I believe it's on his character sheet... to be honest, I haven't translated the blasted thing myself since I too have been focusing on the mechanical and technology sheets rather than character sheets, but when I fielded this exact same question a couple pages ago with the information from 2059:Memories, Gubaba helpfully chimed in with that tidbit.

Unfortunately Macross Chronicle and the Frontier books that came out before 2010 are packed up back in the States, but the info is indeed in the Michel page of Chronicle, as well as in either 2059: Memories or the Official Fan Book (can't remember which one).

It's also in the novelization.

It was never released on DVD, not even the bootleg DVD's have the English dub.

But it was officially released here in the USA on VHS. The Japanese subtitles were even removed, so it's a clean video.

mvc-021s.jpg

mvc-028s.jpg

The english dub is now on the bootleg fx version of DYRL perfect edition. I know for a fact, because I bought one 2 weeks ago and watched it. "The females must not penetrate!" :lol:

Edited by SkullLeaderVF-X

Don't suppose there's anything improved about that FX version. Perhaps a rip of the mor recent HD remaster?

Keep dreaming for a HD remaster. It looks about the same as the Laserdisc to DVD bootleg rip thats out there,imho. The audio drops here and there(more so at the end when Minmay sings Angel's Paint. For the subs....I'll be honest. Too me the subtitles are okay. Translation wise, they are close to the english dialogue spoken. But there kinda ugly. White and hard to read in some areas. It also has spanish subs too. I'll post some screen caps from the dvd.

post-351-0-84573400-1302205641_thumb.jpgpost-351-0-06476500-1302205678_thumb.jpgpost-351-0-82944900-1302205701_thumb.jpgpost-351-0-30613500-1302205722_thumb.jpgpost-351-0-77542400-1302205742_thumb.jpgpost-351-0-38266800-1302205769_thumb.jpgpost-351-0-68738100-1302205813_thumb.jpgpost-351-0-25196200-1302205867_thumb.jpgpost-351-0-69524700-1302205889_thumb.jpgpost-351-0-42894300-1302205913_thumb.jpgpost-351-0-40937500-1302205939_thumb.jpgpost-351-0-67988500-1302206028_thumb.jpg

post-351-0-74924600-1302205966_thumb.jpg

post-351-0-17885700-1302205981_thumb.jpg

post-351-0-48659300-1302205995_thumb.jpg

post-351-0-15050500-1302206013_thumb.jpg

Edited by SkullLeaderVF-X

Keep dreaming for a HD remaster. It looks about the same as the Laserdisc to DVD bootleg rip thats out there,imho. The audio drops here and there(more so at the end when Minmay sings Angel's Paint. For the subs....I'll be honest. Too me the subtitles are okay. Translation wise, they are close to the english dialogue spoken. But there kinda ugly. White and hard to read in some areas. It also has spanish subs too. I'll post some screen caps from the dvd.

post-351-0-84573400-1302205641_thumb.jpgpost-351-0-06476500-1302205678_thumb.jpgpost-351-0-82944900-1302205701_thumb.jpgpost-351-0-30613500-1302205722_thumb.jpgpost-351-0-77542400-1302205742_thumb.jpgpost-351-0-38266800-1302205769_thumb.jpgpost-351-0-68738100-1302205813_thumb.jpgpost-351-0-25196200-1302205867_thumb.jpgpost-351-0-69524700-1302205889_thumb.jpgpost-351-0-42894300-1302205913_thumb.jpgpost-351-0-40937500-1302205939_thumb.jpgpost-351-0-67988500-1302206028_thumb.jpg

you done gave me an idea there.

i did the same thing with my copy of the movie, a DVD-R copy of a BOOT SUB by an "Anime Cartoon"

it doesn't seem to be nearly as sharp as your copy. EXCELLENT SUB translation, though...

DYRL60.png

DYRL61.png

DYRL62.png

DYRL64.png

DYRL1-1.png

DYRL22.png

DYRL31.png

DYRL33.png

DYRL34.png

DYRL38.png

DYRL39.png

DYRL40.png

DYRL41.png

DYRL30.png

DYRL32.png

DYRL42.png

DYRL55.png

DYRL58.png

Edited by azrael

Does anyone think that it is ironic that Nora gives Sara hell for hesitating to sing the song of destruction because her hesitation is going to "cost lives"...Yet singing the song of destruction will cost far more lives?

I think it is a little hypocritical. OR am I missing something?

Another question, this one regarding the YF-19. If its semi fixed energy cannons are on the wing roots, what are the tubular looking things on either side of the chest on battroid mode? yf-19-battroid.gif I always thought they looked like gattling cannons, but mecha manual says they are not weapons...What are they then? They are exposed on the underside of the plane in fighter mode, almost like mini gattling pods.

any guesses?

