Which 1/48 first...?

Six

I recently bought my first two Macross "toys":

A MBR-04-MkIV (don't know the skale - it's a neat little posable "super dimension figure") and a 1/60 Super VF-1J Miria.

I'm very pleased with both, but I'm not quite satisfied with the 1/60, especially because of the need to remove the legs during transformation - that's why I think about buying a 1/48.

So my question is which 1/48 should I get, when I just want to buy a single one, or which is best to start a collection?

(Honestly I don't want to spend a lot of money and personally don't feel the need to own three/four of all Valks out there... though that may change. ;) )

Are there any significant differences between the different versions?

(I read the reviews in the MW toy section. But what about the 1/48 J? Or are there any changes from the samples/prototypes to the final retail versions?)

And are the Super/Strike parts that are sold seperately compatible with all 1/48?

Thanks in advance...

So my question is which 1/48 should I get, when I just want to buy a single one, or which is best to start a collection?

It's all personal preference... but if you're buying ONE, you should go with:

The 1/48 VF-1S: Nothing like that yellow/black true-to-life Skull-1 color-scheme. I even prefer it over those overrated low-vis dealio's (the only thing those got going for themselves is the availability and low production issue; and because of this, everybody wants one... and, of course, the price. Hell, if you want the same effect, buy some gray paint and spray the frakk out of it.... that'll save ya some $$$$).

Be cool, like me, and get the ONE and only VF-1S.

And yes, the armour is a seperate buy (well, unless you get the VF -1J or the other upcoming "series" type)

Here are some direct links:

1/48 VF-1S

1/48 Fast Packs

There are also sticker sheets you can buy so you don't have to ruin the ones that come with it. Get ready to pay about $200 for all of the above (to me it's expensive, but well, WELL worth it)... hence, the reason I only own one. But I love it!

Edited by fifbeat

I too would reccomend buying any of the VF-1 1/48 DYRL valks (Roy 1S, Hikaru 1A, Max 1A - pick whichever one you like the best) and then buying the Super/Strike Armor Set. That way you get more variety in how you configure the armor. With the newer TV series VF-1J valks, you can't have a Strike valk.

Make sure you get the second release of the DYRL Skull One, or Hikaru 1A - because some mistakes/flaws were corrected in the 2nd edition.

Trust me, it's well worth the money - if you love yours half as much as the members here, then you'll be a happy Macross fan.

I too would reccomend buying any of the VF-1 1/48 DYRL valks (Roy 1S, Hikaru 1A, Max 1A - pick whichever one you like the best) and then buying the Super/Strike Armor Set.  That way you get more variety in how you configure the armor.  With the newer TV series VF-1J valks, you can't have a Strike valk.

Why can't you configure the Strike version armor on the VF-1J TV style?

I know it won't match the animation exactly, but is there anything in the design of the Valk or armor set that prohibits you setting up a Strike style armor on the TV style 1J?

EDIT: It does appear that if you buy the TV style 1J and armor as a set it only comes with the Super parts and not the Strike parts (can anyone confirm this for sure?) but is there any reason you can't take the VF-1J by itself and buy the DYRL FAST packs separately?

Edited by RTShark

Aside from just getting whichever one you fancy, you should be aware that the first production runs of the Hikaru 1A and the Roy 1S had some problems which were fixed in all subsequent 1/48's, as well as the second runs of the Hikaru 1A and Roy 1S.

The problems I'm aware of are nosecones that come off too easily, wing flaps that fall off, and on the Roy only, skewed skull insignia and dimples on the head. I think the 1A's problems are less frequent and less severe--I have one and I don't have any complaints.

The later 1/48's may also be able to hold a 90 degree elbow angle slightly better.

How to tell the difference between versions? I don't remember. I think maybe the new versions don't have velcro on the box flap.

See the pinned "what's wrong with my" thread for more details.

There really isn't anything keeping you from buying a set of strike armor if you get the -1J, no. All the Valks are identical, and can use the armor (as far as I know).

There are three main differences between the separate strike parts and the ones that come with the VF-1J. Mainly, the VF-1J parts are more of a green color to match the tv show, the arm armor is a little different shape, and it doesn't include the extra part to replace one of the booster launchers with the beam cannon. If you're not at all concerned with accuracy to the show, and want the strike cannon, go ahead and get the strike armor separately, then buy the Valk of your choice to put it on.

Personally, I went ahead and got the -1J with the armor...Besides the uniqueness of the set, I figured if I was going to just get one 1/48th, I might as well save on shipping, and get the whole thing at once. But that may change depending on if I get a good paying job this summer. I'd certainly like to have a strike -1S to display as well. :)

Edited by Chronocidal

Most Macross, and dare I say Robotech :ph34r: , fans will agree that the center piece of any VF-1 collection is Roy's ride. Second to that would be Hikaru's VF-1J, the second hero mecha of the series. Whichever one you chose, however, will not disappoint you...they're gorgeous pieces for display and play. Just beware not to overstress the backpack hinge once you get one; they're the one Achilles' heel of the 1/48 design.

