Bandai America's Latest press release

Prowlus

What was meant to be said was, Zeta Gundam not to be aired on Cartoon Network, but Gundam SEED will during Spring line up. Good and bad, something very recent should help raitings for people to watch Gundam. A problem with previous shows like 0079 and such was the poor animation and the out of date coloring styles and graphics...it tends to give some kids headaches. I remember watching the movies back in 97, I had a big headache watching it cause the style was too out of reach for me, while I enjoyed the more recent styles. But with this said that April is the projected time of Airing for SEED, it makes me think they didn't take the dub very seriously and it'll probably suck. Than again, Gundam Wing's dub was something that shocked me as something not as bad.

I don't know how reliable that one is. I'll wait for the full press release from Bandai. All signs were pointing to Zeta coming first, which was already overdue anyway. Then F91, then Seed. The Zeta box set will definately be released first, which in normal fashion would mean it would air first.

That, and it would have been on Anime News Network already, not a toy site. The toy sites have misquoted and such before. With word that the toys are at least coming, we can expect an actual press release about Zeta and Seed's broadcasts and DVD's within a couple of months.

They just announced the English cast for Seed anyway, so it wouldn't be ready yet. Zeta is supposedly ready to go out the door already as soon as they decide it's time.

Bandai needs to hurry the hell up and announce Zeta NOW! It's been too freakin' long already.

All things said & done, the animation quality is much improved in Zeta over 0079 (not that I personally have any problem with 0079, because I don't), aside from the coloring differences, the quality is lightyears above current U.S. animation, most definately watchable for the mass market. I'm not saying Seed's animation doesn't blow it away, but Zeta still stands as king in the story department. A very sad move on CN's part not to broadcast it, but as long as I get by box set, I don't care.

What was meant to be said was, Zeta Gundam not to be aired on Cartoon Network, but Gundam SEED will during Spring line up.  Good and bad, something very recent should help raitings for people to watch Gundam.  A problem with previous shows like 0079 and such was the poor animation and the out of date coloring styles and graphics...it tends to give some kids headaches.  I remember watching the movies back in 97, I had a big headache watching it cause the style was too out of reach for me, while I enjoyed the more recent styles.  But with this said that April is the projected time of Airing for SEED, it makes me think they didn't take the dub very seriously and it'll probably suck.  Than again, Gundam Wing's dub was something that shocked me as something not as bad.

Headaches watching 0079? Is that the excuse they use now for not enjoying an old anime? :huh:

All things said & done, the animation quality is much improved in Zeta over 0079 (not that I personally have any problem with 0079, because I don't), aside from the coloring differences, the quality is lightyears above current U.S. animation, most definately watchable for the mass market. I'm not saying Seed's animation doesn't blow it away, but Zeta still stands as king in the story department. A very sad move on CN's part not to broadcast it, but as long as I get by box set, I don't care.

It was known for a while that Zeta would be a direct to DVD release. Lets face it, even airing in Adult Swim, Zeta would still need to go through extensive editing. Heck.... if aired in Adult Swim I bet they will most defenetly cut the part about the 2 Seed character having sex.

I for one.... seriously hope Bandai leave the TMRevolution "clip" episode from Seed. It isn't enough to have alot of clip episodes, but you also need to have an episode created to promote one of their songs. And IMO.... TMRevolution sucks, and it sucks pretty bad. The only good song they ever put out was Heart of Sword, period. <_<

Edited by Abombz!!

I have to agree with some...

I cannot stand to watch the original series. The animation is just too crappy, and even when it's relatively well drawn, it is so choppy and inconsistent that it makes the anime friend Macross episodes look crisp and clean by comparison.

I have yet to see Zeta, but have been dying to, so I agree with Kieth - Bring my box set dammit! (well, as long as it's not 250 bucks)

As to the newer stuff, 0080 is much better animation wise, but the crowning jewels so far have got to be 0083, 08th Team, CCA, and SEED.

Hmmm..

