The WWE and Pro-Wrestling Thread

areaseven

An update on Brock Lesnar leaving the WWE, from TOPWRESTLING.com:

While it may seem to everyone that Brock Lesnar decided to tell the WWE that he was leaving at the last Smackdown taping before Wrestlemania, Brock actually informed Vince McMahon of his decision two weeks ago. Vince wanted Lesnar to give the matter a week and think about it first, so when Lesnar came back to Vince a week later and said he hadn't changed his mind, Vince finally said ok.

Some of you may know that Brock Lesnar was set to beat Goldberg at Wrestlemania 20, but because the WWE was angrier at Brock leaving than Goldberg leaving, they decided to change the finish and let Goldberg pick up the win. Brock's personal life also hit a bump in the road because of Lesnar's decision. Brock has been dating Sable for a while now, and when she heard about his decision to leave the WWE, they broke up. However, they have worked things out between each other and are back together as a couple.

Brock was also very embarrassed and pissed off about the reaction that he recieved from the fans in MSG during his match at Wrestlemania. Once he got to the back, he left the arena and didn't attend the post-Wrestlemania party that the WWE held afterwards. Many of Brock's friends believe that the whole "I want to try out for the NFL" reason for his leaving the WWE is nothing by an excuse for Lesnar to part ways with the company. Sources say that Brock has gotten fed up with all of the political games that go on backstage and wanted no part of it anymore.

More on Kurt Angle's condition:

Things don't look good in regards to the current medical situation involving Kurt Angle. A lot of people in the WWE are looking back at the experimental surgery that Angle underwent so that he would be able to come back in eight weeks instead of one full year if he had gone with the spinal fusion surgery that many of the other WWE superstars have had done (i.e. "Stone Cold" Steve Austin, Chris Benoit, Rhyno, Lita, Edge, etc). At the time, the surgery was praised as a miracle and a sucess but now that Kurt is starting to feel numbness in his hands once again due to his neck problems, things don't appear to be as positive.

The WWE's greatest fear is that Angle could be forced to retire from wrestling if he went for a second neck surgery. On the heels of both Goldberg & Brock Lesnar leaving the company, the loss of Angle would hit the company very hard.

hitmancover.jpg

Hitman Hart: Wrestling With Shadows

Trimark Home Video, 1998 (Out of Print)

Directed by Paul Jay

Rated R for violence, mature situations and profanity.

"I am the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be."

It was supposed to be a film biography on then-WWF World Heavyweight Champion Bret "Hitman" Hart, who had just signed a 20-year contract with the company. But when the camera started rolling, little did director Paul Jay realize that he was capturing the fall of professional wrestling as we know it. Facing a long losing streak at the hands of WCW, the WWF was taking drastic measures to regain the upper hand at the ratings war. Despite the company's change of atmosphere from colorful and family-oriented federation to dark and racy, Hart wanted no part of Vince's ideals. Vince opted to void Hart's contract and let him jump to WCW. In exchange, Hart would leave the WWF with dignity through a win on his last WWF pay-per-view match at Survivor Series in 1997. But in the end, in his home country of Canada, Bret Hart was screwed of his title, his career and his loyalty to the WWF.

There are many documentaries on professional wrestling that are available at your rental store. But next to Barry W. Blaustein's masterpiece Beyond the Mat, no documentary captures the realism of sports entertainment the way Wrestling With Shadows does. (I'd also say The Monday Night War, but it's pretty biased, as it's WWE-produced.) As the title implies, Wrestling With Shadows focuses on the life of Bret Hart, a second-generation wrestler and one of Canada's greatest performers in the squared circle. Outside the ring, Hart talks about his days before lacing up his boots - his high-school days, his early dreams of becoming an aspiring film director, etc. You also see his family and his backstage interaction with other WWF superstars. But what really takes the cake in this documentary is the fateful night in Montreal, Canada, where Vince ordered an impromptu end to Hart's title defense against Shawn Michaels. No one outside the WWF had the guts to capture what happened backstage after the show ended, but it can all be seen here, including Hart's altercation with Michaels. (Unfortunately, you won't see Hart punching Vince's lights out on this video.)

The film ends with Hart talking about his divorce and his jump to WCW. Too bad the documentary doesn't cover his years in WCW, where he was forced to retire after Goldberg gave him a severe concussion.

Wrestling With Shadows is out of print, but still available at Amazon.com and a few other stores. Why it's not on DVD is a good question.

Rating: A

Reference

Bret Hart's Official Homepage

I am amazed. I thouroughly enjoyed Smackdown tonight! For once. The gauntlet was well done. The fights were rather good IMO. Guerrrero and Rey Mysterio's fight was great I hoped for a while they would let Mysterio take the belt, which he came so close to doing at times, even if it would have been only for a week or so. Good Stuff. I found myself not missing Lesnar very much.

And finally in the last minutes, Undertaker came out, stepped in the ring, and Mysterio and Eddie shoved Heyman towards Undertaker, who promptly recieved a well deserved tombstone.

A good final Smackdown before they shake up the line-ups next week. I really wonder how it will all end up after this.

I am guessing Kane and Undertaker will end up on the same show, that way the rivalry can continue with those two, and Kane can rise up again to his old level again. This is my hope at least.

THe last match was indeed pretty good.

A new Raw? A new Smackdown? A NEW WWE?

I wonder who is going to end up where (please bring SCSA back to Smackdown)? :blink:

....and Undertaker still looked more of the Biker UT than Old School UT. :ph34r:

....and Undertaker still looked more of the Biker UT than Old School UT. :ph34r:

Indeed he does, but I think he's undergoing a slow transition from the biker look to the old-school Dead Man. Until his hair is fully grown, we'll have to get used to his current look for now.

....and Undertaker still looked more of the Biker UT than Old School UT.  :ph34r:

Indeed he does, but I think he's undergoing a slow transition from the biker look to the old-school Dead Man. Until his hair is fully grown, we'll have to get used to his current look for now.

At least he was doing the rolling eyes bit again. :)

I was waiting for someone to put a hurt an Hayman finally. I figured APA would do it, but it was a perfect moment for the end of the current smackdown lineup letting Undertaker do it.

I was waiting for someone to put a hurt on Heyman finally. I figured APA would do it, but it was a perfect moment for the end of the current smackdown lineup letting Undertaker do it.

Unfortunately, Heyman firing Faarooq goes beyond the storyline. Earlier today, Ron Simmons was officially released from the WWE. Looks like the APA is gone for good. :(

Earlier today, Ron Simmons was officially released from the WWE. Looks like the APA is gone for good. :(

Whoa. I wonder if Ron some kind of drama between himself and Vinnie Mac. :blink: I always thought he'd end up going to RAW (during next week's lottery) and if they were going to disband the APA they should have done it at WM XX. :(

I wonder what'll be Bradshaw's new angle?

Man, I didn't know he was actually leaving. I thought the firing was Heymen talking out of his ass and Faarooq would show up Monday no problem :( That sucks. I liked APA.

I was waiting for someone to put a hurt on Heyman finally.  I figured APA would do it, but it was a perfect moment for the end of the current smackdown lineup letting Undertaker do it.

Unfortunately, Heyman firing Faarooq goes beyond the storyline. Earlier today, Ron Simmons was officially released from the WWE. Looks like the APA is gone for good. :(

There were rumors a few months ago of Ron Simmons retiring. Something to do with his wife being ill. But the APA had lost its edge awhile back. Especially since Bradshaw became a Fox news analyst for the stock market and changed his look. Still one of my favorite tag teams though, they'll be missed.

Slighty OT to the current conversation about the APA but has anybody noticed that while Brock Lesnar's profile has been deleted from WWE.com, Goldberg's mysteriously remains.... :blink:

Just another WWE admin error or something more to it? :unsure:

Apparently HHH is going to Smackdown according to my brother, so it will become the new HHH show. Don't know about the rest.

Don't know about the rest.

Smackdown got Mark Jindrak, Triple H, Spike Dudley, Renee Dupri', Rob Van Dam and Theodore Long...

Raw got Rhyno, Nidia, Taijiri, Heyman, Edge and Shelton Benjamin

Haha, Heyman got drafted by Raw and promptly quit. Bye-bye. In the words of the video store guy in Clerks a sarcastic "You'll be missed." :lol:

I wonder who else is going to be traded come tomorrow night.

From wwe.com

STATEMENT FROM MR. MCMAHON

Earlier tonight, Paul Heyman - the former General Manager of SmackDown! - was drafted by RAW and subsequently quit. Therefore, due to the absence of a GM on SmackDown!, I have extended the trading deadline to 9 p.m. ET Tuesday, at which time a new GM of SmackDown! will be announced, and that new GM of SmackDown! will in fact announce all trades.

Thank you.

So what did I miss? Did only a few wrestlers get "traded"?

Yeah, pretty much what UN Spacy listed. I was expecting more of a shakeup of both rosters, but I won't complain becasue HHH is gone. IMO, RAW has the better roster of the two "brands" now.

So what did I miss? Did only a few wrestlers get "traded"?

Yeah, pretty much what UN Spacy listed. I was expecting more of a shakeup of both rosters, but I won't complain becasue HHH is gone. IMO, RAW has the better roster of the two "brands" now.

What happened with RVD and Booker T's tag belts? Kinda sucks that Rob is on Smackdown now.

Well HHH back to RAW and Kurt Angle the new GM of Smackdown

Over on WWE.com, they announced that the new General Manager of Smackdown is none other than Kurt Angle. Obviously this is a way for Angle to remain on TV and in the thick of things while recovering from his recent neck injury.

Also on WWE.com, they announced the following trade news:

-Triple H was traded back to Raw. In exchange for "The Game", Smackdown got The Dudley Boyz & Booker T.

-Miss Jackie & Rico have been sent over to Smackdown. In exchange for the pair, A-Train and Chuck Palumbo have been sent to Raw.

More news on the brand trades as it develops!

Credit: PWInsider.com

What the f*ck? So this whole "HHH gets traded" crap was fake? What a crock. :angry:

Yup. Stupid WWE writers (I wonder if this was Heyman's doing) but at least we get Booker T (who I enjoy way more than Triple H) and RVD. B))

I wonder if Angle is still going to be a heel as GM. :ph34r:

I can't believe they put A Train and Chuck Palumbo on RAW. Heck, I can't belive they are still trying to sell those two in the first place. If the WWE wanted to trim some fat, then those two would have been a perfect place to start.

I can't believe they put A Train and Chuck Palumbo on RAW. Heck, I can't belive they are still trying to sell those two in the first place. If the WWE wanted to trim some fat, then those two would have been a perfect place to start.

Word! Maybe they will have them feud with Rosie and the hurricane. :rolleyes: That's 4 big wastes of TV time. :angry:

Word! Maybe they will have them feud with Rosie and the hurricane. :rolleyes: That's 4 big wastes of TV time. :angry:

The Hurricane I don't mind so much, but with all the other cruiserweights on Smackdown he's pretty much hung out to dry. But as things are now, the writers have come up with this "hillarious" gimmick with Rosie and they don't have a clue what to do with it.