Are you in the Military or did you join?

DatterBoy

Are you in the Military or did you join?  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Are you in the Military or did you join?

• Yes: Army
    • Yes: Air Force
    • Yes: Navy
    • No, but considered it
    • No

I was within 8 days of leaving for USMC OCS after I graduated... I got a job offer I couldn't refuse though so I bailed... I will always regret missing the oportunity to put some foot to ass for my country.

Hello,

Yeah, it's fun to tease one another about the different branches. I was a "Squid," or "Surface Puke," as compared to a "Bubble Head."

You join the Marine Corp to fight, and I have the most respect for the USMC.

My step-father retired from the Marine Corp. He spent time as a Drill Instructor and then Forward Air Observer during Vietnam. The Huey he was in got shot down, he was shot up pretty bad, left for dead and stripped of his uniform by the Viet Cong. Needless to say, whenever I screwed up, I was disciplined "Marine Corp" style.

My real father served in the US Army during Korea but stayed stateside. Did top secret work intercepting and decoding transmissions from Russia, and they were doing the same to us. Afterwords he went to work for N.A.S.A. for (30) years and got to meet most of the astronauts.

My brother served as a medic with the Marine Corp stationed at Camp Pendleton and Twenty Nine Palms.

My grandfather on my dad's side served overseas in WWII with the US Navy.

Uncle on my mom's side served in Alaska during the Vietnam War with the US Army.

So basically, we have been a pretty patriotic family. Every branch except for Air Force.

Sincerely,

Christopher B))

It's funny hearing the cross talk from diff branches of service. The big picture is that not one cannot function without the others. So like ChrisB said no matter what your called it all ties together, whether your fixin' tanks and planes or beach landing on a rock somewhere, we all support the same cause.

Edited by Aztek

I Joined the Army after highschool but, unfortunately, wound up being discharged halfway through basic training due to medical reasons. Basically, I should never have passed the medical exam but, for some reason they passed me anyway. I always wonder what my life would be like if I stayed in.

OK,

so no disrespect intended, but on paper, the Coast Guard and the Marines... Navy, right? Didn't wanna make it all complex.

So for those of you who wanna take a shot at me for forgetting omitting thise in my sellection... I say...

BRING IT O........

++++++++ Connection Dropped ++++++++++

Just kidding ya'll I've nothing but repect for all folks in uniform... God Bless and Happy Holidays!

:Dat

ASVAB-smashvab! Let me tell you guys something about the ASVAB, recruiters are always ecstatic if you pass the ASVAB...they could care less about how high you scored, its all about making their quota for that month.

I kicked ass on the ASVAB---I scored a 98 but in the end, it doesn't really matter cos there's always a dumbass who scored way less than you did who is telling you how they want everything done (a PRK-E5 and so on or a PRK-O1[inside joke for comm guys]). My MOS, Microwave Comm, but in the end I was still just a battery operated target for the grunts and don't even get me started on the humps (HIKING)... Sophistimicated radios my ass, how hard is it to carry a freaking walkie-talkie over those 40 lb radios that have a range of only 10 miles!?!

And then I remember when I was ending my enlistment, I took one of those career tests that suggested I should go into engineering and the counselor was telling me she has never seen scores like that and I was like "YEAH right, heard that before!"

Kidding aside! The military was a great experience for me...made a lot of life long buddies, saw other parts of the world, and I did a lot of growing up. Seeing my nasty civ friends when I got out proved how much I had grown up over them...but now all that is out the window :p:p:p

ASVAB-smashvab! Let me tell you guys something about the ASVAB, recruiters are always ecstatic if you pass the ASVAB...they could care less about how high you scored, its all about making their quota for that month.

I kicked ass on the ASVAB---I scored a 98 but in the end, it doesn't really matter cos there's always a dumbass who scored way less than you did who is telling you how they want everything done (a PRK-E5 and so on or a PRK-O1[inside joke for comm guys]). My MOS, Microwave Comm, but in the end I was still just a battery operated target for the grunts and don't even get me started on the humps (HIKING)... Sophistimicated radios my ass, how hard is it to carry a freaking walkie-talkie over those 40 lb radios that have a range of only 10 miles!?!

And then I remember when I was ending my enlistment, I took one of those career tests that suggested I should go into engineering and the counselor was telling me she has never seen scores like that and I was like "YEAH right, heard that before!"

Kidding aside! The military was a great experience for me...made a lot of life long buddies, saw other parts of the world, and I did a lot of growing up. Seeing my nasty civ friends when I got out proved how much I had grown up over them...but now all that is out the window :p:p:p

LoL

I scored 100+ in every category of the ASVAB. I could have gotten an MOS involving the 96 series, which is intelligence.

Another Air Force Tech Sergeant here. Hit my 12 year point in one week. I'm a weather forecaster by trade, but right now I'm working as a solar analyst at a solar observatory in Australia (it's a "space weather" thing).

Let's see...logical progression...loved Star Wars, which led to a love of military aviation (I guess). Love of sci-fi and military aviation made Robotech a natural choice. Love of military aviation led to enlisting in the Air Force.

GDomino,

There arent any PRC-O#s out there, just PRC-E#s :lol::D:p

Remember, It's not the size of your Antenna that counts, but your Frequency!!!

Darth C,

Nice assignment you've got there! Australia, eh!?!

Out here...

Dont be a Dirty Nasty LEG!!!

Do you remember your scores TWDC?

No. I can't remember at all.

I know I sucked at the mechanics part. But my recruiter almost creamed his pants when he told me my scores.

LMAO. My recruiter DID cream his pants! It was so long ago I'd forgotten it!

I made a perfect on the ASVAB. So they went and looked at all my answers and I had misses 0 questions. All the recruiters were like huddled looking at my test results saying how they can't believe it. Enough bragging now...

Anyways, I passed all of the physicals with flying colors but the next to last test (I think) was the eye-sight one and I so completely bombed it. Basically unless I'm 5 inches away from the broadside of a barn, I'd probably miss it.

So they sent a letter off to the head honcho or whatever to see if they could waive the test given my abilities everywhere else, but the answer came back as no.

I still think the Navy is cool though.

vinnie

There arent any PRC-O#s out there, just PRC-E#s :lol::D:p

Remember, It's not the size of your Antenna that counts, but your Frequency!!!

LOL!

Yeah I know, no PRC-O#s...... but we certainly had our share of pr!(k lieutenants though!