Armored core

Hey, it occured to me that we have a lot of AC players around, and no thread for it, so I started one.

Anyway, I've been playing AC: Silent Line, and it's really hard. I had to start from scratch, because I never got 3, and I've never seen it for rental anywhere.

Right now, I've been concentrating on making Destroids. Although the Defender and Tomahawk are hard to recreate, and pretty weak, my rendition of the Phalanx came out great! The storm of missiles you can unleash is incredible! I'll post my specs, and you guys can re-create it and make any improvements you can think of.

Anyway, I hope that within this thread, people will speculate, discuss, and tell their AC stories.

I have yet to start playing Silent Line. AC3 was a huge disapointment for me, simply because it felt like a graphical upgrade, with no new parts at all. In fact.... most of the older parts were missing. Specially annoying was the sheer lack of torso parts. :angry:

As far as AC goes... I really hope From Software goes original for AC4... the game engine is seriously getting boring. Its about time they added wing backpacks! <_<

I have yet to start playing Silent Line. AC3 was a huge disapointment for me, simply because it felt like a graphical upgrade, with no new parts at all. In fact.... most of the older parts were missing. Specially annoying was the sheer lack of torso parts. :angry:

As far as AC goes... I really hope From Software goes original for AC4... the game engine is seriously getting boring. Its about time they added wing backpacks! <_<

Silent line is a little short on torsos, too.

One complain't I've had since i've been playing, is the fact that a lot of cores have that MG on the front, but it's decoration only.

I've played Silent Line. It's a great game. However, I used GameShark Codes to beat the game and get all the parts. I'm obsessed in collecting all parts for my 3 mechas. :p

I give all the PS1 and PS2 Armored Core games 5 out of 5 stars! B)

You guys remember this image I posted once? I got the idea form Armored Core 2: A New Age...

post-26-1061903914_thumb.jpg

I have AC3 and I liked it because the graphics are great and the gameplay is nice, but I hated the control scheme.

The clunky controlls got me killed many a time.

If they made the controls different or at least fully customizeable, I'd be very happy.

Vostok 7

Silent Line seems really light on parts at first (unless you're bringing over a lof of parts from an AC3 save file), but there's actaully TONS of parts in that game!

After you've played through a few levels (I want to say it's 6 or 7), you get a mail saying some ban has been lifted or something, and there's more parts available. And all of a sudden there's 5 times more parts to buy in the shop!

Plus there's TONS of secret parts to get by playing the levels. All those parts are new for Silent Line. But a lot of them are really hard to get...

I've yet to play AC3 and since I'm going to be VERY busy next semester I'll probably just hold out till they make an AC4.

In AC2 I've always been partial to the heavy mechs, my main mech is this heavily armed monster that has as much firepower as Buster, Lepard, and Heavy Arms Gundams. It's a bit short on ammo, but I've got it loaded with a grenade lancher and gatling gun on the back, a heavy saber that can fire energy blasts, and the Karwasawa(sp?) rifle. I have it built out of a Zio Matrix heavy torso, and arms, and a ZM head, the legs are Emuraude(sp?) heavy humanoid legs.

My biggest gripes with AC is the conrols, I'd like to be able to use BOTH sticks ala SOCOM, and that the mech rotates to slow.

I have AC3 and yet to play it. I also got AC2:AnotherAge at the same time recently and I'm working on that first.

Finally, freaking analog control instead of the thumb blistering digital. It's more of a breeze to get around no complaints here. I did play a little bit of AC3. Same analog control, another plus for me :D.

My half-assed AC stats :lol:

AC2 mecha: Outlaw7

Color Scheme: Black/Khaki

Size: Heavy

can't seem to remember the rest, Thus being half-assed. :p

~G25

Edited by gerwalk25

One thing I don't understand though. Ppl raved at how you could have 2 ACs at the same time this time around (in AC3) but I remember that in AC2 you could do the same thing. :huh:

As far as ACs go.. I like to go medium. I find heavy mechs to be too slow, and light mechs to be too weak. I usually go with beam weaponry and missile back weapons. Blades have priority over back weapons for me... so I usually have wave blades instead of back weapons... unless I can use an over weight AC.

Well, I've been playing AC since "master of the arena," and I have no complaints yet.

It doesn't control like halo, or robotech, or ZOE...but if I wanted control like that I would play those games. In a huge mech like in AC I appreciate the realism of slow movement and somewhat awkward control. The challenge for me is always to approach the situation intelligently so as to minimise those problems.

If I wanted to build a light mech and run around guns blazing I guess it would lessen my fun, but as it is...like I said no complaints.

I also thought the parts list was a bit sparce for Silent Line, but after you unlock the rest of the garage and start earning secret parts it isn't too bad.

And to all the veteran ACers out there: why is it that most AC "aces" seem to use medium legs and energy rifles? the only advantage I have ever seen with energy rifles is that they don't cost you anything to rearm, but the tremendous cost in energy is a huge problem when I am circle-strafing/boosting around a nimble foe.

And medium legs (without the super-cheap OP-I, which I never ever use) liekwise make no sence.

The AC setup I use on virtually every mission (and most of the low-rankers in the arena): quad legs, chain gun, extra ammo, light bazooka, flamethrower. It always seems like the best of all worlds to me, and fits my playing style perfectly.

Is it just that I have a unique playing style, or that I lake the skills to bring out the best of med. humanoid legs? Seriously.

In closing, either you like AC or you don't. I do. I am suprised that some former fans are now renouncing their love of AC. I may be alone here, but I rahter like the lack of real "evolution" in the series. For some games evolution works (Gran Tourismo, Super Mario), for some it doesn't (Smash Bros, Mario Cart)

I still like AC... its the best most reliable mech game out there. As far as evolution goes.... I don't want something out of the window... I want something that ppl will stop and say "Damn... this is a cool new feature!", something that will set it apart from the many sequels and add ons.

As far as Aces go... I guess its just a matter of preference. Energy weapons are better because you won't have to worry about running out of Ammo. With a decent rifle... you can still strafe and what not without worrying about consumption. I guess it all comes down to how well you can use the background for your advantage.

As for the medium legs.... beats me. I use them just as a matter of preference. I don't really like quad legs or heavy legs, unless I change my weapons load out and require the use of them.

But then again... I don't consider myself an Ace. :lol:

Another thing, anyone know how they determine your AC rank (not mission rank, but the rank "title" they gine on the page with your AC's statistics)?

It seems to be based solely on speed, AP, and damage/shot.

A huge mech with nothing but a linear back cannon and a blade will get a GREAT rank...and in my hands it would have a hard time beating any mission, let alone an arena opponent.

My mech always has a FAIR rank. But it has decent move/rising ability, not too shabby AP, great damage/time, and has staying power/ammo.

Why must my designs (which are actually quite good and very practical) get shoddy rank while a bone-head mech gets better.

It is meaningless in the game, but it's a pride thing.

Long live quad-legs!

Another thing, anyone know how they determine your AC rank (not mission rank, but the rank "title" they gine on the page with your AC's statistics)?

It seems to be based solely on speed, AP, and damage/shot.

A huge mech with nothing but a linear back cannon and a blade will get a GREAT rank...and in my hands it would have a hard time beating any mission, let alone an arena opponent.

My mech always has a FAIR rank. But it has decent move/rising ability, not too shabby AP, great damage/time, and has staying power/ammo.

Why must my designs (which are actually quite good and very practical) get shoddy rank while a bone-head mech gets better.

It is meaningless in the game, but it's a pride thing.

Long live quad-legs!

Bah! As long as you can survive every mission without having to pay much for damage... I say screw the ranking system! :lol:

AC silent line is an ok game.

I really hated how they nerfed quad legs in AC3 by making them walk instead of glide like they did in ac2. You could make some pretty cool looking tanks in AC2 with hover legs :p

Main issue I have is the control interface. Sure it is operable, allowing one to do all the basic functions but it is too clunky. They should make use of the darn analog pads that are there for once. Make it a first person style control where the left analog is movement and the right is turning. Then convert the flippin shift buttons to weaponsfire.

after that increase the turn speed of the ac's. If this were done it would certainly be more fun :p

And for those of you who think the control interface is fine ..

Try boost-strafing while firing a machine gun in each hand while turning AND looking up and down to track a mobile target :p

i've played since AC2 and i make a neo HeavyArms for each one...except for a few differences...

1) it's red instead of the other colors

2) it carries a lot more guns

3) in AC3:SL no missles on it this time

for this new one it's called HeavyArmsIV.

(so i like the gatlings, who cares?)

Okay...as promised stopped on my way home and grabbed a copy of "Silent Line"...hauled my mechs from AC3 into it and...10 missions later (so far) TOO COOL...question - if you didn't import data from the last game are the Karasawa and Moonlight available at some point? I imported my AC3 game (in which I already had 'em) so I dunno but am curious...It wouldn't be Armored Core without them...

*edit - spelling and added stuff* - Manji

Edited by Manji

In a huge mech like in AC I appreciate the realism of slow movement and somewhat awkward control.

And to all the veteran ACers out there: why is it that most AC "aces" seem to use medium legs and energy rifles? the only advantage I have ever seen with energy rifles is that they don't cost you anything to rearm, but the tremendous cost in energy is a huge problem when I am circle-strafing/boosting around a nimble foe.

The "realism" in Armored Core is nice but eversince I first saw this game on PS1 I thought I found a game where I could dance around like a Gundam. Yeah I could do that in ZOE but it's no where as deep as Armored Core.

As for the laser rifle, I like the Karwasawa rifle in Armored Core 2 because it packs as much firepower as the grenade launcher, and with the radiator and generator I have it's drain is almost negligeble.

How about some of us post some of our AC designs.

Describe its role (mission, arena, both, or specialized)

Describe how you use it, your tactics.

Then some of the rest of us can give 'em a shot and we can post our findings here. Could be a good way for some of us to fine-tune our ACs, or get ideas on how to get more bang for the buck.

Then some of the rest of us can give 'em a shot and we can post our findings here.  Could be a good way for some of us to fine-tune our ACs, or get ideas on how to get more bang for the buck.

Sounds good... but gee.... I would have to get back in AC now. :lol:

*rumages around, looking for PS2 memory card* :p

Edited by Abombz!!

Then some of the rest of us can give 'em a shot and we can post our findings here. Could be a good way for some of us to fine-tune our ACs, or get ideas on how to get more bang for the buck.

Well I don't own the game, I just borrowed it for a long ass time but I still have the memory card data so I can't post a pic of my main unit, but heres a description of it. It's grade is Excellent

I built Tallgeese Kai for both area and missions, my usual armaments are the Karwasawa rifle, a heavy chain gun, a grenade launcher, and a heavy beam saber. My basic tactic with this thing is getting up close and personal with it really and even if it's heavy it's still pretty fast. For arena fights sometimes I'll swap the arms for grenade launcher arms. When I beat the No. 1 guy I had it equiped with grenade launcher arms, and two back granade launchers.

To encourage involvment I will go first. And I will try to be exhaustive.

Head: CHD-09-OXI (light weight, good radar and mapping)

Core: MCM-MX/002 (good EO, good weight, good lookin')

Arms: CAM-11-SOL (basic medium arms)

Legs: CLF-D2-ROG (best quads, good weight and move, look nice)

Boost: MBT-OX/E9 (good performance for the drain)

FCS: PLS-SRA02 (horizontal for ease of strafing)

Gen: KGP-ZSV (good performance for the weight)

Rad: RMR-ICICLE (works for me)

Ext: CSS-IA-64S (switch this for a light anti-missle if situation calls for it)

BackR: MM-AD/20

BackL: CWC-CNG-300 (I owe the game to this beauty...couldn't live w/o)

ArmR: CWG-B2-25 (there is a better light bazooka, but this one looks best)

ArmL: KWG-FTL450 (great range and damage, I FAR prefer this to a blade)

This AC is my basic "do-it-all" design. As I posted earlier I used this to beat the majority of the missions in Silent Line and some early arena opponents (I use a totally different AC for most of the arena). Some of the parts I listed aren't available initially but most of them are, and the ones that aren't were not too hard to get.

WHY...:

...NO BLADE? First off I don't like the forward rush that accompanies blade use. Secondly I find the damage and heat inflicted by the flamer is quite respectable. Thridly, I am garbage with a blade.

...QUADS? Good stability, the ability to fire back weapons while on the move, and they look the best.

...NO ENERGY WEAPON? Quad legs use a lot of energy. So does boosting. So does my EO part. I don't have the extra weight capacity to equip a generator that could give me enough power for all these essential tasks plus an energy rifle.

...NO MISSLES? In most missions I find that missles miss more often than not. Either the enemy is too agile, or the missles hit the ceiling/wall/pillar. Plus they are too slow against weak enemies. An MT might get an extra shot or two off while the missle is in the air (not a problem with the Chain Gun or Bazooka).

...NO INSIDES? I find the added weapon to cycle through during heavy combat more of a hindrence than any advantage a floating mine or some such device will give me. However on some missions and against some enemies a missle decoy might find its way into my AC.

How I use it:

I don't do a lot of jumping or boosting. Slow and methodical is how I use this AC. The back Chain Gun is invaluable, and I don't know of a better anti-aircraft weapon in the game. It's accurate and does a lot of damage (and heat). In really long/enemy intensive missions I will use the bazooka initially, to save the CGs ammo. The flamethrower is for destroying non-enemies (boxes, doorlocks, etc), and for quickly dispatching MTs that sit in doorways waiting for you to open them.

Use the EOs. I usually deploy them before entering rooms with either multiple enemies or one really nasty enemy (depending on my energy situation). After a few seconds/shots I usually turn them off to insure I have enrgy to boost. On at least one mission I remember the fact that they hover above you proved of great help. Think of a periscope that can kill.

Against a particularly hard target (i.e. enemy AC or boss-type) I find that circle-strafing with the Chain Gun and the EO deployed (watching out not to boost too much. thereby limiting the use of my EOs) works wonders. Not much can put up with the Chain Guns and the EOs for long. To insure continous lock during these engagements, try to stay 200+ away from the target, and raise your view so the bottom of your sight lock is about level with the horizon (so as to minimize the chances of his jumping above your lock).

I think that covers it...

Let us know how it works for you.

Edited by Phyrox

One complain't I've had since i've been playing, is the fact that a lot of cores have that MG on the front, but it's decoration only.

That's not a machine gun, that's an automaticly activaded anti-missile gun. :p

Wait...it actually does something? I had no idea, no one ever manages to get their missiles off at me....

Silent Line seems really light on parts at first (unless you're bringing over a lof of parts from an AC3 save file), but there's actaully TONS of parts in that game! 

After you've played through a few levels (I want to say it's 6 or 7), you get a mail saying some ban has been lifted or something, and there's more parts available.  And all of a sudden there's 5 times more parts to buy in the shop!

Plus there's TONS of secret parts to get by playing the levels.  All those parts are new for Silent Line.  But a lot of them are really hard to get...

I've had that happen 3 times, but there still seems to be a shortage of parts. I'd say there are only twice as many now.

I have AC3 and I liked it because the graphics are great and the gameplay is nice, but I hated the control scheme.

The clunky controlls got me killed many a time.

If they made the controls different or at least fully customizeable, I'd be very happy.

Vostok 7

The controls are fully customizable....

I'm personally a big fan of Missile Boats. But I'm absolutely horrible at mecha design, I guess. I've failed half of the missions I've played!

Edited by Commander McBride

Good design would be a machine gun combined with standard-site-FCS and turning speed increase option part. Combine that with a low drain booster on a light mech and you can do lil death circles while maintaining a double lock.

Now for the ammo problem *Cry*

Well... you got to put your priorities straight if you want to design a good mech. I always consider back weapons to be the most expendable equipment in a mech, with optional parts coming in a close second.

I usually care most for generator, thrusters and cooling system.