1/100 Koenig Monster confirmed (Dengeki Hobby)

Shaggydog

Woo! Is Yamato go to re-release VF-1 in 1/100 scale to go with VB-6?

I'm definitely going to buy it.

No, no, no. I do not want Yamato to release the VF-1 in 1/100 scale. We have enough VF-1 toys already. Another line of VF-1 TV and DYRL varients in yet another scale would just be too much, because we all know that Yamato wouldn't just release only one 1/100 VF-1 toy, they would release all the different head/color varients all over again.....arghhhhhhhhhh!

If Yamato are going to switch their focus to 1/100 scale, I would much rather they concentrate on other VFs that have not been released as toys yet such as the VF-4, VA-3M, VF-5000B, VF-22S, VF-17D/S, VF-3000 etc.

Graham

Woo!  Is Yamato go to re-release VF-1 in 1/100 scale to go with VB-6?

No, no, no. I do not want Yamato to release the VF-1 in 1/100 scale. We have enough VF-1 toys already. Another line of VF-1 TV and DYRL varients in yet another scale would just be too much, because we all know that Yamato wouldn't just release only one 1/100 VF-1 toy, they would release all the different head/color varients all over again.....arghhhhhhhhhh!

If Yamato are going to switch their focus to 1/100 scale, I would much rather they concentrate on other VFs that have not been released as toys yet such as the VF-4, VA-3M, VF-5000B, VF-22S, VF-17D/S, VF-3000 etc.

Graham

I don't think it means a definite switch to 1/100 scale for all new Yamato Macross toys. After all, the Konig even in 1/100 scale will be one big toy. I think anything larger would have been overkill. But what do I know? After all, Yamato has thrown us enough curveballs scale-wise in the Macross toy line to keep even a prophet from guessing correctly. No complaints from me since I'll buy anything they throw at me. ;)

Melissa (who lived through the long drought of Macross toys that meant spending a thousand for a Bandai Strike, Elint, or Ostrich.....or eighty dollars for a bootleg Joons VF-1)

And a question for those in the know: Does anyone know why the VB-6 did not make its appearance in M7? I have heard it was planned for the show and I think I've even seen pics of the Konig with M7 mentioned. So what happened?

Also I was flipping through my recently acquired copy of the Macross VF-X2 Official Visual Guide (thanks Monkey N!) and noticed a picture of Shoji Kawamori standing with a Konig in battroid mode that is almost as tall as he is! (page 83 for those interested). Does anyone know anything about it? Graham? Just wondering what it was made of? (plastic display piece, cardboard mock-up, etc...). I'd be interested to hear where it came from...most likely a mock-up made to promote the game I'd think, but I would like to know for sure.

And I thought the Aticulated Starscream was good news. :o

This thing looks awesome, it's so good to find out that it was true. :D

Can anyone help me get an idea of how tall tha battroid mode will be to the head, the tips of the cannons?

Are we talking Masterpiece Convoy sized here?

I can't wait to see more pictures, Yamato can rest assured of getting my money this time. :rolleyes:

Fort Max

Graham

What he said.

1/72, 1/100, I don't care, as long as they make a VF-4, VF-22, and the others. I'll snatch up every one.

Even at 1/100 the VB-6 will be massive. 30cm. tip to rear, not including the sheer girth of this thing.

If Yamato wants to do 1/100 then fine, we'll same some money, though 1/72 would be preferable. I wouldn't ment spending 40 bucks on a 1/100 and actually buying two or three of each though. Who am I kidding, I would buy two or three at 1/72 as well.

I would guess the Monster will go for around $180 off hand. I'm sure they want as many copies sold as they can, so I doubt they'll make it cost more than a 1/48 VF-1 w/Fast Packs, especially since the size is comparable. I'll buy two.

I really hope this is just the beginning, now that there are not many VF-1's left to make. Yamato has to do something to fill that void after the VF-1 is finally done.

Of course this could lead to a million ethical questions, such as - "who decides if something is canon?  Is there a canon police, etc...".

