One Piece anime remake

Bolt

14 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

It doesn't need a remake it needs something like DBZ Kai where they cut out all the filler.

From what little I've been paying attention to, that's functionally what this is supposed to be. On the other hand, from what else little I've been paying attention to, One Piece is a rare breed of long-running shounen that actually has very little filler. So I dunno. Regardless, it seems One Piece fans have been eating very well lately.

One Piece has plenty of filler episodes/arcs.    This website has compiled a list of fillers and mixed fillers (compared to the manga) list.

https://www.animefillerlist.com/shows/one-piece

It doesn't have the drawn out charging attacks like DBZ but I"m sure there's scenes that you can reduce in One Piece too.   I'm not going to look for them though.  I did  a rewatch of the series back in 2020 and, oh my god, it took MONTHS to "watch" everything even just putting it on play and running it in the background,.  

3 hours ago, kajnrig said:

From what little I've been paying attention to, that's functionally what this is supposed to be. On the other hand, from what else little I've been paying attention to, One Piece is a rare breed of long-running shounen that actually has very little filler. So I dunno. Regardless, it seems One Piece fans have been eating very well lately.

In spirit, maybe.

This is a full-on remake of the entire series from scratch.  They're going back to the source material for a new adaptation and are (probably) going to leave the anime-original filler arcs out in the process because the manga's far enough ahead that they don't need to stall for time.

What the One Piece anime actually NEEDS, IMO, is not a remake.  It needs a team of editors to go back through the thousand-plus episodes of already-produced animation and cut out the filler like was done for Dragon Ball Z in the DBZ Kai version.  Not just the episodes composed entirely of filler, but also the excessive padding in the non-filler episodes. 

It's true that One Piece has an extremely low percentage of episodes composed entirely of filler (about 8.7%) compared to its contemporaries (who average over 40%).  However, it's not because One Piece has less filler than other shounen titles... it's because they changed how they do filler partway through the anime's production.  They initially had up to five chapters being condensed into a single episode and did filler seasons with original stories whenever they started to outpace the manga.  They then changed methods to put more and more padding into the adaptation of the manga's story such that the ratio of chapters per episode collapsed from 4:1 or 5:1 to 1:1 or less.  (Basically, they went from having around 45-75 pages of material per episode to around 15.)

1 hour ago, Big s said:

I don’t think a remake will be that great. They’d probably lose the cool factor somehow and ruin it.

Just merely following the original frame by frame, would be enough to make it better than any other Macross series that has come after it....adding Mikimoto as character designer woud also be a win

Just now, jvmacross said:

Just merely following the original frame by frame, would be enough to make it better than any other Macross series that has come after it....adding Mikimoto as character designer woud also be a win

I’m not so sure newer animation looks all that great. There were definitely some wonky scenes in the og series, but there’s a certain feeling of motion that I haven’t been seeing in anime for a while 

I think part of the decision to re do One piece is to "update" the animation. (Did the live action positivity have something to do with this decision?)As far as editing out fluff n such, that may very well be. It is an absurdly long anime. And difficult to watch , if you're not a fan. 

7 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

I agree with this. SDFM doesn't need to change very much , fundamentally, to be re done and still be awesome. 

16 minutes ago, Bolt said:

I think part of the decision to re do One piece is to "update" the animation. (Did the live action positivity have something to do with this decision?)As far as editing out fluff n such, that may very well be. It is an absurdly long anime. And difficult to watch , if you're not a fan. 

I agree with this. SDFM doesn't need to change very much , fundamentally, to be re done and still be awesome. 

I have say I do not watch too much, if any anime...I do make it a point to go through at least one viewing of the new Macross shows as they are released....the old stuff can't compete for the most part with the more recent valk fighter combat  scenes....so they have that going for them...I would really like to see some VF-1 action updated to the newer non-cel dependent scequences....the closest would be the Macross Fever sequences...

23 minutes ago, Bolt said:

"Art evolution" is a natural part of a long-running work, though.

Taking that away, and making it more homogenous, can rob a series of some of its charm.

That said, a remake is almost always a divisive title in a franchise's fanbase no matter its quality... this might end up an unintentional bit of self-sabotage.

8 hours ago, jvmacross said:

I'd rather have a SDFM TV remake....

I know Kawamori wouldn't do any follow-on to the original series because the voice actor for Hikaru (who was his friend) passed away. But I could see, and would love, for them to just redo the animation and keep the original voice audio.

Would the current SDFM licenses tied up with HG for non-Japanese markets keep such an endeavor from happening?

The original "character" design are from 1982 and have been revised several times...I wonder if HG would have no legal grounds to stand on if the animation actually changed from what they currently say their license covers?

Although, other than MtF paint scheme changes....I would prefer all mecha to remain mostly the same...so even with that in place, I would imagine HG would want their cut...

4 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

Would the current SDFM licenses tied up with HG for non-Japanese markets keep such an endeavor from happening?

The terms of the Big West-Harmony Gold agreement as we know them would prevent it, yes.

But that's off-topic.

3 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

"Art evolution" is a natural part of a long-running work, though.

Taking that away, and making it more homogenous, can rob a series of some of its charm.

That said, a remake is almost always a divisive title in a franchise's fanbase no matter its quality... this might end up an unintentional bit of self-sabotage.

Evolution and styles certainly change, over time. Concerning the re make (for anything) , it usually takes away some of the charm and soul that carried the original, IMO. 
And i do agree that most re makes are divisive. Though i feel that a One Piece re make will be welcomed by the masses , as the original really turns a lot of ,mostly western, anime viewers off. And , with Netflix involved, this definitely looks like a stab at bringing in more western viewers.