Another question, this one regarding the YF-19. If its semi fixed energy cannons are on the wing roots, what are the tubular looking things on either side of the chest on battroid mode? I always thought they looked like gattling cannons, but mecha manual says they are not weapons...What are they then? They are exposed on the underside of the plane in fighter mode, almost like mini gattling pods.

No idea what they are... but given the line art, they're not exposed on the underside in fighter mode. If you look at the color-coded transformation diagram, they're actually inside the main body of the aircraft in fighter mode, and only become exposed in the other modes, when the engines swing down to become the legs. If I had to guess something other than "just an aesthetic touch" I'd be inclined to guess they're probably some kind of structural point for fighter mode. Whatever they are, they were left out of the F/S.

Another question, this one regarding the YF-19. If its semi fixed energy cannons are on the wing roots, what are the tubular looking things on either side of the chest on battroid mode? yf-19-battroid.gif I always thought they looked like gattling cannons, but mecha manual says they are not weapons...What are they then? They are exposed on the underside of the plane in fighter mode, almost like mini gattling pods.

any guesses?

Yeah, I believe this was a long-running mystery which was clarified a few years ago by some newly-published annotated lineart. However, I can't remember where that was! I think it was in the Macross Plus remastered DVD set. Anyway, when I find it again, I will post what it says, I don't remember exactly.

No idea what they are... but given the line art, they're not exposed on the underside in fighter mode. If you look at the color-coded transformation diagram, they're actually inside the main body of the aircraft in fighter mode, and only become exposed in the other modes, when the engines swing down to become the legs. If I had to guess something other than "just an aesthetic touch" I'd be inclined to guess they're probably some kind of structural point for fighter mode. Whatever they are, they were left out of the F/S.

I was just going by my yamato in which they are exposed..Guess it is a little less accurate then I thought.

Yeah, I believe this was a long-running mystery which was clarified a few years ago by some newly-published annotated lineart. However, I can't remember where that was! I think it was in the Macross Plus remastered DVD set. Anyway, when I find it again, I will post what it says, I don't remember exactly.

By all means, if you do find an explanation of that from an official source, I'll add it to the stuff I'm pulling together for updates to M3.

I was just going by my yamato in which they are exposed..Guess it is a little less accurate then I thought.

It's not surprising... most transforming mecha rely on "anime magic" to make all the moving bits work out smoothly, and the VF-19's certainly no exception. Transforming toys, on the other hand, don't have that luxury, so they can't replicate the transformation 100% accurately. I skimmed through the Variable Fighter Master File VF-19 Excalibur and didn't see anything about those bits jumping out at me. If there is something in there, sketchley would probably know, since he's gone over those books in greater detail.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Found it:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=33864&view=findpost&p=853682

It WAS in the VF-19 Variable Master File book, and they ARE guns (Mauler), after all. B))

Don't forget the rest of that conversation: http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=33864&view=findpost&p=854549

It WAS in the VF-19 Variable Master File book, and they ARE guns (Mauler), after all. B))

Ah, thanks! I figured it would probably turn out to be Master File after I failed to find anything about it in the usual sources. It really is a crying shame that those Master File books aren't part of the official Macross setting, there's some fantastic stuff there... and some WTF-y stuff... and even a couple Macross II references...

I guess in my head they are guns until that is proven otherwise. Maybe not practical, but who cares.

Seems pretty logical to me, actually... I mean, it doesn't look like the VF-19's head-mounted beam gun has wide enough range of motion to get fully horizontal (or lower) the way a VF-1, VF-2, or VF-25's can... and rotating the whole wing surface in battroid mode simply to bring the lasers to bear on a ground target in battroid mode would probably cause some problems with hitting the arms and/or walking. Mounting a laser on the chest like that seems like a pretty good way to make up for that particular shortcoming.

I had to, it was dozens of pages long. Would've driven me insane otherwise. I'll hazard a guess at the summary, though: "Is it canon?? It's not canon!! Canon, CANON!" Something like that? :p

Since this is a newbie thread, it's best to keep things simple. The worst thing to do is allow the hardcore people to drive away new guys. ^_^

BTW, unless I'm mistaken the Master file bases it's line-art/photographs of the YF-19 on the Hasegawa kit which DOES have the chest protrusions/guns exposed in fighter mode.

Ironically enough, they are missing from the Master File schematics on page 76-77, since they (and all the schematics in both the VF-19 and the VF-1 books) are based on the profiles from This is Animation: Macross Plus and /not/ the Hasegawa designs. Both the VF-1 and VF-19 have added detail, but the heritage of the drawing is pretty clear.

http://www.macross2.net/m3/macrossplus/yf-19/schematic-yf19.gif Colored version of the TIA:M+ line art

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=80417 Colored YF-19 profile from the back of Master File VF-19

http://img40.imageshack.us/i/vf19ftest2.jpg/ and a VF-19F/S I did using a Hasegawa drawing as a base (and which I still really need to finish). You can see the differences between the two.

@Renato: Not starting that argument again, but the book itself says it isn't. :)

Edited by Talos

I had to, it was dozens of pages long. Would've driven me insane otherwise. I'll hazard a guess at the summary, though: "Is it canon?? It's not canon!! Canon, CANON!" Something like that? :p

Since this is a newbie thread, it's best to keep things simple. The worst thing to do is allow the hardcore people to drive away new guys. ^_^

Nah. The end result of that discussion was: despite how cool that book is, the book itself states that it's not part of the official setting.

So, back to square one.

Nah. The end result of that discussion was: despite how cool that book is, the book itself states that it's not part of the official setting.

But...if the whole book is non-canonical, doesn't that mean that the disclaimer is ALSO non-canonical, which would make the book canonical...? :p

But...if the whole book is non-canonical, doesn't that mean that the disclaimer is ALSO non-canonical, which would make the book canonical...? :p

Kind of like a double negative?

So unless someone comes up with something that is canon, I propose that they are mauler cannons.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Edited by Xx-SKULL-ONE-xX

So, back to square one.

I don't own the book so I can't judge... however -- and in no way am I making a jab at your translating skills -- is there a possibility that the disclaimer is a very general one, to the effect of "The details given in this book are fictional and are not accounts of existing real-world aircraft/events, etc.", rather than "The details in this book are not canon to the chronology of Macross animation works"? Basically, is it a case of the book just coming out and saying "It's a cartoon!"? Forgive me if that's a stupid/insulting question, I do actually intend it sincerely, not sarcastically. But hey, it is the newbie thread after all. B))

So unless someone comes up with something that is canon, I propose that they are mauler cannons.

Either way, I agree.

I don't own the book so I can't judge... however -- and in no way am I making a jab at your translating skills -- is there a possibility that the disclaimer is a very general one, to the effect of "The details given in this book are fictional and are not accounts of existing real-world aircraft/events, etc.", rather than "The details in this book are not canon to the chronology of Macross animation works"?

No, I'm afraid not... the disclaimer in each Master File book basically says that the book and its contents aren't part of the official Macross setting. It's not one of those "any resemblance to real people or organizations is strictly coincidental" type disclaimers. Talos was the one who pointed it out, over in the VF-1 Master File "Wings of Space" thread.

Either way, I agree.

Likewise... it's a reasonably plausible answer that's more than adequate in the absence of a canon explanation. ^_^

Edited by Seto Kaiba

No, I'm afraid not... the disclaimer in each Master File book basically says that the book and its contents aren't part of the official Macross setting. It's not one of those "any resemblance to real people or organizations is strictly coincidental" type disclaimers. Talos was the one who pointed it out, over in the VF-1 Master File "Wings of Space" thread.

OK, thanks. Funny, I don't remember there being a similar disclaimer on, say, the Sky Angels book, but then, I guess it isn't required. I guess I'm just baffled by the decision to put it there at all.

Edited by Renato

OK, thanks. Funny, I don't remember there being a similar disclaimer on, say, the Sky Angels book, but then, I guess it isn't required. I guess I'm just baffled by the decision to put it there at all.

I would assume they felt that as a doujinshi, it would be obvious that the contents of the Sky Angels VF-1 tech manual weren't canon. My guess would be they felt the need to include that disclaimer in the Master File series to avoid any confusion the book might cause, since they do occasionally deviate from canon in the details... like adding new variants, omitting or replacing existing ones, coming up with new sets of super parts, adding a ramjet/scramjet mode to the VF-1's engines that doubles its top speed to over Mach 7, etc. :blink:

EDIT: Cleaned up my wording a little.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

"It's all in the eye of the beholder"

or something like that. ;)

(In the end, it's frustrating - as our own personal views of Macross include all these things, but when someone asks a question, we have to give the official setting answer. >.< Just like these chest guns. I'm inclined to believe that they are duplicate REB-23 laser guns, but I can't state authoritatively that they are.)

Thanks Seto for answering Renato's question.

Agreed. I'm of the mind that if "the" creator had a role in the production of the book, it should be part of the official setting. Though, the writers/editors may just be covering themselves if something in the book is totally inconsistent with the established official setting.

EDIT: auto combining of posts leads to bad post formatting. :(

Edited by sketchley