Animeigo Macross Box Set - Black Cases vs Color Cases

I've seen the Animeigo Macross Box Set - with the black outer slip case, and the 9 DVDs in individual cases inside - two ways. In one, the individual DVD cases themselves are black. In the other, the individual DVD cases are each a different color, corresponding to the minimalist artwork on each's cover. I have two questions: 1. Why the difference? and 2. Is there anything more than aesthetics different between these two otherwise seemingly identical sets?

So, it sounds like one was the original release and then the other was the leftover stock, as both come in a single package slip case wth nine DVDs inside. The only difference being the color of the plastic of each DVD case - one set all black, the other multi-colored. Not sure which set is which, but it sounds like the contents are identical either way. Thanks for the response!

1 hour ago, CryptCat said:

So, it sounds like one was the original release and then the other was the leftover stock, as both come in a single package slip case wth nine DVDs inside. The only difference being the color of the plastic of each DVD case - one set all black, the other multi-colored. Not sure which set is which, but it sounds like the contents are identical either way. Thanks for the response!

I got my set direct from Animeigo and the cases for each disc in my set are black.

I'd assume, based on that, that the color-matching cases are the leftover stock that was the repackaged leftover stock.

This brings back memories. I remember ordering the first set from Animeigo on their proto-crowdfunder. Ended up costing me 450 CAD.  Worth it at the time since SDF Macross didn't have a previous release other than the incomplete robotech perfect collection.

I've only ever seen one listing for a copy with multicolored cases, so I assume the owner just did that themselves. I think the set ONLY ever came in black cases, officially.

I actually just bought a copy of this set a few weeks back, really love having it! Not bad for only being a Macross fan for about a month now. lol

1 hour ago, CollectorCanine said:

I've only ever seen one listing for a copy with multicolored cases, so I assume the owner just did that themselves. I think the set ONLY ever came in black cases, officially.

I actually just bought a copy of this set a few weeks back, really love having it! Not bad for only being a Macross fan for about a month now. lol

As starting points go, there are few finer... welcome aboard.

2 hours ago, CollectorCanine said:

Thank you! Glad to be here.These20240214_103330.jpg

Wow, still shrinkwrapped for vol. 2-9. What a find! I'm visiting my parents's place and looked at my old boxed set. The colors on the spines are so faded lol.

1 hour ago, CollectorCanine said:

I was an infant when this set was released, so I'm pretty happy to have found a copy! I paid way more than I should have, but I felt like I needed to have it.

I'm biased of course, but I think you'll like it.

I was digging into internet archives, and I had forgotten that AnimEigo had also released individual discs for $22.45 a pop, meaning collecting the nine individual discs or the three three-disc sets was going to cost twenty-something percent less than buying a boxed set. The $260 we early adopters paid for the boxed set was a marked up price. But hey, we got to enjoy it a year earlier, plus we got a box and the lenticular-motion picture! 🤣

IIRC I missed the first release and got the second which was 3 slip cases containing 3 episodes apiece. 

I don't go looking for them but  I keep my eyes open and I've never seen colored cases so I'd bet that's a custom job.

image.png.77bf26efb87cd5a3101602f38b339dce.png

On 2/27/2024 at 1:00 PM, Jeff J said:

I'm biased of course, but I think you'll like it.

I was digging into internet archives, and I had forgotten that AnimEigo had also released individual discs for $22.45 a pop, meaning collecting the nine individual discs or the three three-disc sets was going to cost twenty-something percent less than buying a boxed set. The $260 we early adopters paid for the boxed set was a marked up price. But hey, we got to enjoy it a year earlier, plus we got a box and the lenticular-motion picture! 🤣

Perhaps a better way to look at it is the pre-order group were the ones that made the release happen. Literally, as I recall.

Pretty sure Robert Woodhead said that without sufficient preorders, it was dead in the water. But it's possible I am misremembering. Too lazy to look. Maybe I'm mixing it up with the Zeta Gundam DVD boxset.

It's always so fascinating for me to hear about events that happened in fandoms long before I was ever a part of them.

Though it is frustrating to get into something, only to find out that its only physical releases in the USA came out when I was an infant or child and are now loooooong out of print and very expensive... I paid way too much for this Macross set, but it was still cheaper than what ADV's set is going for!

Though... I paid around the same amount as its original retail price mentioned above, so I guess that's not horrible?

Edited by CollectorCanine

56 minutes ago, kazuo said:

Perhaps a better way to look at it is the pre-order group were the ones that made the release happen. Literally, as I recall.

