Back @ It Again, need advice

sqidd

Yo! I haven’t been on here forever!

I couple of 3-4yrs ago I sold my entire collection off (except a few choice toys) when I was opening my new business……I needed every bit of cash I could get my hands on. I’m missing them.

What’s the latest and greatest? Last I was here the 1/60 VF stuff was hotting up (I had all 1/48 stuff). Is the 1/60 stuff the hot setup now? I’m looking to build my collection back up but for starters I am not looking for any of the real “collector” stuff. I need the basics at this point.

What would you suggest the re-beginning collector should get/start with?

What’s the deal with Yamato I read? Is the stuff they made before imploding still the stuff to have or is everyone waiting on the new stuff from whatever the new company is called?

Tell me anything you think I should know.

Thanks!

1/60 has become the defacto scale for Macross perfect transformation toys....

If you really sold off everything, then just head to your online shop of choice and pre-order the VF-1S Hikaru and Roy....plus the new and improved YF-19 from Macross Plus....you can find info about these new Arcadia (new company risen from the ashes of Yamato's bankruptcy) releases on the Toys thread.....

It seems that most of the standard VF's will eventually see a re-issue...so it is probably best to wait and see....the high prices for most of Yamato's 1/60 V2 line seem to have calmed a bit....however, there are still a few that command higher prices...but some of those will likely be re-issued by Arcadia....

Good Luck........

I was also gone for about 4 years and returned here late last year. Here's the deal.

v2 1/60 became THE VF-1 to have after they fix the shoulder and crotch issues. Yamato milked it to death with almost every possible scheme and even dwelling into the really obscure schemes.

Macross 7 license went full blast and the VF-11C, VF-17D/S, VF-19S/F/Kai/P, VF-22S were released. Destroids were released, 1/3000 SDF-1 was released. There was so much Macross to buy until Yamato finally announced and released the VF-4G, After that, Yamato went bust.

With the prospect of no more Macross to be made, prices skyrocketed and people were buying everything at insane prices.

Rumors finally came to fruition that a new company called Arcadia emerged from Yamato's ashes and would continue the Macross line. Arcadia will now continue releasing Macross stuff. They started with an ugly VF-1J 30th anniversary scheme design by Tenjin, they then announced a new v2 YF-19 and the reissue of the VF-1S Roy and Hikaru with some extra little things. The 3 are available for preorder now.

Prices for old Yamato Macross stuff are now hitting rock bottom, so now is the best time to catch up or the best time to start with everything new and better from Arcadia.

Between all this Bandai made some crap valks and is trying to catch up.

EDIT: spelling and grammar

Edited by Valkyrie addict

Valkyrie addict forgot to mention that the "Ugly" 30th anniversary 1/60 VF-1J (Arcadia's first release) can still be found at HLJ. If you are interested in anything Macross Frontier in toy form Bandai is the only game in town. If you seek these out make sure they are "Renewal" valks which I consider to be V2's, except for the VF-27. The 27 is more like a 1.5 release. Hope that helps a bit.

If the VF-1 is the only real Valkyrie for you then look no further then the Arcadia re-releases of the DYRL? line. I've been told that you should own at least one VF-1 V2 toy if you call yourself a Variable Fighter collector because they are that good. The first releases had problems with shoulder joints that break easily but that has been fixed with later releases. Yamato also released unpainted unassembled kits of the VF-1 if that is your cup of tea.
Yamato also released the DYRL? version of the SDF-1 as a 1/3000 scale assembled toy and as a kit (1/3000 and 1/2000 I think). They came with a hefty price tag even before you add the second market mark-up.
The last piece Yamato released was the web exclusive VF-4 (not in the FB2012 version but the VF-4G from the VF-X2 game). Collectors agree that it is a great toy but since it was a web exclusive it is hard to get now and near impossible at a decent price. Arcadia might re-release it since it was critically acclaimed also Arcadia seems to do more and more build to order releases so there is a good chance to make a profit even if it is a niche piece.

Regarding Macross Plus Arcadia is releasing a new YF-19 (also built to order so if your interested you should get a preorder). Don't touch the old one or only if it will stay in Fighter-Mode forever. Yamato made also a YF-21 and VF-11B for Plus. They are great toys but a bit harder to find. No one knows what Arcadia is planning on new molds for the future so maybe they update the Plus line.

