M+ Drone Fighter 3D Printing Project Request

charger69

Yes, the originals are being done (were being done) on a Form 1 3D printer. This latest piece was done through Shapeways' FUD printer, which I couldn't tell you the printer model. As spanner76 has correctly stated, the copies will be done in a Smoothcast 305 resin. It's got some flexibility in its properties, and is still pretty solid as far as resin goes. There are other resins that have ABS properties, but you'd be looking at a kit that cost at least double.

are you still working on the 1:72 stuff? Or have you started in the 1:60 stuff? no hassles only curious. :)

I have recasted a few 1/60 parts in the meantime, to try and get ahead, so I am working on those parts in the meantime. I'm gonna get a couple trial sizes of the new rubber mold, and use that to make new molds for both wings, including the 1/60 version. I started on the box for this particular mold again, and it should work very well.

were there any issues with any of the 1:60 parts or you just continuing the process?

Not that I'm aware of. I haven't done a test of a couple of pieces, but once I get to those, I'll address those as needed. I got some more moldstar 30, so I can quickly make what I need. So far, I think it's the size of the 1/60 parts that makes them come out better. More gaps between spaces, less smaller spaces for air to get trapped, etc.

Made the mold for the new 1/72 wing, and it came out better than expected. Very little work needed on the new one, and I was able to preserve the panel lines very well. I start tomorrow on them, and will try to crank them out as fast as possible. I'll try to get a pic of a sample tomorrow.

awesome! a good thing to know! very encouraging! :)

It is. I'm gonna repeat the exact process for the 1/60 wing. I did a couple today. As it's cold, I had to wait for curing longer than I wanted to. They are coming out, so at least that's a good thing. I can start packaging these up now, as each of these gets done.

We would love few pictures of these! Additionally do you have some pictures of the stickers?

This is something I am trying to figure out how to source locally, and I am wondering if I can print it myself on some quality sheets or this is something that must be professionally made?

We would love few pictures of these! Additionally do you have some pictures of the stickers?

This is something I am trying to figure out how to source locally, and I am wondering if I can print it myself on some quality sheets or this is something that must be professionally made?

I put them on one of the pages prior, maybe two back, but I'll get them up again today. I think I had to tweak them a bit, as two of the kites that were on the decals just don't fit anything for either scale. Most of it is just fluff decals, to give it some realism, but the kite symbols are all I'm aware of this thing having.

I put them on one of the pages prior, maybe two back.

Yep, I remember them, I was curious to see which paper (white/transparent) and brand you used.

Might be cool to put on similar decals to what predator or firebee drones have.

I searched for the predator's and also for the reaper's ones. I saw reviews of the 1/72 models and they had very few to none distinctive decals as drones such as electronics trap markings, batteries etc.

OK, here's two pictures of the recast drone, and one of the decals. They aren't the greatest photos, but it's evening, and lighting isn't ideal. Anyways, the parts look pretty damn good, the decals are there.

post-582-0-40149100-1453954693_thumb.jpg

post-582-0-33926100-1453954708_thumb.jpg

post-582-0-98069700-1453954725_thumb.jpg

Thanks. They're coming along well. Trying to get two a day done on my work days. If you'll notice, there are two spots that need a bit of cleanup. at the base of the tail fins where it meets the missile hardpoint. There was some clay leftover from the first pour. While I tried to get it all out, I did have to keep the original part in. Once they come out, they never get put back in the way they originally get poured. That said, I'm happy with how they came out. They don't need too much cleanup. Anyways, I'm not gonna post for several days, cause I just need to get to work and wrap the 1/72s up so I can continue the 1/60s and start painting those.

Edited by Jasonc

Sorry if it's been asked before but are you taking orders for the 1/60's?

I doubt I'll be taking any more, especially the ones that request painting. I can send you a pm when all those are done, and if there are any left after, or the molds are still viable, I might be able to see at that time. Can't promise anything though.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, starting to box up 1/72 drones for mail out. Wings are still giving me trouble, but it's due to the 1/72 just being a lot smaller and thinner than the 1/60. Nevertheless, most are done and I have a ton of parts to sort through. Whatever I'm lacking will be done over the weekend. Most of the 1/72s will go out this weekend, the rest will be during the week as I finish them off. Then onto 1/60s. I'm going to go one piece at a time or these, so that they can get assembly line painted and done consistently.

The cold weather was wreaking a little havoc on getting some parts done, and they were taking forever to cure, but with 80+ degree weather lately, it's been perfect. Can't wait to get these wrapped up and onto the 1/60 kit. I know it's going to be another beast to do those, especially with a larger order for those and painting, but they should be fun. I have all the tools set up for painting and whatever else is needed.

im kinda pressed for space and was thinking of possible places to display the drone which im thinking will look best flying above both the 19 & 21.. might have to swap out the display stands for the shorter ones in order to make room. Really looking forward to getting this thing! B))

This has been an amazing project. Thanks for all the updates and pics. Great works take time, looking forward giving my yf-19 & yf-21 a new target :Dnow if I could track down a vf-11b for a sane price.

hehe! yeah best of luck with that! :p:lol: