May'n - The Galactic Fairy

vanpang

• 2 weeks later...

May'n conquers the Philippines!

Last year, she was scheduled to be in the Philippines but just days away from the event, a devastating typhoon struck the area and caused massive flooding. It was not a good time and the event was cancelled. But this time they're made it despite another typhoon (I guess it wasn't that bad but flights were cancelled)

https://www.facebook.com/MaynPH/

Do check out the Mango video and the Phonic Nation chorus.

I was supposed to be at work that time and completely accepted that fact that I wont be able to attend this event. Then, the day before this event, my office called to tell me that I'll be off on that day. It slipped my mind. :wacko::unsure::(:angry:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the posting darkgiver and welcome to this page eXis10z.

Pix from the Twenty Four Seven venue (outside the concert hall) and (the concert hall itself). It's one really classy place!

http://s1320.photobucket.com/user/jameswmc88/media/DSCN1976_zpsdlo39zpf.jpg.html?sort=3&o=8

http://s1320.photobucket.com/user/jameswmc88/media/DSCN1958_zps3ncydrdd.jpg.html?sort=3&o=13

http://s1320.photobucket.com/user/jameswmc88/media/DSCN1959_zpsf6mcllfb.jpg.html?sort=3&o=12

http://s1320.photobucket.com/user/jameswmc88/media/DSCN1964_zpsp6ddncdf.jpg.html?sort=3&o=11

http://s1320.photobucket.com/user/jameswmc88/media/DSCN1970_zpsav6h15gf.jpg.html?sort=3&o=10

http://s1320.photobucket.com/user/jameswmc88/media/DSCN1973_zpscj30sxrs.jpg.html?sort=3&o=9

The last pix '=9' has some optical illusion, the circular painted domes are not on the roof of the building but a reflection on the glass in front of the camera.

Inside the concert hall

http://s1320.photobucket.com/user/jameswmc88/media/DSCN1996_zpslzdpowfj.jpg.html?sort=3&o=7

One thing I noticed was, there was only one set of camera mounted on a tripod to record the event and throughout the concert, there were no cameramen running around to capture the action. I guess there are some regulations against doing that. Would love to have some form of recording for this event as the rewrite for the music is refreshing.

May’n Symphonic Concert – Twenty Four Seven

As with the previous concert, we went to the venue (Tokyo Metropolitan Theater, Ikebukuro) a day earlier to look around, we meet our friend ‘Andy’ and proceeded inside. We were all awed by the architecture and layout of the venue. This place is really classy! There was no info on when the merchandise for the event will start selling, so like many fans, they planned to go at first light. As my friend wasn’t feeling that well, he decided not to go there early as planned and get some good rest for tomorrow’s event.

The next day, we got a text from 'Andy' that he was already there at 5.00am and some other fans were there too. Nothing yet from the organizers. As the hours passed, more and more fans gathered. Finally at approximately 2pm in the afternoon, the organizers moved in and set up a lining up area. I returned at 4pm (4.30pm enter, 5.30pm concert starts) and looked for my friends who had lined up earlier but they were not there. I assumed they had already gone in (the merchandize were sold inside the hall entrance) and probably already seated. When the usher showed me to the seats, they were still empty, my friends were still at the merchandize area!

The setup of the hall was special (never been to a Symphonic concert before). All the layout was angular, like on a stealth fighter. It felt like I was on some kind of a space ship. In the center and above the Orchestra was a giant oval structure in a standing position flanked by what looked like wings. Instead of feathers, it had organ pipes patterns. Only when the concert started that I’ve learn that they are actually the organ instrument! While waiting for the concert hall to fill up, a few members of the Orchestra test out the big kettle drums and they ‘played dangerous notes’.

One more thing I immediately noticed was, there was only one camera recording the event. That meant, there probably won’t be any B-disc or DVD of this concert. Hope I’m wrong though.

The lights dimmed and the Orchestra members started to take their places. A female silhouette entered wearing a dark colored gown – it didn’t looked like ‘Bucho’ (May’n nick name). She sat down on the Grand Piano, which was the center piece.

Then Bucho entered and immediately the clapping got louder as expectations begin to rise. Bucho looked like a ballerina (minus the fluffy skirt), she was in white with shiny silvery patterns on both of her shoulders. The unmistakable tune of ‘If you wish for…’ (OP from Valkyria Chronicles 3) started to play. Everyone was kind of looked at each other – to see if anyone would stand up and start waving their lights sticks. None. So we all sat down quietly and listened intensely to the music and Bucho’s vocals.

Next up was ‘Love is like the falling stars’ and the illumination changed to a yellow/orange mood with patterns projected on to the concert walls. May’n then introduces herself and welcomed everyone to her Symphonic Concert and introduces the Orchestra members. She was happy to see so many faces and amazed that there were people seated to the rear aisle as well! (seating capacity was around 2,000) Next is ‘Today colored in Love’ (OP for Inari Konkon Koi Iroha) and ‘Grand Piano’. After the song, she explained that even she had a song named after the instrument, she never had actually touched one, and so when the opportunity came, she helped herself to it and it was fun.

I was thinking to myself, was this how the whole concert was going to be played out? Only the slow songs? Names of songs with slow tunes began to run through my mind in anticipation of what will come next.

No way! Came the answer as Bucho dished out ‘Scarlet Ballet’ symphonic style! Because they had to rewrite the music arrangements to fit the Orchestra’s existing instruments, the tunes were refreshing and the big changes were usually during the 2nd verse of the song. After that, two Macross F songs – Oberlisk and the awesome ‘Diamond Crevasse’! The latter sounded epic with the inclusion of the kettle drums! I like this version!

A break! I was thinking ‘this early and after only 7 songs?’ Probably it was a good time as almost the entire concert hall went to the toilets. I came back and it was quite a long break. I began looking around and noticed there were also some Senior citizens in the crowd (arena and 1st floor) – probably people in the industry or relatives of May’n which came to see her perform. While lining up to go in, a senior couple came to ask the ushers which artist is performing at the concert hall, and I thought they might be at the wrong venue (there were other venues in the same building).

Up till now, you could feel like everyone wanted to stand up and cheer, and wave their light sticks, but somehow, maybe due to the venue or ‘rules’, everyone just sat down quietly. On her usual concerts, you would see Bucho make full use of the stage, but here she seemed to be confined to the center area, and moved around in a 3ft x 3ft space! Even her arm movements are more reserved.

Break over and Bucho returned in a stunning Dark green (top) and Black (bottom) outfit with a Dark pink/black sash running from her right shoulder down to her right thighs. Next up ‘Yousei’ from Macross F and Aozora (ED from Btooooom!) All perfectly balanced by the music and her perfect vocals.

As it was her Birthday just a few days ago, she shared her experience with us. She explained, she was still on the train at 11.58pm on the 20th October 2016. By the time she stepped out to the platform it was 12.02am (the next day, 21st October). So symbolically, the train took her from the 26th to the 27th (years old). And when she got down from the train, the speaker announced ‘Welcome!’, which added more significance to the event.

Song no. 11 – Belief (OP for Taboo Tattoo) I’m not sure of the arrangement of this song but there were gaps of 1 or 2 seconds where there was no vocals or instruments playing. While this was happening you could hear Bucho’s high heels hitting the stage as she changes position! Song no.12 – Northern Cross (Sayonara no Tsubasa ver.) The first part of the song, Bucho sang without the mike! That was awesome! (Actually with the mike, she just sounded a little louder, maybe just one notch higher). Normally, she would do that Northern Cross sign during the chorus, but here she didn’t. Only at the end of this song she did it once. I like this one also at it sounded epic!

As throughout the entire concert and up to this point, we could feel the audience was holding back like a coiled spring waiting for a chance to be released and ‘Bucho’ knows us best! For the last song – she called everyone to stand up! Everyone jumped to their feet! You could see the surprised looks on the musicians faces as if they were saying – ‘you’re allowed to do this?’ Then May’n announced the name of her last song –May’n Space! And everyone just let out all their penned up energy! They swayed left and right and chant the song’s title as well as the longest clapping session in all of her concerts!

As usual, once the song has reached the chorus, she would invite the audience to join in – starting with the guys, the girls, the arena, 1st Floor and 2nd Floor. Not forgetting the audience who are sitting at the rear left aisle and right aisle, whom for the entirety of the concert could only see Bucho from the back, she gives them a special spot. Bucho said – ‘I want to hear your individual voices!’ Because there were only around 20 people on each side, we could all clearly hear their voices – nice! The rest of us gave them a loud applause.

Then the fun part came! Bucho suddenly called on the musicians in the Orchestra to sing along! Clearly this caught them by surprise as you can see the expression on their faces! Being very sporting, they sang and we all gave them a loud applause in appreciation! And the musicians enjoyed it, as this is probably the first time they have ever heard their own voices and being appreciated not by their talents in playing their instruments! I would not be surprised if May’n made some new fans from the members of the Orchestra!

One last round by everyone and the concert drew to a close. May’n thanked the Orchestra, the organ player who sits alone -2 floors above the Orchestra, the lead violinist and the maestro on the grand piano. We applauded as they left the stage. May’n stayed back and as usual she thanked everyone block by block. She sounded out of breath as she moved around the stage. The fans in the front would sit down after waving to her, so that the ones behind them could be seen by May’n. Finally she returned to the center of the stage - 'Vokal wa! May'n deshita! Arigato!' Everyone clapped until she left the stage. An announcement came informing the concert was over and everyone left. The time was around 8pm.

The first 2 songs had an imbalance at one part where the music was too loud and drowned out her vocals but for the rest of the concert, it was perfect. It was an unusual (16 songs only but went to 2.5 hours long) concert, the rewrite of the notes to fit the orchestra instruments were refreshing and epic, we all left the concert hall with sore palms from all that clapping and a wide smile!

Special thanks to 'Andysken' and 'Sin You'

SONG LIST

1 - Moshimo Kimi ga Negau no Nara (If you wish for)
2 - Ai wa Furu Hoshi no Gotoku (Love is like the falling stars)
3 - Kyou no Koiiro (Today colored in Love)

4 - Grand Piano

5 - Scarlet Ballet
6 - Obelisk
7 - DIamond Crevasse

BREAK

8 - Yousei (Fairy)
9 - Aozora (Blue Sky)
10 - Eien (Eternity)

11 - Belief – OP for Taboo Tattoo

12 - Northern Cross – Sayonara no Tsubasa version
13 - Yoake no Logos (Dawn of Logos) – 2nd OP for Aquarion Logos

ENCORE
14 - Hikari Aru Basho e (To where there is light)- ED for Shuumatsu no Izetta

15 - May'n Space

Edited by VF25-F

• 3 weeks later...

May'n trying out naan with sugar during AFASG 2016

Part 1 - it's dangerous!

https://twitter.com/mayn_tw/status/802843692218204160

Part 2

https://twitter.com/mayn_tw/status/802845218978480128

Photos taken during the 3 day event.

https://twitter.com/mayn_tw

it doesn't look like naan to me it looks thinner. to me it looks like prata since i got to taste one a few years ago. in the discussion others say it's roti but what do i know about roti...

thanks for the updates by the way. i haven't gone to AFASG i'm too busy buying stuff online lol. one day i hope to attend a concert of hers in japan since from the videos they look awesome.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 27/01/2017 at 11:27 PM, VF25-F said:

May'n at a Taiwan TV show - Idols Of Asia, sings - Towards the Light (Izetta, the last Witch) and plays some music games!

Nice find. It's amazing she's also learning Chinese. Though it makes sense, it seems every year she's in Singapore for AFA. But I'm not sure how many times she's been to Taiwan.

• 2 weeks later...