Robotech Re-mastered basically Animeigo DVD set?

With the announcement of this re-mastered Robotech DVD set that's coming out soon, isn't this just basically the Animeigo Macross set but with the english dub? If this is the case, I don't think I'm picking it up after already having bought the Macross set. Sorry if this has already been discussed somewhere else.

AFAIK- There's been no word on the who's remastered the RT version. It all comes down to whether or not:

1) Provisions were made with AnimeIgo beforehand that allows HG to use their remastered footage, with or without proper compensation, or

2) HG/ADV went to AnimeIgo afterwards and requested to use the remastered footage.

Does anyone know more?

Either way, it'll still suck. :D

I thought I had heard or read somewhere that the cut scenes had been dubbed back when they recorded everything, but because it had to be censored, those scenes were cut. It would make sense for this re-mastered set to be the Animeigo re-master with just the English added back in including the stuff that had been recorded for the cut scenes.

I do hope this isn't a matter of HG raping Animeigo after all the work they put into remastering the footage.

"By the way, since we own the lisence, we're going to use the footage you remastered for so long"

"Excuse me?"

HG sucks.

I hope Animeigo gets some credit at least for their work, and saw some compensation as well. But that's a contract matter.

You probably don't mean to imply otherwise, but just to be clear: if HG's contract with Animeigo doesn't contain an explicit option to use Animeigo's cleaned up footage, I doubt HG could just "take" it.

HG probably stuck a clause for rights to use Animeigo's cleaned up footage in their initial lisence contract, though I still think it's kind of messed up to bank off of Animeigo's work.

I do hope they at least credit them in the RT dvd credits.

I do hope this isn't a matter of HG raping Animeigo after all the work they put into remastering the footage.

"By the way, since we own the lisence, we're going to use the footage you remastered for so long"

"Excuse me?"

HG sucks.

I hope Animeigo gets some credit at least for their work, and saw some compensation as well. But that's a contract matter.

Until we actually get a look at it, I would hold off on comments.

Over at AoDVD an ADV rep & an hg rep already went over the specifics a month or two ago. Baiscally:

-It is indeed the AnimEigo remaster footage.

-Fanservice shots will still be edited.

-The scenes that are being added back in were already dubbed & clipped back in 85 for various reasons

-HG & ADV knew about this whole thing nearly 1 yeara go february/march when they held off on the Mospeada & Southern Cross releases to remaster them. Reason being the remastering costs were to be split between the two seperate releases.

-Audio tapes "thought to no longer exist" were found in a vault that contained seperate audio/vocal tracks that have been remastered into 5.1 dolby.

-They waited over 9 months to tell people about this upcoming release, that has been confirmed to have been known about at the time the Mospeada & Southern Cross releases were held back.

And finally, a confession....I ordered that robotech box 3 during right stuf's 9.99 sale just so I could get a copy of the sentinels on DVD...I feel so ashamed....yet it goes perfectly with my Space Gundam V DVD!

And finally, a confession....I ordered that robotech box 3 during right stuf's 9.99 sale just so I could get a copy of the sentinels on DVD...I feel so ashamed....yet it goes perfectly with my Space Gundam V DVD!

Damn, I forgot all about that. While I don't want it personally, though some guys were asking about a Sentinels release in a thread a while back. I should have remembered to put that when I posted about the sale. Oops.

Edited by Anubis

Damn, I forgot all about that. While I don't want it personally, though some guys were asking about a Sentinels release in a thread a while back. I should have remembered to put that when I posted about the sale. Oops. Maybe it will continue again in the new specials starting tomorrow. I'll make sure I mention it this time if it does.

I'm actually thinking about using the box it comes in too. Picking out some MPlus art, going down to kinko's having it printed out on some decent paper, and making my own Macross Plus 3 disc box set.

Damn, I forgot all about that. While I don't want it personally, though some guys were asking about a Sentinels release in a thread a while back. I should have remembered to put that when I posted about the sale. Oops. Maybe it will continue again in the new specials starting tomorrow. I'll make sure I mention it this time if it does.

I'm actually thinking about using the box it comes in too. Picking out some MPlus art, going down to kinko's having it printed out on some decent paper, and making my own Macross Plus 3 disc box set.

