M+ Drone Fighter 3D Printing Project Request

charger69

I'm sorry man, but I'm gonna have to back out of this project. Its been a year since it started and honestly I don't think its gonna be done this year. I'm usually patient with projects but this has not gone as I expected. Allotted funds could have been gone elsewhere.

I would like to get my full refund for my three kits (2 of which are painted). I paid all three in full with shipping and painting fees etc.

Thanks for the update Jason! We appreciate all of your efforts!

ditto!

Hey Jason, I'll see how my finances go and if I can stretch it I will buy one of the completed/painted kits that Kicker wants to cancel.. I cant jump on it right at this very moment as im a little broke after my Euro trip but once you have the kits closer to finished I should be good to go! So yeah let me know what you think. Thanks mate!

Either way, the molds will last for an additional one, so no worries, Spanner. As for some good news, I finally have enough parts done to start sending out the unpainted versions. Those will start going out this week, well, tonight they'll be wrapped up and sent out tomorrow. For those who ordered unpainted kits, I will update you with tracking numbers as soon as your kit is boxed and ready to drop off at the post office.

Prep work will start on the painted versions next week. I'll be doing some minor patch work on some tonight and tomorrow, but the bulk begins next week. Paints have been ordered and the airbrush is clean and ready. I still have parts to recast, but because it's mostly small parts (not counting the wing, which I'm only halfway done recasting), I can start on the big items. and getting those put together with the smaller parts.

I would post the clapping gif for that update Jason but... Anyways, good news to hear that this is getting to be closer to being finished. ^_^

It's weird thinking about my 1/60 Mac+ collection finally looking complete finally.

Edited by Loop

I would post the clapping gif for that update Jason but... Anyways, good news to hear that this is getting to be closer to being finished. ^_^

It's weird thinking about my 1/60 Mac+ collection finally looking complete finally.

I fitted one together last night while packing the unpainted ones up. They look damn cool. I can't wait to finally get to put one together for myself.

Small update today. parts are still coming out, and I'm focusing on prepping the finished ones for painting. I'll be recasting more of the wings, tail fins, and the clear parts as needed, but I may have a better way of making clear parts for , so until I see if it works reasonably, those are getting made as well. Other than that, They're getting closer.

All sounds good Jason! Thanks for the update!

Have to say im really starting to look forward to the final product! :)

I am actively prepping parts for paint, so I'm actually doing that as I type.

I started painting a couple pieces over the weekend that were ready for paint. I'm not liking the color of the paint, as it seems to be more of a dull, cooler orange than I had expected. I have 3 new bottles coming in that I know are much better, just need to put them in a larger bottle with a slight addition of red. The alternative is getting the Tamiya orange in the can, which is the color I'd like to go for. I may just do that though, and if anyone needs to do repairs or wants to customize more, they'll easily be able to find the color. As for the smaller parts that require different colors, those will be getting the airbrush, as I can get a little technical in making sure those don't get overdone, or too heavy.

As for the cleaup, this is where the time is all going. These are decent pieces, but they still require some patch work, some evening out with other sides, and so on. I'm gonna do my absolute best to make these look perfect, but at some point, I need to really draw a line, or I will never get these done. It is a one man operation. There's already been some people who can't wait, so I'm working on those first and as fast as possible without sacrificing my work, rest, and family time. To those who can wait, I appreciate it. Your waiting will not go in vain. I will have the process of cleanup and painting all these perfected, and it should be a nice piece for everyone. Of course, as with other large projects, I'm not going to have the time to weather these, and he decals will be all you. If I could, I'd give each one of these the personal touch of my own projects, which take awhile, but I hope that doesn't worry you. These will look great with all the other Macross Plus items that preceded it in the toy lines.

Yeah, thank you everyone for the patience. If it can helps, I believe this kit is going to be a Macross Plus beauty. In a way, I tend to prefer the Training drone lines over the Ghost-X9...The curves reminds me the Boeing 747 and seems almost pacifist where the Ghost is much aggressive.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll make it quick. I'm still painting and recasting. I'm also getting someone else to help with the painting for the weekend, but after that, I'll be back to myself doing it. New clear resin that's easy to recast came in today, so that will be the stuff I use.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll post a pic soon of some of the painting. I got some of the work back yesterday from the other guy, and it's OK. Not great, but it's mass production painting, so it's a bit difficult to get that personal touch to it. I will fix some of the rough spots. I'm also going to switch to a white primer instead of grey. The grey requires more orange paint to get the right color, but I have just enough to finish the ones I'm doing now.

No problem. I wish I could be faster with it. I'm getting pretty good at getting all the trouble areas of the recasts, so the ones that are going onto the assembly line are going to be good. Today I find out how the new clear resin is, so fingers crossed that it's beautiful and clear.

Well, the good news is, the clear resin is actually quite clear. It's much easier to work with, and although it takes 16 hours to cure, it's makes it look about as good as can be. Well, it's only as clear as the original part, so it's not going to be like looking through glass, but it's probably better that way.

Here is one picture of the clear resin, and one picture of a painted kids in progress. As you can see in the clear resin, it does still need a little bit of Polish and clean up comma but when you put it inside the kit it looks good.

post-582-0-36624200-1470697485_thumb.jpg

post-582-0-04139500-1470697727_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jasonc

I can't get them perfect, but for what they are, they are pretty good. That clear part on the right was a test piece, and so the one made after was much cleaner and full. I'm starting to assemble a couple of the painted parts already, so two are almost done, minus decals. After that, major assembly line work. BTW, I ended up getting a gallon of Task 2 resin for really cheap, so while I can't redo all the parts, I will finish what I have (really the smaller fragile parts) with it. I don't want some of these parts just easily breaking, like they can. Yes, it's a kit, but it's supposed to be a semi functional kit, so I want some of those moving parts solid.

Unfortunately for the project, I didn't do any work over the weekend. I got the material, but I spent 4 days at a seminar, so I really had zero time. Work begins again today after work.

I got a few more peices done for the first two to be sent out. Trim colors are being put on, and once the main pieces are done, those will be sent out. Afterwards, I'll have the time to really get to working on these as intended. I have created some new molds, and with some new parts being done in the Task 2, I'm extremely excited about getting back into it. Sorry for the not so great picture My phone is almost dead.

post-582-0-78128400-1471834821_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jasonc

Update: I got two done that were "emergency" ones, so now I am working on the rest of them. I was able to open up the new Task 2 gallon for some of the more fragile parts. So far, they're sturdy just like a good quality plastic. As of now, I'm prepping all of one piece now. That will be worked on, cleaned up, then painted. Then, it's off to the next piece. This will let me know exactly how far I am along with the entire project. Plus, I can inspect any parts and see if they are just not up to par.

I know it's been awhile, but maybe my only drawback, is that when it comes to the pieces, I can be a bit of a perfectionist. At least the parts are easy to work on now, and don't take too much work. I also got a new pressure tank that's working like a champ, so the parts are coming out with minimal air bubbles, if any at all. This week will be a bit of a clean up process from the two I was working on. Time for a reset, and to get this done properly.

Update: I got two done that were "emergency" ones, so now I am working on the rest of them. I was able to open up the new Task 2 gallon for some of the more fragile parts. So far, they're sturdy just like a good quality plastic. As of now, I'm prepping all of one piece now. That will be worked on, cleaned up, then painted. Then, it's off to the next piece. This will let me know exactly how far I am along with the entire project. Plus, I can inspect any parts and see if they are just not up to par.

I know it's been awhile, but maybe my only drawback, is that when it comes to the pieces, I can be a bit of a perfectionist. At least the parts are easy to work on now, and don't take too much work. I also got a new pressure tank that's working like a champ, so the parts are coming out with minimal air bubbles, if any at all. This week will be a bit of a clean up process from the two I was working on. Time for a reset, and to get this done properly.

B)):good:

So far, it's all been sanding, putty, sanding, putty, and on and on. Luckily they aren't taking forever to do, but I'm trying to get all these pieces right the first time, so I don't have to do too much after the first coat of primer. I have a few items I'm still recasting, as I wasn't happy with all of them, but multitasking between that and the prep work isn't an issue.