M+ Drone Fighter 3D Printing Project Request

charger69

Sweet effin' success. the 1/72 wing came out as good as I can get it, which means some very clear lines, all is pretty damn straight, and it's all solid. While it needs cleanup due to the bubble release holes, I'm very happy with it. I'm going to replicate this for the 1/60, as I'm extremely happy with it. While this particular one has some different color in it, it's only from some of the clay, and the leftover from being the first cast. With this, 1/72s are in production mode.

post-582-0-56866400-1445999492_thumb.jpg

There's two parts on it that need an easy fix, but I'll be spitting these out shortly. For those that got 1/72 scales, I hope to start getting them out this weekend. If not beginning of next weekend. Between this, I just got replacement cartridges for the printer, so decals will be ready to go. I know it's a lot of updates, but I'd hate being in the dark, so I'd rather have everyone here know that it's ongoing. BTW, I got a trial size of another resin that's less expensive, but much better quality. It's not expensive because it's a 1:5 ratio by weight resin, so it's a pain to get it right, but I'm looking at using this stuff for the next project if it goes well with a trial of this one. I didn't realize ease of measuring resin was a premium. Go figure.

At the risk of becoming a pariah in the community here, I am really disappointed with that result. I know you guys are doing your best and I mean no offense, but I have asked Xigfrid for a refund twice now based on the results here. Jasonc, if you want to hear more about how I think you can improve you are welcome to PM me, I will only give you honest advice and objective thoughts based on my own experience.

Maybe you didn't read through what I wrote, but these are first casts, which usually isn't one I would send out. I know what issues, but maybe you're expecting a toy from these, and that's not what these are. No worries. As stated, I know what needs to be done, so I don't need the help. I've been doing this long enough.

Like any DIY kit of course the parts are not going to have the same level of finish or refinement as a factory made kit which a lot of the time you still need to sand and use filler to perfect. So for those who are buying the drone as parts un-assembled then this is going to be fact. Hence the reason why im buying mine completed! :p The parts Jason has shown us so far look very good and im impressed and more than satisfied with the whole project overall. B))

At the risk of becoming a pariah in the community here, I am really disappointed with that result. I know you guys are doing your best and I mean no offense, but I have asked Xigfrid for a refund twice now based on the results here. Jasonc, if you want to hear more about how I think you can improve you are welcome to PM me, I will only give you honest advice and objective thoughts based on my own experience.

• 2 weeks later...

Final parts got delayed a bit due to some shortages on supplies and tools. I am now working on some clear parts, and redoing two small molds. I thought they'd be done awhile ago, but I wasn't happy with one of the molds once the parts came out. I bought a 30 strenght resin, platinum based rubber, and it's extremely durable. It takes 6 hours to cure (more like 8 with the cold weather), but things are looking great. clear parts will be looked at today. The ultra clear resin I have is a bit odd. Part B is almost super gel like and doesn't poor well. However, the instructions say that if that happens, to warm the bottle, so it seems like I'll be doing that to get this stuff to poor properly. It's also mixed strictly by weight, so I got a digital gram scale for that specific use. Testing of the material will be today when I pull it out of the pressure tank. Other than that, pictures of the decals will be up tonight. As I said, there isn't a lot of decals known for this thing, so I added some extras, in case anyone wants to go full on detail with it. Sorry for the delay guys, Between what I just described, and a lot of things like a newborn niece and nephew within one week, things are a little hectic. I should have the first 1/72 out this weekend for certain. I'm just waiting on one other half of a mold to finish.

Thanks guys. I must say, I'm quite happy with the kit itself. It's a solid piece. In all of this, I've managed to find some great recast products as well. Some that are superior to what I was using in the past, and some new methods for some workaround parts that weren't recast friendly. the decalse came out good, but as I needed to decide on white backing vs. clear (no printer to do white color), I did have to go with white backing due to the UN Spacy kite. they'll need to be carefully cut, but in the long run, it was the best decision. I do like the quality of the decal paper, and waiting on clear paper would take longer and cost more, which at this point, I'm spening my own money now on materials.

A manual pad press isn't that expensive (something like $400). The expensive part is making the metal stencils. I wonder if a glowforge would have enough resolution to engrave them?

Edited by anime52k8

OK, 3rd time's the charm with this one. It set poorly and didn't get a good impression of the part. Nevertheless, I'll give this a run tonight and see how it goes.

Sorry if the pic is extremely large. I'm taking this and uploading it on my phone from work.

post-582-0-49968500-1448044844_thumb.jpg