The WWE and Pro-Wrestling Thread

areaseven

WOOHOOO! Trips off of Smackdown! So all my ritual sacrificing of small animals was not in vain! :ph34r:

Oh yeah. But at least we get the FIVE TIME FIVE TIME WCW CHAMPION Booker T. B))

Holy moly. Triple H fought Eddie Guerrero this Monday at Raw?

What the heck did they do to Booker T's intro music? :(

WOOHOOO! Trips off of Smackdown! So all my ritual sacrificing of small animals was not in vain!  :ph34r:

Oh yeah. But at least we get the FIVE TIME FIVE TIME WCW CHAMPION Booker T. B))

Holy moly. Triple H fought Eddie Guerrero this Monday at Raw?

What the heck did they do to Booker T's intro music? :(

It's Vinny Mac's insane idea that Wrestlers can preform music, called WWE Originals. At least they gave Jericho his old music back, his song from that album was terrible, hopefully they give Booker T his old music back soon. :(

btmcover.jpg

Beyond the Mat: Ringside Special Edition

Imagine Entertainment/Universal Pictures, 1999, 2004

Written and directed by Barry W. Blaustein

Not Rated. Contains graphic violence, drug use and profanity.

"Tonight, we have a chance to say, 'Yeah, you're right. We're too extreme. We're too wild. We're too out of control. We're too full of our own sh*t.' Or we have a chance to say, 'Hey, f*ck you, you're wrong! F*ck you, we're right!' Because you have all made it to the dance. 'Cause believe me, this is the dance!" - Paul Heyman

Professional wrestling - it's scripted, choreographed and filled with cheesy acting. Yet over the past 50 years, it's been an important part of American television and pop culture. But what makes it attract so many viewers every year? Why do others pursue a career in banging other people's heads against a ring turnbuckle? Hollywood screenplay writer and long-time wrestling fan Barry W. Blaustein (Coming to America, The Nutty Professor) goes behind the scenes to find out what makes sports entertainment tick in Beyond the Mat.

"Put me on the card. Let me bring some asses to the seats. Pay me. I don't care if I'm the champ. I don't care if I'm the waterboy. Just let me be part of the show, and I'll do my share." - Jake "The Snake" Roberts

By itself, the original R-rated release has been hailed by critics (whether or not they liked wrestling) as the most important documentary on professional wrestling, thanks to its in-depth coverage of the WWF and ECW, as well as interviews with WWE owner Vince McMahon and former ECW owner Paul Heyman. BTM also chronicled the everyday lives of wrestlers Terry Funk, Mick Foley, New Jack and Jake "The Snake" Roberts. Viewers discovered some interesting developments between these wrestlers. For example, Roberts has a daughter who hates him, not just because of his drug addiction, but because of the fact that his wrestling career prevented him from being a father to her. Foley actually has an attractive wife who just wishes for the sake of their kids that he would stop his hardcore antics (especially in front of them on the "I Quit!" match against The Rock at the Royal Rumble in 1999). Funk is a caring family man fearing retirement due to severely bad knees (of course, everyone's lost count on how many time's he's come out of retirement). Heyman's ECW production setup is no different from "Wayne's World." The atmosphere backstage is completely different from what you see on TV: The Rock, Stone Cold Steve Austin and Mankind chatting about their families, former WWF booker Vince Russo lecturing about selling injuries, etc.

"My mother was 13 years old when I was born. Why? Because my dad raped a little girl that was in a room asleep. My dad was going out with my mother's mother. There you go. There's some bones for Jake the Snake." - Jake "The Snake" Roberts

This director's cut adds a completely new intro, where a young Blaustein watches a live wrestling show and sees a wrestler going home with his wife afterwards. Of course, at that age, you'd also wonder what happened to that wrestler's in-ring character. This release also rightfully earns the title of "The Movie Vince McMahon DOESN'T Want You to See!", as it has additional interviews from former WWF superstars (skillfully edited to contrast what Vinnie Mac and the WWF staff say about the company). Justin Credible says that WWF demoted him to USWA because he wanted time off with his wife. Afa the Wild Samoan was fired for taking a day off because his wife gave birth. Koko B. Ware and an unnamed executive were canned for a backstage altercation. There's even a very friendly conversation between Foley and The Rock backstage after the "I Quit!" match.

In addition to the previously unreleased footage, BTM: Ringside Special Edition features an exclusive dinner interview with Mick Foley and Jesse "The Body" Ventura. Plus, additional commentaries by Blaustein and Terry Funk.

Whether or not you watch wrestling, you have to check out Beyond the Mat. However, if you are a wrestling fan, you must buy this DVD. It's definitely well worth it.

BTW, the movie still uses the WWF Attitude logos. I'm surprised that neither the WWE nor the rabid Pandas have sued Universal yet.

Rating: A+

Reference

The Internet Movie Database

Edited by areaseven

If you can't stand today's wrestling shows, how about going back to old-school pro-wrestling on your cable TV? This year, the WWE will launch a premium channel called WWE 24/7: WWE on Demand, featuring over 75,000 hours of footage from the WWF, WCW and ECW, plus old-school material from AWA, Jim Crockett Promotions and Smoky Mountain Wrestling.

Now if only they'd also include FMW matches...

Earlier tonight on RAW:

- Triple-H made his return by clobbering Hurricane from behind. He then started jabbering about being the "franchise" (probably to mock Shane Douglas).

- At the locker room, La Resistance and Garrison Cade told Tajiri to spit mist at the first person entering the room. Coachman got vicimized and told Bischoff on him. As a result, Bischoff issued a no-DQ match between Tajiri and Kane. Surprisingly, Tajiri won by count-out, but later on paid the price with a chokeslam before Edge ran in and speared Kane.

- Rhyno squashed Lance Storm. Wow...is the WWE actually giving Rhyno a push?

- Chris Benoit now hails from Atlanta, GA. What a load of crap. It's just the WWE's attempt at stealing the Edmonton crowd away from Benoit at Backlash.

- HHH attacked Shelton Benjamin for disrespecting him. Austin told Shelton to challenge HHH. During the match, Flair and Benoit appear at ringside. And for the first time ever, HHH put someone over on RAW by jobbing to Shelton.

- Unfortunately, that means one thing: HHH is regaining the title on the next PPV. :angry:

Edited by areaseven

Watching Shelton win was priceless at least. He gave a good match.

Could this mean they're going to push him now too? He was kicking butt during his last smackdown as well during the gauntlet.

I also enjoyed Jericho insulting Trish. It's a stupid angle, dumb story, but that was funny at least.

Edited by Anubis

Watching Shelton win was priceless at least. He gave a good match.

Could this mean they're going to push him now too? He was kicking butt during his last smackdown as well during the gauntlet.

I also enjoyed Jericho insulting Trish. It's a stupid angle, dumb story, but that was funny at least.

The Jericho bit was the best thing on RAW last night. Trish shows her true colors lol

and Shelton winning was cool too.

I gotta tell ya, I see a lot of Angle's influence when I see either Benjamin or Haas work... looks like being part of Team Angle paid off for these two. I'm still waiting for one of them (probably Benjamin) to bust out the run-up-the-corner-ropes belly to belly suplex ala Kurt.

Trouble in the skies for the WWE. And everyone thought William Regal was every flight attendant's worst nightmare:

Credit the following to http://www.azcentral.com which is owned by the Arizona Republic and also News Channel 12 in Phoenix,AZ

Flight attendants accuse wrestlers of sexual harassment advertisement

Craig Harris

The Arizona Republic

Mar. 30, 2004 01:45 PM

Three professional wrestlers and World Wrestling Entertainment are being sued in Maricopa County by flight attendants who allege the wrestlers sexually harassed them aboard a chartered luxury airplane.

The suit, filed late Monday in Superior Court, accuses Ric "The Nature Boy" Flair, Scott "The Diamond Stud" Hall and Dustin "Golddust" Rhodes of "extreme and outrageous" behavior on a return flight from Europe aboard Phoenix-based SportsJet on May 5, 2002.

