Favorite Macross Series?

mrhillz

As much as I love Macross II, nothing beats the original. I wouldn't consider this a "funny story" per say, but aside from the Macross Saga, Macross II was my first real introduction to the Macross world - before Macross II, I only knew of Robotech. About fourteen years ago I was looking at the anime section at my local Blockbuster and saw Macross II sitting there on the shelf. I recognized the name "Macross" and decided to rent it to see what it was all about. Ever since then I've been in love with Macross II and Macross. Macross II even lead me to AFM which lead me to this great community here on MW.

1) SDF Macross :wub:

1.5) Macross II :wub:

2) Macross DYRL? / FB 2012 :wub:

3) Macross Plus B))

4) Macross Frontier :D

5) Macross Zero :)

6) Macross 7 <_<

Edited by Oihan

Macross Plus was the First one I actually saw. I got curious, after having been enamored with Battletech as a kid, and learning that many of my favorite mechs, The Stinger and Warhammer, were taken from robotech, I dug deeper. I Found out about Macross, and it kinda sat for a bit. I got hooked after robotech battlecry came out for ps2, and that's when I saw M+. I have to Say Macross plus was my favorite, with the awesome battles. SDF Macross is my next pick because it started it all (Alas I only have the ADV Dub DVDs). All the other series are kinda on the same level for me. Macross Plus was the reason I got my VF-11C, cuz I couldn't get an 11 bravo. Also GIANT MECH BAYONET!!!

Edited by Valkyrie Driver

for me it goes

SDF Macross>Macross 7>Macross Frontier>Macross Zero=Macross Plus

I can never really differentiate between the movies and series in my mind so it would be impossible for me to place those on the rating scale. I don't care one bit about battles or mechs so those aren't really being considered at all.

It's really hard to put into words why I like SDF more than the others as no particular thing really stands out. I want to say it's story but it's not really that. I find it incredibly charming but there is more to it than that. What it had to say about the importance and effect of "culture" in and on human lives resonated incredibly strongly with me in a way very few other things have.

Macross 7 comes is. I have to say it did take a bit of getting used to though. The first time someone showed it to me I stopped watching after three episodes in disgust. But once I was able to separate my opinion of it from comparing it to SDF I really came to love it. Basara is hands down my favorite Macross character(yes I am one of those people). I even found myself liking the whole ridiculous song energy thing. I guess I kind of thought of it as being a way to symbolically explore the same themes of SDF.

Macross Frontier is third. I get a little worried about the direction the franchise is going when I think about Frontier and Zero. Don't get me wrong, I *DO* really like Frontier. It's very well put together, funny, decent storyline, great music, etc. But the whole varja thing puts me off. I liked how SDF and 7 both explored the nature of "culture" in life but that is just lacking in Frontier. For the varja singing is just how they communicate. That's it. It's all very scientific and unemotional. I'm not one to say that the whole "humans are creatures created by the protoculture to be able to sing like the varja they idolize"(correct me if I am wrong on this, it's just the way the things that have happened struck me to be) is a dumb plot because I actually really do like that. It's just unfortunately when you actually get to the part where humans are interacting with varja it cuts through the emotional impact of song that is in SDF and 7 and that is what has drawn me so much to the series.

I can't rank Plus and Zero because I don't like them. I didn't find any of the characters in Plus appealing. I didn't like the focus on mech combat because aside from getting laughing fits from the daedalus attack and pinpoit barrier mechs bore the pants off me. I didn't like the music because that sort of music is really not my thing. I didn't like that the music in Plus was only there because it is a Macross OAV and Macross needs to have music in it.

My complaints for Zero are basically the ones from Frontier and Plus mushed together. Though I do like Roy and Aimo.

I apologize if any of this seems like an attack on things that you like. I wholly admit that these are simply my opinions and do not expect or want to change anyone's mind about them.

Time to add my 2 cents.

DYRL (only after watching SDFM though) Two reasons, Misa gets a decent kiss from Hikaru, and the animation is superb.

