Star Wars OT on DVD - Official - Sept 21st

Blaine23

I also just clicked on your linkĀ  dejr8bud it takes us to ebay do you have the real link?

Ack sorrry had the wrong window open. I was ebaying. link fixed. I dunno Star Trek, Xena etc seasons you can usually find for up to half off when they are first released. Xena season 4 just came out and its MSRP is 89.99 IIRC. I paid around 45.00 s/h not included. Granted this doesn't have the hype that Star Wars has but most places discount unless you are Suncoast <_<

Star Wars for 50.01

http://www.uln.com/cgi-bin/vlink/024543123415IE.html

Edited by dejr8bud

I furthermore believe those 2 changes are what most of the world holds against the special edition. They were by far the most offensive moments.

I'm one of the few that did not mind the musical number in Jabba's palace. I think it's unneccesary, but I can live with it. However, aside from Greedo shooting first, my biggest problem with the SE versions is in Empire, when Vader is on his way to leave Cloud City. He originally said "Have my shuttle prepared for my arrival" or something like that. They change this to "Have my Super Star Destroyer prepared for my arrival" in a voice that does not at all sound like Vader. To this day I don't know if they actually got James Earl Jones to do the voice, but then screwed it up when they tried to add the Vader voice effect, or if they didn't get Jones, and got some random person to try and immitate him, failing miserably. Either way, it did not work at all, as well as being a needless edit.

I furthermore believe those 2 changes are what most of the world holds against the special edition. They were by far the most offensive moments.

I'm one of the few that did not mind the musical number in Jabba's palace. I think it's unneccesary, but I can live with it. However, aside from Greedo shooting first, my biggest problem with the SE versions is in Empire, when Vader is on his way to leave Cloud City. He originally said "Have my shuttle prepared for my arrival" or something like that. They change this to "Have my Super Star Destroyer prepared for my arrival" in a voice that does not at all sound like Vader. To this day I don't know if they actually got James Earl Jones to do the voice, but then screwed it up when they tried to add the Vader voice effect, or if they didn't get Jones, and got some random person to try and immitate him, failing miserably. Either way, it did not work at all, as well as being a needless edit.

i just can't see vader saying "super."

Vader: "and admiral... super size it.. don't underestimate the power of... "

Admiral: " :unsure: "

seems kinda expensive as well,($110.00) most DVD movies cost about $20.00 at most and we are only getting 3 movies ( $60.00) unless all the extra is for the Bonus disc I do not see why we have to pay almost $50.00 for that , it should for the most part be free. It seems like a expensive set, but i guess Lucasfilms knows that it is the first time on DVD that they can probally do this. but a set of this size should not costs this much

are you sure it is not candaian dollars? starwars.com is sellign hem at $50

Hell, amazon.ca has the box set listed at $57.99 CDN, so I don't know where these prices are comming from. I have a hard time swallowing that three DVDs plus one bonus disc will cost more than the 9-disc Alien legacy set.

Hell, amazon.ca has the box set listed at $57.99 CDN, so I don't know where these prices are comming from. I have a hard time swallowing that three DVDs plus one bonus disc will cost more than the 9-disc Alien legacy set.

maybey uit is a tactic to scare people into buying them so theythink they save money? thsi way they get crap loads of preorders/

Edited by Ali Sama

seems kinda expensive as well,($110.00)Ā  most DVD movies cost about $20.00 at mostĀ  and we are only getting 3 movies ( $60.00)Ā  unless all the extra is for the Bonus discĀ  I do not see why we have to pay almost $50.00 for that , it should for the most part be free. It seems like a expensive set, but i guess Lucasfilms knows that it is the first time on DVD that they can probally do this. but a set of this size should not costs this much

Best Buy.com has it for 44.99 (But I'm on a Best Buy boycott, those MFers tried ripping me off when buying a refrigirator..bait & switch tactics)

and Suncoast.com its 69.98 which I presume is the MSRP because they never discount.

Where's this 110.00 price coming from?

seems kinda expensive as well,($110.00)Ā  most DVD movies cost about $20.00 at mostĀ  and we are only getting 3 movies ( $60.00)Ā  unless all the extra is for the Bonus discĀ  I do not see why we have to pay almost $50.00 for that , it should for the most part be free. It seems like a expensive set, but i guess Lucasfilms knows that it is the first time on DVD that they can probally do this. but a set of this size should not costs this much

Best Buy.com has it for 44.99 (But I'm on a Best Buy boycott, those MFers tried ripping me off when buying a refrigirator..bait & switch tactics)

and Suncoast.com its 69.98 which I presume is the MSRP because they never discount.

i got it here for $41.88 free shipping too. good place.

i got it here for $41.88 free shipping too. good place.

damn that's cheap 42.00.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From DVDfile.com -

But even more exciting (or depressing) information that came out of the convention were the copies of the Star Wars Trilogy DVD Collection (due September 21st, as if you weren't aware) that were making their way around the convention to those in the know, with connections, or sticky fingers. So for those fearing (or hoping) that Lucas would again make extensive changes to the classic first three movies in the saga, you will get your wish. Everything from less readily apparent changes - sound effects to the color of a lightsaber - to more substantive additions, including Ian McDiarmid (the evil Emperor) replacing Clive Revill in The Empire Strikes Back, to Anakin Hayden Christensen's face (badly) added to the body of Sebastian Shaw at the end of Return of the Jedi, or a chorus of cheering Gungians (or whatever those Jar Jar things are called) also tacked on to the finale of Jedi, will be found in the new DVDs. Sigh...but find out for yourself when the set reaches a galaxy near you this fall.

Wow... I heard the rumors, but I guess they're looking pretty true now.

My desire to buy the Theatrical Versions grows even more powerful.

From DVDfile.com -
But even more exciting (or depressing) information that came out of the convention were the copies of the Star Wars Trilogy DVD Collection (due September 21st, as if you weren't aware) that were making their way around the convention to those in the know, with connections, or sticky fingers. So for those fearing (or hoping) that Lucas would again make extensive changes to the classic first three movies in the saga, you will get your wish. Everything from less readily apparent changes - sound effects to the color of a lightsaber - to more substantive additions, including Ian McDiarmid (the evil Emperor) replacing Clive Revill in The Empire Strikes Back, to Anakin Hayden Christensen's face (badly) added to the body of Sebastian Shaw at the end of Return of the Jedi, or a chorus of cheering Gungians (or whatever those Jar Jar things are called) also tacked on to the finale of Jedi, will be found in the new DVDs. Sigh...but find out for yourself when the set reaches a galaxy near you this fall.

Wow... I heard the rumors, but I guess they're looking pretty true now.

My desire to buy the Theatrical Versions grows even more powerful.

This is getting ridiculous. <_< I think I may XVID rip my VHS tapes before they degrade.

How much more is left for him to change? Remove Vader's force choking people? I guess fan opinion means absolutely nothing to lucas. Like many, I know I'll still buy the discs to have a nice "official" version (and it's cheap), but I want a XVID/DIVX version of the original (if I can find it anymore :(.)

I could deal with the SE's fine, but this is pushing it big time. Honestly though I can't say I'm surprized they're even updating the lightsaber effects, wether I like it or not depends on the end result. Adding Hayden's face to Anakin isn't surprising either, I wonder wether it'll look cheesy or not actually. Anyone find pics of Vader's death? We already saw the Hayden ghost a while back, but now we know that's changing too.

Edited by Anubis

Most of these newest changes don't bother me in the least.

fixed Jabba CGI in ANH = good

fixed lightsabers in ANH = good

Arubesh added to tractor beam control = good

removed "emperor scream" in ESB = good

Naboo added to ROTJ celebrations = meh, but in terms of the whole 6 films its good

The biggest change is definitely the Anakin spirit at the end of Jedi (which those who've seen it say isn't as bad as DVD file makes it seem). I think it will make more sense after we've seen Revenge of the Sith. My theory is that Anakin outright dies, and is resurrected by Palps. Hence, when he comes back as a "ghost" he looks as he did when he was good Anakin. Besides, if you want to get nitpickety Anakin never looked like the "healthy" Sebastian Shaw incarnation, so what's the right one?

And Anakin's death is still played by Shaw. All ILM did was remove his eyebrows. I suppose those don't grow back.

And Anakin's death is still played by Shaw. All ILM did was remove his eyebrows. I suppose those don't grow back.

That's better... I was imagining a really bad Soprano's style CGI shot of Young Anakin's face where Shaw's was.

I'm still not real keen on all the changes... I mean, they're fine for some folks - and they're usually hit and miss (like the SE's), some are good, some are "eh", and some are just bad.

I can forgive the "errors" of the original movies, though. I prefer them to the SE's and I'm pretty sure I'll prefer them to this edition. I just wish George would act like a real contributor to American film and preserve what was released to the theaters, "warts" and all. I mean, we have people going to great lengths to restore very old films in vaults and digitally cleaning them... meanwhile we're stuck in constant edit mode w/ the Star Wars films.

You know what would be cool? A criterion edition theatrical release Star Wars trilogy. Those are folks who would release the movies I love the way I want to see them. And it'd be flattering to King George - they released Kurasawa, his hero.

Edited by Blaine23

A little of topic, but with all the discusion of the different versions of the films....

Has anyone seen the IMAX version of ATOTC. It was actually VERY good IMO. I actually prefered it to the theatrical version. They removed most of the cheesy love stuff, BUT, left just enough (and what was left was the more mature parts) so that the relationship was actually believable(spelling).

Chris

OK, all they did was remove Shaw's eyebrows, cool. Was worried for a while there.

I am also quite happy they removed the "emperor's scream" from ESB. :)

Now if only they would revert Vader back to saying "Bring my Shuttle."

The biggest change is definitely the Anakin spirit at the end of Jedi (which those who've seen it say isn't as bad as DVD file makes it seem).

I wouldn't agree. Christensen still looks like a creep compared to Sebastian Shaw's Anakin looking happy and finally at peace.

Make you own judgement I guess: ghost scene

Also, Boba Fett's voice being replaced in ESB is terrible.