Are VFs faster or slower in space? Kinda confused about this point.

Faster.

Simply because in deep space there isn't any atmosphere to act on the airframe to slow a VF down. So any acceleration is cumulative (obviously this is ignoring close proximity to large masses and needs for escape velocities.)

Now, if you're asking about engine output in space: then yes, that, too, is higher in space; again because of that pesky thing called air. VF engines have limitations put on them because they can propel the airframe SOOOOOOOOO fast that it'll melt.

For an idea of what heating due to high speed does to an airframe, I recommend looking up the Concorde and the Blackbird.

Was Guld in the UN Spacy prior to joining Project Super Nova?

As far as I know, no. He was a civilian engineer and pilot, mainly responsible for designing and flying the YF-21. I'm pretty sure that he was still a civilian while he participated in Supernova.

Are VFs faster or slower in space? Kinda confused about this point.

Without a resistant atmosphere, the VFs travel MUCH faster in outer space. The downside is that in space, their range is limited to the amount of propellant they can carry. In an atmosphere, they just use the air as propellant and can operate indefinitely. In space, they use the super packs both for increased thrust and armament, and as propellant storage.

Short answer: "Mac-ross," not "Muh-cross."

Long answer: All of the official English dubs that Big West has licensed have all pronounced Macross as "Mac-ross." Even the English dubs that were actually marketed towards the Japanese, such as Super Space Fortress Macross and Macross Plus International Edition, have all pronounced Macross as "Mac-ross." Since these releases were approved by Big West, I'm going with "Mac-ross" as the official English pronounciation.

I realize that ADV's English dub pronounces Macross as "Muh-cross," but since it wasn't approved by Big West, it's not canon in my book.

Hmmm, I knew I was right about the VFs. I was just confused because a Macross Mecha Manual entry for the YF-19 said something about the engines being 40-60% less powerful in space because of lack of air.

The question now is, how fast can they go in space? (let's just ignore orbital mechanics for now)

Howdy,

I used to be a somewhat regular on the old board and got away from Macross for a few years and finally realized there's a newer series out.

I did a search on this but can't seem to find a place to download/order/torrent the series. There's a mirrored version up on youtube that can probably get the job done but it never hurts to ask if anyone has any information.

Thanks!!

Hmmm, I knew I was right about the VFs. I was just confused because a Macross Mecha Manual entry for the YF-19 said something about the engines being 40-60% less powerful in space because of lack of air.

As listed on the M3: engines utilize air as coolant/propellant in atmosphere, but problems with cooling efficiency (attributed to exceeding output and melting the core) limit maximum thrust to 40% to 60% of thrust in space.

The question now is, how fast can they go in space? (let's just ignore orbital mechanics for now)

As listed on the M3: max cruise speed at 30,000+ m Mach 21+ [Mach 24+ (8.1 km/s)].

You guys do realize that Macross Mecha Manual got it's information from somewhere else, right?

http://macross.anime.net/wiki/YF-19#Powerplant

... and that ugly translation rears its ugly little head once more...

Hint: it helps make sense to look at the output per regime:

atmosphere: 42,700 kg

space: 67,500 [64,700] kg

Make better sense?

So if I'm reading this right the YF-19 can go just slightly more than orbital speed when out of atmosphere?

Which orbit? 100 km? 1000 km?

Have you factored in that there are two engines? The figures are instantaneous thrust? In the absence of friction, any output can be considered cumulative?

Komilia is the main character in the game Macross 2036 for PC Engine CD which was part of the same universe as Macross II I believe.

It is in the same universe, as a follow-on to DYRL. She also appears in the second game, Macross: Eternal Love Song, which is also for the PC Engine. Mikimoto did a character design for her for that game. If I remember correctly, her birthday is pushed back a few years in the MII-verse. She does show up once in the main timeline, standing in the upper-left corner of a Jenius family picture, which we see here.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/97/The_Jenius_Family.jpg

Pictures from both 2036 and ELS are here.

http://anime.geocities.jp/emiri_0624/macrooss_eternal_love.html

You guys do realize that Macross Mecha Manual got it's information from somewhere else, right?

Yeah, so did the Macross Compendium. What's your point?

It is in the same universe, as a follow-on to DYRL. She also appears in the second game, Macross: Eternal Love Song, which is also for the PC Engine. Mikimoto did a character design for her for that game. If I remember correctly, her birthday is pushed back a few years in the MII-verse.

Yep... in the Macross II continuity, the different order of events put forward by the movie and subsequent timeline pushed Komilia's date of birth back to 2019. So, at the time of her starring role as an adult in Macross 2036, she was 17 years old and not quite done with her pilot training course.

I'm pretty sure that Komilia is the one with short teal hair? If so... I have to ask out of sheer morbid curiosity: Why are there shots of her in a loose tanktop and panties?

's just a little bit of fan-service.

Yeah, so did the Macross Compendium. What's your point?

Lower the shields, man. I was defending your site.

I guess the next time someone points out a badly phrased translation that you've copied and pasted, you'll have to explain it yourself.

Short answer: "Mac-ross," not "Muh-cross."

Long answer: All of the official English dubs that Big West has licensed have all pronounced Macross as "Mac-ross." Even the English dubs that were actually marketed towards the Japanese, such as Super Space Fortress Macross and Macross Plus International Edition, have all pronounced Macross as "Mac-ross." Since these releases were approved by Big West, I'm going with "Mac-ross" as the official English pronounciation.

I realize that ADV's English dub pronounces Macross as "Muh-cross," but since it wasn't approved by Big West, it's not canon in my book.

YAY! So I'd picked the right one! Google hadn't been much help on that, as it seemed everyone had a different answer. But if ever in doubt on anything Mac ross.... ask here first!

Thanks, TheLoneWolf!

Edited by rotorhead

Lower the shields, man. I was defending your site.

I guess the next time someone points out a badly phrased translation that you've copied and pasted, you'll have to explain it yourself.

Chill, man. I know. I wasn't getting on your case, I was just making the point that the problem isn't the Macross Compendium's fault either... like the Macross Mecha Manual, it got its information from "somewhere else". Like every English-language Macross site, its information isn't just from other sources, it has to be filtered through a translator first. Wording slips like this happen because what flows naturally and logically in one language doesn't necessarily do so in others, and restructuring a sentence to retain its meaning while making it flow clearly and naturally in another language is something some translators struggle with.

(Incidentally, M3 isn't my site... I just provide the hosting and contribute the occasional bit of art stock or translation. It's Mr March's baby, I'm just the babysitter.)

I'd love to go in any correct some of those unclear areas, and maybe flesh out some of the entries with new material from Macross Frontier movie 2, etc. Talos and I have a bit of a list going, and I've got 216 new pieces of fan-art waiting to go up... but I wanna get Mr March's approval before I start poking around. I'd welcome your input on potential changes, since you do a lot more with main timeline stuff than I do.

I think the actual word "Macross" is said most often in Frontier, especially by Captain Wilder. Just listen to him.

IIRC, doesn't Global also use the "Mac-ross" pronunciation when he calls the Macross Attack in DYRL?

Also, I was wondering what information there was on the colony fleets. This is all I know so far.

Megaroad-01 [MIA-2016]

Megaroad-02

Megaroad-03

Megaroad-04

Megaroad-05

Megaroad-06

Megaroad-07

Megaroad-08

Megaroad-09

Megaroad-10

Megaroad-11

Megaroad-12

Megaroad-13 [Fleet lost, crew became Protodeviln slaves]

Megaroad-14

Megaroad-15

Megaroad-16

Megaroad-17

Megaroad-18

Megaroad-19

Megaroad-20

Megaroad-21

Megaroad-22

Megaroad-23

Megaroad-24 [Destroyed on Earth]

Megaroad-25 [Destroyed on Earth]

Macross 1

Macross 2

Macross 3

Macross 4

Macross 5 [ships destroyed on Planet Lux, 2045. Crew recovered by Macross 7]

Macross 6

Macross 7 [Engaged the Varauta and Protodeviln in 2045]

Macross 8

Macross 9

Macross 10

Macross 11 [still on-mission in 2059, had a brief encounter with the Vajra]

Macross 12

Macross 13 [Fleet status unknown, Battle 13 carrier destroyed in 2051]

Macross 14

Macross 15

Macross 16

Macross 17

Macross 18

Macross 19

Macross 20

Macross 21/Macross Galaxy [Fleet status unknown, Battle Galaxy carrier destroyed during Vajra Conspiracy]

Macross 22

Macross 23

Macross 24

Macross 25/Macross Frontier [Encountered the Vajra in 2059. Landed on Vajra home planet]

Also, I was wondering what information there was on the colony fleets. This is all I know so far.

's all a bit scattered and incomplete, to tell you the truth. We don't really have detailed information on more than the handful of those colony fleets that've put in appearances in various Macross titles. IIRC, Kawamori-sensei also said there were somewhere around 100 other, short-range expeditions kicking around as well. Other than the ones you've noted, Macross-9 was the chosen setting for an audio drama named Macross Generation, and the Macross Quarter-class ships from Macross-17 and Macross-23 put in a brief appearance in Macross Frontier: Sayonara no Tsubasa (at least, according to the movie's Official Complete Book and the coverage from Great Mechanics.DX 17). Macross-3 gets a brief mention via one of the characters in Macross VF-X2 who used to be a part of the local military there, and we briefly see Macross-1 (the shell-less one) in one of the pre-episode setting/continuity segments for the Macross 7 TV series.

You can find a few minor details (like launch dates) for certain fleets in the timeline section of the Macross Compendium, and a few details like certain planets being discovered and/or settled by specific fleets. Most of it is just a fairly large blank canvas upon which stories have yet to be painted.

Now another one!

A short hand term for the OverTechnology of super-light-velocity spatial displacement. Fold travel allows a spacecraft to enter super dimension space and traverse vast interstellar distances nearly instantaneously. A fold first swaps the location of the spacecraft with super dimension space and then swaps super dimension space with the space at the destination, depositing the spacecraft in the process. During the events of Super Dimension Fortress Macross, First Lieutenant Misa Hayase describes the passage of time during a fold as an hour passing in super dimension space equivalent to the passage of approximately ten days in normal space. When initiating a fold to super dimension space the term "fold in" is used. When a spacecraft arrives at the destination by departing super dimension space the term "defold" (or "fold out") is used. Space craft typically measure space folds in light-years, such as the 1,000 light year fold conducted by the Macross Frontier fleet to reach the Vajra homeworld in 2059.

This is the M3's Macrosspedia entry on space folding. The question I have is about the discrepancy between folding being near instantaneous and the thing about 1 hour in fold is ten days real time. So... how long does it take to get from Eden to Earth? To go 50 LY? 100 LY? 1,000 LY? I know, I know, I'm thinking about it too much but when I'm writing I like to have details.

This is the M3's Macrosspedia entry on space folding.

's more or less a direct quotation from the Compendium, but yes...

The question I have is about the discrepancy between folding being near instantaneous and the thing about 1 hour in fold is ten days real time. So... how long does it take to get from Eden to Earth? To go 50 LY? 100 LY? 1,000 LY? I know, I know, I'm thinking about it too much but when I'm writing I like to have details.

Eh... for the most part, Macross's creators have been relatively sparing with the details about the mechanics of fold travel. There's a decent bit about it in one of the technology sheets in Macross Chronicle, which did give a rough figure for the elapsed time for travel from Eden to Earth. As given, Eden is 11.7 light years from Earth... a trip that takes 18 to 24 hours real time and 1-2 jumps to make on average. Bear ye in mind, that's 18-24 hours of objective time in real space... since time passes slower in a fold jump, the ship and its crew would only actually experience a fraction of that time. Misa's formula from the series suggests that a crew traveling on the Earth-Eden run would only actually experience about five minutes of time during the 18 hour, 11.7ly flight. Macross Frontier puts forth a different, somewhat less severe fraction that would make the run into something more like a two-and-a-half hour commuter flight. This is by no means an absolute, however... fold travel seems to be affected by a number of factors, like the route taken and the spatial disruptions called fold faults, which can add time to the trip. Depiction of distance is usually too vague to come up with any alternative measures.

Either way, fold travel is fast... it's virtually instantaneous over distances that, with modern space travel tech, would take months or years to cross, and fairly zippy on interstellar travel as well. (If you'll forgive my drawing on Star Trek for comparison purposes, it'd take a starship going at Warp 8 slightly over 100 hours to cover the same distance.)

I worked out all of the math behind it a while ago, right down to the distances you're talking about, but I did it all on the premise of Misa's numbers, rather than the ones Luca and co. give in Macross Frontier, since their figures are skewed somewhat by the fold faults in the way. I'll hit you up with it via PM in just a second.

Megaroad-01 [MIA-2016]

Megaroad-02

Megaroad-03

Megaroad-04

Megaroad-05

Megaroad-06

Megaroad-07

Megaroad-08

Megaroad-09

Megaroad-10

Megaroad-11

Megaroad-12

Megaroad-13 [Fleet lost, crew became Protodeviln slaves]

Megaroad-14

Megaroad-15

Megaroad-16

Megaroad-17

Megaroad-18

Megaroad-19

Megaroad-20

Megaroad-21

Megaroad-22

Megaroad-23

Megaroad-24 [Destroyed on Earth]

Megaroad-25 [Destroyed on Earth]

Macross 1

Macross 2

Macross 3

Macross 4

Macross 5 [ships destroyed on Planet Lux, 2045. Crew recovered by Macross 7]

Macross 6

Macross 7 [Engaged the Varauta and Protodeviln in 2045]

Macross 8

Macross 9

Macross 10

Macross 11 [still on-mission in 2059, had a brief encounter with the Vajra]

Macross 12

Macross 13 [Fleet status unknown, Battle 13 carrier destroyed in 2051]

Macross 14

Macross 15

Macross 16

Macross 17

Macross 18

Macross 19

Macross 20

Macross 21/Macross Galaxy [Fleet status unknown, Battle Galaxy carrier destroyed during Vajra Conspiracy]

Macross 22

Macross 23

Macross 24

Macross 25/Macross Frontier [Encountered the Vajra in 2059. Landed on Vajra home planet]

Hasn't M13 been retconned to a series of Battle classes assigned for Earth orbital defense due to the unlucky number?

Edited by hulagu

Megaroad-01 [MIA-2016]

~

What S.K. said, + http://www.macrossroleplay.org/Sketchley/Locations/Locations.htm#slref

(list gleaned from various sources. Don't forget to note the colour coding).