This 1/60 custom is going to be bigger than I thought!

bry

If you don't have an airbrush, Tamiya has a good color that fits closely, I used it on my 1/100th and was pleased with it. I'm not sure the exact color name, but it is one (of a few) Olive DRab colors. - MT

Heh! I had a similar reaction as I first stood it up all together. I hadn't weighed it until you asked, but she's coming in at just over 6 pounds at the moment with about 95% of the parts printed. Not too bad for this size, and only ~ $100 in plastic at that weight, but I was aiming to keep it lighter. Oh well.

For now, I'm keeping the hips as-is. The ball joints are solid even with the cannons mounted; I didn't resize the sockets at all so they already fit very tight, and I also printed them very low resolution, as well as the lower hip socket part (you can see this in the pictures - the layer lines are clearly visible) so the layer lines tend to interlock like tiny teeth; it moved with effort but you have to pick up the Monster to pose the hips - they're that tight. I just need to redo the lower knee joints with equal strength; I made them far too loose to hold up the body.

Maybe now we know why Yamato never went ahead with the 1/60 Monster. Just too big and heavy, etc... Hell, a slightly scaled down version that puts it only slightly over the size of the other Destroids would be "good enough" IMO.

I've been keeping an eye on this project, and absolutely love it. I too, am going to get a 3D printer sometime soon...a good high res printer that will set me back about $2K. It'll be awhile, but this kinda stuff is what I'd like to do. I hope I can afford this 1/60, as I've been wanting one ever since Yamato first put that teaser out, then vapored the project. For now, all I have is a paper craft Monster that I made about 10 years ago, but still holds up.

• 4 weeks later...

oooooooooooooooh man I really want the file for this. Get my pal jeremie to print it on his robocraft printer and just piss him off on all the filament it'll use to get it done. Then again, he used 3 spools to do a Halo 4 railgun and I think even scaled it down a tad. >_> but oh man, this would be neat.

It is; most of the print is using a 90% hollow with 10% honeycomb infill and 2mm thick walls profile. A few parts were 0% infill (completely empty) and some had more infill but were unnecessarily heavy for no more strength.

I've gone through as much plastic in failed and test parts as I have usable pieces, but it's been a fun project. The final weight is a few pounds heavier than I was hoping for, and I suspect this is the reason Yamato gave up on their own version.

I haven't done much new since the last photos, but one of these days I'll take it outside for painting now that it's looking like the winter might actually be over for real. A bit of paint, some 2D-printed decals, and final assembly is all that's left!

Edited by bry

• 4 weeks later...

You can recycle plastic for re-use, though I haven't built a recycler yet. It's one of those backburner projects I never get to.

Still no paint work; we had snow again this morning, and it's looking like this winter is never going to end.

You can recycle plastic for re-use, though I haven't built a recycler yet. It's one of those backburner projects I never get to.

Still no paint work; we had snow again this morning, and it's looking like this winter is never going to end.

I refer to Game of Thrones for this statement. In all seriousness, I hope it clears up and you can show us the final product. Looks like fun.