HG and Robotech Debates, ep. 8

azrael

I found this.

The author sounds like one of those "Michael Bay raped my childhood"-people. And as I understand it, Pacific Rim is an homage to Kaiju-genre (giant monsters) than an Evangelion-ripoff.

Could RT be done as a Hollywood-flick? Of course it can. Any 80s franchise could. Will it appease people like the author of that article? Probably not.

The author sounds like one of those "Michael Bay raped my childhood"-people. And as I understand it, Pacific Rim is an homage to Kaiju-genre (giant monsters) than an Evangelion-ripoff.

Could RT be done as a Hollywood-flick? Of course it can. Any 80s franchise could. Will it appease people like the author of that article? Probably not.

Note that the author didn't mention Shadow Chronicles. Also:

Even the show’s art design aesthetic is as edgy and dynamic (perhaps more so) than what we see in Hollywood blockbusters today and the original 35-part Macross Saga contains enough story material to make a trilogy or larger franchise with cliffhangers that would probably drive audiences crazy to the point of watching the original show to find out what happens next.

It's been done under its real name already. :rolleyes:

Edited by Einherjar

The writer seems a bit out of touch with reality, and what is going on at this point. There's so many people that feel that just because a live action movie can be done of some nostalgic show from their childhood, it simply should be. It's a pretty stupid reason to do something if you ask me. I still don't think it'll get done. I think there are too many things that detract from the good it could do. In any case, the link just seems like a fanboy suggesting what he would do. I don't put any value in that article.

Note that the author didn't mention Shadow Chronicles. Also:

It's been done under its real name already. :rolleyes:

If he didn't mention Shadow Chronicles, it could be he doesn't know about it. Now, that's brand recognition. ;)

The writer seems a bit out of touch with reality, and what is going on at this point. There's so many people that feel that just because a live action movie can be done of some nostalgic show from their childhood, it simply should be. ...

First line of the article:

This one’s for all you out there who want to feel a bit nostalgic.

See, what did I tell you people about nostalgia?

The writer seems a bit out of touch with reality, and what is going on at this point. There's so many people that feel that just because a live action movie can be done of some nostalgic show from their childhood, it simply should be. It's a pretty stupid reason to do something if you ask me. I still don't think it'll get done. I think there are too many things that detract from the good it could do. In any case, the link just seems like a fanboy suggesting what he would do. I don't put any value in that article.

Its bad when they see the LAM and continuously say the source material is so much better.

See, what did I tell you people about nostalgia?

That it spawns terrible blogs?

I found this too: http://www.youtube.c...ns?feature=mv_c

What do you know, it's good ol' Macross II. It's the only Japanese anime up on that category right now. And Harmony Gold's name is nowhere in sight. "No-one minding the store" again?

Tommy's actually said that HG won't be looking to block the license of this and Macross Plus because of a statute of limitations.

Tommy's actually said that HG won't be looking to block the license of this and Macross Plus because of a statute of limitations.

So it is possible to bring those two out on Bluray with no issues? DYRL was released in the UK both subbed and dubbed through Kiseki in the mid-nineties along with MacII, but that never showed up on DVD.... I would figure it would be applicable to the same statute of limitations since we are talking about releases at around the same time period.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Macross-Do-You-Remember-Love-VHS/dp/B00004CQVJ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1324430716&sr=8-1

I got it for six quid and it's 71 pounds now.

So it's pretty much something they'll never live down besides Shadow Chronicles.

It's likeI said.

The only thing would work if they update the franchise; Shadow Chronicles was good for a pilot.

But using old mechs screwed cool.

Well they could upgrade.

Edited by Old_Nash

So it is possible to bring those two out on Bluray with no issues?

Maybe, I'm no lawyer, since they've released it on every other medium, and they continue to do so, I don't see why not. It would probably involve a re-transfer from the original source, since the DVD's and online transfers look like they've come from the oringal SD masters.

DYRL was released in the UK both subbed and dubbed through Kiseki in the mid-nineties along with MacII, but that never showed up on DVD.... I would figure it would be applicable to the same statute of limitations since we are talking about releases at around the same time period.

http://www.amazon.co...24430716&sr=8-1

I got it for six quid and it's 71 pounds now.

I think the reason Macross II and Plus continue to be released is because the rights have continued to be retained or transferred, and they were obtained legally through the original studios. I don't know about the UK release, but the rights for the US release (Clash of the Bionoids) were obtained from a company unauthorized to sell them in the first place, and those rights have probably never transferred. That could be the case with the UK release, I'm not sure.

It's likeI said.

Theonlythingwould workif theyupdatethe franchise; ShadowChronicleswasgood forapilot.

But usingoldmechsscrewedcool.

Well theycouldupgrade.

Let's face it, it was the 2000's version of Robotech II The Sentinels without ongoing comics and novels.

Edited by Einherjar

Let's face it, it was the 2000's version of Robotech II The Sentinels without ongoing comics and novels.

Speaking of Robotech II.

A distributor in 1996 brought the pilot to Brazil, but put the cover of Macross II.

Only recently corrected to relaunch on DVD. And tell by the way, the anime bad as hell...

Edited by Old_Nash

HG claims they won't interfere with Manga releasing Plus & II, and yet Manga has been handling the online distribution of Robotech, or at least was before Netflix, Youtube, & Hulu. Coincidence? :)

Tommy must be full of hot air then because there is no such thing as statue of limitations in trademark infringement.

HG claims they won't interfere with Manga releasing Plus & II, and yet Manga has been handling the online distribution of Robotech, or at least was before Netflix, Youtube, & Hulu. Coincidence? :)

Actually no, Manga has been handling Robotech DVD distribution in Europe since the first Robotech Remastered edition came out circa 2004.

I really doubt it that HG is turning a blind eye to Mac II & Plus distribution just because Manga happens to be playing ball with them with the distribution of Robotech... is like saying that HG was willing to turn a blind eye on toycom's Mac Plus valkyrie distribution just because they were willing to do some Robotech veritechs too.

Has any one seen the amazing cover of the french Robotech Shadow Chronicles DVD???

For your pleasure :p

KGrHqJg4E6ZKEV7CDBOwb4v5lJQ60_12.jpg

Edit: typos

Edited by waters7

Tommy must be full of hot air then because there is no such thing as statue of limitations in trademark infringement.

Actually no, Manga has been handling Robotech DVD distribution in Europe since the first Robotech Remastered edition came out circa 2004.

I really doubt it that HG is turning a blind eye to Mac II & Plus distribution just because Manga happens to be playing ball with them with the distribution of Robotech... is like saying that HG was willing to turn a blind eye on toycom's Mac Plus valkyrie distribution just because they were willing to do some Robotech veritechs too.

Has any one seen the amazing cover of the french Robotech Shadow Chronicles DVD???

For your pleasure :p

KGrHqJg4E6ZKEV7CDBOwb4v5lJQ60_12.jpg

Edit: typos

I think HG could make a claim and go to court for it, but at this point, just about any judge would look at the case, look at the history, and dismiss it. If HG let the distribution of II and Plus go for this long, they can't simply say, "hey, you can't do that, we're going to sue over that." They wouldn't be able to get any monies from it, and in the end, if all that came out of it was a C&D, it would only make HG look bad. I don't think HG wants anymore bad publicity, or scrutiny from its fans, and the fans that like both Robotech and Macross. While many in this thread don't give an ounce to Robotech, the moderates who like both may get a little T.O.'ed at that sorta decision.

As for the cover of the French DVD, that is one of the stranger covers I've seen. And what the hell is she shooting out of her hand? I wonder if the French just thought the original cover was sh!t, and decided to do something different?

The thing that caught my attention wasn't the chick with the over exposed chest, it's the words "Prestige Edition". WTH? You mean there's more than 1 edition floating down there in South America?