The only great news about Seed coming to the US is what I read on Figures.com today

*Gundam

Following the success of last year’s battle-scarred assortment, Bandai expands the Gundam line to include characters from the new Gundam Seed series, scheduled to air on the Cartoon Network Action Block in April 2004. The new line features deluxe 4.5-inch action figures, 4.5-inch deluxe battle-scarred action figures with dioramas, 7.5-inch action figures, action figures with vehicles, action figure model kits, and a 12-inch Mega Size Gundam.

I'm sucker for a good 12 inch DX Gundam. Particularly when they're sold domestically. :)

i knew zeta was gonna get held back again <_<

[rant mode on] it's not a big surpise considering how popular gundam seed was this past year. but the designs in zeta are timeless....my nieces and nephews like watching those 80's shows....i guess more kids now-a-days are more towards "newer" animation and stuff...but it's still no excuse since toonami showed robotech a few years ago and was up there with dbz(ratings wise)...and now toonami is showing the original dragon ball (which aired in the 80s too?)....so why would cartoon network show cartoons that'd be so old if they give kids "headaches" ?....if they really want something crappy they should watch something that's nothing but crappy animation (and might as well throw in a crappy script too) like the original he-man <_< [rant mode off]

just release the damn dvd's already...is it really that much to ask for bandai?!

I have to agree with some...

I cannot stand to watch the original series. The animation is just too crappy, and even when it's relatively well drawn, it is so choppy and inconsistent that it makes the anime friend Macross episodes look crisp and clean by comparison.

I have yet to see Zeta, but have been dying to, so I agree with Kieth - Bring my box set dammit! (well, as long as it's not 250 bucks)

As to the newer stuff, 0080 is much better animation wise, but the crowning jewels so far have got to be 0083, 08th Team, CCA, and SEED.

I'm sorry, but no. 0079 was animated much better than the anime friend Macross episodes.

You kids need to learn to respect your elder animation. Go watch some Galaxy Express 999, Arcadia of My Youth, Space Cruiser Yamato, and see just how great show's were then.

HOLD ON A SEC!!!

Now I am canadian so it really doesn't affect me but... SEED will air on CN but Zeta wont????

Wow SEED is going to be hacked!!!!!! Especially the later half of the show with people exploding and such. I mean and those are important scenes too. Man and Z won't air because it is to violent... I mean it didn't really even have alot of blood. Oh well they did air 0080 and the 5th episode was still the most gory thing I have seen in gundam.

As for MSG's animation... you think it has bad animation look at Mazinger and getter robo and its brethren. MSG was awesome just not for little kids. And yes Zeta's animation is beyond excellent its DYRL almost. Dont dis old school shows because they blow others out of the water. Galaxy express just to nam one

EDIT- Keith beat me to it.

Edited by bob joe mac

Actually, I don't think we have that much to worry about with editing Seed. Taking a look at Sunday's adult swim, which included Space Ghost talking about banging dogs in the ass, and sprinkling his on urine on "retardo's" to cure them, the boundries of a few years ago seem to have been blown wide open....damn they need to put Home Movies on DVD.

Hmmm..

The only great news about Seed coming to the US is what I read on Figures.com today

*Gundam

Following the success of last year’s battle-scarred assortment, Bandai expands the Gundam line to include characters from the new Gundam Seed series, scheduled to air on the Cartoon Network Action Block in April 2004. The new line features deluxe 4.5-inch action figures, 4.5-inch deluxe battle-scarred action figures with dioramas, 7.5-inch action figures, action figures with vehicles, action figure model kits, and a 12-inch Mega Size Gundam.

I'm sucker for a good 12 inch DX Gundam. Particularly when they're sold domestically. :)

Yeah, but that particular DX Gundam can already be had from HLJ.

It's a Toydel, sort of HG in nature, but packs a shitload of detail, and is VERY easy to assemble. I have it, and I always thought that it felt like a DX toy when completed.

1/60th Strike Gundam

Not to say that if I find one in Wal Mart for 35 bucks I won't snag it. I have been thinking of picking up another one, and doing a non armored (non colored) custom.

Edited by Mechamaniac

Enough is enough old anime vs. new anime, each one has his own taste. I my self liked the UC shows very much old or new from the series to OVA`s, the movies and some of the AU shows like Gundam-X and Turn A Gundam. I watched the 1`st three episodes of SEED there was nothing new in it but yet I liked it ! especially the Strike Gundam yet very simple design but very nice.

As for Z Gundam the animation is excellent for it`s time, even today you can still watch it then what about macross and other sci -fi anime like the super robot shows or Battle Spaceship Yamato (I liked that show) . OK then how many of you liked ZZ Gundam :D . I wonder if the DVD Z Gundam will be the series or the movie complition ?.

PS: did any of you preordered this item :

http://www.hlj.com/scripts/hljpage.cgi?BAN922805

Seed will end up like Wing. Edited for daytime, everything left in at night and unedited DVDs. I'm not going to worry too much about Seed anyways. Unless they really do something wrong with it.

As for Zeta, take your time. It's easier on my wallet but don't test my patience.

I'm sorry, but no. 0079 was animated much better than the anime friend Macross episodes.

You kids need to learn to respect your elder animation. Go watch some Galaxy Express 999, Arcadia of My Youth, Space Cruiser Yamato, and see just how great show's were then.

As for MSG's animation... you think it has bad animation look at Mazinger and getter robo and its brethren. MSG was awesome just not for little kids. And yes Zeta's animation is beyond excellent its DYRL almost. Dont dis old school shows because they blow others out of the water.

Unfortunately, the mentality of people is to believe newer is better. With kids these days, it's all about the flash and effects. Everything else went out the window. <_>

As for Z Gundam the animation is excellent for it`s time, even today you can still watch it then what about macross and other sci -fi anime like the super robot shows or Battle Spaceship Yamato (I liked that show) . OK then how many of you liked ZZ Gundam [biggrin.gif]  . I wonder if the DVD Z Gundam will be the series or the movie complition ?

Ok first the compilation will be the 50 eps series as far as I know the movies (prob 3) aren't even anywhere near finished.

2nd Why did you bring up who liked ZZ gundam it had nothing to do with anything :huh:

But I think while ZZ gundam did have a craptacular eps 3-15ish the rest of the show was friggin awesome, I'd even say almost as good a Z.

Now what I am waiting for is a release of V gundam :D (Which IMO the BEST)

So after these three we have ZZ,V, X and Turn A and thats it.

V and Turn A will prob be released last.l

I don't think so. If you collect cels, then you can tell the difference in the drawings' quality is rather significant. Wing's characters have more detailing work in terms of shading, while V's characters have this decided 2D look (harking back to the 0079 style) due to the simplistic approach taken towards shading. There's a reason that V Gundam cels is fetching even less than other UC shows back in Japan.

Edited by Jolly Rogers

2nd Why did you bring up who liked ZZ gundam it had nothing to do with anything :huh:

But I think while ZZ gundam did have a craptacular eps 3-15ish the rest of the show was friggin awesome, I'd even say almost as good a Z.

I brought it up because many people don`t like Z Gundam either the story or the it`s old animation. As for ZZ Gundam it`s a bit lower in the animation than Z and I know many hate ZZ but not me :)

Seed will end up like Wing. Edited for daytime, everything left in at night and unedited DVDs. I'm not going to worry too much about Seed anyways. Unless they really do something wrong with it.

As for Zeta, take your time. It's easier on my wallet but don't test my patience.

As for MSG's animation... you think it has bad animation look at Mazinger and getter robo and its brethren. MSG was awesome just not for little kids. And yes Zeta's animation is beyond excellent its DYRL almost. Dont dis old school shows because they blow others out of the water.

Unfortunately, the mentality of people is to believe newer is better. With kids these days, it's all about the flash and effects. Everything else went out the window. <_<

Well, I hardly think I qualify as "these kids". Due to a recent poll, I qualify as one of the elders of MW being well over the age of 30.

I did not say (and perhaps I should have) that I like the original STORY of 0079, it is just the animation that in my opinion is not good. Yes, I realize that for it's time, it was fantastic, and cutting edge, and by many standards is light years beyond some of the crap that is being produced today by American animators. However, IMHO, the animation is too cartoonish. I mean, Amuro looks more like the Rankin Bass Bilbo Character than like a human being. IMHO, the animation detracts from what is truly a great story.

Sorry, I'm an old fart, but I prefer my Animation to be more modern, crisp, and clean, which again IMHO makes it more believable.

I was around to see all of the original anime, and at the time I loved it. I give it all credit for making me an anime fan in the first place. But, as you get older, your tastes mature.

So, consider 0079 like the Red White and Blue beer that you sucked down with abandon at 18, however, at 34, you would much prefer the Bass ale that is 0083, 08th Team, or CCA. Either way, they're both beer, but you prefer one over the other.

Sorry, I'm an old fart, but I prefer my Animation to be more modern, crisp, and clean, which again IMHO makes it more believable.

I was around to see all of the original anime, and at the time I loved it.  I give it all credit for making me an anime fan in the first place.  But, as you get older, your tastes mature. 

So, consider 0079 like the Red White and Blue beer that you sucked down with abandon at 18, however, at 34, you would much prefer the Bass ale that is 0083, 08th Team, or CCA.  Either way, they're both beer, but you prefer one over the other.

:angry: Y'know, Mechamaniac, I was willing to cut you some slack, what with your far superior knowledge of 12" Gundams, etc...

But then you had to go and cast disparaging remarks toward Pabst! I'll take Pabst over Bass any day! But if you were to mention Samuel Smith vs. Milwaukee's Best (the Beast)... then I might follow your logic.

S'okay, though... as I've said before and I'll say again - Diff'rent Strokes rule the world.

Personally I dig the old animation better, it just has a classic quality (like Disney's Bambi or Dumbo) that new anime just doesn't seem to measure up to. I like both, but I can see where you're coming from with your preference.

Just don't dis the PBR again! :p

008PABSTWHATLL.jpg

Edited by Blaine23

I was around to see all of the original anime, and at the time I loved it.  I give it all credit for making me an anime fan in the first place.  But, as you get older, your tastes mature. 

So, consider 0079 like the Red White and Blue beer that you sucked down with abandon at 18, however, at 34, you would much prefer the Bass ale that is 0083, 08th Team, or CCA.  Either way, they're both beer, but you prefer one over the other.

:angry: Y'know, Mechamaniac, I was willing to cut you some slack, what with your far superior knowledge of 12" Gundams, etc...

But then you had to go and cast disparaging remarks toward Pabst! I'll take Pabst over Bass any day! But if you were to mention Samuel Smith vs. Milwaukee's Best (the Beast)... then I might follow your logic.

S'okay, though... as I've said before and I'll say again - Diff'rent Strokes rule the world.

Personally I dig the old animation better, it just has a classic quality (like Disney's Bambi or Dumbo) that new anime just doesn't seem to measure up to. I like both, but I can see where you're coming from with your preference.

008PABSTWHATLL.jpg

Except First Gundam and Zeta aren't really beers at all... they're fine aged wines. And while I'm on the topic, Wing and SEED aren't really beers either... they're more like Mountain Berry Blast Kool-Aid with extra sugar. The beers would be the one-year war OVAs, which were well animated, but lacking sorely on story. Y'know, empty carbs.

008PABSTWHATLL.jpg

HEY!, I didn't mention Pabst!. I said RED WHITE AND BLUE.

Maybe it's a regional thing, but RWB is (or was when I was 18) actually a different brand of beer here on the East Coast. Maybe it was a subsidiary of Pabst, iunno.

If so, I apologize for the misunderstanding....and hereby recognize Blaine23's endorsement of Milwaukee's BEAST as the worst beer ever.

Except for this local swill they have around here, Crazy Horse Malt Liqour, FEH. You know there's something wrong when the bottle says "Proudly brewed in Baltimore since 1989". Keep in mind that when I tried this whizz water, it was only 1993. :lol:

Anyway.

BACK ON TOPIC

forget the original topic (gundam). forget the new topic (crappy beers) - i like the sidestory of old vs. new anime lol.

i still think speed racer is one of the best looking anime out there - when you desire a supercar from the 60's you know it's drawn right. go Mach Five! ok so the characters move around all herky-jerky - but that's just part of the "charm" - retro is cool.

as for yamato/star blazers - there is a reason why that Daft Punk video was so popular a while back - good anime never dies, and neither will anything by Leiji Matsumoto. it's not fine wine, because it was good straight off the vine.

finally, look at the cruddy anime coming out these days - pokemon? digimon? yugioh? and yes, even DBZ? cmon, you have to admit- the actual animation isn't beautiful, pretty, or even cute. it is of low quality and ranks up there with the Transformers in terms of animation shelf life. some day these kids might buy the dvds for nostalgia quality, but it won't be because it looks good. with the exception of Transformers:The Movie lol.

-

edit one more thang - the advent of the OVA and the death of the Full Length Feature movie marked the end of good quality anime imho - it's hard to find ova that doesn't cut corners, and very few good movies come out in the theatres anymore, to the point where each one is an "event" and is the "next akira" lol. let's just thank macross for even putting out some quality episodes despite animefriend - budgets even in the better days didn't allow for great quality, and even less so now.

Edited by JValk

edit one more thang - the advent of the OVA and the death of the Full Length Feature movie marked the end of good quality anime imho - it's hard to find ova that doesn't cut corners

Whoa, wait a minute... This thread has pointed out several OVA series that didn't cut corners.

Gundam 0083

Gundam 08th MS Team

Gundam 0080 War in the Pocket

Macross Plus

Macross Zero

Rurouni Kenshin

As for Movies...

Escaflowne

Cowboy Bebop - Knockin' on Heaven's Door

All of these are fine examples of great quality anime that doesn't cut corners.

I think the whole point of the OVA is that they CAN take the time to make it better quality since there are fewer episodes and much greater time in between episodes.

It looks better than a handful of not very well done Macross episodes perhaps, but on a whole it looks pretty dreadful compared to the actual properly done Macross episodes.

It's aged quite poorly, much worse than Macross. I don't just mean it's animation either.

Younger people or people newer to anime see things like Wing, SEED or other shows then see a relic like MSG, and find it doesn't offer a whole lot more while looking a lot worse. They don't have nostalga factored into what they like so can you blame really blame them for prefering newer shows?

It's aged quite poorly, much worse than Macross. I don't just mean it's animation either.

.... They don't have nostalga factored into what they like so can you blame really blame them for prefering newer shows?

Well you have to remember, Gundam 0079 did horrible back in 1979. It didn't pick up steam until it hit reruns. Yeah it aged poorly because it wasn't till after-the-fact did it pick up steam. That's really what the movies were for.

Of course, 10 years down the road, they'll be saying Wing was their nostalga for the kids. <_>

actually its going to be more the other way around. bandai's announced that they're scaling back their planned Zeta merchandising in favor of NEW SEED toys (zeta not getting any airtime will presumably make for bad sales). so we'll probably see the Zeta MSiAs already released for the asian markets, as well as the Zeta HGUCs (of which several are brand new), and some SD Zeta gashapon to go with the other SD stuff. the SEED ADMSiA will never pass US saftey tests, so we can expect some regular new MSiA, probably the 1/144 and 1/100 HG kits and SD gashapon too.

Semi-off topic

Anyone know anymore about that 1 ep OVAish thing for SEED that was annouced a month or two ago? Besides the fact that it'll explain some of the after events of the war.

It's 3-5 minute short on Vol. 13 of the R2 release. It will just be a epilogue.

Why can't they just bring out Zeta 1st then Double-Z, and then get Seed out towards the end of the year.

Gundam Seed is not that good.

Seed is more for the new audience than it is for the old. It would be easier for Bandai to reach out to the audience with Seed as opposed to Zeta.

the SEED ADMSiA will never pass US saftey tests, so we can expect some regular new MSiA, probably the 1/144 and 1/100 HG kits and SD gashapon too.

I hope so because the AMSIA where very bad, I had to sell mine for half the price. I`m waiting for good Seed figures, it doesn`t if they are like the normal MSIA or a FIX would do nice :)