Samurai X

Oihan

Finally saw Samurai X tonight. Such an awesome OVA. I loved the story...even more so the music. Anyone know who the composer is? I can't say I've heard anything like the BGM I heard in Samurai X. The only thing I can think that comes close to is the BGM in Top Gun...where Maverick is mourning over Goose...and the scene with Meg Ryan all teary-eyed talking to Tom. Anyway...I like it a lot...I'd recommend it to anyone.... Either of you seen it...if so thoughts/opinions?

Only seen a few eps of the TV series. Didn't like it. Those action/comedy anime are not my thing.

Graham

Thing is though, there was no comedy in this OVA. ^_^

Lemme dig up that sound track CD I have...

damn where the hell is it...

...Ah here it is... "Composed and Arranged by Taku Iwasaki"

And thanks Druna. =)

Edited by Oihan

Only seen a few eps of the TV series. Didn't like it. Those action/comedy anime are not my thing.

Graham

Thing is though, there was no comedy in this OVA.

A samurai who doesn't want to kill and a backwards sword? Sounds funny to me. :D

the ova is a prequel from his days as the battosai, so hes using real swords and killing lots of ppl

Graham

Thing is though, there was no comedy in this OVA.

A samurai who doesn't want to kill and a backwards sword? Sounds funny to me. :D

the ova is a prequel from his days as the battosai, so hes using real swords and killing lots of ppl

Really? :huh: I never knew that. Nevermind then.

Guess I gotta go back and eat my words.... :(

Graham--you must get the OVA. It's totally different. I don't like the series much either. But the OVA is like the greatest story ever, IMHO. Beats EVA, Esca, Bebop, and even my beloved Xenogears. Beats any book I've read, too. (And beats all Macross, including Plus). And it beats all of the above music-wise too, even though I have multiple copies of some of those soundtracks so I can hear it in my car, at home, and on my PC.

PS--make sure it's the 4-part OVA, and not the movie based on the TV series.

Graham--you must get the OVA. It's totally different. I don't like the series much either. But the OVA is like the greatest story ever, IMHO. Beats EVA, Esca, Bebop, and even my beloved Xenogears. Beats any book I've read, too. (And beats all Macross, including Plus). And it beats all of the above music-wise too, even though I have multiple copies of some of those soundtracks so I can hear it in my car, at home, and on my PC.

PS--make sure it's the 4-part OVA, and not the movie based on the TV series.

When thinking about the differences between the OVA and TV series of Kenshin, think how Patlabor 2 compares back to the Patlabor TV series.

I can see why some people mught have been put off by the first season of the show. The second season, Kyoto, was awesome. Very recomended. Season 3 was useless though unfortunately (shame it kept season 4 from being made). I am very happy to have the Manga finally, which means I'll get to read the Revenge arc in it's entirety. :)

The OVA is among my favorite anime. Even if you just watch that, that's fine. No TV experience is needed. The soundtrack and execution were very good. Dark, serious, and actually fairly realistic.

Graham

The OVA is very much different from the TV-series.

There is no comedy in the OVA. They did not hold back anything in the OVA, either.

I guess if we have to make comparisons with Macross franchise, the Kenshin T&B OVA is like 1000x DYRL over SDF-TV.

Simply put, Samurai X Rurouni Kenshin's Trust and Betrayal OVA is one of the very best anime ever made.

I was pleased with the RK OVA, because they kept to the flashback elements of Kenshin's past. The OVA is much better than that part of the manga. :)

Telling Kenshin's past as an OVA only about his past, rather than faithfully adapting the manga into a longer OVA series was a move that brought about a much better story.

:D Plus they put much more of the Shinsengumi into the OVA and had that big event in episode 2, which was a historically real event.

DO NOT read the profiles on any of the characters who are historically real (Okita, Saito, Katsura Kogoro, and Takasugi Shinsaku). The ADV made profiles are full of crap, they didn't do any research at all (it figures from the company that sleeps with HG).

Don't watch the dub either, the dialogue is butchered and the voice acting blows. :angry:

Graham

Yeh, tv series was not my bag. OVA was so much better however. It was dark and serious full of historical references, and best of all, the childish art style changed to match the seriousness of the story.

Second OVA was also very good. It was called Revenge of the Samurai or something equally retarded on the level of Samurai X. It deals half with the events of the first OVA and parts of the series, so for those who never watched either, you may be a bit lost. Otherwise, it's on par with the original OVA.

Edited by imode

The first OVA is great. The second one was just as good but I do wish the part with Enishi was a lot longer. Having never read the Revenge arc myself, the 2nd OVA is the only time where you'll get to see at least part of that story. They really should have expanded that OVA much longer to really cover the story, especially since that it ties in with the 1st OVA.-

Originally the Revenge arc was supposed to be Season 4 of the show, but having to make up stories to fill Season 3, they botched it and the show was dropped before they could make it. Damn shame too.

Revenge arc looks really good from what bit's I've seen. Everyone is involved from Aoshi to Saito, and supposed to be some good battles. The famous gut-wrencher really does generate a "whoa" when you see it the first time.

Afterwards some proper closure for the characters. Can't wait for the manga get to the new stuff.

I'm thinking about getting one of those Paul Champagne artboxes for the OVA's+movie. I'm getting the "Bento" boxes and thinpaks for my tv discs to go into (did season 1 already). Season 3 I'm not planning to buy with the exception of Firefly's Wish which I already got.

The Kyoto arc in the TV series was definitely awesome, but the OVA is just, we'll words won't do it justice. You have to see it for yourself.

Anubis, from which volume does the revenge arc start in the manga?

Joe P.

The Kyoto arc in the TV series was definitely awesome, but the OVA is just, we'll words won't do it justice. You have to see it for yourself.

Anubis, from which volume does the revenge arc start in the manga?

Joe P.

The Revenge Arc begins in Vol. 18 of the manga. Still a bit of a ways off, but at least it's coming. Kenshin's past (OVA storyline) is detailed from the second half of Vol. 19 thru Vol. 21 as he explains everything.

Kenshin is or never was a samurai. He was never trained as one.

He was a hitokiri.

Taku Iwasaki is a great composer, he has some greaet acoustic songs.

And yea, OAV 1 Tsuiku Hen (Samurai X is a dumb, Americanized name that the dubbers gave it) is a great OAV. Seisou Hen was great too, but really only if you were a fan of the series/manga. It was quite depressing. o_O

Wait, the manga is being translated? By who? Can it be ordered online?

There have been online translations (scripts) and some fan translated scans (much harder to find) of the manga for a long time now. I haven't let myself mess with reading very much at all holding out hope for an actual English version of the manga. My prayers are now answered. All I hunted for was what exactly the famous gut-wrencher was that I kept reading was in the arc, and found scans of that piece. I couldn't resist finding out what that was at least.

I hope Viz's volumes stay on a speedy release schedule.