The suit alleges Flair wore only a jeweled cape, flashed his penis and forced a flight attendant to touch his crotch. It claims that Hall asked a flight attendant to give him oral sex and licked the face of another attendant. Runnels, the suit says, grabbed one attendant and said they were going to have sex.

The suit also said other wrestlers on the return flight from Europe repeatedly groped the attendants.

Calls to World Wrestling Entertainment Inc., based in Stamford, Conn., were not returned. An official for SportsJet could be reached for comment.

SportsJet also is being investigated over the allegations by the federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.

lol ya read that earlier and Mr Austin is in trouble with the law again

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/0329041austin1.html

MARCH 29--Wrestler Stone Cold Steve Austin (real name: Steven Williams) allegedly assaulted his girlfriend during a dispute last week at the grappler's Texas home, according to this San Antonio Police Department report. Tess Broussard, 37, told cops Friday that she met with the athlete to discuss the couple's troubled year-long relationship. But Williams (referred to in the report as "SP," for suspect) became irritable and yelled at Broussard, "I'm tired of talking about this crap. Shut up!" Broussard (referred to as "C," for complainant) claimed that Williams then grabbed her, and she began struggling with the 6' 3" wrestler, who eventually threw her to the ground. Broussard landed on her hands and knees, and later told officers she had injured her right hand. Broussard provided a written statement to cops, who photographed her injuries and are now investigating the incident. This is not the first time the belligerent 39-year-old World Wrestling Entertainment star has been accused of injuring a woman outside the ring. In November 2002, Williams pleaded no contest to a misdemeanor charge of assault for striking his then-wife during an argument. He was fined $1000, sentenced to a year's probation, and ordered to perform 80 hours of community service and attend a domestic violence counseling course. (2 pages)

Edited by dejr8bud

Could this be the end of the Spin-a-roony?

WWE News: Booker T possibly retiring from wrestling due to back problems?

Booker T has been telling those close to him that he is extremely happy with the upcoming push that he is going to receive as a heel on SmackDown!, however, he plans to retire sooner than later.

While the push may be enough to keep Book around for at least another year or two, he is still plagued by back problems that could eventually lead to the end of his career. The only thing that Booker T can do is try to avoid another injury that could aggravate his back and force an earlier than expected retirement.

General Manager Kurt Angle is looking to give out the first-ever Great American Award. The winner of this award will also be the No. 1 Contender for the WWE Title. Who do you want to win?

-I voted for the FIVE TIME FIVE TIME FIVE TIME WCW Champion. But seeing as how John Cena is the most popular out of the four, he'll probably be the number one contender next week.

General Manager Kurt Angle is looking to give out the first-ever Great American Award. The winner of this award will also be the No. 1 Contender for the WWE Title. Who do you want to win?

-I voted for the FIVE TIME FIVE TIME FIVE TIME WCW Champion. But seeing as how John Cena is the most popular out of the four, he'll probably be the number one contender next week.

Ain't gonna happen. Cena will be cheated out of the tournament - either by Angle himself or Rene Dupree and his poodle Fifi. Booker T. might win, but all bets will be on John "Bradshaw" Layfield.

Speaking of Bradshaw, is it me, or is his stockbrocker gimmick going nowhere? I remember first seeing this guy as Justin "Hawk" Bradshaw back in the mid-90s. Ever since then, Bradshaw's always been viewed by fans as a Redneck, whether he carried a branding iron (first gimmick mentioned above) or spent most of the show chugging beer (APA with Faarooq). The whole stockbroker gimmick may reflect his real-life persona, but it just doesn't work for a Texan like him (he'd be better off as an oil tycoon, but from what I know, the oil in Texas dried up a long time ago). The only way I see Bradshaw getting this gimmick over is bringing in Ted DiBiase or Irwin R. Schyster (Mike Rotundo) as his manager. Hell, why not even bring them both in and have the three reform Money, Inc.?

As for RVD and Charlie Haas getting eliminated via double count-out...what a load of crap! RVD's taken heavier bumps than that, yet he's managed to get back in the ring before the 10-count.

The only way I see Bradshaw getting this gimmick over is bringing in Ted DiBiase or Irwin R. Schyster (Mike Rotundo) as his manager.

How come I get the strange feeling that this is the second (or fourth) coming of the Million Dollar Man? I sure hope I don't see his Hispanic limo driver acting like Virgil (of Ted Dibiase fame) next week.

Maybe they'll start pulling people out of the crowd and giving them money for pedestrian contests. :lol:

Maybe they'll start pulling people out of the crowd and giving them money for pedestrian contests.  :lol:

WWE attempted that with Tiger Ali Singh and it failed.

I betcha that would have worked today. They could have made Tiger a rich Saudi playboy/prince. Crowds would H-A-T-E him.

I betcha that would have worked today. They could have made Tiger a rich Saudi playboy/prince. Crowds would H-A-T-E him.

My thoughts exactly. Too bad he severed his ties with the WWE due to "racial discrimination" (there were reports of wrestlers using his turban as a trash bin and then calling him a taxi driver).

Speaking of Bradshaw, is it me, or is his stockbrocker gimmick going nowhere? I remember first seeing this guy as Justin "Hawk" Bradshaw back in the mid-90s. Ever since then, Bradshaw's always been viewed by fans as a Redneck, whether he carried a branding iron (first gimmick mentioned above) or spent most of the show chugging beer (APA with Faarooq). The whole stockbroker gimmick may reflect his real-life persona, but it just doesn't work for a Texan like him (he'd be better off as an oil tycoon, but from what I know, the oil in Texas dried up a long time ago). The only way I see Bradshaw getting this gimmick over is bringing in Ted DiBiase or Irwin R. Schyster (Mike Rotundo) as his manager. Hell, why not even bring them both in and have the three reform Money, Inc.?

Bradshaw lost his edge ever since he changed his look and became a FOX stock analyst. He was always into stocks before but when he cleaned up for FOX TV it all went down hill. APA went down the toliet. Kinda like when Metallica cut off all of their hair lol

Edited by dejr8bud

Last night on RAW:

- William Regal makes his return, only to become the manager of Bischoff's retarded nephew Eugene. How many retarded wrestlers do we need? We already have one running around with a sledge hammer.

- Could Shelton Benjamin be the next 1-2-3 Kid?

Edited by areaseven

The latest WWE Superstars to get the pink slip:

WWE has officially released Terri Runnels and Sean O'Haire.

Neither release comes as a surprise, as WWE had no real use for either of them. Sean O'Haire was in the midst of a push alongside Roddy Piper, but once Piper was released after the HBO comments, Sean O'Haire's WWE career and use dwindled. He was actually sent to OVW as well, which always means that you could be in jeopardy of being let go. WWE had planned to release him for a while, and the word had been going around since last week.

Terri was simply not used lately, and WWE felt it would be best to part ways with the diva. It was reported on WWE.com that she and WWE parted ways.

Also, what's with these hometown changes?

The confusing hometown changes continue on Raw. Gail Kim was announced as to being from Korea, not Toronto, Ontario as it reads on the WWE website and as it has been announced several times. They are announcing Chris Jericho is from New York City despite the website still listing him from Canada and as many noticed at WrestleMania, they said Chris Benoit was from Atlanta, GA instead of Canada. The interesting thing about Benoit is that it says “Now residing in Atlanta” on the official WWE website instead of his hometown Edmonton.

The confusing hometown changes continue on Raw. Gail Kim was announced as to being from Korea, not Toronto, Ontario as it reads on the WWE website and as it has been announced several times. They are announcing Chris Jericho is from New York City despite the website still listing him from Canada and as many noticed at WrestleMania, they said Chris Benoit was from Atlanta, GA instead of Canada. The interesting thing about Benoit is that it says “Now residing in Atlanta” on the official WWE website instead of his hometown Edmonton.

I assume that everybody noticed what all three of those wrestlers had in common? :rolleyes:

Yeah, we love you too, Vinnie Mac. :angry:

I assume that everybody noticed what all three of those wrestlers had in common? :rolleyes:

Yeah, we love you too, Vinnie Mac. :angry:

What's with the new anti-Canada spin?

I'd be pissed if I lived in Canada. There's no need to spontaneously change where characters are from, especially as some (JERICHO) have touted they canadian homes for years now.

We all remember the Canadian discrimination victim fiasco. That was almost as bad as La Resistance now.

Wonder who thought this was a good idea now?

Some Austin news. Take it with a grain of salt of course..

Various reports have been making rounds with regards to Steve Austin's absence from RAW, and his status with WWE. The below report has the full information straight from backstage, and covers all the issues.

For the past few weeks, WWE has been negotiating a new contract with Steve Austin. Austin recently hired a non-wrestling, high-powered lawyer for representation, so the negotiations have been quite intense. Although the lawyer is not used by many other wrestlers, he is familiar with the various contracts of other superstars, so definitely had his homework done, and came in with tough preparations for the negotiations.

Reports indicate that this was the most aggressive process WWE has seen in a long time. Since buying out WCW, WWE has had almost full control of most negotiations, so the fact that Austin's lawyer was playing hardball was certainly unexpected and unusual.

As reported, Austin's lawyer and Vince got into a huge argument on Friday, and the meeting ended very badly. This was in addition to the fact that WWE was upset over the domestic incident, so Austin's status with WWE is not the most favorable right now.

Apparently, the main issue was that Austin wanted more control over what outside projects he could partake in, and Vince would not budge. As with The Rock's early acting jobs, Vince wanted a cut of Austin's profits; plus, in Austin's case, wanted complete control over what Austin did outside of WWE.

The latest word is that no new talks are scheduled between WWE and Steve Austin, but if that changes, we'll be sure to provide the latest news!

PWInsider.com Elite

I knew it. I F*C*I*G knew it.

It's only ten minutes into Smackdown and Bradshaw is ALREADY OFFERING the crowd money.

The task?

$1000 for a crowd member to wax the hood of this car (within 60 seconds). It also didn't help with all the Hispanic jokes. Yikes! :p

Didn't I tell you guys. He's the second coming of Ted DiBiase.

Didn't I tell you guys. He's the second coming of Ted DiBiase.

We saw that coming 100 miles away.

BTW, it seems that the WWE is actually listening to our radio program. My colleague mentioned that the only way Booker T. will get over as a heel is to turn against RVD. And that's just what he did on tonight's episode.

Meanwhile, could the return of ECW be near?

Due to the terrible ratings the show has been getting, WWE has decided that it will cancel Confidential in the coming weeks. A few episodes may still air, but do note that the show will be removed from Spike's schedule soon.

One issue this brings up, however, is what WWE will put in the Saturday night/11PM slot. WWE's deal with Viacom requires them to produce a show for that timeslot, so they will have to come up with something.

WWE has not yet decided what the replacement show will be, but it is safe to say that WWE is getting closer and closer to the much-rumored ECW return in that timeslot. Depending on when Confidential is actually removed from the airwaves, WWE may have to run some filler shows first before determining on where they want to go with that slot.

Again, nothing has been decided yet. While the ECW rumor certainly has more backing to it now, it's not confirmed.

Last night on RAW:

- After losing to Christian due to interference last week, Tajiri demanded a match against Jonathan Coachman at Backlash. Coach, however, wanted to see if the Japanese Buzzsaw was worthy to fight him; so he brought in a masked ninja and issued a challenge. If Tajiri defeated the ninja, he would get his match. Tajiri destroyed the ninja with his trademark kick to the head and unmasked the opponent to reveal his true identity. It was Al Snow after all.

- Three years after being fired for possessing marijuana and some drugs deemed illegal in Canada, Grandmaster Sexay made his return, only to be squashed by Kane.

- More stupid mishaps with Eugene. Vince, we already have a retarded wrestler - your son-in-law!

- Being the master of exposing other people's past incidents, Chris Jericho played old footage, proving that Trish Stratus really is a female dog.

- Johnny Nitro now uses the old WCW Monday Nitro theme as his entrance music. Hell, he even uses the Nitro logo on his TitanTron entrance screen. Another example of WWE exploiting its former rival company.

- Wow...WWE actually used FMW footage to show Mick Foley's hardcore reputation.

- Chris Benoit/Shawn Michaels/Shelton Benjamin/Mick Foley def. Evolution after HBK landed some Sweet Chin Music on Randy Orton. This means that HBK will lose the triple-threat match this Sunday.

Now for my predictions on WWE Backlash:

World Heavyweight Championship - Triple-Threat

- Unfortunately, all odds will be on Triple-H. Having lost three consecutive matches means he'll win the title this Sunday. And what a way to degrade Benoit on his home turf.

Intercontinental Championship - Hardcore Rules

- Despite all the buildup on Foley, expect him to job once again to Randy Orton - even without Evolution in his corner.

Mixed Handicap - Chris Jericho vs. Christian & Trish Stratus

- Y2J will get his revenge on Christian and Trish.

Edge vs. Kane

- Broken hand and all, Edge will win this one.

WWE Women's Championship

- Good question. Lita's held the title only once. Is she ready to be champion for a second time? I'll just bet on Victoria.

Shelton Benjamin vs. Ric Flair

- Shelton may or may not win. But if Batista's in Ric's corner, then he can't win.

Tajiri vs. Jonathan Coachman

- Will Tajiri shut the Coach up? Chances are that Al Snow will interfere in this match and cost the Japanese Buzzsaw the match.

Edited by areaseven

This is absolutely unbelievable, especially for old-school wrestling fans:

In an ironic and interesting twist, the WWE has decided to name their June 27th PPV "The Great American Bash". The PPV will be held in Norfolk, VA, and the WWE is already started on promotion for the event. Torrie Wilson will be taking pictures dressed as Uncle Sam for an upcoming photo shoot to promote the Bash, and the event will be free to members of the military.

The Bash first came into being as a series of summer events held by Jim Crockett Promotions during the late 80's. During "The Great American Bash" on July 1988, the then-NWA Champion "The Nature Boy" Ric Flair defeated Lex Luger when the MD State Athletic Commission stopped the contest due to bleeding from Luger. That show was also the first NWA event to be available on PPV.

The Bash became a signature event for the NWA/WCW until 2000 when the company was bought by Vince McMahon. With all of the rumors about the WWE bringing back ECW, it's interesting that a WCW name like "The Great American Bash" pops up at this time. The PPV is part of two additional events that the WWE decided to add to their Pay-Per-View roster this year. The other extra PPV will take place on October 19th, 2004.

What next - Starrcade instead of Armageddon?

They've just announced a Smackdown taping for Winnipeg this July, but frankly my interest in paying to see the WWE in its current state is very unappealing. I'll wait and see how the Backlash turns out before I decide. If the results are anything like A7 is predicting (and I'm inclined to believe he's 90% right on his predictions) then forget it. And lets not forget their current "Canada is for heels only" bullshit.

Sorry, Vinnie Mac. You can't have my money.

well i'm chiming in late here and i'm not a huge wrestling fan but all i really have to say is....

NWO :ph34r:

After their disasterous breaking up (again) after their last apperance on WWE. I doubt they'll ever come back INTO the squared circle. Isn't Hall and Nash in another league? What ever happend to Hogan?

Aren't Jeff Jared, Sting, Steiners, etc. all in another league?

Any news on former Smackdown GM Heyman? :ph34r:

well i'm chiming in late here and i'm not a huge wrestling fan but all i really have to say is....

NWO  :ph34r:

After their disasterous breaking up (again) after their last apperance on WWE. I doubt they'll ever come back INTO the squared circle. Isn't Hall and Nash in another league? What ever happend to Hogan?

Aren't Jeff Jared, Sting, Steiners, etc. all in another league?

Any news on former Smackdown GM Heyman? :ph34r:

i don't know too much about the WWE but before they took over WCW that was my shiznit! who knows what happen to those dudes, but i'd like to see them back in the ring again.....big popa pump is your hook up!

Jeff Jared was one of my favorites back in the day before he went to WcW. I really liked the WWF during that time. I wish they brought him back. Also what ever happent o Scott Stiener? Did the WWE drop him or something?