M+ Drone Fighter 3D Printing Project Request

charger69

I'm still working on parts. Nothing really to show. There's just more of what I showed. However, I did finish all molds and the wing, as much trouble as it's been with the 1/72, is very good. Very minimal work needed for them, so that'll help me with the finish work.

Now, as for the tail fins, I haven't been happy with how they've been coming out. It isn't the mold, it's the actual prototype part. I'm getting a new one, so once that's in, I'll be redoing those. Until then, I'm not doing those. I'll try to take pics tomorrow, so you can see the other recast parts.

OK, I don't have a big update. I did a few of the wings, but I'm going to hold off doing these until the rest of the parts I'm working on are complete. The white version is of the Task 2 resin, which from feeling it out, feels just like a good quality plastic. I'll be using this for a different project, but I wanted to see how it worked. In any case, here you go. Clean up of some of the parts has also started.

post-582-0-39333500-1463277754_thumb.jpg

Awesome! I can't wait to have this together with the x-9 ghost and my other Yamato/Arcadia Macross plus stuff. I even ordered a painted Isamu's bike and Sharon Apple mainframe unit to go with these.

I still need to get the Sharon Apple. I've got some plans for the Ghost X-9. For this kit, I have the lower parts up to 19 done now, and I've been able to do them all off of the same mold, so it's worked great. I'm gonna start cleaning those parts soon, and begin on whatever patch work I need, and get those done. I do need to order the paint (just remembered. I'll be using an airbrush, as I have better control over that, as compared to a paint can, but I'll get one of those as well, just in case the difference is insignificant. I need to deepen the panel lines though, so those will go along with clean up. Man, I can't wait for this to be done either.

Ugh, I forgot to put this out there. If anyone wants one of the wings in the Task resin, I can make it in that for an extra $6. I have to charge that because this stuff is extremely pricey, significantly more than what I use. However, the stuff is really good. I can't do all of them in that, but I may be able to only get 7 or 8 done. If anyone is interested, send me a pm. I'm only doing the wing with that, as it's the only part that would really benefit from it.

As a side note, the regular resin is not bad, so don't think that. The only reason I'm putting this out there, is that if you want to put on the HMMs and all that on this kit, while the regular resin will last and hold it up, this stuff most definitely will, and if you have any concerns about the properties over a long period of time, I know first hand, that this stuff will hold its shape for years and years. I have one trial size of it, and I don't have any plans of using the rest for a long time, so I do need to use it up. I'd like to recoup that cost, and provide a higher quality part. No worries if nobody wants to pay extra. At least I can use it on a tiny project I'm working on, and just "experiment".

Count me in for the Task resin as well Jasonc, just let me know the payment details. If you like Paypal then I can make that happen today.

I have 7 at this point. Let me see what I have left after that, and then if there's any left, I'll send you a pm. I don't want to get too far ahead of myself.

Ok...sure hope you got enough, though.

I should have enough. I'll send you a pm with the info.

Also, for info on this for everyone, I did try to color cast it, and in using the orange dye in each cast, it seems to work just fine. It's not as strong of an orange as the regular resin, but as most are being painted anyway, it's negligible. It will help with blending in, in case of a scratch, but other than that, I'll send out orange ones to those that aren't getting them painted.

Parts are still coming along nicely. I was able to get 10 of the Task resin wings done, so they came out well. I also did two sets of the man body, and one set of the intake pieces. I wish I could afford to do the entire thing in this stuff. In any case, For those of you who ordered them. Thank you. You helped me to use all of it, instead of having it just sit in a bottle. You guys will be happy with the quality of it when it arrives.

As for an update on the intake pieces that I'm trying to finish, I only need make 4 more sets, and could not be better timing, as the mold is starting to wear out. The tail fin was reordered and arrived last week. I got some new sandpaper, cleaned it up (this is a high res version) and after some coats of primer, is ready for mold making. I will probably not get to that until sometime this weekend. I'll be doing a massive amount of overtime over the next 3 weekends, so it will limit my output, but I still work throughout the week and when I have time here on the weekends. With 25 orderes, 14 parts each (I believe), it's a lot of recasting, and i've been able to divide up multiple recasts into sections that will fit into the tank, so I'm working at a much better pace than the previous scale. I will have the ones who ordered unpainted ones only out next week.

No problem. It's been a few days since that last one. I haven't gotten as much done as I wanted to. I did prep the new tail fin piece, so I am now building the mold container for that, which half of it will be in tomorrow. I also had to remake new molds for the lower intake housing, as I'm at 20 recasts, and it's not coming out up to par anymore. One half of it came out beautifully, and looking really good. The other side starts tonight, and will finish tomorrow when the first half of the tail fin starts. I have about 3 sets of the nose section/main body done, and two done in Task. Those should be fine for about 20 or so recasts, but with a new can of mold release, I might be able to stretch it, as those are built to come out of the mold very simple.

Sorry if I ramble, part of these updates is to also document what I do here for future work. In any case, aside from that, I haven't done too many more recasts, except small parts. I can fit those in the tank with the molds I'm making, so for now and the next two or three days, just small parts. Even those might need to be re-molded soon.

Halfway through my 1/72 one but still need the black nose piece or a pic of it to recreate it. Liking it though. Displaying it with the 1/72 Ghost from the VF-0C and the 1/72 Ghost from the Bandai RVF-25 set.

Halfway through my 1/72 one but still need the black nose piece or a pic of it to recreate it. Liking it though. Displaying it with the 1/72 Ghost from the VF-0C and the 1/72 Ghost from the Bandai RVF-25 set.

You can have a look of it here, you can also rotate it in the 3D viewer. Or, if you have an order there, you can grab the part and add it to your current.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/ZKQ8XKCAG/black-nose-scale-1-72?optionId=56828949

I thought it would've show up by now. I'll send out another one tomorrow. I have a couple left over.

Ugh, sorry NZEOD, the post office satelight here by work sent it back to work here, where it sat in the main room, due to the fact that they don't take international shipping. It is going out today at lunch, so it's definitely going out today. Sorry for the delay.

As for an update, I'm still working on them, but for some of the molds, I have to redo a couple of them. I finished all the engine housing pieces, and have extras in case. The main body is about half way done, and the wings are in the same state. As for the turret, engine, camera, and tail piece, those have been taking awhile due to the onyx resin taking longer to set. Since those pieces will be painted anyways, I'm going to skip using the black and just go with the regular resin. It'll cut the cure time in half. As for the colored pieces, those will be for those that are building on their own, and whatever I have left of them will just go out as the painted ones finish.

So, what parts need new molds? The main body part is already degrading, so not too happy about that. They were supposed to last much longer, but maybe just some strange mix or too much moister in the rubber. I don't know. Along with that, the turret, and the wing hook, camera housing, and tail fin all need to be done. Those take time, but I can continue on the other parts, so it still goes on. Work this weekend slowed down a bit, as I had to take care of setting up my corporation and getting the capital needed for the endeavor. Lots of boring stuff, but aside from that, I'll have a pic today of what the progress looks like.

Thanks for the update mate! :) i have no complaints and its good to hear the project is still alive and kicking!

It SHALL be aliving and kicking until it's done. No options there, LOL.

Hehe! I should've said "progressing nicely" instead eh! ;)

It's all the same. I finish up the tail fin tonight to restart that. The beauty of using bulk medicine measuring cups is great. I get perfect amounts of resin to use every time, and the resin is always mixed equally.Thank you Amazon.

Tail fin recast have come out great. I'm really happy how it looks. The last master I had was prepped pretty bad, so I was able to get another one, and I made sure it was done in a way to keep the panel and flaps looking clear and distinct. I'll be working as much as possible to get these finished as well as the rest of the rear section. I'm also starting new molds of the small pieces. Well, they're 50% done already with one half the mold done. Work continues. I won't have pictures for awhile, as I'm cleaning up the house for a number of people staying over for AX2016 and 4th of July. Nevertheless, I'm cranking em out as much as I can after a 10 hour work day.

Keep up the good work mate! And thanks for the update! :)

Thank you for the updates Jasonc, it is never easy to make that much kit in a row!

Thanks, guys. I hate having projects sit like this, but I'll start prepping parts as well as recasting this weekend (sanding, filling, sanding, priming, etc.). I'm waiting on a new clear resin as well. the old stuff is industrial grade, and really strong, but extremely hard to work with, and takes way too long to set. I have a few of them done, but as I'm preparing new 1 part molds for them, they should look a bit better coming out of the mold. In any case, I've only done 3 of them with the old clear stuff, but I may save that for larger pieces for something else. The struggle continues, LOL.

Oh, I'll submit pics of the tail fin tonight.

Edited by Jasonc