The Game

Jefuemon

In the book "Galactic Pot Healer" by Phillip K. Dick, one of his characters plays what's called The Game. In it, you think of a famous movie, song, or book title, and machine translate it into another language. Then have ANOTHER DIFFERENT machine translation back into your original language. Post the result, and see if anyone can guess what the original title was.

"Monomanedori to kill"

Since I'm starting, I'll tell how I did it. From English to Japanese using Excite translator, then back into English using Google translate.

What title am I thinking of? (I probably won't be able to reply for 24 hours or so, so think up some ones of your own, too!)

Edited by Jefuemon

My radio station sometimes has cool quizzes like this. They machine translate the lyrics of songs into nonsensical Japanese and you have to guess what song it is. I correctly guessed a truly mangled version of "Eye of the Tiger" by Survivor, but didn't manage to call in to win the prize, as usual.

OK I've got one.

"Die eagerly"

:lol:

Sucker Punch

hmmm...

sucker punch?

correct!

not sure which translator is more eccentric so i tried another example. using excite to japanese then google back to english, i get "$ 1 silver". if use google first then excite, it gives "man of steel", which should be a very easy one to get.

if i ran sucker punch through google first, then excite, it gives "a sudden punch"

not sure if that proves google is better, but it leaves me with the impression that it is more literal, whereas excite takes more liberties on "creative" interpretation.

... Excite still exists?

I think Excite remained fairly popular in Japan. At the very least, for a long time they had the best Japanese machine translation software of any of the search engines (I think Google's is probably better now).

Edited by JELEINEN

I'm actually really good at these.

"To Kill a Mockingbird".

:p

Yes, it was that. Nice to see people carrying on. Some good head scratchers here!

Blade Runner?

nope. blade runner comes through the double translation. but yes, the film is sci-fi

actually, it's surprises me how most of the titles i try come through unscathed, and those that don't, have a key word intact which gives it away.

here's an easier one: Infamous Fakes

I gots one:

"British's patient"

um, The English Patient?