New High Maneuver Missile (Circa 2040-)

just a nitpick but forward dorsal is a oxymoron.

How do you figure that? When forward is a direction (on the x-axis), left or right and dorsal refers to an above/top surface (y-axis direction away from/perpendicular to the x-axis)?

dor·sal (dôr“s…l) adj. 1. Anatomy. Of, toward, on, in, or near the back or upper surface of an organ, a part, or an organism

I see.... I stand corrected then. Thank you.

Yeah but the definition says or, meaning it could be but not always.

Nanashi, you are correct and Zentrandude is misreading the definition. "Back" is itself ambiguous, sometimes being synonomous with "dorsal" and sometimes referring to the rear. From Dictionary.com

back1    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (bk)

n.

1. The posterior portion of the trunk of the human body between the neck and the pelvis; the dorsum.

2. The analogous dorsal region in other animals.

2. The backbone or spine.

3. The part or area farthest from the front. (etc.)

To avoid confusion one could use anterior/posterior instead of forward/back.

For an example of the use of "forward dorsal" in a zoological context, see http://www.rook.org/earl/bwca/nature/fish/...stedioncan.html

Note the use of the term and the fact that the fish has a forward dorsal fin and a rearward dorsal fin.

Put another way the dorsal fin(s) of a fish is/are on top of its back. Since people walk upright, if we had dorsal fins, they'd be behind our backs.

dor·sal (dôr“s…l) adj. 1. Anatomy. Of, toward, on, in, or near the back or upper surface of an organ, a part, or an organism

I see.... I stand corrected then. Thank you.

Yeah but the definition says or, meaning it could be but not always.

what it means is:

of the back

toward the back

on the back

in the back

OR

near the back

of, toward, on, in, and near are all refering to the back. "near the back" isn't a seperate description.

whew.... i though diagraming scentances was stupid.

i what i meant for dorsol is usualy top center to rear before you consider it tail but for missile its either wing, fin, or canard. for the right word instead of forward dorsol would be carnard. AGM1198.gif

"Forward dorsal" is fine. You'll note the dictionary definitions don't have naval/aeronautical usage in them. 

david should know avaition tech is always following nature in most of the designs from the begining with birds, to fish like sharks on the jet age, to incects on future spy tech in development. you cant have one without the other.

Nanashi, you are correct and Zentrandude is misreading the definition. "Back" is itself ambiguous, sometimes being synonomous with "dorsal" and sometimes referring to the rear. From Dictionary.com
back1    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (bk)

n.

1. The posterior portion of the trunk of the human body between the neck and the pelvis; the dorsum.

2. The analogous dorsal region in other animals.

2. The backbone or spine.

3. The part or area farthest from the front. (etc.)

To avoid confusion one could use anterior/posterior instead of forward/back.

For an example of the use of "forward dorsal" in a zoological context, see http://www.rook.org/earl/bwca/nature/fish/...stedioncan.html

Note the use of the term and the fact that the fish has a forward dorsal fin and a rearward dorsal fin.

Put another way the dorsal fin(s) of a fish is/are on top of its back. Since people walk upright, if we had dorsal fins, they'd be behind our backs.

accualy its 1st dorsol fin not forward dorsol.

edit: you need acrobat reader

fish 101

Edited by Zentrandude

Where would the VF-19 and VF-22 carry these missiles? In the leg bays?

The variable Resin Garage Kit of the YF-19 by Hobby Base Retppu shows these new type High Maneuver Missiles as being mounted on the YF-19's wings, 2-missiles per pylon. See picture below.

However, please bear in mind that this may just be the manufacture's interpretation of how the missiles are carried and may not be canon.

Graham

Which makes me wonder how the VF-19 would fold its wings with the stores attached. :blink:

Carefully. ;)

By the way, do you mean "wing-folding" or "wing-sweeping" - they're somewhat different, folding being used to reduce the space an aircraft takes up in a confined area (typically an aircraft carrier), while sweeping allows the wings to swing forward or back to alter the aerodynamics of the aircraft - we know the YF-19 can do this but I haven't seen anything to suggest it can fold its wings...?

Those missiles look like the AAMs from Yukikaze. :blink:

Considering that Yukikaze came 9 years after Macross Plus, it would be more correct to say that the AMMs in Yukikaze look like the missiles from Macross Plus :D

Graham

You got my point anyways. :rolleyes: