Robotech/Macross Article In FEB Newtype

BFG-1 Gigan

Passed by it in Borders. Not paying 10 bucks for a magazine though. Had a Newtype subscription, but let it run out. Wasn't that useful to me for 90 bucks.

Edited by Anubis

where do they sell this magazine?
Obviously, most anime stores will carry this, but I've seen them at the video/DVD store "Saturday Matinee" in the malls around here. $10 for a magazine seems pretty steep to me.
do these pants make my ass look big?
Nope, your ass looks big regardless of what pants your wearing. :lol:

I bought it and wanted to burn it and piss on the ashes. Southern Cross/Robotech Masters got all of 1 art piece (Dana aiming her sidearm at the camera from eps. #45 Metal Fire IIRC) and the VERY short blurb on the second chapter was mostly about Max and Miriya...and Rick Hunter. Dana and the Army of the Southern Cross get all of 1 sentence. :angry:

I bought it and wanted to burn it and piss on the ashes. Southern Cross/Robotech Masters got all of 1 art piece (Dana aiming her sidearm at the camera from eps. #45 Metal Fire IIRC) and the VERY short blurb on the second chapter was mostly about Max and Miriya...and Rick Hunter. Dana and the Army of the Southern Cross get all of 1 sentence. :angry:

Wow... a whole sentence? That's way over the norm.

You've picked a very unpopular anime to champion, my friend.

Wow... a whole sentence? That's way over the norm.

I know...

but godd@mnit.....to have a blurb on the 2nd Robotech War...and talk mostly about The Macross Saga characters....that's beyond shitty. I already sent a rather caustic letter to the editor of Newtype letting them know my displeasure. Its no wonder people claim to have never heard and/or seen anything about Robotech Masters/Southern Cross when all the people fixate on Macross. <_<

Wow... a whole sentence?  That's way over the norm.

I know...

but godd@mnit.....to have a blurb on the 2nd Robotech War...and talk mostly about The Macross Saga characters....that's beyond shitty. I already sent a rather caustic letter to the editor of Newtype letting them know my displeasure. Its no wonder people claim to have never heard and/or seen anything about Robotech Masters/Southern Cross when all the people fixate on Macross. <_<

If one cares to look at Robotech in a analytical way, just in bredth and depth of the story, Macross is an incredibly complex and awesome story, Southern Cross is simply overshadowed... Standing on its own it may actually be great.

I personally think RT would have been better with JUST Macross and Mospeda, loosely connected. The shows cary a more comparable strength.

I don't really buy it wouldn't sell. HG has never tried to make people interested in the that part of the show. That would require work on their part and we know how they are when it comes to that. They've never explored stories during it, they never tried to redo the designs. Don't they have the complete rights to Southern Cross so they could redesign the mecha if they wanted to? If so nothing is stopping them, nothing is stopping them from trying to get the entire arc reanimated to make it completely original. They've never tried to market the show, that's what really gets to me. I would understand if it was given the same attention that Macross and New Generation has been given but it hasn't been given a fraction of that and thus they cast it off and ignore it. They have so much freedom to do stories in that arc of the RT story in the comics yet they do items like Love and War which is a summary of the Macross Saga, Invasion which are backstories on events that were taken care of in the New Gernation arc episodes and a character that really had no point other then to give Lisa/Misa a past love in the SDF/Macross Saga.

Its very clear HG has not desire to do anything original, due to that Southern Cross will always be ignored and overshadowed. Just look at everything they have done already. Its a copy of other items. Strangely enough the past HG seemed to be original in its dealings of comics and when they tried to make two failed series. This new HG is a lot worse though, that's really scary.

1st Border Red Devil I really have to hand it to you to though. I don't think I could do what you do when it comes to Southern Cross. Though I can understand how you feel.

I don't really buy it wouldn't sell. HG has never tried to make people interested in the that part of the show. That would require work on their part and we know how they are when it comes to that. They've never explored stories during it, they never tried to redo the designs. Don't they have the complete rights to Southern Cross so they could redesign the mecha if they wanted to? If so nothing is stopping them, nothing is stopping them from trying to get the entire arc reanimated to make it completely original. They've never tried to market the show, that's what really gets to me. I would understand if it was given the same attention that Macross and New Generation has been given but it hasn't been given a fraction of that and thus they cast it off and ignore it. They have so much freedom to do stories in that arc of the RT story in the comics yet they do items like Love and War which is a summary of the Macross Saga, Invasion which are backstories on events that were taken care of in the New Gernation arc episodes and a character that really had no point other then to give Lisa/Misa a past love in the SDF/Macross Saga.

Its very clear HG has not desire to do anything original, due to that Southern Cross will always be ignored and overshadowed. Just look at everything they have done already. Its a copy of other items. Strangely enough the past HG seemed to be original in its dealings of comics and when they tried to make two failed series. This new HG is a lot worse though, that's really scary.

1st Border Red Devil I really have to hand it to you to though. I don't think I could do what you do when it comes to Southern Cross. Though I can understand how you feel.

Dude, I work in marketing...

If you introduce a product, lets say a TV show, and the public only likes ONE aspect of that show, you expand on THAT aspect and ONLY THAT aspect... RT came out and everyone liked the Macross part of it, and to a lesser extent Mospeda. It isn't a matter of failed promotion of SC on HG's part, it is a matter of money. They know they can make money marketing Macross.

I liked SC better than NG when I watched them in their RT incarnations. But I have to agree with Agent ONE--if it didn't catch on when it was originally made, it would be foolish to spend resources on it when there's more popular stuff available to be exploited. It would be tempting to blame it all on the English voice acting and/or the more severe editing that SC underwent--but if those are the reasons, why was SC a dud in Japan, too?

HG has approved of items (made by Matchbox) for SC in the past so they never tried to sweep it under the rug.

Items for SC in the origonal line

12" Dana (2 versions)

12" fashions (for SC dolls)

12" Hovercycle for the dolls (only 12" vehicle made)

Hovertank - transforming

Bioroid

Hoversled

Dana

Zor

Robotech Master

Bioroid Terminator

None of these were repackaged Japanese items. They were 100% brand new productions. I'd say HG/Matchbox put some effort into SC before. Of course, fans mostly stuck to Macross/New Gen. As Agent One said, any company will base its product lines around what will sell. SC just isn't the big seller so it will get the least amount of products.

I would like to see Super Posables of the Hovertanks. They did have variations in colors so toynami could make those.

HG has approved of items (made by Matchbox) for SC in the past so they never tried to sweep it under the rug.

12" Dana (2 versions)

Hovertank - transforming

Bioroid

Hoversled

Dana

Zor

Robotech Master

Bioroid Terminator

None of these were repackaged Japanese items. They were 100% brand new productions. I'd say HG/Matchbox put some effort into SC before. Of course, fans mostly stuck to Macross/New Gen. As Agent One said, any company will base its product lines around what will sell. SC just isn't the big seller so it will get the least amount of products.

I would like to see Super Posables of the Hovertanks. They did have variations in colors so toynami could make those.

post-25-1077316877.jpg The Women of Ro-bo-tech... La - LaLa - La - La,La post-25-1077316877.jpg

:lol:icon8.gif

12" Dana (2 versions)

Hovertank - transforming

Bioroid

Hoversled

Dana

Zor

Robotech Master

Bioroid Terminator

None of these were repackaged Japanese items. They were 100% brand new productions.  I'd say HG/Matchbox put some effort into SC before.  Of course, fans mostly stuck to Macross/New Gen.  As Agent One said, any company will base its product lines around what will sell. SC just isn't the big seller so it will get the least amount of products.

post-25-1077316877.jpg The Women of Ro-bo-tech... La - LaLa - La - La,La post-25-1077316877.jpg

:lol:

12" Dana (2 versions)

Hovertank - transforming

Bioroid

Hoversled

Dana

Zor

Robotech Master

Bioroid Terminator

Ironicly those toys were "Made In Japan".

~G25

12" Dana (2 versions)

Hovertank - transforming

Bioroid

Hoversled

Dana

Zor

Robotech Master

Bioroid Terminator

None of these were repackaged Japanese items. They were 100% brand new productions.  I'd say HG/Matchbox put some effort into SC before.  Of course, fans mostly stuck to Macross/New Gen.  As Agent One said, any company will base its product lines around what will sell. SC just isn't the big seller so it will get the least amount of products.

Doornob-Boy, you need to stop bringing up such awful memories!!! :angry::p

Anyways, that show Big-O bombed in Japan as well, but got enough attention over here for it to me completed on Cartoonnetwork's dime. The "dud over there, dud over here" claim is invalid.

Okay, Big-O was unpopular in Japan and popular in the US. So it was worth finishing for the US market.

Southern Cross was unpopular in Japan and unpopular in the US. So you can argue there were problems with the US treatment, but when all is said and done, it's 0-2.

I wish it were otherwise, because as I wrote above, I really do like Southern Cross.

They know they can make money marketing Macross.

Bingo. That's why Toynami chose to duke it out in the crowded Macross transformable toy market instead of releasing only game in town stuff like Alphas and Spartas, because sadly even a mildly selling Macross toy will have more sales than a blockbuster sold-out New Gen toy -_-

Why take risks when old dependable is much easier....

Cyc

by the way, thank you everyone for keeping this macross/robotech thread professional, without any anti- sentiments one way or another.

it's quite refreshing. :)

What?!?! We've let it get this long without any outright RT bashing?!?!?! Unthinkable!!

Vostok 7