M+ Drone Fighter 3D Printing Project Request

charger69

Sharon Intel, all of the parts are being done at the same time. I try to update the progress overall, as it will apply to everyone who has painted versions ordered. I'm wrapping up working on the main bodies, and they are starting to be cleaned and have the inside intake painted in a matte white. After they dry, they are being masked off and getting ready for the body primer, and then painting (barring no dents, air pockets, or anything that needs fixing). I'm hoping to get pics up tomorrow. I'm also on hold with paint, since the paint was backordered and is now supposedly on it's way. I'm expecting it in 4-6 days, but I'm still cleaning up parts, prepping them for paint.

I love Tamiya paint, because it sprays light, is easy to sand, dries fast, and is very forgiving. However, it's those same qualities that a darker primer can work against it. The intake insides are definitely going to stay that white, and I'm rechecking the rear engine housing to see what I missed. so far so good.

• 2 weeks later...

Been a little slow with the colder weather and the latest rain, but great for sanding. I've started on more main bodies and the tail fins. Sanding, redoing panel lines, and then filling where the recast may have missed, is what I'm focusing on now, until the weather permits better painting weather.

Nice catch a 11B! i don't know exactly at what point of the progress Jasonc is, probably he is working on large batches, including yours.

Thank you! Been a many year long hunt that finally ended.

Sharon Intel, all of the parts are being done at the same time. I try to update the progress overall, as it will apply to everyone who has painted versions ordered. I'm wrapping up working on the main bodies, and they are starting to be cleaned and have the inside intake painted in a matte white. After they dry, they are being masked off and getting ready for the body primer, and then painting (barring no dents, air pockets, or anything that needs fixing). I'm hoping to get pics up tomorrow. I'm also on hold with paint, since the paint was backordered and is now supposedly on it's way. I'm expecting it in 4-6 days, but I'm still cleaning up parts, prepping them for paint.

I can only imagine the response you ppl got, thanks for the updates and pic posting Jasonc. I'm too glad to be a little drop in this flood ;)

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a little while since the last update, but some parts are taking longer making sure the parts are clear and free of air holes and all that. Nevertheless, most of it is primered and the final touches to that part are being done. I still have some clear parts to recast because they just aren't coming out like I want them, but I just made two molds to do these twice as fast, and I can do those while painting, so that's a good thing. The bad thing is the cold weather, which is slowing the process a little, but not as bad as it can be.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a picture on my cell phone of the work so far, but as I'm in the middle of cleaning up for New Year, I had to pack up to another room, and so the stuff isn't spread out. Nevertheless, each coat of the white primer is letting me repair little flaws. I have one I'm trying to finish up for the main body, so it'll give me a clue as to how this primer is with the paint. right now, I'm noticing the white primer is a bit heavy, so putting an 800 grit sandpaper to it seems to smooth it out great. I just sanded all the white parts painted. Those are about ready for first coat of orange paint.

11 hours ago, Sharon Intel said:

Hello all! Thank you for the updates and hard work. Lots of details in the finishing process = love 

Happy New Year MW! I'm putting the finishing touches on the new display setup. I'll post 'em to ring in the new year!

Nice. My goal next year is to contact my kitchen contractor, and have him build my custom display cases for the collection room, and get some furniture for the living room, LOL. Right now, the den is furnished, but need another set of furniture, as well as a new dining room set. But displays are coming up soon.

• 2 weeks later...

The assembly line process has hurried up a bit, and while I'm still taking time to try and make all these look good, once they're cleaned up, the paint process is going smoothly. I just finished literally all the cameral housing parts in one fell swoop. Now I'll examine each one tonight, clean and repaint what I need.

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 7:47 PM, Loop said:

Thanks for the update Jason!

You're welcome. As of today, all top camera housings are done, and the engine housings are just over half done. I've also started on the main bodies, and those are getting primed (at least the ones that are already done). Some need some fill, but that's not a problem. Some of the turrets were a bit soft, so I'm redoing about 8 of them in Task 2. Aside from that, it's still moving along. Sorry no pictures. My camera glass is broken, so they don't even come out well. I'll be getting a lens fix next week when I take it in, so I'll have some then. As for the wing section, I have 15 done, so most are finished. I'll need to make one more mold for those, and once that's done, those will be getting cleaned and primed after the bodies are done. It is progressing fast though. I'm happy to say that I've been able to free up some time after work to do these with much more fervor than before. I'm trying to get them out guys, and they'll be coming out soon. 

• 1 month later...

OK, so far, I'm starting to put together some of the kits for some of you. They still need a few parts painted and whatnot, but They're looking pretty good. A few little touch ups here and there, but overall, they're coming along. I'm working on the tail pieces still, and the main body pieces need more sanding than I had hoped for. It's due to the original pieces being over sprayed with primer from the guy who 3d printed them. It's a lot of internal sanding, but it's not a deal breaker. Most of them are already undergoing the orange paint, so since I came back from two mini vacations in a row, the process is moving pretty fast.

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 0:25 AM, spanner said:

hehe! I totally forgot about this thing! Though I do have a 5 minute memory at times.. thanks for the update Jason! If you can post up some pics that would be great! no hassles though..

:)

I really need to get on it. I'll snap one of the current workspace and some of the finished parts today. I just got in 10 cans of orange for more parts. I'm not a fan of spray paint, but when doing this many kits at one time, ease of use and all.

I just did a paint test with the matte color, and it looks amazing. Soon I'll start mass making the decals while I still have ink, and will get those on the paper as well. The problem with me matte painting is that I'm not putting on the decals, so it'd require a clear, then another matte coat to seal it. Because of that, I may just leave the parts in the gloss orange, but for those of you checking up on this, I'd highly suggest using a matte clear once the decals are done. I'm using Mr. Hobby clear matt, and trust me when I say that Mr Hobby is the way to go for this particular paint. It comes out very fine, and does an amazing job covering in the perfect matte coat you'd want. It feels like a toy piece when using this stuff because it's so fine.

• 3 weeks later...