BattleStar Galactica

Myersjessee

A few random thoughts after watching tonight:

- Is it possible that Baltar is a Cylon...? ("They? You're talking to me as if I'm one of them.")

- I can't help but wonder if the Imperious Leader or Lucifer will make an "updated appearance" at some point.

- How is it that the handguns Apollo and Starbuck were using were taking out the Centurions so easily this time? I thought they had to use special APDS rounds on them? And exactly how many rounds do those things hold, anyway?

- I really did not like how the new CAG was protrayed as so incompetent. I mean, c'mon.

- How has it been shown that Boomer is actually pregnant?

A few random thoughts after watching tonight:

- Is it possible that Baltar is a Cylon...? ("They? You're talking to me as if I'm one of them.")

- I can't help but wonder if the Imperious Leader or Lucifer will make an "updated appearance" at some point.

- How is it that the handguns Apollo and Starbuck were using were taking out the Centurions so easily this time? I thought they had to use special APDS rounds on them? And exactly how many rounds do those things hold, anyway?

- I really did not like how the new CAG was protrayed as so incompetent. I mean, c'mon.

- How has it been shown that Boomer is actually pregnant?

321692[/snapback]

1. If Moore and Eick decide to...sure!!

2. See above

3. Good point. I personally want to know why they have switched to those FN's instead of the revolver based ones.

4. You'd be surprised at how many people look good on paper and in their work, only to totally frak up when they're given supervisory or command positions...I know I've seen good guys that were very solid...but fell apart when in charge. One guy even forgot how to do some of the basic things we've done everyday for years. Pressure I guess. So I can relate to that being a realistic

plot point since I've seen it happen.

5. Well, Boomer did have morning sickness and Ron Moore has stated she's indeed preggers!

Edited by Gaijin

Just a little bit of trivia for you, the FN Sive-Seven that they are using have 20 round clips in them....while I didnt do an exact count of the amount of rounds fired, I do remember seeing them change mags a couple of times...and who knows, maybe the cylons that are a part of a boarding party have heavier armor then the regular patrol units....Also, to be a total nerd here...the FN was designed to fire 5.7mm Armor piercing ammo that was designed to penetrate type III body armor.....but that is just getting too technical.

Twich

I don't think the new CAG was so much incompetent as he was inexperienced. There probably could have a more experienced pilot out of the candidates but Adama was so shocked at the level of betrayal he woke up to that he was frozen with fear and chose someone that was more loyal than he was right for the job.

I was thinking the same thing about the explosive rounds vs. regular ammo. If anyone should know that they need explosive rounds it should have been Apollo. On an earlier episode last season a Cylon went after Helo and he shot it on the skull. It only dented the toaster's head but it was enough to crush whatever circuitry inside. I'm thinking that's what happened to these cylons... Just keep shooting just enough to hit the right place, where an explosive round would pretty much decimate it. Not sure though.

Great points this episode:

-Lee trying to kiss Starbuck on the lips.

-Helo returns to the fleet after being thought of as dead

-with a pregnant Boomer

-Lee wanted to kill Boomer

-Roslyn telling them to throw Boomer out the airlock

-D standing up to Adama

Edited by >EXO<

DID kiss her on the lips...

I wonder if Baltar IS the Imperious Leader. Just a random silly thought.

Actually, I think he's just a loon. He sees people (who are actually robots) that aren't there, talks (and interacts) to himself on a regular basis (which NO ONE seems to notice)...

DID kiss her on the lips...

321813[/snapback]

oh yeah... that's right... and she almost went for it then she remembered o'boy from the pyramid team. That's the best part. Man I can't believe I'm caught up in the soapiness... He looked like he was high or drunk or something.

I expect I'll catch hell for this, but I have to speak my mind.

I don't understand why so many people rave about this show, especially TV Guide's senior critic, Matt Roush. He seems to think this is the absolute best thing ever put on the small screen and I can't see any justification for his frequently glowing comments.

