Mass CG project ...

Aztek

Only other fan racer I know of was done by brian. Looks to me that the one here is done by Nurbs though, tends to have that truky realistic look.

DOK, when you got a sec, I can't seem to figure out how to do the bump mapping over my existing textures so I can get the panel lines bumped in. Give a brother a hand?

I understand the basic concepts in terms of grey to white and black and how they effect, but I can't seem to figure out how to apply my bump maps to my valk.

Thanks

:Dat

OK all, I'm gonna call this done. Let me know when we're ready to composite the final. I'm ready for it!

post-5-1112037251_thumb.jpg

Edited by DatterBoy

KNIGHT26:

I think the head lasers aren't long.. they just don't have the girth they should probably have, or, too thin. Well, kinda depends on preference. Length wise, they are the same height as the Yamato 1J proportionate to the height of the head... or they should be unless I mis-measured.. I should check again. I should probably give it a bit more girth though...

BRIAN:

At least you guys have other stuff you all been working on. This is my only obsession, and iI needed to get it out of the way since it's been sucking up all my time... I;ve got 1S heads and 1A heads which I'll be making textures for, and then MAYBE some weathering and metal looking texture maps I should probably apply. But like DOK said, I respect all the work you guys do and wanted to at least be near the level of quality you guys do.

I'll get some posts of the other A and S models up later just as a final "I'm done" thing.

Edited by DatterBoy

Thanks RODAVAN, but I still think your model is absolutely solid!

And last but not least:

post-5-1112037122_thumb.jpg

Edited by DatterBoy

Looks simply gorgeous Dat.

Are you able to switch off shadow casting on your fill lighting? The multiple shadows are a bit distracting, especially where they fall across the model itself, having only the main lightsource cast shadows would be better.

You can tell the lower side of the legs are jacked up, half not textured right and half mesh issues trying to get the gear swing and gear door sequence right.

Hey AZ,

There was a party. Any chance you can get that Gerwalk to pose like the other ones in the lineup?

I really like how your model is mechanically functional, like the detail in the shoulder pivots.

I have the ball in the socket of the shoulder function like a real socket would, it is at the top of the hierarch for the arms. The cup they sit in is on a mount that swings over and onder the fuselage like most Bandai toys do. They rest on the tracks shown on the under-detail of the back plate. In gerwalk mode, the shoulder "mounts" rest on the outer fairing just under the backplate. As you know, in battroid, it just folds 90 degrees with the backplate to seat against the chest plate. I have folding coverpanels under my chestplate to fill the void from the "armpit" to the nose section. (rib cage?)

I'll post some cutaways if you need em for reference or if I lost you anywhere.

I'd like for you to post em just so I can check out the work, sounds awesome. Makes me want to work towards bette rmechanical function on my model too.

The first collage is of the fold out "ribcage" thats stowed underneath the chest intakes. For as simple as it was to model, it has one of the larger visual "touch ups" of any other thing on the valk in batt mode.

post-5-1084008861_thumb.jpg

Here's the shoulder socket and sliding mount. The mid position under the back is used for fighter mode. The aft stop is for gerwalk when you need the extra room to get out and around the back of the knee joints. The fwd most position gives the valk the beefy look in batt mode. As the arm pivots out from it's stowed position, the "mount" swivels 180 degrees and the joint extends/pulls out from it's cavity in the shoulder object. It's a 80 - 90 degree rotation that takes it from stowed to gerwalk, and an even 90 to batt. I put the actuators in there for filler, and would like to design some linkage, when I get more time. The tex's suck on this model, but I threw it together for reference.

post-5-1084009235_thumb.jpg

Edited by Aztek

That's what I'm talkin bout. More pics. interesting hydraulic rig you got going for your shoulder pivot. What made you decide to go in that direction with it?

I didn't want to go the toyish looking route, so I went through some ref pics showing diff cutaways of diff joints. Since there is no consistency on "how" things move, I went with the actautors and sliding mount. The mount is in this pic but is more boxy, and even though it looks tight in 2d, I can't figure out how it would be functional in 3d for all the modes.

post-5-1084031310.jpg

Edited by Aztek

This pic and the other pic shows SK's reliance on actuators for large mechanical movements. I just used these types of refs and adjusted the pivots and swings to make it semi-functional. You and I both know it wouldn't be feasable the way it is right now. That's why I want to engineer some linkage between the shoulder pivot and mount, so the arangement and use of actuators would be more realistic. The knee assymbly is mainly enclosed and shrouded, so it was easier to cheat there mechanically than on the shoulder.

post-5-1084031581.jpg

Rod,

I have more scans from design works, they are awesome for the xform sequence. Do you have a copy? If not let me know and I can email you some. They go into alot more detail than whats seen in the anime.

Thanks Aztek I have a copy , I went to check and found those transforming sequences , they are great , don't know how I missed them.

I also went back in the posts to look @ the "hands" you created for the valk - what reference did you use , the design works or do you have something extra .

I am re-doing my vf hand's and they still suck - I am using a human hand as guide , but when you look at the picture in the design guide the proportion seems wrong.

post-5-1084253152_thumb.jpg

I used the design works and DYRL? for all the hand refs. The design works was a good view of a single "digit", so I used it for the middle, ring and index finger. I rotated the thumb 90 degrees, dropped a knuckle and fastened it to the opposable joint coming off the side of the valk. The pinkie is semi-opposable, and most references point to that from what I've seen. having the pinkie and thumb "fold" in as the hand retracts into the arm gives at ALOT better proportion when deployed. I made the finger pads, back hand, wrist, and fingers out of a rigid mesh and skinned the joints and pads of the hand. the design works was by far the best "orthographic" ref, with DYRL? a more artistic reference for functionality and movement ranges.

Nice job, AZ. Would you happen to have some model sheets of the armor set I could use as aref? I want to remodel the ones I did a bit back.