GI Joe Renegades

GI Joe Renegades 1st Clip

Black Friday GI Joe Renegades Premiere Confirmed

The new Renegades cartoon is to GI Joe what WFC is to Transformers PRIME; an origin story. All new continuity and as with TF PRIME, Hasbro is in it for the long run. Hasbro stated recently in the q/a sessions that the figures will be released in the Pursuit Of Cobra line and will maintain realistic styling and level of detail/sculpting of POC.

My key hope is that this cartoon is not dumbed down. The ONLY GI JOE cartoon that was not dumbed down was GI Joe Resolute.

Ummm...just looking at that one clip proves to me that this one's aimed at young kids.

Looks like they are going back to Laser like the original they should have stayed with the real guns like they had on "Resolute"

Though I would like to see them try to fly a tank like in "A-Team" movie though I have not seen the movie yet that would be cool that would make up for not having real guns.

• 2 weeks later...

It was kinda awful. And the nickname thing was just so bad. I rather if they just introduced everyone with a text at the bottom of the screen or how about just call signs on the walkies, or maybe they all belong to some super secret internet forum and they use their screen names when they meet each other... :p

Watched both episodes, it was good, the animation is a bit distracting at times so that'll take some getting used to. Surprisingly, the story and themes (big business, military, politics, etc.) feel aimed towards adults while the weapons, character designs, and action sequences keep the kids in play (energy weapons instead of bullets). There are some cheesy dialogue parts, but GI Joe is cheesy so it felt right. I guess it's because i work on a military base, but i can't help but feel they should pay more attention to the disciplines that the military is known for (saluting, cover, appropriate naming conventions), but i know that's asking too much of a kids a cartoon.

Watched both episodes, it was good, the animation is a bit distracting at times so that'll take some getting used to. Surprisingly, the story and themes (big business, military, politics, etc.) feel aimed towards adults while the weapons, character designs, and action sequences keep the kids in play (energy weapons instead of bullets). There are some cheesy dialogue parts, but GI Joe is cheesy so it felt right. I guess it's because i work on a military base, but i can't help but feel they should pay more attention to the disciplines that the military is known for (saluting, cover, appropriate naming conventions), but i know that's asking too much of a kids a cartoon.

When will it start and what channel/network will it be on?

I have not seen any advertisements for it on "Cartoon Network," Disney DX, or Nickelodeon.

I was watching "Renegades" and towards the end of the second episode they are fighting the Bio Viper, and they use the power line to drive it in to the LASER fence and I'm reminded of the PSA at the end of one of the original GI Joe episode. The PSA were the kids find the down power line, and one of the Joe's come along and warns the children of the dangers of playing near down power lines.

The fake Cobra Industries commercial reminded me of the Fake Veridian Dynamics commercials on "Better off Ted" and the end of it were they say "knowing is Half the Battle".

As someone who never liked Flint, I'm enjoying having a Flint who's kind of a jerk, and placed in the role of secondary heavy. That said, I was never a fan of the original Lady Jaye, either. But, I like her Renegades incarnation.

Most of the characters do a good job of being reinventions of the old school characters. The two glaring exception being Mindbender, and "breaker." Both feel more like randomly applying old names to completely new characters. Then, there's Major Bludd. I'll spoilerize this, for those who haven't seen the last episode or two.

Maybe it's just the voice, but he comes across more like a cross between Bludd and Zartan. Playing up his mercenary aspect hasn't really helped me shake that feeling. Cool car, though.

• 2 months later...

Finally started watching this show and have been pleasantly surprised so far. It's not high art by any stretch, but it is pretty good. My biggest gripes right now are the voice actors for Duke, sounds too immature, and Lady Jaye, not sure how Alison Hart-Burnett can have that particular accent. Other than that pretty good so far, much more plausible overall storyline, and want to see where it eventually lead. Loving Flint even though he primarily a foil.

They never showed Cobra Commander feeding a employee to a Giant Cobra in the original.

it's definitely catering more to adults as the series progresses, the things that i find cheesy my 5 year old son thinks are "cool" so it's doing a clever job of keeping both audiences occupied.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...