How do the Online Shops take order cancelling?

ff95gj

We all have gone through the preorder frenzy. Sometimes you bite the bullet, and then a better deal shows up later.

Then sometimes you honor the deal, but often you want to cancel the more expensive one.

May I ask how do the shops see customer cancelling orders? Anyone actually suffer from the adverse effect? How many orders did you cancel before they turn their back on you?

- AmiAmi

- Hobby Search

- Nippon Yasan

- Others

Thanks!

Edited by ff95gj

It varies from shops to shops.
My understanding is Amiami and Otacute generally don't allow cancellations - usually a ban of your email and delivery address for doing so, though the former some times do make exceptions.

Hobby Search only allows 2 weeks after order to decide if you want to cancel.

But generally, if you are able to get it at these 3 places, you should count your blessings and not even bother cancelling.

HLJ allows you to cancel any time before the item arrives.

Not sure about NY, though people here seemed to be able to just by emailing them.

Frankly, it is because people can be such flakes that shops like Amiami have to be so harsh and strict when it comes to cancellation.

NY says that if you cancel an order they will cancel all your other existing pre-orders too.

I cancelled my VF-171 order a few months back but my other pre-orders are still intact.

IMHO, most major online stores don't seem to mind cancelling pre-orders coz they can still sell them to someone else. Returning an item can be slightly annoying to them though.

Yeah, it tends to be contextual.

I've never heard of HLJ blacklisting anyone for canceling, but that doesn't mean they haven't. I've canceled heaps of stuff over the 10 years I've been using them, they have never mentioned anything, but they have an automated system so I'm not too sure they would even notice unless they investigate or filter accounts with high cancellation rates...

AmiAmi, Anime Export, Hobby Search and Otacute don't really permit cancellations, and warn that they may blacklist you if you try it. I once accidentally double ordered something at Amiami and asked that they remove one of them, and they did so with no fuss. That was a while ago when their ordering system was much more clumsy tho, there was no user account system back then... I've heard of people being able to cancel pre-orders with Amiami if the released item was vastly different from the preview images (eg Transformers MP-3 Starscream) or if items are not as described - I think there were mass cancellations of the Macross: Do You Remember Love Blu-ray sets as edits and quality were unacceptable to some fans.

Ultimately it comes down to weather a site sees you as a valuable customer or a pain-in-the-butt.

NY says that if you cancel an order they will cancel all your other existing pre-orders too.

Can you link me to where it says that? I was able to reorder qty 3 of an item and have them cancel 2x orders so I could combine the order into 1. My other pre-orders are not cancelled, I have a ton of them.

Can you link me to where it says that? I was able to reorder qty 3 of an item and have them cancel 2x orders so I could combine the order into 1. My other pre-orders are not cancelled, I have a ton of them.

Odd. I went back to try to find it and couldn't. Perhaps they changed it, but a few months back (perhaps in November?) I wanted to cancel a pre-order, and checked their site to see if they allowed it or not. I think it was in the terms and conditions that they stated the penalty for cancelling a preorder or failing to pay for an order when it was due would cause all your existing preorders to be cancelled as well. It stated it pretty clearly, but now I can't find it so they may be more lenient on it now. In any case, it caused me to keep my pre-order since I also had the yf-29 super pack preordered and didn't want to lose that. I can't even find anything about cancelling orders at all now or perhaps it's just because I'm tired and I might be overlooking it somewhere. But if they allowed you to cancel and re-order, that seems a pretty definite confirmation that they are allowing it now. Edited by MacrossJunkie

I think NY only cancels all if you don't PAY for your preorder by the due date. Cancelling way in advanced is no issue.

I've never heard of HLJ blacklisting anyone for canceling, but that doesn't mean they haven't. I've canceled heaps of stuff over the 10 years I've been using them, they have never mentioned anything, but they have an automated system so I'm not too sure they would even notice unless they investigate or filter accounts with high cancellation rates...

AmiAmi, Anime Export, Hobby Search and Otacute don't really permit cancellations, and warn that they may blacklist you if you try it. I once accidentally double ordered something at Amiami and asked that they remove one of them, and they did so with no fuss. That was a while ago when their ordering system was much more clumsy tho, there was no user account system back then... I've heard of people being able to cancel pre-orders with Amiami if the released item was vastly different from the preview images (eg Transformers MP-3 Starscream) or if items are not as described - I think there were mass cancellations of the Macross: Do You Remember Love Blu-ray sets as edits and quality were unacceptable to some fans.

Ultimately it comes down to weather a site sees you as a valuable customer or a pain-in-the-butt.

I've cancelld my Amiami orders before but they didn't reply my cancellation e-mail. The item just disappeared from my order list. I guess that means they weren't happy about it. :lol:

I've never cancelled from the other sites before, but I've always assumed that they allowed cancellation. Good to know that I was wrong.

Edited by neoexcaliber

I won't speak for AE or Otacute because I've never shopped with them, but I've done a fair bit of business with AmiAmi and HobbySearch, including requesting order cancellations form them in the past. In ever case I simply explained why I needed to cancel my order in an email and within a couple business days they responded to me with an email saying that the requested items had been canceled and with a friendly reminder not to make a habit of requesting order cancellations.

Really, with both AmiAmi and HobbySearch, They do value you as a customer and are perfectly happy to help you out if you need to cancel an order. In both cases they just want people to not make a habit of doing it because they're small enough shops that lots of canceled preorders will negatively effect their ability to serve other customers.

i canceled my rvf-25 preorder at NY by email, and all went fine.

Got a response email and my preorder in my account says "Order canceled".

I hope they dont hate me now... :(

Don't need to take it personally, if they flagged you as a detriment to their business by wasting their time they would have just cancelled your account or gave you a warning.