Yeah, you keep cracking jokes. We'll see how funny it is when the Cannon Police kick in your door and take you away. You'll gain a better appreciation of what's "real" fiction and whats fictional fiction after they've maced you and given you a "nightstick massage."

Really though, some people take this stuff wayyyyyy to seriously. Tell me why again it matters if something appears in the cartoon or not? You either like a toy or you don't. Why base your opinion on whether something has been animated? If The Koenig appeared in Ep 4 of Macross Zero, would it suddenly become "ok" to like it?

Edited by bsu legato

Nice Scope Dog! :p

Tsk tsk, another scale-breaker. I'm not investing in anything that isn't 1/48, 1/60, or 1/72, this is already ridiculous. I really hope that Yamato releases the regular 1/60 Monster. $350 be damned, if they release it, I'll buy it! :D

Exactly.

Personally, I wouldn't be buying this thing anyway. The thing I liked about the Monster was that it just WAS, it was cool without the need for some gay looking robot mode or shuttle mode or what have you.

But for them to introduce yet another scale is ricockulous.

Graham

I don't think it means a definite switch to 1/100 scale for all new Yamato Macross toys. After all, the Konig even in 1/100 scale will be one big toy. I think anything larger would have been overkill. But what do I know? After all, Yamato has thrown us enough curveballs scale-wise in the Macross toy line to keep even a prophet from guessing correctly. No complaints from me since I'll buy anything they throw at me. ;)

Heh... it's kinda funny how Yamato switches from scale to scale, and so we assume that now Yamato is deciding to make a permanent one and 1/100.

I think it's becoming obvious that Yamato has absolutely no desire to limit themselves to any particular scale (just like every other major toy manufacturer) and they'll continue to release things in what they think is the best size/price, etc...

So enough about the scale already! They are not going to make everything in [iNSERT YOU FAVORITE SCALE HERE]. So let's all quit daydreaming.

All that being said, Graham's idea for a line of smaller, lesser-known valks would be a pretty great idea. I'd kill for a VF-4, VF-3000, etc... and maybe this way it wouldn't be as much of a risk for Yamato to make them and gauge fan response.

I'm just happy this bad boy is 30cm! I don't give a rat's ass about the scale, as long as it's a good size to handle and display.

Now I'm going to hide from the canon police... I think BSU is snitching for them. :blink:

Does anybody else think that the fighter mode looks like one of those Zeon Command ships from Gundam?

Also Graham do you think there will be any chance of a Koenig color variant? I'm thinking low viz since those low viz paper monsters looked so good why couldn't the toy.

I'm really glad they are making this...I just hope they are concentrating on making the normal Moster (gerwalk) mode the most accurate. It would really suck if gerwalk looks bad since that's the mode most of us would probably display it in.

All that being said, Graham's idea for a line of smaller, lesser-known valks would be a pretty great idea.  I'd kill for a VF-4, VF-3000, etc... and maybe this way it wouldn't be as much of a risk for Yamato to make them and gauge fan response.

More valk designs would be cool, but if they are all as butt fugly as the 1/100 VF-0, then they shouldn't waste their time.

I really think that Yamato should have held off on the 1/48 line.

THe problem is that after the highly detailed and extremely accurate 1/48, anything else especially in a smaller non-perfect transformation scale looks like worthless crap.

I think they should have released all these little bullshit cheapo toys BEFORE giving us the masterpiece because now I compare everything to my 1/48, and everything pales in comparison.

Edited by Mechamaniac

Really though, some people take this stuff wayyyyyy to seriously. Tell me why again it matters if something appears in the cartoon or not? You either like a toy or you don't. Why base your opinion on whether something has been animated?

Well, when you consider something really, truly lame, it is nice when the creators/license-holders/gods agree and say: "This isn't canon." Then you don't have it in your favorite universe anymore.

My opinion is that making the largest, heaviest monument of a destroid transformable (and able to fly) is silly. It has always struck me as so. I wanted to know if this Monster was something that is accepted as part of the primary, official Macross Universe. Apparently, this question bothers you.

Finally, my initial question aside --I do tend to like the stuff from the primary sources--, whether it is canon or not has only a partial bearing on whether or not I will be buying something. Now that this toy has been established as canon, I still won't be buying it. Yet I have a low-vis. Go figure.

If The Koenig appeared in Ep 4 of Macross Zero, would it suddenly become "ok" to like it?

Nobody ever said it wasn't okay to like it. You just have a different opinion about this toy. And you seem to feel the need to pop into a discussion and mock those who are interested in the origins and canonical status of this toy.

For the record, though, many collectors draw a line between canon and non-canon. Especially in situations where toy license holders go nuts and start creating a bunch of lame crap (Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire, anyone?) based on books or video games. . . only to have all that stuff later "disowned" by the creators.

Instead of dropping in just to pronounce that such concerns are dumb and that I'm somehow wierd and take this "waaaaaay too seriously. . ." why don't you just let people ask their questions and get the proper answers. You know, like what just happened here before you came in to mock it.

H

Does anybody else think that the fighter mode looks like one of those Zeon Command ships from Gundam?

Ahhhhh.....to true.......the Zanzibar Class.....

Which is the REAL VB-6 ?!?!?

He who wins wins absolutely nuthin' !!!

zanzibar.jpg

vb-6-bomber.jpg

zanzibar.jpg

i'm guessing there's gonna be more vf-x stuff coming out...i mean why make the koenig monster if they weren't going to?! i mean the monster is still going to be pretty big...stands about the size of a 1/60 vf-1 in battroid...i guess this is good news for those of us who are too lazy build or don't have enough money to buy the recast kit that's in the model section.

all i know is...i'm going to be doing some serious customizing with this sucker ;)

and yamato is gonna rape my wallet once again! :lol::lol:

I bet ya a fellow MWer will own both the recast kit version and the Yammie 1/100 Transformable Koenig Monster. Lucky him/her!!!

Evidently I struck a nerve. :rolleyes:

Well, when you consider something really, truly lame, it is nice when the creators/license-holders/gods agree and say: "This isn't canon." Then you don't have it in your favorite universe anymore.

My opinion is that making the largest, heaviest monument of a destroid transformable (and able to fly) is silly. It has always struck me as so. I wanted to know if this Monster was something that is accepted as part of the primary, official Macross Universe. Apparently, this question bothers you.

No, actually I'd say that you were the one who is bothered by these things. I merely pointed out that I don't find "canon" debate worth the energy required. Personally, I don't like 75% of the mecha from Macross 7, including the embarrassing clown VF-1s. But guess what? It doesn't keep me up at night, and I certainly don't bother posting many many paragraphs about my hatred for them on internet message boards. Other people...? Like you say, "Go figure."

Instead of dropping in just to pronounce that such concerns are dumb and that I'm somehow wierd and take this "waaaaaay too seriously. . ." why don't you just let people ask their questions and get the proper answers. You know, like what just happened here before you came in to mock it.

You see, now here is an example of you overreacting. The majority of my original post was aimed at Blaine, and NOT you. Blain and I have a mutual disdain for "canon" debates, and "continuity gurus," and the topic of a Continuity Police Force (CPF for short) has come up before. And yet you feel that was somehow expressly mocking you and you alone? Puh-leeze.

And for the record, I don't even like the Koenig Monster, nor will I buy one. I think it's nice that Yamato is doing something else besides VF-1s, and it looks like they're doing a good job with this toy. But it's not a toy for me. So really, what IS your beef with me today?

Hmmm... as far as the practicality of a flying Monster... it does seem a bit silly at first - but that's thinking of it as some sort of a fighter, which it obviously isn't.

I tend to think of it more of a dropship. Instead of having to be brought in by a larger craft or very, very, very slowly walked to the battle lines, the VB-6 can basically drop into the middle of ground combat and kick serious ass.

Once you discount it's inability to do much in aerial combat, the VB-6 makes a great deal of sense, tactically. If I had a major ground conflict, I'd be a happy general if I could call for HQ to send in about 10 of these guys.

30cm Shuttle Mode=bliss  :D

An actual Koenig Monster.  Kick ass, I am so amazed at this.  I wouldn't have thought they'd actually do it, and the shuttle sculpt look gorgeous, I can't wait to see more modes.  I will have multiples of this baby.

This unfortunately leads me to my next point, not to kill the joy or anything.

Two brand new sculpts from scratch.

VF-0

and now the holy crap almighty VB-6!

So....

Where in the bloody hell is the YF-19 :angry:

OK... I'm happy as hell to be seeing this. But another thing is...

... it throws the whole theory about Yamato NOT merchandising anything that doesn't have different schemes for repainting sakes.

This excuse against the VF-4 or SDF-1 just went out the window. But first the -19 must be finished.

It should be next on the block, now that the monster is near it's completion!

Graham

If that will be the case, what will be their sizes? Are they going to be no bigger than 12" or 14"?

Edited by Angel's Fury

How close would you guys say it is to completion?

To me at least, it looks nearly finished. All of the split lines are clean and sharp and all hinges are present, the parts are actually solid looking and the cannons even look as thought they're hollow.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that looks pretty much like a finished toy and not at all like the usually vauge sometimes not totally defined protos that have been seen in the Tf fandom lately.

I asked earlier about the prospective height and did a little comparitive thinking on it, well if it's 30cm long and the wings are just over two thirds of the length then that should give it a hip height of somewhere around 23cm (9") once all of the wings parts have been "pulled out" to make the legs.

Guaging the height of the body and head from this, I reckon it could be around teh same height as Masterpiece Convoy and with the cannons it may even give Unicron a run for his money. B))

This is simply awesome, I hope it's something they've been working on for ages in secrecy and allready reasonably close to releasing it beacuse I can't wait. :D

Fort Max

No, actually I'd say that you were the one who is bothered by these things. I merely pointed out that I don't find "canon" debate worth the energy required.

Uh. . . exactly. I was curious about whether it was canon. So, if you want to say that it "bothered me", fine. Go ahead. But, I'm saying that you are apparently bothered by people discussing it. So much so that you feel it necessary to drop in and mock those who were curious about it.

But guess what? It doesn't keep me up at night, and I certainly don't bother posting many many paragraphs about my hatred for them on internet message boards.

No, but oddly, you do feel compelled to post about people who do want to discuss such things. . . nice.

You see, now here is an example of you overreacting. The majority of my original post was aimed at Blaine, and NOT you.

Funny, I didn't refer (or quote) the part about the "canon police." Only the part where you directly tell those concerned about whether something is canon that they're wasting their time or that they are somehow obsessive because they take things "waaaaaay too seriously."

Further, you asked, quite directly, several questions. I answered them.

And yet you feel that was somehow expressly mocking you and you alone? Puh-leeze.

No, not me alone. But considering I asked the original question and my posts comprised about half of the posts on the topic, I think you can see where I would consider your post to be addressing the topic that I brought up. . . if not me directly. Either way, I don't appreciate someone dropping in, adding nothing substantive, and then impugning the topic which I began, if not me directly.

So really, what IS your beef with me today?

My beef is with the habit so many people have here of dropping into thread and posting a critique, not about someone's argument. . . not about the validity of someone's reasoning. . . nor the veracity of a rumor. . . Nope. My beef is with people who drop into a topic solely to say: "Dude, you're stupid/anal/dorky to even discuss this."

In this case, it was regarding whether something was canon. It is evident that some people care about such things, otherwise there would not be threads discussing it. So, exactly why do you feel the need to pop in just to mock those who do care? Sure, you have a right to do so because it's your opinion. But then I too have the right to point out that popping in just to mock those taking part in a debate is crass, rude, and usually a sign of someone needing to express his sense of superiority over those he considers beneath him.

