Kawamori to give public lecture

Tochiro

Some one please ask him what he meant by the Macross 7 backlash....

Ever since he said it, I've been curious to know what he meant...;)

What is this Macross 7 backlash you mentioned(first I've ever heard of it) and does it have anything to do in context to cybernetics? Not that I can be there to ask it but I don't think I'd want to possibly embarrass anyone asking it be marked as that "otaku" geek.

What is this Macross 7 backlash you mentioned(first I've ever heard of it) and does it have anything to do in context to cybernetics? Not that I can be there to ask it but I don't think I'd want to possibly embarrass anyone asking it be marked as that "otaku" geek.

LOL. I can see it now:

KAWAMORI: "...And that concludes my talk on why robotics will play an invaluable role in our near-future ageing society, as seen from the perspectives of welfare, medicine and care-giving. Are there any questions?"

OTAKU: "YES, MR. HORY FROATING HEAD, IN EPISODE 33 OF MACROSS 7, WHAT DOES VEFFIDAS IMPLY WITH THE TAPPING OF THE DRUMSTICKS???! SHE TAPPED THEM EIGHT TIMES WHEN EVERYONE KNOWS SHE USUALLY DOES IT NINE TIMES!!! I BELIEVE SHE WAS TRYING TO DIVULGE THE SECRETS OF THE PROTOCULTURE BUT THEN THAT FLYING MONSTER CAME AND ATTACKED THE JAMMINGBIRDS, WHY OH WHY DID YOU NEVER FOLLOW UP ON THAT AAARRGHHHHH."

KAWAMORI: "Indeed... Anyone else?"

LOL. I can see it now:

KAWAMORI: "...And that concludes my talk on why robotics will play an invaluable role in our near-future ageing society, as seen from the perspectives of welfare, medicine and care-giving. Are there any questions?"

OTAKU: "YES, MR. HORY FROATING HEAD, IN EPISODE 33 OF MACROSS 7, WHAT DOES VEFFIDAS IMPLY WITH THE TAPPING OF THE DRUMSTICKS???! SHE TAPPED THEM EIGHT TIMES WHEN EVERYONE KNOWS SHE USUALLY DOES IT NINE TIMES!!! I BELIEVE SHE WAS TRYING TO DIVULGE THE SECRETS OF THE PROTOCULTURE BUT THEN THAT FLYING MONSTER CAME AND ATTACKED THE JAMMINGBIRDS, WHY OH WHY DID YOU NEVER FOLLOW UP ON THAT AAARRGHHHHH."

KAWAMORI: "Indeed... Anyone else?" "BOMBA!"

Edited by Keith

• 2 weeks later...

I was there, it was a really great symposium. Most of the talks were centred on applications of new robotic technology -- primarily the famous HAL suit -- in the welfare sectors, etc. As expected, the main issue is Japan's graying society. Some of the robots are already being used in rehabilitation exercises at hospitals, nursing homes, etc. Many of the presentations were extremely eye-opening.

Kawamori himself discussed possibilities of Avatar-like robots, that is, the combination of manual slave (remote-controlling, as seen in MacF with the EX-gear and 25) functions and sensory feedback technology. Basically, you could be in a classroom at school studying biology, and as a practical, you could control a tiny robot to communicate with bugs and things, to experience the ecosystem first-hand, from the perspective other than that of a human. He gave many examples, obviously the ultimate goal here is to raise awareness of deforestation and other forms of environmental damage, albeit from within our affluent society, thus making us realize that it is not some distant issue.

The most extreme example was when he suggested an integration with nanotechnology, where the "extended-self" robot you controlled could be the size of a white blood cell and thus you could inject it into yourself and witness (and participate in) the attack on a virus yourself.

Good stuff. I have photos which I will upload sometime later.

The HAL robot suit was of course the main star of the show, since the CEO of Cyberdyne is Professor Yoshiyuki Sankai of Tsukuba University, organizer and host of the entire conference. ^_^

Those who watched the special TV show which accompanied the Deculture edition of Macross Frontier back in Christmas 2007 would have seen him talk about HAL and the EX-gear. B))

Anyway, here are the different HAL types, on display at the lobby outside of the main hall.

post-1318-0-41946600-1299810904_thumb.jpg

post-1318-0-24481300-1299810907_thumb.jpg

post-1318-0-55185000-1299810910_thumb.jpg

Some pics are blurry, sorry about that.

Here's a close-up of one of the HALs:

post-1318-0-17871900-1299811334_thumb.jpg

Kawamori lecturing:

post-1318-0-26031100-1299811341_thumb.jpgpost-1318-0-81239700-1299811351_thumb.jpgpost-1318-0-68385500-1299811344_thumb.jpg

Here is the Kawamori-designed mini avatar-type robot. These are small enough to fit in the palm of your hand and can be controlled through interface with a HAL robot suit:

post-1318-0-59297000-1299811337_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately, we never saw videos of these in action, only photos.

So you can become a tiny robot and experience life in a community of insects.

post-1318-0-20401200-1299811348_thumb.jpg

Panel discussion and presentation:

post-1318-0-34359300-1299811355_thumb.jpgpost-1318-0-13747200-1299811359_thumb.jpg

That's me on the right getting my blood examined... without the need of a sample extraction.

post-1318-0-15747900-1299811331_thumb.jpg

Those who watched the special TV show which accompanied the Deculture edition of Macross Frontier back in Christmas 2007 would have seen him talk about HAL and the EX-gear. B))

That was a pretty awesome treat in that promo. Art = reality = art or something.

Anyway, here are the different HAL types, on display at the lobby outside of the main hall.

Cool. They've got a more portable, less exo-skeleton like model in the works.