Not a bad idea really.

Maybe size it and print it on some Avery full sheet labels, then trim and stick it on.

I believe that HG split the cost of remastering with Animiego and ADV.

If I'm not mistaken, the big remaster was a pet project for Animeigo. They could have released much earlier, but they purposefully took like another year to make sure they fine tooth combed all the footage. I doubt HG was that generous to help them share the burden, and I think while the process was ongoing Animeigo said it was their investment. Animeigo took up the entire remaster cost. At first it was just going to be a clean up like what HG did with Southern Cross in the end, but Animeigo decided to do a full remaster of the footage they recieved from HG. The before and after pics were impressive.

Edited by Anubis

The next time you consider giving HG money, PM me and I will get you a boot DVD.

I'm far from an HG defender, but it's obvious that HG and Animeigo had some sort of agreement. HG owns the license and as it is, they contraced Animeigo to produce the Macross discs. So, basically buying the Animeigo discs is also giving HG money... even though most of us choose not to think about it. <_<

Either way, I think the whole project is stupid and yet another example of HG's obvious fear or cheapness. Why they keep trying to mine the same source material (Robotech and the 3 series that begat it) instead of create something new is pretty sad.

Personally, I picked up the 9.99 RT boxes that I didn't have at the RightStuf sale too. If I want to watch RT (which I occasionally do for sentimental value), I want it to look as funky and scuffed up as it did when I watched on UHF at 10 years old.

Edited by Blaine23

I'm far from an HG defender, but it's obvious that HG and Animeigo had some sort of agreement. HG owns the license and as it is, they contraced Animeigo to produce the Macross discs. So, basically buying the Animeigo discs is also giving HG money... even though most of choose not to think about it. <_<

I didn't have to think about it. I always did, and still do, believe that HG does own the rights to distribute the Macross TV series in the U.S. (just nothing else Macross, though).

:p

1stBRD- Could you cite a source or something which suggests that HG split the remastering costs with AnimeIgo? I was under the impression that AnimeIgo paid for the remastering of Macross out of their own pockets, with no support from HG. But I could be wrong. I can't remember who or what gave me that idea... maybe it was the SDCC or AX?

Now that's gonna bug me all day!!! :blink:

I'm pretty much certain Animeigo's Shin and co. said they footed the bill for the remaster themselves, rather proudly too.

Out of morbid curiosity, can anyone tell me how the Robofans are reacting to this? Are they thrilled that HG has double dipped into their wallets (triple dipped, if they also bought the Mospeada/SC sets) and are foaming at the mouth in anticipation for preordering the remastered set?

IF I was an RT fan, I would be kind of lit at the triple dip into my wallet, and would have asked why the hell didn't they issue a remaster box instead of the single brick release they cranked out last year.

Edited by Anubis

Out of morbid curiosity, can anyone tell me how the Robofans are reacting to this? Are they thrilled that HG has double dipped into their wallets (triple dipped, if they also bought the Mospeada/SC sets) and are foaming at the mouth in anticipation for preordering the remastered set?

Well, I don't visit RT.com very often, but knowing how their forum is run, I'd assume that any fan back-lash posted over there would be quickly shut down and deleted.

They probably don't care, I don't think anyone will buy the remasters anyway. If you are really into the Macross Saga of Robotech chances are you already bought SDF-Macross remastered from Animego so why would you go back and buy a different mared version of what you already have. It doesn't make sense.

1stBRD- Could you cite a source or something which suggests that HG split the remastering costs with AnimeIgo? I was under the impression that AnimeIgo paid for the remastering of Macross out of their own pockets, with no support from HG. But I could be wrong. I can't remember who or what gave me that idea... maybe it was the SDCC or AX?

After countless sleepless nights and expenses shared by Harmony Gold, Shin had completed a pristine restoration of the Japanese Macross series that was clearer and brighter than originally broadcast!

That is from the Disaster to Remaster Part 2 article on Robotech.com's front page.

Disaster to Remaster Part 2

Of course....Im sure people will say that this proves nothing. I'll try and track down the other source where I read this.....or someone could get Shin to come to the board and clear it up.