You don't care about canonical debates. Good for you. Go find a thread where it isn't disussed or ignore the posts where it is. But apparently, you first need to declare the topic lame. Why you feel the need to do so, I have no idea.

I'm sure that in your 1,864 posts, I could find a thread or two where you discuss something I consider stupid or pointless. The difference is: I wouldn't find it necessary to point this out to you. I'd either contribute something substantive to your discussion or move on.

H

Edited by Hurin

You know what. Forget that last post. I guess you could just say that I'm sick and tired of people trying to prove just how laid-back and easy-going they are by dropping into topics only to declare that they don't care about the topic!

It has happened too many times now to count. It wouldn't be so bad if these "easy-going" wannabe hippies could do so while refraining from actually insulting those that do care about the topic at hand. But they rarely do so.

I'm not saying you're one to do that regularly BSU Legato, so I'm sorry that I'm lashing out at you for the transgressions of others over time. My apologies.

But so help me, I'm so damn tired of people waltzing into threads and essentially saying:

"You guys are geeks for caring about this. Look at me. I don't care about it. Aren't I cool? God, I'm just so much cooler than you."

H

Dude, let it go. Seriously. I could argue this with you point-by-point, quote-for-quote all day. But like I said in my first post, its not worth it.

And my initial two points were realted, since neither "canon debates" nor Continuity Police deserve the debate they so regularly receive. But I'm sure you'll disagree with some or all of this post. Feel free to quote and requote me into next week, but I'm done "debating" this with you.

Edit: you've reposted that you too are done with arguing, so we can both just walk away. Ok?

Edited by bsu legato

I'm not one of those guys anyway. Besides, I don't even know what the term "canon" means or what makes it /what doesn't make it "canon". Btw, do any of you guys know (for the 2nd time and I hope I'm not annoying you guys be asking this) what will be the sizes for the VF-4, VA-3M, VF-5000B, VF-22S,VF-19, VF-17D/S, VF-3000 etc. in 1/100 scale?

Edited by Angel's Fury

I'm not one of those guys anyway. Besides, I don't even know what the term "canon" means or what makes it /what doesn't make it "canon".

Well... the only true answer is that we can all be certain that this is cannon.

Say hello, cannon.

post-4-1082744220.jpg

Hmmm... as far as the practicality of a flying Monster... it does seem a bit silly at first - but that's thinking of it as some sort of a fighter, which it obviously isn't.

I tend to think of it more of a dropship. Instead of having to be brought in by a larger craft or very, very, very slowly walked to the battle lines, the VB-6 can basically drop into the middle of ground combat and kick serious ass.

Once you discount it's inability to do much in aerial combat, the VB-6 makes a great deal of sense, tactically. If I had a major ground conflict, I'd be a happy general if I could call for HQ to send in about 10 of these guys.

There’s also a scene of the VB6 being escorted by a couple of VF-1 on the intro movie of VX-2. The jets would keep the enemy busy while the monster lands for destruction.

Like Blaine, I believe the fighter mode was intended to be used for tactical relocation of the biggest thing they got on the shelve. Something Like flying a whole bunch of M1A2 Abrams straight into the field. And the “fighter” is actually a bomber, so it is assumed that this thing has some cargo capabilities for bombs (or maybe they just drop the shells from the “monster cannons” straight over the enemy's head. :blink:

You know what's crazy: that most of these 7 pages has been devoted to wether the damn thing is canon or not, which we all know it is, yet continue to mention.

Where are the sculpt opinions? Hopes? Criticosms? How many are you going to buy? What price do you think it is? Is there anyone foolish to think whis will be less than $150? What smoldering heap that was once a MG Gundam (or other 1/100 model) will you pose it standing on top of victoriously? Will it be supported safely on one of the acrylic stands in shuttle mode?

lets get over it folks....already...a thousand time over.... :rolleyes:

i think its great and all i care about is that its a durable high quality toy with a reasonable price tag(lets not go there folks). ;)

people keep talking about scales like you guys were actually playing with this stuff. who cares if its not to scale with all the other valks? are you making a movie or diorama using all your valks and everything else yamato releases? :rolleyes:

if you think its a cool toy, its cool, if you don't, thats fine too, but to complain about a toy that hasn't hit the market....its completely f-in pointless!

wait, see, hold, then complain, it makes more sense that way and you'll have some "real ammo" to back up your half-assed statements.

on a side note,

boy it sucks to post in this section...its like frakkin revolving door with the same arguements, from the same people, who over analyze everyones posts....over and over again and again and again and again..... :rolleyes:

grow the frakk up and argue amongst yourself through PM's since no one here wants to read your pointless repetitive drivel everytime some new comes out.....

and for those of you who are planning to rip into me for my post, you're exactly the members i'm talking about so please bitch away and prove me right! :lol:

This kicks ARSE!!!

But hey! Why no Destroid shots, or Gerwalk? (is that what you call it for the VB-6?)

And doesn't this mech have the four large canons?? I don't see them.... Am I just an idiot? :p

You know what's crazy:  that most of these 7 pages has been devoted to wether the damn thing is canon or not, which we all know it is, yet continue to mention.

Where are the sculpt opinions?  Hopes?  Criticosms?  How many are you going to buy?  What price do you think it is?  Is there anyone foolish to think whis will be less than $150?  What smoldering heap that was once a MG Gundam (or other 1/100 model) will you pose it standing on top of victoriously?  Will it be supported safely on one of the acrylic stands in shuttle mode?

Thank you for saying that on my behalf, even though I still don't know what "canon" means. Btw, got an answer to my question? Anybody?

Edited by Angel's Fury

Actually, if I only look at this thing as a toy, I rather like it. If I did buy it, I'd display it in battroid mode, as to me that is the most distinctive and intimidating form. Gerwalk is too close to the basic Monster.

OTOH, there's only so much space/funds I'm willing to devote to toys, so I do limit myself to stuff that's actually in the cartoons that I know and enjoy. After all, that's where my primary interest lies. Plus, as cool as the König looks, I find it rather implausible. Yes, the "mobile artillery/dropship" concept makes sense--but why the battroid form?

i think its great and all i care about is that its a durable high quality toy with a reasonable price tag(lets not go there folks).  ;)

people keep talking about scales like you guys were actually playing with this stuff.  who cares if its not to scale with all the other valks? are you making a movie or diorama using all your valks and everything else yamato releases?    :rolleyes:

if you think its a cool toy, its cool, if you don't, thats fine too, but to complain about a toy that hasn't hit the market....its completely f-in pointless! 

wait, see, hold, then complain, it makes more sense that way and you'll have some "real ammo" to back up your half-assed statements. 

on a side note,

boy it sucks to post in this section...its like frakkin revolving door with the same arguements, from the same people, who over analyze everyones posts....over and over again and again and again and again.....  :rolleyes:

grow the frakk up and argue amongst yourself through PM's since no one here wants to read your pointless repetitive drivel everytime some new comes out.....

and for those of you who are planning to rip into me for my post, you're exactly the members i'm talking about so please bitch away and prove me right!  :lol:

Mmmmmm, irony. :rolleyes:

i think its great and all i care about is that its a durable high quality toy with a reasonable price tag(lets not go there folks).  ;)

people keep talking about scales like you guys were actually playing with this stuff.  who cares if its not to scale with all the other valks? are you making a movie or diorama using all your valks and everything else yamato releases?    :rolleyes:

on a side note,

boy it sucks to post in this section...its like frakkin revolving door with the same arguements, from the same people, who over analyze everyones posts....over and over again and again and again and again.....  :rolleyes:

and for those of you who are planning to rip into me for my post, you're exactly the members i'm talking about so please bitch away and prove me right!  :lol:

Mmmmmm, irony. :rolleyes:

Mmmmmmmm, EXACTLY!