"Case Closed"

areaseven

It's been reported on many sites that FUNimation has acquired the rights to the highly popular anime series Detective Conan. However, due to some supposed "copyright issues", the series will be retitled Case Closed.

I'm glad that Conan will finally see a U.S. release, but seriously, it doesn't deserve such a lame title like Case Closed. What do you guys think?

Well, they couldn't really use the name 'Conan' in the title could they, otherwise viewers would be all disappointed after discovering that there are no sword swinging barbarians anywhere. :D

Graham

The Agent ONEs of the world are collectively crying and jacking off on doorknobs in sadness.

Vostok 7

Looming at the news releases, it seems FUNimation just decided to err on the side of caution and avoid arousing the ire of the estate of Robert Howard.

It's questionable whether any fuss would actually be raised, but it's usually better to err on the side of caution.

This post has been brought to you by, or perhaps in spite of, my inability to seperate Conan, Tarzan, and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle in my head.

Well, they couldn't really use the name 'Conan' in the title could they, otherwise viewers would be all disappointed after discovering that there are no sword swinging barbarians anywhere.  :D

Graham

The Agent ONEs of the world are collectively crying and jacking off on doorknobs in sadness.

Vostok 7

Why?! Why must doorknobs (and the people who use them) always suffer?! ::BoB plants a claymore mine under his doormat:: :(

I don't know, I don't like any alterations at all, but if there was a potential legal issue then what can you do. Same ballpark as Lupin vs Rupan, and Rurouni Kenshin vs. Samurai X. I don't particularly like the new title though, as "Case Closed" is kind of lame. Don't really see the legal issue, because having "Detective" in the title there should be no confusion.

Well, they couldn't really use the name 'Conan' in the title could they, otherwise viewers would be all disappointed after discovering that there are no sword swinging barbarians anywhere.  :D

Graham

Vostok 7

Dear god... you mean there's more than one?

Case Closed isn't that bad a name. Could've been Super Secret Hero Mystery Investigator!

I wonder if has something to do with the Sherlock Holmes IP rather than than REH's character. I think someone would have a very hard time proving that the title "Boy Detective Conan" in any way dilutes or interferes with anything associated with the famous barbarian. Case Closed is a pretty lame sounding name, but then I imagine they're marketing the show to kids (which makes sense, since it's a kids show, albeit a fairly sophisticated one).

I actually think that the name Conan shouldn't ever be used again unless Arnold decides to do "King Conan." I don't know if I care for the title "Case Closed" but if it were called "Conan" I would have had to execute some people.

SuperO Edit: A little excessive. Don't you think A-1? :) Removed by request.

I actually think that the name Conan shouldn't ever be used again unless Arnold decides to do "King Conan."  I don't know if I care for the title "Case Closed" but if it were called "Conan" I would have had to execute some people.

EDIT

And leave a present on his doorknob as you leave?

I actually think that the name Conan shouldn't ever be used again unless Arnold decides to do "King Conan."  I don't know if I care for the title "Case Closed" but if it were called "Conan" I would have had to execute some people.

EDIT

And leave a present on his doorknob as you leave?

Well, now that you mention it I'd burn his house down also... Probably no knob left...

EDIT

Assuming you are joking, rape and misogyny are not funny.

I actually think that the name Conan shouldn't ever be used again unless Arnold decides to do "King Conan." I don't know if I care for the title "Case Closed" but if it were called "Conan" I would have had to execute some people.

SuperO Edit: A little excessive. Don't you think A-1? :) Removed by request.

No it wasn't excessive... There was nothing there about rape in my post... I said I would screw the guys mother... I am sure, like most women, she would be throbbing and wet for my body to be pressed against hers. :rolleyes:

Graham

Vostok 7

:lol::lol::lol: