Worse Macross Moments

VFTF1

Worst Macross Moment - every moment a guy named Basara was in......and the entire TV show he was associated with.

amen brother I tried watching Mac 7 it was horrible. Big monsters what were they thinking and if you notice every after that was stayed away from that formula

Guys, Worst Macross Moment:

Carl Macek named producer for "Robotech" adaptation of popular Japanese anime, The Super Dimension Fortress: Macross

Not for me, if not for Robotech many fans would never have been introduced to macross or anime in general. Plus to be frank I can only watch the Macross partas Robotech the music, the opening "Rick", "Lisa" all that I tried to watch it in the original Japanese could not I guess it's what you grew up on. Robotech is a thousand times better then that awful sequel, Macross 7. Sucks that we could not get the other great macross things due to copy right, but that is the legal crap. They should have restricted them to just macross and all the new stuff.

Forget all that though you know what would be a disaster if Alto picks Ranka! Oh hell No!

Edited by moose

Not for me, if not for Robotech many fans would never have been introduced to macross or anime in general. Plus to be frank I can only watch the Macross partas Robotech the music, the opening "Rick", "Lisa" all that I tried to watch it in the original Japanese could not I guess it's what you grew up on. Robotech is a thousand times better then that awful sequel, Macross 7. Sucks that we could not get the other great macross things due to copy right, but that is the legal crap. They should have restricted them to just macross and all the new stuff.

Forget all that though you know what would be a disaster if Alto picks Ranka! Oh hell No!

^ This is a person who represents the antithesis of my thought process.

7 was made in the 90s, so you gotta cut it a little slack. Every metaserialized mecha anime had a phase like that in the 90s. Mostly everything had that phase.

And, I disagree. I actually enjoyed Macross 7, but I could not get myself past the awful attempt at mashing 3 unrelated anime together into some cartoon that didn't follow any of their stories. (I swear, if I hear it called a Veritech, one more time... ¬_¬) Am I the oddball out who actually thinks the massive 7 torrent I downloaded was totally worth the time and hard disk space?

While I understand that without Robowreck, many people wouldn't have been exposed to anime, I'm ten years younger than the port, to say nothing of my conscious age. So, I mean, my first exposure to anime (Fighting evil by moonlight...) had nothing to do with it, and I don't have that connection to Robotech. Further, since it DID blaspheme Macross, and since it's prevented us from getting Macross in the US of A, I hold it in great disdain.

^ This is a person who represents the antithesis of my thought process.

7 was made in the 90s, so you gotta cut it a little slack. Every metaserialized mecha anime had a phase like that in the 90s. Mostly everything had that phase.

And, I disagree. I actually enjoyed Macross 7, but I could not get myself past the awful attempt at mashing 3 unrelated anime together into some cartoon that didn't follow any of their stories. (I swear, if I hear it called a Veritech, one more time... ¬_¬) Am I the oddball out who actually thinks the massive 7 torrent I downloaded was totally worth the time and hard disk space?

While I understand that without Robowreck, many people wouldn't have been exposed to anime, I'm ten years younger than the port, to say nothing of my conscious age. So, I mean, my first exposure to anime (Fighting evil by moonlight...) had nothing to do with it, and I don't have that connection to Robotech. Further, since it DID blaspheme Macross, and since it's prevented us from getting Macross in the US of A, I hold it in great disdain.

Well maybe so but any company that would have imported it it would have had the usual dubb and then it might suffer the fate of other anime and suck all together. Robotech in comparison was and is miles ahead of what has been dubbed today pretty good. And you are asuming that it would still be sucessfull enough to spawn more licensing if that is the case look at Gundam they did well with Wing and had the merchadise in the stores,but it never got to the masses it's still a small market

And were are talking about '86 no internet, nothing it was this or nadah.

But what a disaster if Alto picks Ranka! Oh hell No!

Edited by moose

In the end, I don't think I'll ever understand why people like Robotech. I was born too late. So, yeah, let's agree to disagree about that, yes? My first anime was Sailor Moon, in '97. My second was Gundam, and my fourth was Macross Plus.

In any case, I like Ranka, and I thought she was more interesting than Sheryl and her sudden transition from bitchy pop star to depressed not-pop-star in love with the protagonist. I guess I've been captured by the moeblob mentality.

Hm... one more. the fact that no fiction (that I remember) attempts to reconcile the life expectancy of Zentradi and humans.

I get the impression that the life expectancy (assuming peacetime) of Zentradi was in the thousands.... and we all know how long humans live. So.... Max will be long gone before his wife goes? What about Zentran/ human offsprings? How long do they live?

I get the impression that the life expectancy (assuming peacetime) of Zentradi was in the thousands.... and we all know how long humans live. So.... Max will be long gone before his wife goes? What about Zentran/ human offsprings? How long do they live?

I think barring extreme body modication like DYRL Exsedol or Boddolle Zer, their expectancy should be similar to humans? Where do you get the impression they live thousands of years?

Thing that kinda annoyed me was the fact that in Mac 7, the Fire Bomber valks had speakers attached to them.. Sound doesn't travel in a vacuum doh! Especially Mylene's valk with the sound boosters attached lol.. Other than that I really enjoyed Mac 7, I thought it was great, would make me want to pick up my guitar every now and then, though any guitar music does that to me. :) As for Robotech, the only RT I liked was the SDFM RT, the 2nd and 3rd series of RT, I just couldn't watch cos they were terrible. I have yet to watch the original SDFM.

Edited by MadCatChiken

Thing that kinda annoyed me was the fact that in Mac 7, the Fire Bomber valks had speakers attached to them.. Sound doesn't travel in a vacuum doh! Especially Mylene's valk with the sound boosters attached lol..

...which is why Basara uses the speaker pods to transmit sound.

Later, when they use the sound boosters, it's a ray, not a sound wave.

I'm not saying it makes THAT much sense, but it's not quite as scientifically unsound as "sound traveling through a vacuum."

...which is why Basara uses the speaker pods to transmit sound.

Later, when they use the sound boosters, it's a ray, not a sound wave.

I'm not saying it makes THAT much sense, but it's not quite as scientifically unsound as "sound traveling through a vacuum."

Yeah I realised thats what the speaker pods are for, but I was just refering to the actual speakers on the valk boosters. :p

• 3 weeks later...

'The Vajra have feelings too'

'Maybe Sheryl is a spy'

'The tuna buns look like boobs'

Alto: 'I'm confussed. Am I a boy or a girl?'

Ishtar's makeover.

Sara singing inside the AIPHOS.

Ranka singing inside the bug.

What's up with all that?!

A little late to the party with Macross F and going through it now. Ep 12 has one of the worst moments for me. I thought for sure this was leading into some interesting speculation on human nature (and Zentradi nature). About how powerful our impulses are, and how much they drive us, a story about destiny and choice that would really explore the mentality of these renegades...but no, we get a very brief one-on-one fight after Ranka comes in and sings and LITERALLY MAKES EVERYONE'S EYES HEART-SHAPED. Ugh, Ugh, ugh.

Every scene of Macross 7 with Basara in it

Every scene of Macross 7 where Gavil gets to talk

The knife fight of SDFM which SHOULD have been badass, was...well, not (to say the least).

The sudden and inexplicable "romance" between Sylvie and Hibiki in the last episode of M2

...So, giant alien sacks of tits with jetpacks, firing giant robot machine guns are more believable than badasses with guitars using their main character syndrome to their advantage? :rolleyes:

well, it's hotter. ^_^

...So, giant alien sacks of tits with jetpacks, firing giant robot machine guns are more believable than badasses with guitars using their main character syndrome to their advantage? :rolleyes:

Uh, yes. By several orders of magnitude. Macronized Klan is big enough to carry the VF-25's gun and while the fast pack thing is maybe a bit of a stretch, it works.

Besides, there was never a show where a BADASS did that. There was Basara, but definitely no badass who did.

I guess I've been captured by the moeblob mentality.

long since captured, for me.

also, i actually had a somewhat similar entrance to Anime as you, with a couple years seniority.

for me, it was MACROSS via the double-episode 1990s FHE ROBOTECH VHS/LD release, starting around 1994/1995.

from those, it was MACROSS proper via the MANGA VIDEO releases of MACROSS II and MACROSS PLUS.

i still have all those VHS, as well as some of their LD duplicates, added in recent years...

For me, the worst Macross moment is anytime someone says that Macross should be "believable." ;)

'The Vajra have feelings too'

What's the problem with that? :blink:

The Macross F is about racial misunderstanding... And here it is again. :rolleyes:

Where there are tits around, I can't associate that with "worst moments".

And yes, giant tits and giant robot machine guns are believable, when there is a giant.

Edited by ff95gj

What's YOUR worse Macross moment?

getting to see MACROSS; DYRL for the very first time via the late-90's BEST VIDEO VHS release

of the infamous TOHO dub.

granted, it could've been worse, it could have been the heavily edited late-80's FHE "CLASH OF THE BIONOIDS"

but still, the HIDEOUSLY HACKNEYED TOHO dialogue is truly is a masochistically amusing nightmare.

who could forget unforgettable lines such as;

ZENTRAN SOLDIER 1&2; "A MAN AND A WOMAN?-WHAT'S THAT?-A MAN AND A WOMAN!! IT MUST BE PRO-TO-CUL-TURE!!"

HIKARU; "They're Floating, Just like us!!"

HIKARU&ROY; ROY; "Heyy, Hikaruu!! HIKARU; A MAN!! ROY; You can Still Fight wen yer Drunk!!"

HIKARU&MISA; MISA; "...You must Do this immediately!! HIKARU; Who is this? i saved you Before,remember?

i am Not listening to a Woman!! GO!!"

god, at least i finally happened across a region-free HK bootleg with an accurate english sub

to replace that monstrosity with!! finally i could actually ENJOY DYRL's script!!