If you like the Macross 7 Stuff (VF-19K/S/F/P and the VF-17S/D) there are still units available at a discount at several places. Especially the VF-19 would be of interest since to some it is the best toy Yamato released (I agree but I have only a small Yamato collection). There are other Macross 7 Valkyries to get like the VF-11C and the VF-22S but they are a little bit harder to get. Especially the VF-11C skyrocketed in price for some reasons after Yamato went belly up. the M7 Valkyries where among the last toys Yamato released so I assume that Arcadia (who seem to have all the newer Yamato molds and licenses) won't release them any time soon as long as old Yamato stock is around.

Yamato also released Macross Zero toys but they are a bit dated and terrible floppy (so I heard). There are also rumors that a VF-0D would be next from Arcadia so you might stay away from any Macross Zero stuff.
Bandai is the only place if you like to get Macross Frontier Valkyries. They are also roughly 1/60 scale but compared to Arcadia/Yamato Valkyries the seem a tad too small. There are two Versions of the toys. The V1s are terrible compared to the Renewals (V2). You can distinguish them by the higher price and the new packaging with the white background. Bandai nearly completed the Frontier line. The only thing that is missing is the Tornado Pack.
Available are the VF-25F/S/G/A and the RVF-25 as well as the VF-171EX/CF, the Super VF-27 and the YF-29. For almost all releases exist some kind of add-on set but they are all released as Tamashii Web Shop exclusives so the prices on the after-market vary and are always higher then MSRP.
Since Bandai released in many cases not enough stock after the V1 debacle so for some pieces you have to pay premium to get them these include mostly the VF-25S/G and the YF-29s. A reissue of the VF-25S seems likely because the also reissued the VF-25F that started the Renewal line.
At the moment it is easy to get the RVF-25, Super VF-27 and VF-25A. The VF-171CF is around but Bandai messed up some pieces so the break easily in the shoulder area. Next up from Bandai is the web exclusive YF-29 Isamu Custom from the new Macross PS3 game as well as the YF-30 (from the same game). If your interested in the Isamu one you should hurry with your preorder because it will be released soon.
Oh, Bandai also released the Macross Quarter. It is a mixed bag but you can still get some left over stock pretty cheap during sales and I think that it is highly unlikely that Bandai reissues the Quarter.
If you want to get information on all the releases you missed you should check out jenius' site (http://anymoon.com). There you find all the information you need to know which toys are save to buy. This is extremely helpful for Yamatos VF-1s. It also gives a good overview and it has nice pictures form the box, hints on what to be aware of when buying stuff, video reviews, transformation guides and lots more.
Another good source for information is CollectionDX (http://collectiondx.com).
Edited by Scyla

Welcome back Sqidd, I do remember you.

If the VF-1 is the only real Valkyrie for you then look no further then the Arcadia re-releases of the DYRL? line. I've been told that you should own at least one VF-1 V2 toy if you call yourself a Variable Fighter collector because they are that good.

I don't have a single VF-1, but i do have a dozen 21/22s....(I know what you're getting at, just having fun :p)

I also don't have a single VF-1 so no offense taken. ;)

I forgot to mention that Yamato as well as Bandai released their own versions of a Koenig Monster in 1/100 scale. The Bandai one is from Macross Frontier but I don't know where the Yamato one is from (maybe a game). Yamatos Monster is a floppy mess as far as I know and Bandais has some issues with cracking arm joints. Both can transform. :)

I also don't have a single VF-1 so no offense taken. ;)

I forgot to mention that Yamato as well as Bandai released their own versions of a Koenig Monster in 1/100 scale. The Bandai one is from Macross Frontier but I don't know where the Yamato one is from (maybe a game). Yamatos Monster is a floppy mess as far as I know and Bandais has some issues with cracking arm joints. Both can transform. :)

The Yamato one is from the VF-X2 game. I can confirm that the Yamato one is indeed a floppy mess and ugly to boot. That's the first I've heard of cracking arm joints on the Bandai one. Mine has been perfectly fine however.

The Yamato one is from the VF-X2 game. I can confirm that the Yamato one is indeed a floppy mess and ugly to boot. That's the first I've heard of cracking arm joints on the Bandai one. Mine has been perfectly fine however.

Hey hey. I have the Yamato Konig. Yes it is a floppy monster, but ugly!? That it is not!.

If by ugly you mean very pretty like an angler fish, then yes it is.