Macross Manga

Aegis!

Should macross have its own manga series ?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Should macross have its own manga series ?

• Yes
    • No

OK , I´ve recently renew my love for manga and have gone through a lot of new series such as FMP or Rahxephon.

After that I started wondering , should macross have it´s own extensive Manga series ?

I personally think that it should have one indeed.

For starters , mangas tend to be a lot more extensive than TV series or OVAs thus it could feature a complex and incredibly deep plot.

Secondly , I think having a manga series would secure a more solid fanbase , if not here then certainly in Japan where macross is more than a shadow to Gundam , having a extensive series published in some magazine would attract more people the same way it happens with new series being translated into its anime form later on , even without having a solid background as macross.

Finally , the possibilities of having a manga series would be huge , imagine all the possibilities , not only it could feature new characters or new settings such as the 2020-30 colonisation process but there would be a lot of space for inovation.

Wha do you think , should macross aim to conquer the manga format once and for all ?

SDF Macross is already in Manga form. I have the first 3 volumes although its all in japanese. Its all in color and in the back it has advertisements for several Macross Artbooks. I have never seen it sold anywhere and I don't even know how many volumes it is.

SDF Macross is already in Manga form. I have the first 3 volumes although its all in japanese. Its all in color and in the back it has advertisements for several Macross Artbooks. I have never seen it sold anywhere and I don't even know how many volumes it is.

The SDF manga (cell comics actually) are 7 volumes in total.

All you need to do is visit the Macross world book section to get the info. See here.

Remember, there is more to Macrossworld than just the forums.

Graham

I'd be interested in a Macross manga, but only if it featured a military themed story and primarily military characters and had lots of nicely drawn Valks and Valk action scenes. Oh and fan service as well ;) Can't have manga without panty shots and shower scenes :p

Personally, I had little interest in the hover boot(?) wearing main character of Macross 7 Trash and the lack of Valks and Valk combat was the final nail in the coffin as far as Trash was concened. I mean I like Mikimoto's art just as much as the next Macross fan, but sorry in my book Macross without Valks is just not Macross and I found Trash to be sooooooo booring.

Graham

I've only read a bit of M7 Trash, so I can't really make too much of a comment on it's quality. The plto seemed interetsing enough, but I guess in typical manga style it got dragged out.

Interestingly, Mikimoto made a comment in an old interview that the game with the hover shoes was included as a replacement for the music element of Macross, since music is a hard thing to express in words and pictures.

I'd be interested in seeing soem Macross doujinshi, but it seems like most of that is of the pronographic nature, so I suppose that's a long shot.

And not forgetting Mylene Beat as well, which I personally enjoyed much more than Macross 7 Trash, which I found very slow paced and lacking in Valk action.

Graham

Euch!! Mylene Beat was absolute pants.

You seriously enjoyed it more than Trash?? Well, fine, if that's your opinion, but in my view Beat actually was pure TRASH. Stupid story, crap art, and to top it all off, NONE OF IT MAKES ANY SENSE!! Funny how none of these earth-shattering events with the Evil Series creature and whatnot not only go totally unnoticed in D7 the anime, it just DOESN'T HAPPEN! So? So, there's a serious continuity mess-up, 'cos D7 and Beat CANNOT both be canon, even though they are supposed to be.

By the way, my theory why Macross Manga not only *wouldn't* but in fact *doesn't* work, as has been proven, is that you can't have music in it. And you can't have Macross without music.

Trash actually tried to solve this problem by releasing a drama CD, focusing on the "Minmay Voice 2046" contest story arc of the series. Unfortunately, I think I'm the only one who ever noticed its existence, because the only review of it, or indeed any info on it I could find was written by.. er, me.

Wait I have a question...

At the end of M7 Trash wasn't music used to make that zentraedi all psycho and stuff... I dunno haven't read it in a while.

You seriously enjoyed it more than Trash?? Well, fine, if that's your opinion, but in my view Beat actually was pure TRASH. Stupid story, crap art, and to top it all off, NONE OF IT MAKES ANY SENSE!! Funny how none of these earth-shattering events with the Evil Series creature and whatnot not only go totally unnoticed in D7 the anime, it just DOESN'T HAPPEN! So? So, there's a serious continuity mess-up, 'cos D7 and Beat CANNOT both be canon, even though they are supposed to be.

Why do you say these events from M7 go unnoticed in M7Dynamite? I mean the fleet was under repairs in dynamite... this obviously assumes they had some huge problem..

Why people have diverted the conversation away from the topic ?

This topic isn´t focused on PAST manga releases (i.e. Trash or Beat ) nor why have they failed or why you don´t like it.

I meant this topic to be focused on the prospects of having a long-running manga series , it could very well be focused on the post-2051 conflicts or maybe on the post SW1 colonisation era. Maybe even a VF-X2 Ravens manga or maybe something complementary to Macross Zero set in the future ( around M+ ? ).

From the few macross manga that have been released the great mayority of them were based of M7 , now how succesful was M7 with the fans ? not that much to attract them to manga side stories.

Of course it was a foolish move from me to come here and put such a topic when the mayority of people here reside in America qhere manga isn´t hot at all so I shouldn´t be surpirsed no one gives a crap about a manga series.

I think the main problem to date is that Kawamori has never supervised any manga series hence none of them feature a balance between all the macross elements. So it shouldn be clear that when I talk about a manga series I mean it to have all the macross flavour.

My question is , would it help macross ? would it be good for fans ? would it be possible to cover a more deep plot within the unanimated macross timeline ?

My question is , would it help macross ? would it be good for fans ? would it be possible to cover a more deep plot within the unanimated macross timeline ?

I think the bigger problem, as has already been said, is that Macross manga misses out on one huge part of Macross: music. Losing such an important aspect of a series in manga form, really counts against any substancial Macross manga being made.

I think the bigger problem, as has already been said, is that Macross manga misses out on one huge part of Macross: music. Losing such an important aspect of a series in manga form, really counts against any substancial Macross manga being made.

Not just the music.

The transformation-sequence and the vocal-performances are also quite integral to the Macross franchise. At least to SDF-tv, DYRL, M+, and M-0. Even M2 had good stuff, even tho it's non-canon.

I think the manga will only be good for M7. That way, the M7-music is muted for the benefit to most of us.

They could release a soundtrack with the series or something...

anyway, I don't think they're interested in that at all. I mean who has time to think about manga when you're thinking about all the dogfights aerial CGs that happens on screen. I'm sure Kawamori would find it boring to think up an exciting story and only have a fraction of it translate on paper. Recently the storytelling has been the weakest point of the animes, that's pretty much all you're going to get in the mangas.

And not forgetting Mylene Beat as well, which I personally enjoyed much more than Macross 7 Trash, which I found very slow paced and lacking in Valk action.

Graham

Euch!! Mylene Beat was absolute pants.

I actually loved the art in Mylene Beat. I thought the Valks and spaceships where very nicely drawn, especially the VF-22. Mylene looked great as well. Plus there was lots of Mylene fan service :p sorry, I'm a sucker for anything Mylene.

I agree that Beat screwed with continuity and didn't make much sense, but I still liked it much more than Trash. Trash should have featured a warning on the cover "warning - little to no Valkyries" :lol:, so I would have known not to waste money buying it. Even if Trash does eventually get an English language release, I doubt I'll bother buying it.

Anyway, getting back on topic, I believe if well written and illustrated, a Macross manga could work. Of course, the music element would not be covered, but a good artist could handle mecha transformation sequences and mecha combat.

Graham

Wait I have a question...

At the end of M7 Trash wasn't music used to make that zentraedi all psycho and stuff... I dunno haven't read it in a while.

Why do you say these events from M7 go unnoticed in M7Dynamite? I mean the fleet was under repairs in dynamite... this obviously assumes they had some huge problem..