I'm far from an HG defender, but it's obvious that HG and Animeigo had some sort of agreement. HG owns the license and as it is, they contraced Animeigo to produce the Macross discs. So, basically buying the Animeigo discs is also giving HG money... even though most of us choose not to think about it. <_<

Depends on the contract. It's possible that Animeigo paid a fixed fee (or agreed to let HG use the remastered footage) in exchange for the license. HG only gets something when you buy the Animeigo SDF Macross if Animeigo is obligated to pay a per-unit royalty. Do we know anything about this?

Either way, I think the whole project is stupid and yet another example of HG's obvious fear or cheapness.  Why they keep trying to mine the same source material (Robotech and the 3 series that begat it) instead of create something new is pretty sad.

The reason is obvious, and it's why I lost interest in RT a long time ago, even though I found the original grand story arc fairly appealing: HG is incapable of creating new, interesting material.

Well, I don't visit RT.com very often, but knowing how their forum is run, I'd assume that any fan back-lash posted over there would be quickly shut down and deleted.

Nope, still there. Only posts that engaged in "insults" against ADV or HG were wiped.

It's died down now, with usually one "why are we forced to buy RT again" post per week at the moment.

We'll see after vol 1 of Remastered comes out...

Cyc

After countless sleepless nights and expenses shared by Harmony Gold, Shin had completed a pristine restoration of the Japanese Macross series that was clearer and brighter than originally broadcast!

That is from the Disaster to Remaster Part 2 article on Robotech.com's front page.

Disaster to Remaster Part 2

Of course....Im sure people will say that this proves nothing. I'll try and track down the other source where I read this.....or someone could get Shin to come to the board and clear it up.

If HG did split remastering costs with AnimEigo, wouldn't this mean that HG had RT remastered in the pipeline while they were still releasing the original 7 boxsets?? As I recalled when the original boxsets were released, it was annouced that they won't remaster RT. After the original boxsets they then released the non extras version also... That means HG really has been milking fans since almost day one.

vinnie

At least you bought it cheap.....Although, was it even worth $9.99? Heck are they even worth any price?

If HG did split remastering costs with AnimEigo, wouldn't this mean that HG had RT remastered in the pipeline while they were still releasing the original 7 boxsets?? As I recalled when the original boxsets were released, it was annouced that they won't remaster RT. After the original boxsets they then released the non extras version also... That means HG really has been milking fans since almost day one.

vinnie

But you have to remember that this was the era when Animeigo passed on Mospeada and SC as not having enough fans for them to justify releasing them, and ADV's abrupt about face on remastering Mospeada and SC seems to indicate that if HG was considering remastered RT back then, it was blue sky talk.

Cyc

So does your Robotech box set go in a lead lined case when you put them away with the rest of your anime collection? ;)

I really can't complain about the Robotech Remastered DVD's because it gave us all Southern Cross and Mospeada in remastered form and at a decent price. B))

vinnie

But you have to remember that this was the era when Animeigo passed on Mospeada and SC as not having enough fans for them to justify releasing them, and ADV's abrupt about face on remastering Mospeada and SC seems to indicate that if HG was considering remastered RT back then, it was blue sky talk.

Cyc

Your justification makes no sense. No company is going to invest money into a project unless they expect to turn a profit. If indeed HG did split remastering costs with AnimEigo, then the decision to remaster RT was already made back before AnimEigo released the SDF-Macross boxset and before the release of the original RT boxsets.

I personally don't believe that HG paid for any of SDF-Macross's remastering. They may, however, have compensated AnimEigo after the fact to reuse the remastered footage. Then they go and claim they had split remastering costs to make themselves out as the good guys.

vinnie

So does your Robotech box set go in a lead lined case when you put them away with the rest of your anime collection? ;)

I really can't complain about the Robotech Remastered DVD's because it gave us all Southern Cross and Mospeada in remastered form and at a decent price. B))

I'm most likely going to give away/trade the robotech DVD's, & keep the sentinels disc.

And yes, HG did help with the remastering costs, or more accurately, put up an initial sum of money. AnimEigo however took the remastering well above & beyond the initial projected efforts, and wound up paying the bulk of the costs.