Macross Perfect Memory Book

baronv

I came across some Perfect Memory books on eBay and while it looked interesting, is it worth the $45 some odd dollars for it. Does it contain new material from the TV and movie shows ir is it mostly screen caps. of the series?

I think Macross Perfect Memory is totally worth it.

The book contains thousands of screen shots from the Macross series, but it's got large sections on many other aspects of the show. It includes an exhaustive section of lineart, everything from sets, to characters, to mecha. The book also contains plenty of text, although I can't read the stuff as yet. It's just plain huge and packed with all things Macross.

The perfect memory book is an awesome book. It's the next best thing after the Macross Gold Book. I would totally pick up this book if I haven't done so already. I have two of these, one original and one bootleg. Now on that note, if the auction you saw was a bootleg copy, then I would not pay no more than 30 bucks for one and that's with shipping included. But if it's an original one, that's a hella good price then. I paid 90 bucks for my original one. And as for the bootleg, I paid only 18 bucks for it at a local bootleg place in L.A. So check carefully. I would say if it came with a sdf-1 poster, than it's definitly original. But if no poster came with it, then stay away. Good luck! and I hope this helps. :p:D:lol:

Yes, Perfect Memory is definitely worth getting. Worth $45? As noted above, if it's the original with the poster, then it's worth it for collectiblity. But if you just want access to the information and pictures (other than the poster), a bootleg will do fine. I got mine for a ridiculously low price ($9.99 plus shipping) from an ebay seller called "gamebuyers" and I've seen them selling it recently on eBay for $19.99, which is still a very good value. However, some people have reported problems with "gamebuyers". I didn't have any problems at all--it took a while to arrive, but no longer than they indicated in their info. Nevertheless, caveat emptor.

Regarding the text: even if you can't read Japanese (I can't) you can get a little more out of the book by finding a reference to katakana either on the net or your bookstore/library.

While we're on the topic, I believe I have a bootleg. Is this the reason that the print quality of the screen captures seems to degrades as you get farther towards the back of the book?

Or is the original like that too?

Thanks!

Hurin

Any hints on how to tell bootleg books?

Yes. You can tell the bootleg books from the real books by the differences in the covers.

The cover of Macross Perfect Memory has pictures of the SDF-1, Daedalus, Prometheus, an Oberth-class destroyer, an ARMD and several destroids on it. Both books have the exact same cover, however, the inks used are different. On the real book, the illustrations are printed with blue outlines and a metallic-silvery color for the shading. On the bootleg books, the silver coloring just looks dull and grey.

Curious here. How much would you guys pay to get the gold book? I saw it and wanted to buy it but did not know a fair price to pay for it?

From what I've seen these day, the gold books usually goes for around $400 or so. I have really no idea what would pass for as fair these days. When I bought my gold book about 15 years ago, I paid $80 for it, which was about the cover price of the book.

Yes, Perfect Memory is definitely worth getting. Worth $45?

if it is not the bootleg version then yes, otherwise not for that price.

the bootleg is good too, but it is around $20 on ebay.

besides the silvery colors, the helmets were blue originally, on the bootleg it has a little purple tint.

inside: around the end the color sections are not readable (faded) in the bootleg version

Curious here. How much would you guys pay to get the gold book? I saw it and wanted to buy it but did not know a fair price to pay for it?

I paid $120 for it (but it didn't have the poster/film strip (didn't need them anyway, just it would be more complete that way))

for a GoldBook having both $150-250 is a good price IMHO.

It's very rare to find the gold book with the 35mm film strip in it. My gold book didn't even have it. I believe only the first printing of the book had the strip in them. My book, unfortunately was a 4th printing.

Maybe one of these days I'll buy a second copy. The one I have now is showing its signs of age. It would be nice to have a mint-condition copy of this book.

Hey BoBe-Patt, what bookstore did you get your bootleg book at?

I bought the book at the corner store at 3rd and wall streets. It's the store that has like a whole lot of bootleg stuff especially eva figures. They also have a whole stack of other bootlegged artbooks for really cheap prices. Good luck finding one now. I think everybody bought one already. I got mine like a year or more ago.

Well, I'd say a far price to pay for a complete one would be 200 bucks, but that's it it's minty fresh. For a gold book with no film strip and poster, I'd pay 100 or under. And thanx to Rob (monkey-nugget) I finally bought one complete for only 140 with shipping from japan.

No one mentioned it but another way I found out was the bookcovers are made of different type of paper. The oringinal is made of a hard paper while the bootleg is made out of a thinner cheaper paper. So for those who have the "originals" I suggest you check it out and compare it. Hope this helps.

One thing I love about the book is seeing the early concept art of the characters. IMO Hikaru looked much better in the earlier art than that "I just got electricuted" hairstyle they used. Also the early version of Max seems to be used later as Kamjim/Quamzin or however you spell that damn name! :p

Edited by Backstabber

Nah, I've always loved Hikaru's hair style. In the grand scheme of things, it really gave his character distinction and it made him look very young. The black hair/green costume and the watercolor pictures on the top of that page make him look like an anime version of Luke Skywalker :(