Yamato 1/60 Regult w/ pilot

EXO

Yes, let's talk about how I'm mean, boo hoo.

Don't get me started!

:)

I wonder how much more popular Votoms is, cuz the size of those Scopedogs are probably way beyond the regult. (it broke right away though)

And I can understand how much more popular Patlabor is (actually I can't.... it's boring as heck) but that toy is total badass... the gun and the lights...

30k for molds? The molds for the leg would cost more than 30k, Yamato would be lucky if they got away with something closer to 10x that amount for a single run of something that size and complexity.

uh yeah, 30K PER MOLD, as mentioned earlier in this thread, I never said one mold = one toy. Even allowing for 10 molds per toy (multiple parts per mold) thats only $300K production cost, compared to $2.25 million revenue on a sold out toy (every Yamato that goes to a subsequent production run sells out at full price or close to it in its first production run). Minus overheads I still think theres a very good margin for profit.

Edited by Million Star

uh yeah, 30K PER MOLD, as mentioned earlier in this thread, I never said one mold = one toy. Even allowing for 10 molds per toy (multiple parts per mold) thats only $300K production cost, compared to $2.25 million revenue on a sold out toy (every Yamato that goes to a subsequent production run sells out at full price or close to it in its first production run). Minus overheads I still think theres a very good margin for profit.

where do you get all that information from?

only if you can actually generate $2 million+ in actual sales; and that is a MASSIVE if.

your own words:

15,000 produced times say 13,000 yen average retail price depending on the exact model thats 195 million yen or about US$2.25 million revenue from a sold out toy

The key words here are 15,000 and sold out. How likely is it that a 15,000 unit run of regults is actually going to sell out in any sort of timely manner?

PROTIP: Not likely at all.

Edited by anime52k8

I feel the only way a Regult Yamato toy would ever sale massive qauntities, is if the original series was remade giving the Regult fresh coverage to younger generations.

With that said, I would pay $100 for Regult toy from Yamato, even without the figure. VF-1's need them.

I feel the only way a Regult Yamato toy would ever sale massive qauntities, is if the original series was remade giving the Regult fresh coverage to younger generations.

With that said, I would pay $100 for Regult toy from Yamato, even without the figure. VF-1's need them.

They should just make a Glaug. At least that will sell to the Classic Battletech fans as well.

I have the feeling that the older the property gets, the rarer and more expensive the collectibles will be, so we might as well get used to pay more and more for the bigger scales or collect the smaller toys while there are companies willing to make them. It sucks we're not Baby Boomers so we could spend our pensions in Macross stuff when we retire.

As for the Yamato Regult, I want one, but the "unpainted and disassembled" part is bothering me. I don't know any modeler near me I would trust 500 bucks worth of collectibles, and besides, I'm sure if I get it, Yamato will release a cheaper assembled and painted version eventually. Might as well put that money aside: Who wants to bet the Destroid Monster is next in line to get the "model kit" treatment?

Edited by Lonely Soldier Boy

This whole "regults" won't sell well is complete rubbish.

Two reasons:

- Toynami.

- Robotech Fans (and a couple of guys in Japan who go out for sushi and sake while scattering 1/60 regults all over the place)

They seem to be selling well. Toynami is not making 3 other versions to lose more money.

I'm not saying sell a Yamato 1/60 version for $25 with a pilot, opening cockpit, and a box of pocky sticks; I'm just saying it could be done, and be just as profitable. MORE profitable than their greedy ways (ie $500 vinyl(?) kit exclusive that is banned from being photographed. Yeah, let's just keep our products from being advertised.) Oh wait, let me guess, Yamato has their reasons for that one, too?

With all due respect...

Unless anyone here works for Yamato, knows how much staff they have, and has access to their paperwork, YOU have no say. You're not on Yamato's payroll. You're not an expert. Go to sleep.

As a consumer, I have say, because I know what I want. Give me a product, Yamato. Fine, be greedy. But be greedy to where everyone's happy.

So stop giving me this "Yamato does this because of this blah blah blah" B.S.... save it for your x-acto knife.