I've seen the mini-series, all of season one, and all of season two up to last night's episode and it's an okay show, but I don't think it's anything special. Here's my breakdown so far:

The plots are standard fare for any drama, regardless of genre and the writing is fair at best. So far, nothing has occured that's made me say, "Wow, I never expected that to happen" or "My, what an interesting plot twist." It's more like, "Yawn, more of the same old stuff." An example of this is when Callie shoots the Sharen that shot Adama. You could see that coming a mile away. Not to mention the fact that Sharen would have been moved through secure corridors with the bare minimum of security personnel, not right through the middle of everyone like some kind of damned parade.

The characters are uninteresting and unlikeable. Each week I find myself rooting for the Cylons to kill off the humans because they are too dull and ignorant to deserve to live. One example is keeping Helo's Sharen alive simply because she's pregnant and willing to help them find Earth. So what! That doesn't make her a good "person" and it certainly doesn't make her trustworthy. Helo should have killed her when he first discovered her true identity. As a soldier he has failed miserably in his duties. Of course, he's not the only one. Another example is the humans' blindness to the fact that the Cylons already know what will happen and are always one step ahead. It's obvious to anyone with the mental faculties of a turnip that the best course of action is to not follow the path written in their past, but to try something new.

One of the things that bothers me most about the Cylons is that the Centurions are still shiny metal machines. Sure, they look cool, but come on, they're able to make perfect "human" copies, but haven't been able to figure out how to make paint? They're an easy target in the lush green environments of Kobol, Caprica, and all the other worlds that aren't composed of shiny silver grass, weeds, and trees. They are soldiers, but use no camouflage. That is just plain stupid. There's a reason why our boys in Iraq wear tans and browns, you know. So they don't stick out like a sore thumb!

The only thing that really holds my interest are the CG scenes, which are too few and too far between for my tastes. Let's face it, most of the CG work is the short, one or two-second shots of the various ships in the fleet during scene changes. There really haven't been a lot of CG battle scenes, but the ones they've had are top notch. I realize these are the most expensive shots to get, but I'd rather see the Vipers and Raiders going at it than watch a bunch of idiots follow a religious zealot through the bush.

Overall, this series is better than the old BSG, but that's not really saying much. At least we don't have to put up with whiney little kids and their annoying robotic dogs this time around. I will continue to watch it because I record the whole Friday night block on Sci-Fi and have nothing better to do with my time, but I still prefer the two "Stargate" lead-ins.

That is my opinion. Let the bitching begin.

I'm conflicted with this show too. I never really cared much for the original, so when the whole 'reimagined' BSG mini series came out, I was interested in it. I never had the slightest problem with Starbuck being a female, in fact it presents interesting dynamics. Over all, I liked the mini series a lot, then comes season one, over all, I liked that too, but there were a few weak episodes IMO.

The special effects and space battles are generally excellent. Incidentally, with the kind of PR this show is getting, where the hell is their budget? You'd think after the huge success (ratings and reviews) of the mini series and season 1, season 2 would have a very healthy budget... NOT renting out Humvee's and UZI prop guns...(or shooting a hell of a lot of scenes in the Canadian woods)

I really feel like the character 'development' is melting down, I don't have a problem with complicated characters or people who've made mistakes. What's been happening at an accelerated pace in Season 2 is just plain irrational, illogical and inconsistant. I don't feel the writing is respecting the viewer's intelligence.

The way they've 'developed' the Starbuck and Apollo relationship is terrible. How can you see Starbuck as anything other than a tease ,and yes, a slurm? First she bangs Baltar on a whim, calling out Lee's name. Then she bangs the volley ball guy on Caprica. Then she is reunited with Apollo, stops his advances, then playfully leads him on with "You love me, you love me, you love me..." That's strikes me not as cute or playful but cruel and sleazy.

But then you've got Apollo, who sexually is a saint so far (so yep, he'll have a fling to even things out again) but comes off a smug jerk who thinks nothing of continually twisting the knife in his Father's back. Just predictably doing the exact oppostie of what his Father decides, I mean, work that crap out when your 12 or 14, not 25 or 30(however old he is). He just looks like a brat rebelling against his Father, not some deeply principled guy.

Roslin is a disaster. Not only is the fleet supposed to be utopia, but she's on drugs and talking like a religous nut AND they make her say things like ' I'll use the religous card', thus showing she doesn't quite believe her own sh*t, which makes no damn sense if you think about it.

Adama is just gonna look like a feakin idiot if he forgives Apollo and Starbuck and Roslin for profoundly betraying his trust and wrecking his authority.

And as we see, the rest of the pilots are helpless dumbass's, the grunts will just go with the flow rather than obey orders. And that they have the slightest trust in the Caprica Boomer...???? C'mon! Galactica Boomer had just blown up a Basestar, thus proving her loyalty beyond a doubt. So for ANYONE to trust Caprica Boomer because she saved Satbuck and Helo... So what? At any point she can switch in to kill/sabotage mode. You'd have to be retarded to trust her, period.

My fear is the whole Cylon's have a plan slogan is quickly turning into "The Truth is out there."(you'll just never hear it and if you did it wouldn't make a bit of sense) What they've done thus far has made me really not care about the main characters, they seem very unlikeable. At this point, I'm putting my support behind Zaruck, Baltar and above all the machine Cylons. The human race is apparently not worth it.

One last gripe for the moment, when they reveal the shocking 'Starbuck was abused as a child', while she's up on the stirrups no less, was just so... Sally Jesse Rapheal, so Maudlin. See? that excuses evey rotten thing she ever does from now on, that's a cheap stunt on the writers part, sorry if that's harsh, but it struck me that way.

I'm still watching, but now it's mainly for the space battles, they're kick ass at least. I need a Cylon T-shirt.

Edited by Major Johnathan

Well, I'm enjoying the show so far. I am still a bigger fan of the original, but this one is definitely keeping me entertained. I can't wait to see how the Pegasus plays into things.

On another note, I did some research on the FN Five-seveN which is being used in the show, and that is a truly fascinating handgun. Twenty round magazines, light armor piercing capacity, extremely light weight, highly concealable, and supposedly accurate out to 100 feet with iron sights. It sounds like it's almost too good to be true. I'm trying to find out if they are legal in NC without having to have a Class III FFL, because I'd like to add one to my collection.

Uhhh...

Number Six! LOL!

321877[/snapback]

haha...

I meant as in other shows. Which other show would you say is better or less annoying as BSG?

321881[/snapback]

Well, if it's science fiction, I'll usually give it a try. There are many shows that I just could never get into, like "Star Trek Deep Space Nine", "Star Trek Voyager", "Cleopatra 2525", "Andromeda", "Babylon 5", and even the much-loved "Farscape". The list goes on and on, and I'm sure that I probably missed a lot of good TV by tuning out, but they never really did it for me.

But, of course, for all the shows I didn't watch, there were some that were really great. First on the list is "Firefly". That was the best, most-original sci-fi show in a long time and I'm eagerly awaiting "Serenity". As I stated earlier, I'm a fan of the two "Stargate" shows despite their flaws. But it's tough to stop watching when I've been a fan for so many years. I just accept the cheese and go with the flow. I found "Star Trek: The Next Generation" pretty good even though I was never a big "Trek" fan. Another show I liked was cobywan's "Lexx", at least for a while. It got a little too weird and I stopped watching. And I can't leave out the best science fiction cartoon ever created: "Futurama". That show was just plain genius.

I never really meant to slam the new BSG, but I just don't see what others find so great about it. All the CG stuff is really good; right up there with "Firefly". Of course, both shows used the same company for this, so I would expect nothing less. But the shows shortcomings far outnumber its good points and I fear things will get even worse as the series progresses. Believe me, I hope I'm wrong. The show has great potential, but there's just not enough science fiction in it for me. To me, the show is just your plain jane soap opera set in outer space. If someone gets possessed by the devil, I'm gone!

Well, I'm enjoying the show so far. I am still a bigger fan of the original, but this one is definitely keeping me entertained. I can't wait to see how the Pegasus plays into things.

On another note, I did some research on the FN Five-seveN which is being used in the show, and that is a truly fascinating handgun. Twenty round magazines, light armor piercing capacity, extremely light weight, highly concealable, and supposedly accurate out to 100 feet with iron sights. It sounds like it's almost too good to be true. I'm trying to find out if they are legal in NC without having to have a Class III FFL, because I'd like to add one to my collection.

321895[/snapback]

It's only special due to the round it fires, the 5.7x28mm SS190 round. This is the same round used in the FN P90. The round itself is designed to penetrate infantry armor vests (bullet-resistant vests) for support troops. It looks like a smaller version of the 5.56 NATO round.

Uhhh...

Number Six! LOL!

321877[/snapback]

haha...

I meant as in other shows. Which other show would you say is better or less annoying as BSG?

321881[/snapback]

Well, if it's science fiction, I'll usually give it a try. There are many shows that I just could never get into, like "Star Trek Deep Space Nine", "Star Trek Voyager", "Cleopatra 2525", "Andromeda", "Babylon 5", and even the much-loved "Farscape". The list goes on and on, and I'm sure that I probably missed a lot of good TV by tuning out, but they never really did it for me.

But, of course, for all the shows I didn't watch, there were some that were really great. First on the list is "Firefly". That was the best, most-original sci-fi show in a long time and I'm eagerly awaiting "Serenity". As I stated earlier, I'm a fan of the two "Stargate" shows despite their flaws. But it's tough to stop watching when I've been a fan for so many years. I just accept the cheese and go with the flow. I found "Star Trek: The Next Generation" pretty good even though I was never a big "Trek" fan. Another show I liked was cobywan's "Lexx", at least for a while. It got a little too weird and I stopped watching. And I can't leave out the best science fiction cartoon ever created: "Futurama". That show was just plain genius.

I never really meant to slam the new BSG, but I just don't see what others find so great about it. All the CG stuff is really good; right up there with "Firefly". Of course, both shows used the same company for this, so I would expect nothing less. But the shows shortcomings far outnumber its good points and I fear things will get even worse as the series progresses. Believe me, I hope I'm wrong. The show has great potential, but there's just not enough science fiction in it for me. To me, the show is just your plain jane soap opera set in outer space. If someone gets possessed by the devil, I'm gone!

321900[/snapback]

I've never really watched Space dramas either before firefly. I never really knew why but I think after hearing Joss Whedon's commentary, I think it was the bumpy foreheads that always bugged me. That's why Firefly and BSG really caught on with me... That and I also liked Firefly's style of not having sound in space and BSG's muffled sound (which I think Final Fantasy: The spirits within did first. I also liked that there was no gravity in the smaller ships on that movie but the movie sucked as a whole). But I feel I overlook a lot of cliches not only in BSG but also Firefly and if I wanted to, I can complain about Firefly all day. Starting with the weak fights, which Joss Whedon proffessed that he doesn't like shooting action scenes and using the usual unrequited pairing up. But for both those shows I'm just gonna go along for the ride. I think a lot of us get frustrated at these shows not because they're cliche but we've seen too many shows or movies like it before hand. Just like with movies... knowing the suprise ending doesn't make you a great detective, you can only tell because you've seen so many suspense flicks before.

A lot of other complaints about this show also comes from people that aren't satisfied that it's not going exactly to the original's layout. I think if they want to see that, they might as well just rewatch the old series.

I enjoyed Sin City but I wasn't a great fan of it. Having it so close to the books made it seem like I should have just stayed with the books. I think if you take away Miller's story then the look and the acting would have been to contrived. Why am I talking about Sin City? I have no freakin idea, someone else brought it up. :lol:

Errrggh... I just want to say, for all the crap I'm giving BSG, NOTHING else interests me as far as televised Sci-Fi goes. I'm just afraid they're gonna mess up the only game in town.

I'm not really in to Stargate, nothing against it, just doesn't catch my eye. Star Trek has rightly gone dormant, God I hope they get new writers/producers, nothing new till there's new blood. The new Star Wars trilogy to me is eye candy, a few cool scenes here and there, but not very good characters or story. I hope the TV series will be a little more interesting, if they're making one.

I think generally, Sci Fi needs an enema. Could it be all the original story ideas and plot twists have been done to death?

I think generally, Sci Fi needs an enema. Could it be all the original story ideas and plot twists have been done to death?

321921[/snapback]

You know, I once read an article that stated that there are a finite number of actual story ideas that humans are capable of actually generating, and everything after that can only be variations and combinations. Considering all the stuff I've seen on TV, and all the movies that came out (I watched MARCH OF THE PENGUINS, a documentary, last weekend, because there was nothing good out) , I seriously think that humans might have exhausted all the themes available to death. I can't remember the last time I saw something original.

On the other hand, I still watch BSG though, and i like it. I don't really take the actual time to analyze why I like it, I just do.

Errrggh... I just want to say, for all the crap I'm giving BSG, NOTHING else interests me as far as televised Sci-Fi goes. I'm just afraid they're gonna mess up the only game in town.

I'm not really in to Stargate, nothing against it, just doesn't catch my eye. Star Trek has rightly gone dormant, God I hope they get new writers/producers, nothing new till there's new blood. The new Star Wars trilogy to me is eye candy, a few cool scenes here and there, but not very good characters or story. I hope the TV series will be a little more interesting, if they're making one.

321921[/snapback]

I know how you feel. I'm a huge fan of Alias up to this past season. That's why I think shows should have a limited number of years they should be on. You figure a couple of these actors will tire of their roles that they love so much now. I say six years max for shows. The British version of the Office was great and could have kept going, but it ended just right.

As I stated earlier, I'm a fan of the two "Stargate" shows despite their flaws. But it's tough to stop watching when I've been a fan for so many years. I just accept the cheese and go with the flow.....The show has great potential, but there's just not enough science fiction in it for me.

Not trying to flame you man, just thinking that SG1 and SG Atlantis have some huge plotholes. I mean BSG plotholes are alot less glaring than some of the things SG1 has done ( in all fairness, SG1 has been on the air longer with more episodes per season so far, so they had more room to catapult over that giant sharky) Richard Dean Anderson was great for the first half of the series, then you see him clearly want to be off the show in how he portray the character. He's pulled a classic "Mulder" , where the creators have to bend over backwards to accomodate his character arc at the cost of the shows overrall story ( If RDA would have kept up with the show, Don S Davis would probably still be around and he wouldn't have upset the chemistry of the four main castmembers. Then again that might have been a good thing) I mean at least the BSG main cast looks like they want to be on the show.

Heck I would have loved it if they closed off the Replicator storyline without making them 'human' instead of the classic Robotix style insects. Or explained how Daniel Jackson 'ascended' and returned without missing a beat. Or why all the aliens look pretty much human and all magically speak English. Or Teal'c losing his gut alien (probably because hes gained like 40 pounds since the start of the show) and now needs regular doses of Jaffa AZT. Guess the Jaffa Jamba Juice does wonders for the hairline too. And soap opera wise, the Carter/O'Neil romance arc is like a train wreck on that show. Or how realistic is sending your A) Overall Base Second in Command from season 1 to season 7 B) Best Scientific Mind C) Only Alien and D) Best Cultural Mind all on the same team on the same dangerous missions show after show after show?

I'm not criticizing your enjoyment of SG1, I've watched alot of episodes and like the show myself from time to time, I just can't resolve how SG1 cheese is a different better kind of edible realistic sci fi cheese than Galactica cheese.

321910[/snapback]

Believe me, I'm not trying to start a flame war here either. I'm not going to argue very hard in defense of the shows I watch, because well, I watch a lot of cheesy crap. I've seen "SG-1" and "Atlantis" from their respective beginnings and can pick out plot holes left and right, and do so on a regular basis. But the shows have much more fun, dynamic, and interesting stories and characters than BSG. As I stated before, the characters in BSG are unlikeable, mainly due to their utter stupidity. Anyone that ignorant should have been killed in the first wave of the Cylon attack. The only one who seems to have any brains is Gaius, and he's with the bad-guys!

One of the main reasons why "SG-1" has so many plot holes is that the show has had so many different writers over the years, it's difficult to keep the plot lines straight. And now, most of the writers and crew members who made "SG-1" a hit work only on "Atlantis". I've already seen a few episodes of "Atlantis" were I say, "I remember when they did that on the other show!"

Part of the... charm, for lack of a better word... is that we're taken on a fun ride while the world is going to end for forty minutes, and the team, regardless of show, manages to save the day in the last four minutes of many episodes. And I root for them to save the day because the characters are likeable. You've got the brave hero-type leading the group, the pretty smart girl, the witty smart guy, and the badass alien warrior fighting injustice across the galaxy. In BSG you've got the dumbass soldiers following the dumbass captain's orders while the dumbass president is leading a bunch of dumbass religious followers toward a fate their enemy has already told them about. That's more dumbasses than a Red Foreman rant on "That '70s Show." It's one thing to have a few stupid characters, but when everyone in the cast is an obvious moron, it's hard to have any sympathy for them.

Part of the... charm, for lack of a better word... is that we're taken on a fun ride while the world is going to end for forty minutes, and the team, regardless of show, manages to save the day in the last four minutes of many episodes. And I root for them to save the day because the characters are likeable. You've got the brave hero-type leading the group, the pretty smart girl, the witty smart guy, and the badass alien warrior fighting injustice across the galaxy. In BSG you've got the dumbass soldiers following the dumbass captain's orders while the dumbass president is leading a bunch of dumbass religious followers toward a fate their enemy has already told them about. That's more dumbasses than a Red Foreman rant on "That '70s Show." It's one thing to have a few stupid characters, but when everyone in the cast is an obvious moron, it's hard to have any sympathy for them.

321941[/snapback]

Completely agreed. Stargate doesn't pretend to be a serious show with serious issues. It's more of a fun mindless romp through the galaxies. As such I take it for what it is, relatively mindless entertainment. It's the same way with Firefly, which accomplishes the same fun factor but maintains a greater sense of seriousness. That's why it's still favorite sci fi series. BSG wants to be serious. Ok, I take it seriously. What? It's full of stupid people so as to set up contrived drama? It's not a bad show, just not good either. This latest ep which I did watch, because the new gf sat through Stargate for me, the least is I sit through BSG for her. Apollo is an idiot. He takes off after Boomer when he sees her run. Never mind you there's a Cylon shooting down on him and that he's abandoning the people he is supposed to to protect. This is obviously to set up the dramatic conflict where he struggles with Boomer for the grenade launcher (?) and she kicks him off to destroy the last Cylon. Oh great, so now they are going to have him be conflicted over whether he should or should not trust Boomer because she saved their collective asses. Also why was a nobody carrying the most powerful weapon? Starbuck is supposed to be a crack shot right? Why isn't she carrying it? Again drama set up that makes no sense. Oh yes, Adama is a great character, but what they did to him in this last ep was stupid. Now they turned him into a wuss who just wants his little boy back.

Glad to see that there are people out there who do not think BSG is a gift from the gods of sci fi. Felt like I was the only one last week. Like I said, don't hate the show, am just apathetic about it.

This latest ep which I did watch, because the new gf sat through Stargate for me, the least is I sit through BSG for her

:blink: OH.... where planet are you from you lucky b@st@rd ?, you mean your girlfriend actualy watches these shows !!! now that's REAL science fiction where I live LOL !

Could it be all the original story ideas and plot twists have been done to death?

321921[/snapback]

It's kinda ironic don't you think?

The chanting in Kobol's Last Gleaming and what they've said many a time:

(Latin)

Omnia illa et ante fiebant

omnia illa et rusus fient.

Ita dicimus omnes

(English)

All of this has happened before

and all of this will happen again.

So say we all.

It's all a Disney plot for Peter Pan sequel. :p

321941[/snapback]

Completely agreed. Stargate doesn't pretend to be a serious show with serious issues. It's more of a fun mindless romp through the galaxies. As such I take it for what it is, relatively mindless entertainment. It's the same way with Firefly, which accomplishes the same fun factor but maintains a greater sense of seriousness. That's why it's still favorite sci fi series. BSG wants to be serious. Ok, I take it seriously. What? It's full of stupid people so as to set up contrived drama? It's not a bad show, just not good either. This latest ep which I did watch, because the new gf sat through Stargate for me, the least is I sit through BSG for her. Apollo is an idiot. He takes off after Boomer when he sees her run. Never mind you there's a Cylon shooting down on him and that he's abandoning the people he is supposed to to protect. This is obviously to set up the dramatic conflict where he struggles with Boomer for the grenade launcher (?) and she kicks him off to destroy the last Cylon. Oh great, so now they are going to have him be conflicted over whether he should or should not trust Boomer because she saved their collective asses. Also why was a nobody carrying the most powerful weapon? Starbuck is supposed to be a crack shot right? Why isn't she carrying it? Again drama set up that makes no sense. Oh yes, Adama is a great character, but what they did to him in this last ep was stupid. Now they turned him into a wuss who just wants his little boy back.

Glad to see that there are people out there who do not think BSG is a gift from the gods of sci fi. Felt like I was the only one last week. Like I said, don't hate the show, am just apathetic about it.

321943[/snapback]

Have you ever stop to think that that weapon BELONGED to that nobody guy? And Apollo was running to stop Boomer TO PROTECT the people he's with? Seriously dude. You're looking for too many things to roll your eyes at. You sit down every week so preparing to be miserable. Don't mess it up for the rest of us, or try so hard doing it. Would Jane let anyone carry Vera around even though someone said they're a better shot? Just because a show has a serious tone doesn't mean you have to take everything about it so seriously. It's still just Science Fiction. :rolleyes:

I'll try some constructive criticism. What seems to be a real problem is that they are writing Apollo and Starbuck into too much, they are becoming more indespensible than whole ships or maybe even the whole fleet. (i.e., Galactica's pilots turn stupid as soon as Apollo leaves)

Apollo and Starbuck are ace pilots, let that be their scenes. In real life, pilots virtually NEVER have anything to do with ground missions. An F-14 pilot does not just hop into a seaking-helicopter (the way Apollo hops into the Raptor), and fighter pilots don't abandon their planes so they can get in infantry fire fights.

Starbuck and Apollo might be competant with their side arms, but to keep making them special forces-Rambo types stretch's credibility. And never do there seem to be serious soldier/marines, just Star Trek red-shirts hiding in green fatigues. They all get zapped, but somehow Apollo and Starbuck survive AND win the fight, accomplish the goals,etc.

They could introduce a whole bunch of cool,credible and professional soldier/special forces/Marines etc. The same goes for the Raptor pilots and crew, they should be very different from Viper pilots. I like new interesting characters, and the more characters you have, the more you can kill off, which makes drama.

And I know, some pilots do Forward Air Control to call in air strikes, I can see that, but what Apollo and Starbuck are doing from episode to episode is WAY beyond what seems realistic. The episode when the Cylons board Galactica, I can see the urgency of pilots grabbing side arms and all, but Galactica would have Marines aboard to deal with them, not your CAG and precious few pilots. If terrorists board a U.S. Carrier, it won't be the pilots doing the shooting. Apollo and Starbuck's extensive training and invaluable experience would exclude them from these constant 'away missions', and sure as hell Adama's place is on the bridge, not galavanting around Kobol.

I think you make some good points MJ, but this is a fictional show in a made up universe. So who's to say that the pilots in the show aren't trained in some of the same tactics and manners as the marines in the show. But I agree that it would be cool to have more marine characters (cannon fodder) introduced in a weekly basis. It would continue to have the viewer on the edge because the viewer wouldn't know who's going to get knocked off from show to show. There was HBO show called OZ that did this effectively in its first 2 seasons.

As the CAG, Apollo has various duties outside of just flying a Viper. And as far as I can tell, Apollo and Starbuck are almost the only original pilots left. And its not exactly as if they have some young Max Jenius coming up through the ranks. Boomer, a Viper pilot in the original series, is, well, a Cylon. There's not alot of name "warriors" in this show.

Well stated DeathHammer. But I think 45,000 or so is still a large enough number to work with. I'm not sure of the military make-up of the fleet, but it seems Glactica could be and would be conscripting every man able, and at least some women(since it's pretty integrated).

We are constantly seeing ships full of people with apparently nothing to do, and those inexplicable 'gaggles of reporters' (talk about useless people sucking up precious supplies.. <_< ), at times it's like there's more angst ridden reporters than soldiers. In fact, those reporters look pretty young and healthy, they'd make good recruits. The whole election story line was probably the dopiest part of season one, the idea that civilians should just carry on as normal while armageddon is going on outside the windows doesn't make sense to me.

It also makes Apollo and Starbuck look THAT much more insane and reckless. They are the best pilots and should be utterly consumed with training new pilots, not abandoning their posts and duties every time they feel like it. And look at that viper ratio, 2 out 3 are grounded? For cripes sake, get the chief and his mechanics to work instead of playing Soldier on Kobol...

Duke Togo, now that you mention it, a young Max Jenius could really work well in the story,considering how bad the pilots look of late. How about a pilot that just follows orders and slays Cylons day in and day out. In other words, put someone trustworthy, mature and reliable in charge of the Vipers.

The CAG entry for the Viper roster hasn't been updated since Eps 10 "The Hand of God".

We see Lee back with the MKVII at the end of last season, so we prob can assume that a good deal of those were put back into service.

I gotta agree with Major Johnathan....I understand that its a drama, and you want your main characters to be the focus, but I'd like to see a little less of Starbuck and Apollo on infantry missions. I'll buy the suprise problem (like Cylons on board and everyone is seperated, ship systems are done, so your just running around with a gun) but I didn't like Starbuck as a Sniper on Cloud 9, and I didn't like Apollo on the Raptor to save the Chief. Apollo flying in a Viper as CAP for the Raptor? Sure.... Anyways...it doesn't really bug me, but I think they have killed enough minor characters to bring a couple new Marines and such to the forefront for some episodes.

I don't really like card games but if anyone's interested...

http://www.cinescape.com/0/editorial.asp?a...24&obj_id=49465

BATTLESTAR GALACTICA Card Game

Dateline: Monday, August 22, 2005

By: NEWS EDITOR

By:

Source: WhizKids Games

WizKids Inc. has announced its agreement with Universal Studios Consumer Products Group to develop a collectable card game (CCG) based on the new SCI FI Channel's series.

Game play will mirror the intrigue of the television show: Players won’t know whom to trust, who the Cylon agents are or where the next attack will come from! Players will battle for ownership of resources and influence in order to control the fleet.

The game, slated for release in early 2006, features characters, ships and familiar scenes from the miniseries and television show.