Plus

Frontier

Zero

7 - could never watch it again, Basara is not my kind of character, and if I want to watch Hanna Barbera characters (which I DON"T) I'll watch Yogi Bear or Squidley Diddly instead...

In it's favor - I liked the bits with Max and Millia, and Exedore's head (can't spell his Macross name correctly).

II - I only ever saw the dubbed version, which I now know is a crime against humanity, I need to find the subbed version someday.

I started with Plus, and that's probably eternally at second place with me. I especially love the film version. I still love the story of three estranged friends, and the final battle still gets rewatched often. Yet when I finally started on the Robotech sets, I just got into it. Saw DYRL and loved it. Once I'd seen SDF in its entirely, it was firmly in as my second favorite anime of all time (second only to Gunbuster).

The original TV series and fan oriented movie are damn near perfect in my book. Fantastic characters, interesting plot, great designs and music. None of the followups come close, even Frontier (which suffers from story and character issues). I can't count in 7, having only seen some, but I doubt that'll change.

I like II, Zero and F, but I love the original.

I think that's more due to how old we were when we watched the original series, as opposed to how good it was. Not that I'm saying it was anything other than amazing, of course (I wouldn't be here if it weren't).

There' truth to saying that. I know when I started in anime, I was ten years younger and pretty much adored the first show I saw. Even today I think of them highly, yet realize I may not be as enamoured had I seen them now after hundreds of titles. Still, there are exceptions, namely in me being pretty well loving of plus having seen it first, even bemoaning getting a DYRL wallscroll instead of the Plus one as being an odd choice. Yet that changed when I saw the original years later.

And yeah...for me, there's no time like yer first time, right? So SDFM is by far my favorite. For some reason, though, I can't really separate the '80s Macross releases in my head...it all seems like one big sundae...SDFM TV is the ice cream, DYRL is the hot fudge sauce, and FB2012 is the cherry on top. I'm also feeling that way (so far) about Frontier and its movie edition.

Me too. DRYL just seems like icing on the cake. I can't seperate them. I also tend not to compare the titles, hence how I'd roll my eyes whenever someone insisted on calling Sheryl Misa, and Ranka Minmay. Dated animation doesn't tend to sway me in judging quality either. I guess I'm one of those rare types that can actually appreciate something as a product of its time. Though SDF does have some horrendous animation at times, while DRYL have some of the best cel animation Japan's ever done. It seems foolish to compare that to some like Zero and Frontier where most of the hard stuff isn't even drawn by hand.

And yeah, I'm the first to admit that I'm massively uncritical when it comes to Macross...I've found something to enjoy about nearly every Macross production. But it was Plus the drew me back into Macross after the horrendous disappointment of Macross II. And it was Frontier that inspired me to start becoming more active in the Macross fandom, so those would probably have to be ranked pretty high for me.

I'm not sure how I am. I suppose I am more inclined to like it because of the connection. Nor do I think my problems with Frontier had anything to do with it having to "live up" to the original. Though I know this forum played a large part in shaping my attitude towards it, and aside from the OSTs, cosplay, and expensive-ass Sheryl figurines staring back at me that I marvel having, I know it plays a large part in keeping my interest in it. The fandom has definitely formed what I call my love/hate relationship with that show and it's characters :lol: . I like them, but they just don't entirely endear themselves to me, much like Zero's.

1. SDF/DYRL/FB2012

2. Plus (especially the Movie cut)

3 It's been awhile since I've seen II, but I'll put it here for old times sake.

4 (3?). Frontier/Zero They really are about equal to me. Good shows when I saw them that slowly fade from memory and would probably have done so entirely if not for the Macross connection. F probably has the edge give longer running time, slightly more memorable, if at times frustrating, characters and especially the music [though 0 has fantastic music as well and is generally forgotten for lack of songs]. There are times I think the music of F appeals to me more than the show (I know I see May'n more as the true Sheryl than Aya Endo, which is unusual for me).

? 7

Mar, noticed you placed The False Diva above TV. Curious how you came to that?

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

I Agree that culture is a huge theme in Macross, and it is especially what I loved about SDF Macross and Macross 7. Macross 7 took a while to spool up and get moving, whereas SDF Macross took no time at all, I watched SDF and was riveted, I was bored and sick when I watched 7 so it was a choice between that and sleep, (of which I'd already had 12 hours). 7 had a decent story but the song energy thing was weird. My favorite character in 7 aside from Max, would have been Gamlin. I like characters I can Identify with, which I couldn't do with Basara. I couldn't even Identify with Hikaru, just because of the attitude the character displays. However, the rebellious yet dependable main character gets me to keep going along. All the Macross productions thus far have the rebel as the main character, which can be refreshing from time to time.

after just watching macross 7 series and macross frontier movie for the first time, here is my current order:

Best

1) Macross 7 tv (Basara my favorate charc ever)

2.0) Macross Frontier Movie (Michel doesnt die uselessly, Sheryl is even hotter)

2.1) Macross Frontier tv (Sheryl and Ranka I love you both!!!)

3) Macross Plus 4 part series (yf-19 and yf-21 my current favorate valks)

Still Love alot

4) Macross TV (best SDF or ship ever!!!)

5) Macross 2 (after vf-21/yf19, this one is my favorate valk)

6) Macross Dyrl (I actually liked Minmei here, whilst i hated her in the tv series)

7) Macross Plus Movie (darker than the series, specially ending)

Didnt Like

8) Macross Zero (ending ruins it all)

Edited by Arthurius

I am currently re-watching Frontier, and I gotta say that I'm digging it more this time around. definitely has a faster pace than M7, actually it seems like it was paced more like plus than anything, which i like because it holds my attention better. The VF-25 is very cool, and is almost back neat the top of my list of favorite mecha. VF-11C still beats it. A second look at Alto, kind shows him as not being so much angsty as I had remembered, but more disinterested and aloof. Still the bishonen thing creeps me out a bit (not just macross, but the trope in general), but it makes for fun comedy. I can't really rat them in order of favorites I would rather recommend an order in which it should be watched, i.e. chronologically. I enjoy all of Macross, in the same way I enjoy all of star trek, it's the complete story that fascinates me, rather than the individual collections of events (i.e. series). Frontier definately has some kick ass mecha though, Macross Quarter, favorite capital ship in the franchise, and the VF-25/VF-27, tied for third favorite mech. (Which isn't saying anything really, My list goes, it's VF-11B/C, VF-17D/S, and everything else.)

Just some more thoughts to share...

I notice that many people do not like the Vajra. Quite on the contrary, I quite like the idea of a different communication means from human. The human haughtily thought the Vajras were not intelligent. It turned out that they had such an advanced communication system to share ideas across the whole species. They won't have conflicts, lies, misunderstanding among themselves. Now that is an advanced culture IMHO. Shame on human.

I am currently re-watching Frontier, and I gotta say that I'm digging it more this time around. definitely has a faster pace than M7, actually it seems like it was paced more like plus than anything, which i like because it holds my attention better.

Just about every Macross show has a faster pace than Macross 7, partly due to its greater length and partly due to it wasting about 22 episodes before they make any progress with the plot. This is, of course, not to say that Macross Frontier's pacing is perfect or even close to it. In the first half, the show has to be dragged kicking and screaming away from its school drama for some Macross-style woosh crikey fighter action. Near the end of the series, it's like the show's creators suddenly realized they were only doing 25 episodes and had to wrap things up with almost indecent haste. Still, it balances out better than 7, though I think I agree with the oft-voiced sentiment that ~36 episodes is the "butter zone" for a Macross series. 7 could've stood to be shorter, and the Frontier series could've stood to be longer.

I notice that many people do not like the Vajra. Quite on the contrary, I quite like the idea of a different communication means from human. The human haughtily thought the Vajras were not intelligent. It turned out that they had such an advanced communication system to share ideas across the whole species. They won't have conflicts, lies, misunderstanding among themselves. [...]

In my experience, the very arguments you've cited in defense of the Vajra concept are usually the reasons that people cite for not liking them. In order to empathize with a character, you have to be able to understand their motivations and interactions. The human(oid) antagonists in Macross have human-like emotions, react to things in human-like ways, and have motivations that are easy enough to understand from a human perspective. The Vajra are utterly inscrutable... their motivations are impossible to understand without a humanoid character "in the know" explaining them flat-out, and they have no personality at all. They're a faceless, voiceless, generally purposeless antagonist until Grace rolls in and takes over, giving them a set of motivations we can understand. We don't find out why they've been shooting up the Frontier fleet until the very last episode, when Ranka has to explain it to everyone.

I like my aliens done star trek/Star wars style. Sure it can be a bit unimaginative to have a universe full of mostly humanoid aliens but they're relate-able. Besides, in star trek and Macross there has been presented the idea that all species share a common galactic ancestor. (I may be misinterpreting this for Macross, but Star Trek TNG has an episode that blatantly states it.) The Humorous example cited by Dynaman about nobody wanting to kiss a bug, I think is pretty darn close to the mark. In almost every anime I have ever seen, love is a common theme. It makes for very good sub-plots and plot devices. I think the Vajra would have been better shown with a symbiotic relationship to a humanoid race or something along those lines to give us something to better relate to. (Heh, maybe Kawamori-san should poll the MacrossWorld forums for ideas for his next series...) The collective consciousness was a neat concept to explore though.

In my experience, the very arguments you've cited in defense of the Vajra concept are usually the reasons that people cite for not liking them. In order to empathize with a character, you have to be able to understand their motivations and interactions. The human(oid) antagonists in Macross have human-like emotions, react to things in human-like ways, and have motivations that are easy enough to understand from a human perspective. The Vajra are utterly inscrutable... their motivations are impossible to understand without a humanoid character "in the know" explaining them flat-out, and they have no personality at all. They're a faceless, voiceless, generally purposeless antagonist until Grace rolls in and takes over, giving them a set of motivations we can understand. We don't find out why they've been shooting up the Frontier fleet until the very last episode, when Ranka has to explain it to everyone.

Those are not "arguments". I don't intend to use them as "why you should like the Vajras". Just thoughts that why I like them. :)

I can't see the problem for there's a mysterious species attacking human for no apparent reason until the end reveals why (I would yell if they never resolve it, that would be lame). That's kind of a suspense for the story.

If you have that kind of communication among a species, it's natural that you lose characters - everyone will converge to having the same behaviour and same thoughts for the goods of the species. Unlike Smarfs we won't see someone smarter, someone more curious, etc.

Maybe "we need Spiritia so let's suck all of them" is easier to understand and better for you. Eyes of beholder. :p

Edited by ff95gj

I personnaly liked the mystery of the vjara, and macross frontier was my favorate untill i recently saw macross 7, where i really liked Basara using music (vrs trying to kill) to setlle the differences and make true peace. They sort of used that in Macross Frontier show (not the movie unfortunately), with Ranka's songs wining the heart of the vjara. Just that Macross 7 did it more vigouresly, and that was really great. That said, Macross Frontier is amazing too!!!! wink.gif

Edited by Arthurius

the Vajra were mysterious, but so were the Varauta from M7, until we figured out who they were. The problem I think people have when trying to relate to the vajra is that it's not a species of individuals, so there is no individual intellect. Each individual vajra is portrayed as a lower life form, and as such we relate to them as such, wanting to realate to individuals is natural for us, because we can perceive no other way for intelligent life to be. Watch this you tube video to kinda see a different take on it,

"It's never as good as the first time". Though I really like Frontier, it seems to be drawing on all the previous incarnations(Macross Plus, Macross 7, Macross etc) to the point that I don't really find it carving its own identity. NOT that that's a critcism, it's just my opinion. It certainly has the best mech battles(but they're too sparse and short).

#1 Macross original (the one that de-flowered me)

#2 Macross Plus

#3 Macross Zero

#4 Macross II

#5 Macross 7 (notice the spacing distance between the others. I did like the music in it and it is not as bad as many on this site say it is)

DYRL I consider part of original Macross