Edited by fifbeat

This whole "regults" won't sell well is complete rubbish.

Two reasons:

- Toynami.

- Robotech Fans (and a couple of guys in Japan who go out for sushi and sake while scattering 1/60 regults all over the place)

They seem to be selling well. Toynami is not making 3 other versions to lose more money.

I'm not saying sell a Yamato 1/60 version for $25 with a pilot, opening cockpit, and a box of pocky sticks; I'm just saying it could be done, and be just as profitable. MORE profitable than their greedy ways (ie $500 vinyl(?) kit exclusive that is banned from being photographed. Yeah, let's just keep our products from being advertised.) Oh wait, let me guess, Yamato has their reasons for that one, too?

With all due respect...

Unless anyone here works for Yamato, knows how much staff they have, and has access to their paperwork, YOU have no say. You're not on Yamato's payroll. You're not an expert. Go to sleep.

As a consumer, I have say, because I know what I want. Give me a product, Yamato. Fine, be greedy. But be greedy to where everyone's happy.

So stop giving me this "Yamato does this because of this blah blah blah" B.S.... save it for your x-acto knife.

Trust me, Regults don't sell well ;) !!!

You're right we're not on Yamato's payroll, but we're not on Toynami's payroll either. Seriously, how many Regult's has Toynami sold???

Toynami's regult is a vinyl toy, a basic design with few moving parts, nothing complicated.

Yamato's Regult won't be an egg with two sticks as legs!!! It can crouch, has interior detail, the cockpit opens, it has rotating guns, the eye opens and closes, it comes with a fully articulated pilot (this time with joints designed by Yamato not like the T-Rex soldier where you had to get your own joints).

I have Captain's regult kit, it's AMAZING but you have to clean the flash form the molds, buy some balljoints to articulate it, glue, putty the seams, sand putty, paint. Yamato's HDP kit is the same as the 1/60 unassembled VF-1. Instead of plastic it's hard impact resin, but like the 1/3000 SDF-1 it comes with screws, working joints, has no molding lines. It only requires to be assembled and of course painted.

RANT MODE ON:

I'm sick and tired of the this whole debate "the regult doesn't transform", the "Queadluun Rau doesn't transform", "destroids don't transform".

To all the naysayers, take the leg of a yamato's 1/60 VF-1 and the leg of the tomahawk. You will see which one has more parts and is more complicated!!

RANT MODE OFF :lol:

The Queadluun Rau retails for 9.800 yen which translates to U$S 113,66 (back in the day with better exchange ratio it was 95-100 bucks). It's big, it's articulated, the sculpt is awesome (it nails the lineart), has cockpit that opens, the missile bays from the body open, the first release came with a Myria pilot and 99% of the peolpe on this board say it's an OVERPRICED PIECE OF S H I T!!! I'm the only one that loves this toy, f@ck, I'm still dreaming with a similar 1/60 Nousjadeul Ger!! 9.800 Yen is what retailers and vendors like HLJ get, NOT YAMATO.

Again, a wide release of the 1/60 Regult won't sell ;) Yamato knows the market, we're the market and we are cheap bastards :lol: We have to come to our senses, if we want a cheap Regult we must admit that we're going to get an egg with two sticks as legs (Toynami's toy).

Yamato is going to sell us a Ferrari, a Rolls Royce, even a BMW (and those cars break too). I don't see people yelling mad at Ferrari and telling them to produce a cheap and affordable car for the masses.

Some of us want a 1/60 Regult to be in scale with our v2 VF-1's right? But as I said the vast majority of this board hates the Queadluun Rau and thinks it's overpriced. Now all of a sudden some peolpe want it with no interior details, no pilot and be charged 70/80 bucks for it. Really? If that's the case we'll have the same scenario as the Quead Rau, people will say it's overpriced.

How much should yamato charge?