I didn't say the events from M7 go unnoticed, I was referring to the events in MyleneBeat. What happens in MyleneBeat, which takes place at the same time as D7, not always keeps a parallel to the events in D7 and often crosses into D7 territory. Meaning, it screws with continuity. Not only are some D7 scenes told totally differently in Beat, none of Beat's main focuses are ever touched upon in D7, even though they are of much higher consequence than what goes on in D7.

Without giving too much away, think "Barton and his research into the Evil series" (Beat) vs. "Basara and his singing at whales" (D7).

Oh, by thew way, for anyone who's interested, Trash is available in Italian... and possibly French, too.

Yup, it's available in Italian. Also in German. I remember looking up the editions and posting info somewhere in the pinned HG debate thread in "Other Anime".

I think I voted in favor of Macross manga but I agree with Agent One. At very least, it would be hard to do a good Macross manga. I haven't seen M7 trash or Mylene beat, but if the story doesn't prominently feature Valkyries, I don't see the point of it being a Macross story. And to do Valkyries right, you need to show space and motion.

I've read the Macross II manga, and it's awful from a visual standpoint. Granted, it also probably gets a lot of its basic badness of MII (which I haven't seen yet). But another example: as much as I appreciate the richer story in the Nausicaa manga, it also suffers from the cramped manga medium, especially as compared to the film.

To do a Macross manga right, I think it'd have to be at least the size of an American comic book, probably full-color, possibly painted (à la Sienkiewicz or Muth), and with ample use of full-page layouts. Think Tintin or (painted example) Moonshadow.

I'm not denying the importance of music in Macross, but I don't think it's fair to suggest that music is everything to a Macross story. Macross, particularly the original SDF, is many things to many people, which likely accounts for its sucess and its longevity. Surely there's writers who could generate a compelling action/adventure/character driven story set somewhere in the Macross universe.

And for you diehards who still insist that Macross cannot function without music, remember that a good writer and artist can sucessfully convey the emotion behind the music. And isn't that what you M7 fans are always preaching is what it's really all about? :p

And for you diehards who still insist that Macross cannot function without music, remember that a good writer and artist can sucessfully convey the emotion behind the music. And isn't that what you M7 fans are always preaching is what it's really all about? :p

I don't get it. There wouldn't be much to preach about if Macross7 had only been a manga. "A show about music, only without the music". Not much point, yes?

On the other hand, I thought that the "emotion behind the music" was conveyed pretty well in Trash, but the story overall was poor. And then there was Graham's point about the lack of action.

Even the KISS comics really dont convey music well - they just waggle gene simmons tongue alot. Can anyone name a manga/comic that has conveyed a good sense of audio? i think a while back there was a *im gonna be a rock star* manga but didnt follow it. anyhow, imho doing macross would be hard just for the fact that you really do need the music. even if they did a manga adaptation of Zero, can you imaging Sara singing *la la la!* and rocks floating in the air?

I don't get it. There wouldn't be much to preach about if Macross7 had only been a manga. "A show about music, only without the music". Not much point, yes?

Ok, so Macross 7 itself wouldn't work as a manga, but it was never written that way to begin with so we're really comparing apples and oranges. I still feel that if somebody created a new Macross story from the ground up, specifically written as a manga and not an adaptation, that it's not impossible to entertain us Macross zealots.

OK PEOPLE ; STOP DEBATING ABOUT MACROSS 7 !!!!!!!

If you don´t have anything relevant to say then don´t take this thread off topic.

This is not about PAST manga series , but the possibilities of NEW FUTURE manga releases.

If this continues I want the Mods to close it down.

Edited by Aegis!

Hmmm....I was thinking, macross is about a lot of things. Music, Valkyries and Love Triangles (Ok, 3 Things). A great mangaka can make good dogfight and the basicaly mecha combats (Battroid Mode) can be made by a lot of mangakas (How many mecha animes theres in japan?).

Love Triangles can be made by a writer with experience (IMO Masakazu Katsura can write it! He create a lot of good comedy and drama in I's).

And a musical manga...BECK! It's a good musical manga, Harold Sakuichi made it very good!