Pretty sure Robert Woodhead said that without sufficient preorders, it was dead in the water. But it's possible I am misremembering. Too lazy to look. Maybe I'm mixing it up with the Zeta Gundam DVD boxset.

That lines up with my recollection of the AnimEigo panel at Anime Central 2001.

They also had pricing tiers based on the number of pre-orders they received. Basically, it was the 2001 version of a Kickstarter campaign.

image.png.fb95e50b025615d9106e34cbf13c2cb4.png 

EDIT: Oops, floating cursor... Anyway, funny comment under bullet one about English dubs...

Edited by Jeff J

8 hours ago, Jeff J said:

Anyway, funny comment under bullet one about English dubs...

How nostalgic!

Yeah, HG's official line was there won't be an english-dubbed release of Macross, because "we already have that, it's called Robotech".

That went out the window as soon as the Animeigo license expired and ADV got it. I genuinely believe they were trying to screw over Animeigo from the start.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/1/2024 at 5:47 PM, JB0 said:

How nostalgic!

Yeah, HG's official line was there won't be an english-dubbed release of Macross, because "we already have that, it's called Robotech".

That went out the window as soon as the Animeigo license expired and ADV got it. I genuinely believe they were trying to screw over Animeigo from the start.

Which is why AnimEigo screwed back and (mind you this is pure assumption based on what I saw from both releases) gave HG back their sh!t quality audio masters as the source when ADV did their release.

Edited by Keith

1 hour ago, Keith said:

Which is why AnimEigo screwed back and (mind you this is pure assumption based on what I saw from both releases) gave HG back their sh!t quality audio masters as the source when ADV did their release.

Pretty sure it was just that HG didn't want to pay up for access to Animeigo's remastered/cleaned-up audio tracks... and they either figured audiences wouldn't care, or hoped that ADV Films would do the job just as well.

I've always privately suspected that Animeigo got the license because Harmony Gold believed its own hype and thought it'd never sell.  When it sold well, they suddenly wanted it in the hands of their main distribution partner, probably because of more favorable license terms.

5 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Pretty sure it was just that HG didn't want to pay up for access to Animeigo's remastered/cleaned-up audio tracks... and they either figured audiences wouldn't care, or hoped that ADV Films would do the job just as well.

I suspect they either didn't know Animeigo would do an extensive remaster, or they were just too incompetent to include "transfer the remastered audio and video to us at the same time you deliver all unsold stock for us to repackage when we cut you out"

Honestly, from watching my old AnimEigo DVD set and my Lionsgate/A&E Networks Robotech Complete Set, the video quality is identical. They look like they were definitely taken from the same video source and AnimEigo is credited with "footage restoration" on the Robotech set. This leads me to believe they used AnimEigo's restored Macross footage for every release after, including re-creating Robotech's edited footage with it, yet didn't use their remastered audio for whatever reason.

Edited by CollectorCanine

8 hours ago, JB0 said:

I suspect they either didn't know Animeigo would do an extensive remaster, or they were just too incompetent to include "transfer the remastered audio and video to us at the same time you deliver all unsold stock for us to repackage when we cut you out"

It's unlikely to be the second one, since it's SOP for the localization distributor to claim a copyright on any parts of the localization they produce themselves... like remastered audio or video tracks, subtitle scripts, dub audio tracks, etc.  HG can't have been in the dark about that because that's the genesis of their copyright on The Other Series.  That's also why the Macross II kickstarter had to acquire the rights to the English dub audio tracks from the 90's release.  It's not automatically included.

It's also a safe bet that they knew in advance Animeigo intended to do a remaster, because that would probably have been a part of the license agreement in the first place.

The most likely explanation is that HG just cheaped out, as they did with so many other things.

On 3/16/2024 at 2:46 PM, Seto Kaiba said:

It's unlikely to be the second one, since it's SOP for the localization distributor to claim a copyright on any parts of the localization they produce themselves... like remastered audio or video tracks, subtitle scripts, dub audio tracks, etc.  HG can't have been in the dark about that because that's the genesis of their copyright on The Other Series.  That's also why the Macross II kickstarter had to acquire the rights to the English dub audio tracks from the 90's release.  It's not automatically included.

It's also a safe bet that they knew in advance Animeigo intended to do a remaster, because that would probably have been a part of the license agreement in the first place.

The most likely explanation is that HG just cheaped out, as they did with so many other things.

Par for the course with them; Frank's daughter is just as stingy as he was.