I'm sorry if I sound like an a$$hole but the endless complaining and whining is taking the enjoyment of getting this kit out of me :ph34r: I'm buying this Regult, I'm commited to show support to the franchise and to a company that makes great toys. Every day I check this thread and my email (to get info from my contact) to see if there are more news or pics but all I read are complaints :( I know I can skip the posts, but I take every member for serious and like to read different opinions but sometimes it's very frustating.

Why do we always want the best good for the lowest price possible?? It's like we endorse the use of sweatshops to get everything almost for free. Ferrari doesn't market their cars to poor people. Yamato is in the game for the money, to make profit aka $$$.

DISCLAIMER: this post is not aimed at you fifbeat, I love 'ya :lol: Well, actually I don't, I just love my wife ;)

I'm just venting, expressing my opinion over the internet for what it's worth.

Edited by Ignacio Ocamica

=D Well said. I have a crush on you, dude.

But a few things:

- I'm not saying they'll sell as well as an iPhone4, I'm just saying they'll sell well enough to where everyone is happy. Nothing wrong with making a profit AND making people happy.

- And, I'm not asking for a lot: I'll take a 1/60 Q-Rau quality-type Regult for about $80. That's all I want. And it being Yamato, I'm sure it'll naturally be better than Toynami's. Heck, I'll take it for $120 or a little more.

- And mold/kit/sculpt/material politics aside - just make one for all of who bought the hell out of their 1/60's! Make it out of foam if you have to.

I'm filipino and I want what I want.

Matter in fact, screw Yamato. I'll take a 1/60 from Toynami as long as it comes with a figure of Tommy Tune, his tight black shirt and hair that you can actually comb. Oh, and throw in a CD by the guy who sings songs on NEW GENERATION.

Edited by fifbeat

- And, I'm not asking for a lot: I'll take a 1/60 Q-Rau quality-type Regult for about $80. That's all I want. And it being Yamato, I'm sure it'll naturally be better than Toynami's. Heck, I'll take it for $120 or a little more.

Matter in fact, screw Yamato. I'll take a 1/60 from Toynami as long as it comes with a figure of Tommy Tune, his tight black shirt and his awesome hair!

The 1/60 Q-Rau quality-type Regult makes sense ;)

A 1/60 toynami regult with Tommy Yune's figure would be epic!!! Hahahahaha!!!

Well, since you brought up Toynami, the vinyl regult was originally designed as a toy. But they realized that investing money into a mold wasn't going to be worth the return because... it just wasn't going to sell enough. So instead it was released as a vinyl for lower production costs. I'm assuming it's the same for the vehicle voltron. If the Lion Voltron would have gone gangbusters, they would have released a plastic toy of the vehicle counterpart right away. Instead they just came out with a vinyl version.

We are not Yamato's market, Japan is. Don't forget that. The few westerners importing means very little to a Japanese toy company's bottom line.

You're right, and when Yamato studies the market I don't think they consider the indirect sales to the rest of the world.

The few westerners importing means very little to a Japanese toy company's bottom line.

Pfft. Exactly.

Yamato... We gotta expand. The whole operation. Distribution.

New York, Chicago, LA. We gotta set our own mark and enforce it. We gotta think big now.

Pfft. Exactly.

Yamato... We gotta expand. The whole operation. Distribution.

New York, Chicago, LA. We gotta set our own mark and enforce it. We gotta think big now.

:rolleyes:

I sadly remember The Puzzle Zoo getting a letter of C & D from Toynami (or HG, I cannot remember which) for selling Yamato Macross items in the USA. Because of the Robotech licensing agreement of the 80's, Harmony Gold is the only company that can sell the Macross IP to USA consumers.

But I do agree. I know Macross is global, and if Big West was able to expand Macross to international markets, their market would vastly expand. If only there was a way around that HG boycott. :)

Edited by ae_productions

9.800 Yen is what retailers and vendors like HLJ get, NOT YAMATO.

I believe in Japan most business for Yamato is done through their website now (was harder and harder to find Yamato in retail stores in 2009) in which case Yamato gets the full price. In the case of selling through the retailer, the retailer will take a quite small cut actually.

Selling out of 15000 units happens to every Yamato toy that goes to a second, third or more production runs, and thats quite a few toys.

Once again, yes, Japan is Yamatos primary market of course, so I`m asking does anyone have a link to any Japanese forums where there is reaction to the regult anouncement by Japanese fans? Do they want a cheap toy or are they happy with the premium product?

Gotta think a Regult would sell in limited volumes, especially if they... get this.... did a remake/reanimation (I <3 the idea of reusing all their vocals from SDF:M but doing new animation). VF-1 is redone a little more VF-0'ish/modern'ish in it's lines. Low-viz is the CF. "Hero" schemes are high-viz/CAG type but more realistic than Max/Milia cartoony stuff. Hell all they'd have to do is a new/updated series with Gamlin's Macross 31 Fleet running into another Zentran or Meltran fleet. They've been using the same gear for couple hundred thousand years. Point is just feature it in some new animation and they can always do their "retro version" for us geeks who still <3 the original. :ph34r:

Test version is this one. Ungodly amount of yen and even more horrid amount of dollars to import it.

Anyways, first mass version: 12,800 yen: no opening cockpit. They only need articulation on the legs and 4 front guns. Opening and closing eye should be redonkulously easy, but hell leave it out on the first one. The rear is modular (like the Revoltech) which they can milk for various repaints. Or throw it all in one package, whatever. I imagine standard AA guns and long range missile pods like the Revoltech is cool with the short range missile pods a web exclusive and the Scout as a repaint or different SKU.

Get a good 2 or 3 repaints out of it.

18,800 yen Special Edition with opening hatch version, AA, short range, long range missile pods, and scout antenna. Pilot is a web exclusive that will import for $80-100 a pop. :ph34r:

New Standard Edition includes Special Edition opening hatch and AA guns. 12,800 yen. Who knows where the Exchange Rate is by this point.

Sometime around here, Yamato mass produces T-Rex zent with their own joint design.

rinse, repeat possibly in a different scale.

i thought making toys and a new animation production would be really hard

Well I'd say it's only a matter of time before there's another Macross animation, be it OVA or on Japanese TV... I'm just saying to feature the Regult (if not Zentran and Meltran mecha in general).

I`m sure this has been endlessly speculated about on MW but I wouldn`t be surprised if we saw a Gundam/Z Gundam/Eva style remake movie trilogy of Macross in the next few years for sure. If the animation looked like in Macross Fever it wouldn`t be too bad.

I`m sure this has been endlessly speculated about on MW but I wouldn`t be surprised if we saw a Gundam/Z Gundam/Eva style remake movie trilogy of Macross in the next few years for sure. If the animation looked like in Macross Fever it wouldn`t be too bad.

we already had a movie remake of macross though, it's called Do You Remember Love?

Does anybody know when this month this thing is supposed to be available for pre-order?

You have to go to a convenient store located in Japan that has the Yamato sticker outside their window. When inside, ask the cashier for a Yamato Regult ticket (with the purchase of something, of course). Scratch off the front of the ticket and a number will be revealed that you will later use as a password to a website (www.yamato-toys.com/exclusive4uanduonly). Be careful not to scratch the ticket completely off, because you may void it if you scratch too much of the lower bottom. (one ticket, one number, one order...I know, it's a drag)

By the way, the website won't be available until it's announced on some Japanese radio station (not sure which one). So listen close! Supplies are limited so make sure you have the radio on 24/7! And once it is available, make sure you place your order right away, because supplies are very limited. For such a low demand, they're still expecting a lot of orders.

Good luck!

P.S. You mind getting me a ticket, too? I can paypal in advance. I'll paypal 'as a gift' so we can avoid any fees.

Edit: This is a joke. lol

Edited by fifbeat

I might be in for one too, if there's a group buy or something for this, please LMK.

BTW, my post above this was a joke. But, hey, proves that anyone would be down for any antics Yamato has to offer. =D hehe

Sorry about that.

Edited by fifbeat

we already had a movie remake of macross though, it's called Do You Remember Love?

An In Universe Reboot of the original movie-in-the-movie. :ph34r: