Question about gundam anime

jwinges

I was wondering if these are any good to see. I like stuff like 8th ms, char's counterattack, The original gundam, 0083, and 0080. I dispise G-gundam and Gundam wing. Please help.

Would I like

F91

MS Gundam 0083 OVA, (is this the same as 0083?)

MS gundam 0083 Stardust memory the movie (again is this the same as 0083?)

Gundam Evolve

Help I don't want to buy anything that sucks.

0083 is an OVA period. The movie (Last Blitz of Zeon) was a compilation of the series, rather crappily put together from what I heard.

F91 I haven't seen yet. Opinions vary.

Gundam Evolve is just a series of shorts highlighting different mobile suits in action. 2-5 are in CG. The 1st is a mixture of footage with the original RX-78-2

2 is the Gundam Mk. II

3 is the God Gundam

4 is the GP03 Dendrobium

5 is the Nu Gundam (cel/cg mix focusing more on Quess and the Alpha. Good soundtrack)

The Evolves you can safely download.

You already saw the original, 0080, and 0083, so that leaves the remainder of UC (Z,ZZ,F91 movie, V) and then Seed for a good AC. You should like those. Other than that there's X and Turn-A. Try mahq.net to see if any of these are your cup of tea.

Edited by Anubis

I was wondering if these are any good to see.  I like stuff like 8th ms, char's counterattack, The original gundam, 0083, and 0080.  I dispise G-gundam and Gundam wing.  Please help.

Would I like

F91

Gundam Evolve

0080 is very character centric, but very nice. 0083 is the complete oposite. Everything besides the animation, designs and soundtrack sucks.

As for F91... its an aquired taste. Personally, I enjoy watching it. But at the same time, I can see where many ppl come from whne they say they don't like it. If you have a chance to rent it first... do it. It has same quality animation as CCA, but they took a 40 something episode long TV show and crammed it into a movie. Has one of the best Gundam main characters.

Edited by Abombz!!

I thought SEED wasn't part of the UC timeline?

F91's not too bad, nearly preferable to Quess' screeching in Char's Counterattack.

0083 OVAs are great, IMO. There's some classic Gundam ships/mobile suits/imagery in it that looks a helluva lot better than the original animation.

I thought SEED wasn't part of the UC timeline?

F91's not too bad, nearly preferable to Quess' screeching in Char's Counterattack.

0083 OVAs are great, IMO. There's some classic Gundam ships/mobile suits/imagery in it that looks a helluva lot better than the original animation.

F91 could have been so much better if they had kept it as a TV series, but I guess something happened, and they had to change mid-way.

0083 is ok; it had great eye candy (GP03, Neiul Zieul, and Xamel looked incredible). However plot leaves something to be desired.

Edit: Oh, Seed is definatly NOT part of the UC timeline.

Edited by j_wong00

F91: Was nice I have this. I wished it was longer.

MS gundam 0083 Stardust memory the movie (again is this the same as 0083 OVA?): If you seen the OVA no need to see the movie.

Gundam Evolve: I seen the first 4 and liked them.

I did not like G-Gundam either.

I was wondering if these are any good to see.  I like stuff like 8th ms, char's counterattack, The original gundam, 0083, and 0080.  I dispise G-gundam and Gundam wing.  Please help.

Would I like

F91

Gundam Evolve

Rent them all first. 0080 is heavily character centric. 0083 the movie is something you should avoid like the devil avoids the cross.

woman!!! he said he saw and liked 0080 and 0083. lol.

F91 has nice mechanical designs and technically neat animation... but the plot, characters and pacing of the movie make you want to just fast forward between the shooty bits.

F91 has to have the funniest anime death of all time in it: poor civilian running from the Crossbone Vanguard takes a MS-sized spent shell casing to the head... instant death... and laughs! :lol:

I put Seed OUTSIDE the parenthesis to mean alternate. Geez, I changed it to specify clearer.

Would I like

F91

Gundam Evolve

Rent them all first. 0080 is heavily character centric. 0083 the movie is something you should avoid like the devil avoids the cross.

Before using such offensive tone on me.... I would appreciate if you actually READ his post!!!! He asked a question... I answered it. What did you do? Spam the thread with useless BS.

What? Besides being uncapable of spelling words properly you can't read either?

Edited by Abombz!!

Once G gundam got past the introductory episodes, and got to Shinjuku City, I found it rather enjoyable actually. Good for something different. Not really that serious, but a fun ride. Some of the mobile fighter designs (Master) were pretty good too. The in-joke in the last episode was great with all kinds of UC mobile suits making cameos, as well as an early Wing Gundam. I caught the RX-78, Zeta, Mk. II (I think), GP01fb, and a bunch more.

G-savior is only useful as an expensive coaster. The CG G-savior unit itself wasn't too bad. The other designs sucked, the plot was written by a middle school student, the acting sucked, and they couldn't pick a scale for the suits. Home of the crappiest GM EVER.

I haven't heard many opinions on Turn A. I don't like the main design at all, but how was the show in general for those who have seen it?

Once G gundam got past the introductory episodes, and got to Shinjuku City, I found it rather enjoyable actually. Good for something different. Not really that serious, but a fun ride. Some of the mobile fighter designs (Master) were pretty good too. The in-joke in the last episode was great with all kinds of UC mobile suits making cameos, as well as an early Wing Gundam. I caught the RX-78, Zeta, Mk. II (I think), GP01fb, and a bunch more.

G-savior is only useful as an expensive coaster. The CG G-savior unit itself wasn't too bad. The other designs sucked, the plot was written by a middle school student, the acting sucked, and they couldn't pick a scale for the suits. Home of the crappiest GM EVER.

I haven't heard many opinions on Turn A. I don't like the main design at all, but how was the show in general for those who have seen it?

I have seen the Turn A movies, and like you I had some reservations as I didn't like the MS designs (the original ones anyway).

However, once you start watching it, it's got a good story (different, but still kept the primary theme of Gundam), good characters, and the Mustached Gundam starts to grow on you; I think the reason why it actually looked better as it went along, was the fact that they did an excellent job animating the mech.

It's movements were smooth, yet still moved like a machine.

Overall, I would recomend watching Turn A.

Excellent in general. Quite different, which was a bonus.

Good luck finding watchable copies of it though.

Excellent in general. Quite different, which was a bonus.

Hmm... I must hunt down the series then. The damn movies make absolutely no sense whatsoever. Maybe because they cut out most things to fit in the time allowed.

Case in point, the first five or so episodes of the series were shown in the first five minutes of the movie. My head spun.

I read the the HK boot's subs were god awful for Turn A. I'll wait until a better version comes out or Bandai releases it in R1. It's not a question of "if" so much as "when" they get around to it thankfully at least.

I read the the HK boot's subs were god awful for Turn A. I'll wait until a better version comes out or Bandai releases it in R1. It's not a question of "if" so much as "when" they get around to it thankfully at least.

You heard correctly. I've seen examples of them and they're completely awful. It's better not to watch it than subject yourself to those.

Unfortunately Turn-A has been passed over by fansubbers so good quality releases only exist up to episode 6, and not so good quality releases up to 11. After that, nothing.

Before using such offensive tone on me.... I would appreciate if you actually READ his post!!!! He asked a question... I answered it. What did you do? Spam the thread with useless BS.

What? Besides being uncapable of spelling words properly you can't read either?

I like

this means he likes what followes

stuff like 8th ms

and

char's counterattack

and

The original gundam,

he lieks 0083

and 0080

H ealso lieks 0080.

His question was if the moive and the ova where the same as 0083. he thought 083 was a tv show. and I was jokign around!!! chill.

I was reading through this post out of curriosity about Gundam.

Now I'm not trying to fan the flames of a poinless argument... BUT!

uncapable
is spelled "incapable"
in·ca·pa·ble    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (n-kp-bl)

adj.

1. a. Lacking the necessary ability, capacity, or power: incapable of carrying a tune; incapable of love.

b. Unable to perform adequately; incompetent: an incapable administrator.

2. Usage Problem. Not susceptible to action or treatment: a unique feat, incapable of duplication. See Usage Note at able.

3. Law. Lacking legal qualifications or requirements; ineligible.

:passes out chill pills:

arguements are better left for PM or some other place than in a public forum

with that said...

I've been meaning to look into Gundam to see if I would like it, I have caught SD Gundam on Cartoon Network (IMO its a joke, anything has to be better than that). I'll have to see if I can find any of the forementioned Gundam versions/releases.

I've been meaning to look into Gundam to see if I would like it, I have caught SD Gundam on Cartoon Network (IMO its a joke, anything has to be better than that). I'll have to see if I can find any of the forementioned Gundam versions/releases.

SD Gundam Force is absolutely, bar none, no doubt about it, the WORST way possible to get into Gundam.

Even worse than Wing or G Gundam, and that's saying a hell of a whole lot.

I recommend starting with the Gundam Movies. I just hope you can overlook the dated animation and see and appreciate the story ;-)

Or find, download, and watch Gundam SEED. It has a rather bouncy Captain and a giant merchandising machine to back it up.

I was reading through this post out of curriosity about Gundam.

Now I'm not trying to fan the flames of a poinless argument... BUT!

uncapable
is spelled "incapable"
in·ca·pa·ble    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (n-kp-bl)

adj.

1. a. Lacking the necessary ability, capacity, or power: incapable of carrying a tune; incapable of love.

b. Unable to perform adequately; incompetent: an incapable administrator.

2. Usage Problem. Not susceptible to action or treatment: a unique feat, incapable of duplication. See Usage Note at able.

3. Law. Lacking legal qualifications or requirements; ineligible.

:passes out chill pills:

arguements are better left for PM or some other place than in a public forum

with that said...

:D

For US releases, you can find the following available on DVD from Bandai (in production order, not release order):

- Mobile Suit Gundam TV series English dub only, no original sountrack with sub and one of the episodes that was voted by fans to be one of their favorite episodes (see March issue of Gundam Ace) was completely removed. You should avoid this and wait for a complete version with sub is released, or get

- Mobile Suit Gundam movies trilogy Box set of 3 DVDs with sub and a remixed soundtrack. Basically a condensed version of the TV series with some changes, a good introduction to Gundam if you are curious as to how the whole thing started.

- Char's Counterattack This theatrical feature concludes the Amuro vs. Char rivalry started in the original Mobile Suit Gundam series. Not a good movie to watch if you have not seen Mobile Suit Gundam and Zeta Gundam (due out later this year on DVD in the US) already

- Mobile Fighter G Gundam A wacky take on the Gundam theme by turning them into machines of tournament fighting... or the other way around? Hated by purists, this series is more meant for fans of the Dragon Ball and Super Robot genres. This is the series that started the whole "mass Gundam" syndrome plaguing most recent Gundam shows. Whereas before Gundams was the top-of-the-line, feared weapon every ace dream of destroying, now even a janitor gets their custom Gundam thanks to the trend set by this show.

- Gundam Wing Power Rangers meets Pretty Boy Band meets Gundam, with a plot that twists for its own sake. Very popular with the girls and the non-straight community. This was the first Gundam show put on American TV and caused the whole Wing vs. UC controversy, as new fans expected every other show to be like Wing (which might explain why when Mobile Suit Gundam was shown on TV it received poor ratings) while the oldtime fans bitched how this show ruined Gundam fandom in the US.

- Endless Waltz A 3-episode OVA (the movie version is also included on the same DVD) that takes place a year after the events depicted in Gundam Wing. Not recommended unless you've seen the entire run of Gundam Wing, otherwise the paper thin plot won't make any sense. Slick mecha designs and animation quality, everything else sucked.

- G-Saviour A live action made-for-TV movie with poor CG elements, a weak cast, and a tired plot device (evil government has solution for world hunger but keeps it secret to maintain the status quo, hero finds out and saves the world. Yawn). Stay away for the sake of your own good. This is the least liked Gundam show (if it even is one) of them all. Even with SD Gundam, I am still inclined to watch that than G-Saviour. At least SD Gundam doesn't pretend the show is better than its audience. <_<

For US releases, you can find the following available on DVD from Bandai (in production order, not release order):

- Mobile Suit Gundam TV series English dub only, no original sountrack with sub and one of the episodes that was voted by fans to be one of their favorite episodes (see March issue of Gundam Ace) was completely removed. You should avoid this and wait for a complete version with sub is released, or get

- Mobile Suit Gundam movies trilogy Box set of 3 DVDs with sub and a remixed soundtrack. Basically a condensed version of the TV series with some changes, a good introduction to Gundam if you are curious as to how the whole thing started.

- Char's Counterattack This theatrical feature concludes the Amuro vs. Char rivalry started in the original Mobile Suit Gundam series. Not a good movie to watch if you have not seen Mobile Suit Gundam and Zeta Gundam (due out later this year on DVD in the US) already

- Mobile Fighter G Gundam A wacky take on the Gundam theme by turning them into machines of tournament fighting... or the other way around? Hated by purists, this series is more meant for fans of the Dragon Ball and Super Robot genres. This is the series that started the whole "mass Gundam" syndrome plaguing most recent Gundam shows. Whereas before Gundams was the top-of-the-line, feared weapon every ace dream of destroying, now even a janitor gets their custom Gundam thanks to the trend set by this show.

- Gundam Wing Power Rangers meets Pretty Boy Band meets Gundam, with a plot that twists for its own sake. Very popular with the girls and the non-straight community. This was the first Gundam show put on American TV and caused the whole Wing vs. UC controversy, as new fans expected every other show to be like Wing (which might explain why when Mobile Suit Gundam was shown on TV it received poor ratings) while the oldtime fans bitched how this show ruined Gundam fandom in the US.

- Endless Waltz A 3-episode OVA (the movie version is also included on the same DVD) that takes place a year after the events depicted in Gundam Wing. Not recommended unless you've seen the entire run of Gundam Wing, otherwise the paper thin plot won't make any sense. Slick mecha designs and animation quality, everything else sucked.

- G-Saviour A live action made-for-TV movie with poor CG elements, a weak cast, and a tired plot device (evil government has solution for world hunger but keeps it secret to maintain the status quo, hero finds out and saves the world. Yawn). Stay away for the sake of your own good. This is the least liked Gundam show (if it even is one) of them all. Even with SD Gundam, I am still inclined to watch that than G-Saviour. At least SD Gundam doesn't pretend the show is better than its audience. <_<

AFAIK, the absolute last UC gundam would be F-91 (well, and the Crossbone Gundam manga series...). As someone said before, it was meant to be a TV series, before something happened and they turned it into a movie. Pity.

So ideally, to get the chronological order right, you would watch:

Z

ZZ

Char

F-91

Do I have that right?

G Gundam is pretty good, just don't take it seriously and you'll be fine. Watch it for gits and giggles.

Wing is a poor excuse of a Gundam series...

Seed isn't too bad, at least they went old school with the mech designs.

AFAIK, the absolute last UC gundam would be F-91 (well, and the Crossbone Gundam manga series...).  As someone said before, it was meant to be a TV series, before something happened and they turned it into a movie.  Pity.

So ideally, to get the chronological order right, you would watch:

Z

ZZ

Char

F-91

Do I have that right?

G Gundam is pretty good, just don't take it seriously and you'll be fine.  Watch it for gits and giggles.

Wing is a poor excuse of a Gundam series...

Seed isn't too bad, at least they went old school with the mech designs.

UC Chronology:

original Mobile Suit Gundam tv

0080 OVA

8th MS Team OVA

0083 OVA

Zeta tv

ZZ tv

Char's Counterattack movie

F91 Movie

V tv

I refuse to accept G-savior as part of the real continuity.

Edited by Anubis

Oops, I don't know how I left out The 08th MS Team in my list. It's out as an OVA series and the movie "Miller's Report" on DVD. I am not sure if "Last Resort" was included in the US release of the OVA DVD though.

Turn-A Gundam is supposed to be the last U.C., although so much time has passed they don't use UC calendar system anymore and they half-heartedly incorporated all the silly stuff from G, Wing, etc. into one universe via flashback.

How's this for confusing? :p

UC 0079

Mobile Suit Gundam - ep 1-43

MS GUNDAM - Movies I, II, III

08th MS TEAM - 12 OAVs

08th MS TEAM:Millers Report - Movie

UC 0080

War in the Pocket - 6 OAVs[/u]

UC 0083

Stardust Memory - 13 OAVs

Stardust Memory:Last Blitz of Zeon - Movie

UC 0087

Z Gundam - ep 1-50

Green Divers - IMAX film

UC 0088

Gundam ZZ - ep 1-47

UC 0093

Char's Counterattack - Movie

UC 0123

Gundam F 91 - Movie

UC 0153

V Gundam - ep 1-51

UC 0223 (Alternate)

G Saviour - Live-action Movie (sorry Anubis ;) )

FC 60

G Gundam - ep 1-49

AC 195

New Mobile Report Gundam Wing - ep 1-49

AC 196

Gundam Wing:Endless Waltz - 3 OAVs

AW 0015

Gundam X - ep 1-39

CC 2345

Turn ∀ Gundam - ep 1-50

Turn ∀ Gundam:Earth Light - Movie

Turn ∀ Gundam:Moon Butterfly - Movie

CE 71

Gundam SEED - ep 1-50

Edited by GRAND CANNON

UC 0223

G Saviour - Live-action Movie (sorry Anubis )

:p

How did you get the Turn-A to show up like that?

Edited by Anubis

In fairness, ZZ is where the franchise truly started the whole "everybody & their brother has a gundam" trend, you can't blame G for that.

How, exactly?

The only Gundam that's new to the show is the ZZ, which, along with the Zeta and the Mk-II, make up the Gundam team. The Mk-II and the Zeta are carried over from Z Gundam, where the former is a mass produced Gundam, and the latter is a specialized machine.

The G Gundam gave everyone and their brother a Gundam. In ZZ, only three people pilot Gundams.

Well, more than three, since, if I recall, the ZZ has more than one pilot.

But point remains.