Edited by mechaninac

go with the

VF-1S

or the

VF-1J

it really doesn't matter which one you pick cause you'll be buying more....

and soon you'll become a valkoholic like the rest of us. :lol

i started with just one...now i'm grown ass man with a lot of toys. <_<:lol:

I don't understand why people put it up to everyone else to figure out what valkyrie they should get.... pick your favorite DYRL type and get that one (or get the Hikaru 1J, or wait a bit and get the Max or Milia), none of us can help you with that decision.

whatever, dude.

ok that was COMPLETELY unnecessary, kthanksbye... :rolleyes:

as to the question:

I would actually go with the vf1j fastpack.

you only get one config, sure, but if you have to get one thing, that might be the way to go.

he IS the hero after all.

and you can always HOPE yamato can read minds and decides to 1/48 a gbp

I haven't heard any serious complaints since the DYRL max type... I think you'll be pretty happy getting any of the re-issues or any of the newer valks.

So just get the one you want and you should be fine.

IMO, I don't quite like the 1/48 VF-1j head, can't put my finger on it but it looks just a little wrong to me... maybe the neck is too long?

My favorite is still the 1s head... head seam or not. On my focker reissue it's hardly noticable.

First stock 1/48? I would say VF-1S Hikaru from DYRL. It is out of stock and out of production until the next run. 2nd hardest to find 1/48 next to the Low Vis. My personal favorite with FP setup.

Want a unique 1/48? Get a customized 1/48 such as an Enigma, Cannon Fodder, Blue Rose or even a simple repaint like DYRL VF-1S Max and VF-1A Kakikazi.

One hard core Macross fan just had his customized VF-1S Max shipped and could show pictures once he receives his. :D My VF-1A Kakikazi is almost done and will be up for sale. Pictures to follow.

Otherwise, you can't go wrong with Roys VF-1S (get a reissue) or Hikaru's TV VF-1J. Those two are THE standards in Macross.

Edited by Neova

My advise is... DON'T!

Buying valkyrie is just like smoking,

it's both addictive and hazardous to your wallet.

Quit while you still can....

Agree this that ! :D Joke aside as told before the 1S is "the" valkyrie to get (I prefer the roy one personnaly but hikaru's Strike is handsome too).

I purchased my 1S Roy absolutly certain that it will be the one and only one 1/48 on my shelves (too pricey to be bought without thinking about it twice)

But i was weak and now all the 1/48 are on my toyshelves : i ate a lot of cup noodles during some months :D

To make up your mind easily watch DYRL movie again. It will probably help. :)

ok....i own a VF-1S, its my first(and only) valkyrie purchase ever, hope u all can answer some of my questions....

1)do any of you actually use the stickers???? id did, certain ones don't fit, so i had to cut the edges to make way for other stickers, plus, the stickers seem like really easy to come off around the edges, so i cut away all the edges.... will the plane lose MUCH of its value after i stuck on everythink(nicely)...i intended to display it in my room, so i didn't want a 'plain' valkyrie...esp. since it looks so much better after having stickers....imo....

2)actually, no second question...lol

here's a review of some problems about the VF-1S 1st edition(which i have...)

1)the nose cone drops of EASILY, when transforming vlaks, place the nose cone in a safe place before u transform it, its BOUND to fall off....

2)the wing flaps move around during transformation, but it doesn't come off that easily

3)contary to the instructions, you can't fit two of the cockpit stickers into a single cockpit w/o cutting away the transparent edges first.....or is it a standard porcedure to cut away the transparent bits first?

4)this is the part that comes off super easily, the flap at the front wheel, its not really a flap, its the thing sticking out from the front wheel, that piece comes off nearly all the time.....

5)turning the head around during transformation is quite hard

no other problems, very satisfied with my purchase, got it for SGD$220(singapore dollars) which is US$130.30....very expensive IMO, NOT going to buy any more valks EVER

I don't understand why people put it up to everyone else to figure out what valkyrie they should get....

Well, I just wanted to know if I might regret buying a certain Valk just because of personal preferences.

(e.g. the toy I'd choose because I like the design or character who pilots it, may have some design/production flaws...)

Thanks for all Your answers! :D

(After reading the first answer I thought I might have said/done something offensive... or just smell bad. ;) )

P.S.: I really like the low vis paint job... but I watched some on eBay go for 200+ $U.S. :blink:

Get urself one right away i was hesitant initially but after owning basically all earlier series of valks the 1/55 1/72 1/60 THIS is the perfect toy i came across with clean transformation and details which almost took my breath away got myself another one soon after my first VF1J ! Check it out .....

post-4-1080484333_thumb.jpg

:huh: this need to ask.........? get your most favourite 4 god sake.

:lol: i will say it's hard to keep 1 only.

well if u want those look nice, i highly reccomend

top1-1Amaxi(nice with all transform modes)

number2-1Sfokker(nice with gerwalk)

last-1Jhikaru(thou my fav,look little dull in battroid)

if u want sumthing rare n worthy, get low vis.

suitable for custom stickers without much modify needed.

lastly 1J is gonna be nice for display in fighter/gerwalk with FB n yama comin hanger.

Thanks again.

As I said in some other thread, I'm currently waiting for my 1/48 VF-1J Super to arrive! :D

Plus an 1/60 Ostrich I got quite "cheap"... I think I'm going to buy an 1/60 Elintseeker as well, but I just don't know whether to get me a 1/60 VF-1J Super Max to accompany my 1/60 VF-1J Super Miria, or to wait and get them both in 1/48 (if I can afford that)?! B))

@eming: I'll do some research before transforming...

It was fun to figure out how the 1/60's transformation works - though it took me some time! ;)

If you plan collecting the whole line,I would start with the Low-Vis. The longer you wait on it, the more rediculous of a amount you will have to pay for one. If not, then just grab your personal favorite, I doubt you will be disappointed with whichever one you choose.