Mass CG project ...

Aztek

I don't know if this question has been asked... I haven't visited this thread for a while... but...

How close is this project be being ready for the composite?

I'm still interested in helping with some of the Photoshop work.

I don't know if this question has been asked... I haven't visited this thread for a while... but...

How close is this project be being ready for the composite?

I'm still interested in helping with some of the Photoshop work.

Awfully good question. At the moment, the project is hanging upon the individual members' models being ready for "shooting". I've been as guilty as everybody else, working on my own thing and neglecting this thread. So perhaps that needs to end. I'll declare myself "ready" to render. How about the rest of you? Are your models "camera ready"?

Skatata,

I think that would be artistic interpretation. Some of us use non-scaling models and others may. The 1/48 toy is inherently non-scaling, and the proportions are a mix of letting some proportions slide for the better of others. I wouldn't begin to imagine "when" the nose cone would begin a slide towards the chest, but if I was scaling I'd do it during the arc the legs make when attaching to the nose cone. That swing is near instantaneous (like the whole xform isn't, right?) and I'm assuming wouldn't be caught by the eye, it might only see 5 or so frames of animation.

I dunno, that's my take ....

Thanks for the input aztec. it's just that the nosecone looks a bit long in battroid mode and after i looked at datterboys model i seen that the nosecone sort looks as if it has move it's postion when the heat shield is over it check the pic to see what i mean.

post-5-1076907340.jpg

I think that has to do more with the chestplate sliding down and forward (up?) on the battroid during xform. On my valk, the nosecone has a rigid link to a piece under the chest-->to the shoulder caps-->to the back. Nosecone and lower chest assembly rotates 90 degrees down (from fighter mode), the shoulder caps stay stationary, the back rotates 90 degrees down with back pack attached (rotating itself 130 or so degrees "up" to lay flush against the back.) This leaves a portion of the chestplate protruding above the shoulder caps, which slide down and a wee bit forward to lay just above (or on) the heat shield. I chose to model my heatshield flush with the fairing on the chestplate fwd of the spoiler. It looks cleaner and less toyish (IMHO).

This entire process has no nosecone movement seperate from its rotation while attached to it's lower chest piece, and almost near identical to the 1/48 xformation. Having a 1/48 will definately get you on track to modeling a non-morph valk. Looking at screen caps and old ARII models will have you dying for "anime accuracy" and meshing a seperate "morphed valk". Others correct me if I'm wrong, I may be missing the intent of the question if I'm wrong.

ROD:

You mean texture? hahaha

Dude.. serious when I say.. I FREAKIN TRIED!!! Got some advice from DOK, read a bunch of tutorials, tried a bunch of walk throughs... always got lost a t some step and could not find the transitionary process between the step I understood and the one I got lost at... I would LOVE to see my valk textured up, but don't have a clue as to how to do it....

SUCKS!!!

I love this thing, it's not as good as a lot of the ones I've seen here, but this is my baby. And for the life of me I can't complete it. And to be honest, I thik a lot of it has to do with poor modelling and complex polygon modelling that is highly ineffiicnet which ultimately is gonna make this thing a nightmare to texture even if I knew how...

:Dat

you guys have posted some REALLY nice work in here!! there's been some drastic improvement happening since I first started checking out this thread. some of you guys are doing professional grade work (and I do this stuff professionally, in the game industry).

I thought I'd throw up a couple of old renders myself. these are from a model I got started on a couple of years ago, while I had time off between jobs, but I never really got past the cockpit:

cockpit4.jpg

cockpit5.jpg

cockpit6.jpg

cockpit7.jpg

Dan...

Holy Crap.... There's more detail in the cockpit than there is in my entire model.. hahahahaha. How much of the valk have you gotten done?

:Dat

Edited by DatterBoy

Good god that cockpit is beauty, maybe you could let one or two of the other modelers use it as well so they can concetrate on other parts. That might not be a bad idea really, have multiple modelers working on specific parts, of course that would require everyone using the same package. But that would be a super detailed model when you think about it.

thanks :) I barely got started on anything more than that cockpit, and its been on the backburner for years now (I believe those are MAX 3 renders... ). it was seeing your guys' work here that's kicking me in the butt to get back into doing this stuff in my leisure time.

I would love to collaborate with anybody interested.

I love DatterBoy's model, and I'd love to take a crack at texturing it. if the geometry needs some optimization, that's one of my specialties, of course.

Doktor Gonzo's landing gear certainly caught my interest. that will look amazing with some texture details.

Rodavan's VF-1 model looks (did you scan a Yamato 1/48 or what?) looks rock solid. Rodavan's cockpit looks great, and actually has a lot more geometry thrown at the console buttons and knobs than mine does (mine relies more on texture, its hard to break the habits I develop at the office...). nice work!

-Dan

thanks for the praise, guys :)

but that old thing? and here I was thinking of scrapping that old cockpit and starting fresh on a new one...

I still might start a new one, though. or, at least a heavily updated re-do. at the very least, I really want to make a highly optimized low-poly (high-end real time game engine quality) version (simplify the geometry, while making the texutre/spec/bump maps from the high-res version).

my ultimate goal would be to do an entire VF-1 that way. I'd love to do it all myself, if I could just find the time. a collaborative effort might be more practical (and more likely to get finished...). I'd love to put together the best of everybody's work, and just collectively tweak it into perfection. who's game?

I like that cockpit Dan !

I' ll think on the "shared" model thing , good idea , but planning nightmare.

We all do it differently , level of detail , method and "tools" , it's like finger prints - each person is unique. :p

Still .... it might be possible!