The PS3 thread

Gaijin

Shaorin, you really need to invest in at least one Metal Slug game for your AES, no Neo collection can live without it.

Everyone list your consoles!! My consoles:

Neo Geo AES

SNES (Pal)

Virtual Boy

PS2 (US, Toxic OS)

PS3 (JP)

PSP 2000 (cfw)

Sega Saturn (JP, modchip)

Hi-Saturn (JP)

PC Engine plus CD-ROM2 plus interface unit/arcade card pro (JP)

PC-FX

My games collections for some consoles are woeful and slowly building but I do have Metal Slug for my AES (Even if its only MS4 : ( - the only one I could afford!)

If it was still 1994 I would be cool!!

Edited by Peabody

Weren't they actual boards that you could plug into an arcade machine?

Yes and no. They were the "same" yet you couldn't plug a home board into a MVS machine and vice versa. It was to prevent arcade operators from buying home carts that were cheaper than the arcade boards.

And since this is the PS3 thread, it might be worth noting that the PSN will be soon launching NeoGeo Station so you can download Neo Geo titles to your PS3.

Edited by Gaijin

This might be the only chance I have to play Metal Slug 2!!

Has an official Neo replica arcade stick been released for PS3? One came out for wii a few years back.

Actually not interested in Neo on PS3 unless I have the real stick, it has a very specific feel to it.

Edited by Peabody

This might be the only chance I have to play Metal Slug 2!!

Has an official Neo replica arcade stick been released for PS3? One came out for wii a few years back.

Actually not interested in Neo on PS3 unless I have the real stick, it has a very specific feel to it.

Yes, I had a Neo cart and a cd system. The arcade stick was tops. They have released the stick and the CD pad as well.

Edited by Gaijin

Weren't they actual boards that you could plug into an arcade machine?

yep, they were just arranged in the home cartridge differently

than they were in their arcade cart clones, since the arcade carts

were even MORE expensive than their home versions, and SNK did not want

arcade operators saving money by purchasing cheaper home carts for their

NEO-GEO "MVS" (Multi Video System)arcade cabinet.

interestingly, bootleggers actually once made and sold adapters to allow a NEO-GEO

arcade cart to be inserted into a NEO "AES" (Advanced Entertainment System" home console,

as today, the AES home cartridge versions of NEO GEO games are highly collectible,

and tend to sell for FAR more than the MVS arcade cart versions, which are very plain

cartridges with generic labels for the specific game, shipped in plain indistinct cardboard boxes.

many arcade carts, as ugly as they are however, are sought after by die-hard NEO-GEO gamers,

as many NEO games are VERY RARE, and some of the rarest, most popular titles, such as "METAL SLUG"

have AES home cart versions which are EXTREMELY RARE in the U.S. and Japan, and command $1500.00+ easily

whenever an example shows up.

the MVS arcade cabinet versions of these games, however, are far more common, and can be generally be had

for $100.00/$500.00, depending on the title.

as such, MVS arcade carts are often the only practical way for a NEO-GEO gamer to own and play

the rarer, more desirable NEO games...

((now, before anyone freaks out, bear in mind that i have realitively little invested in my tiny NEO-GEO collection;

all of the games i own are common titles, so i only have about $100.00-odd into my games, and another $400.00 for the AES console and an extra memory card))

Everyone list your consoles!!

SEGA GENESIS (1989 U.S. 1st edition,NO foreign market game lockout system)

SEGA SATURN (with GAME SHARK to load JPN games)

SEGA GAME GEAR

SEGA NOMAD (hand held GENESIS with LCD screen)

NINTENDO NES

NINTENDO SNES

NINTENDO ULTRA 64

NINTENDO GAME CUBE

NINTENDO Wii

NINTENDO GAME BOY 1989 version 1

NINTENDO DS (BLACK)

SONY Play Station 1

SONY Play Station 2

SONY Play Station 3 (forthcoming)

SNK NEO-GEO AES

Edited by Shaorin

What I've accumulated throughout the years in chronological order:

Atari 800 (given to me by my father circa 1984 to teach me how to type on a keyboard; first game I ever owned/played was Pole Position)

Nintendo NES (Christmas 1985 present from my parents; I was the happiest 6 year old kid in the world that day)

Sega Genesis (10th birthday present)

Nintendo Gameboy (begged my mom for this one, circa early 1990)

Sega Saturn (saved up for this one, circa late 1995)

Sony Playstation (purchased this and had it modded in early January 1998 for the sole purpose of importing and playing Gran Turismo).

Nintendo 64 (bought this to play Ocarina of Time, circa late 1998)

Gameboy Color (bought this to retire my original Gameboy, early 1999)

Sega Dreamcast (20th birthday present to myself)

Neo Geo Pocket Color (I don't remember what compelled me to buy this one, circa early 2000)

Gameboy Advance (bought this the first day it was released, summer 2001)

Sony Playstation 2 (purchased this in late 2004 to play GTA: San Andreas)

Nintendo Gamecube (purchased this in early 2005 to play Resident Evil 4)

Microsoft Xbox 360 (purchased in the summer of 2007)

Sony Playstation 3 Slim (purchased late 2009 for it's Blu Ray capabilities)

many arcade carts, as ugly as they are however, are sought after by die-hard NEO-GEO gamers,

as many NEO games are VERY RARE, and some of the rarest, most popular titles, such as "METAL SLUG"

have AES home cart versions which are EXTREMELY RARE in the U.S. and Japan, and command $1500.00+ easily

whenever an example shows up.

the MVS arcade cabinet versions of these games, however, are far more common, and can be generally be had

for $100.00/$500.00, depending on the title.

as such, MVS arcade carts are often the only practical way for a NEO-GEO gamer to own and play

the rarer, more desirable NEO games...

Even the rarest Metal Slug home carts don`t go for $1500, more like half that.

Like I said you need to invest in at least 1 metal slug game or there is no point in investing so much in the console. I was lucky and got my AES at a Hard Off in Japan for around $20 complete with arcade stick in working order and good cosmetic condition. Got another 5 common games for $4 each. Then I went to Super Potato and bought a couple of KOF carts and Metal Slug 4 for about $300 total. Seriously, if you`re interted in this stuff you need to go to Japan.

Edited by Peabody

As does mine.

Mine too! Original 60gig owner, I did however bought a slim last week with this Hori 11.6 in 720p HD LCD screen that clips on the slim. Now I know all of you will say why are you playing on such a small screen? Well I travel alot and I have my fat 60gig fixed to my livingroom set up and use the slim as a portable system, it fits in a basic laptop bag as well. Still need to power it though so not like a portable handheld but more like in a hotel room/lobby system.

I'm trying to post a pic of mine but I am on my iPhone but here's a link My link also Walmart has it now for 179, I got mine at frys for 210

Though I have the 60GB with the Backwards compatibility, I like the Slim's HDMI Control. I do miss the USB ports and Memory card readers, but I added a media bar to the slim and that takes care of that. So I like the old fat's design better, but the slim's control through HDMI I love. I hardly use my bc anymore anyways.

Though I have the 60GB with the Backwards compatibility, I like the Slim's HDMI Control. I do miss the USB ports and Memory card readers, but I added a media bar to the slim and that takes care of that. So I like the old fat's design better, but the slim's control through HDMI I love. I hardly use my bc anymore anyways.

What is this HDMI control of which you speak?

What is this HDMI control of which you speak?

Connect it to your TV and receiver via HDMI, and you can use your TV remote to control the PS3. Not every single function like the BD Remote, but basic navigation. You can also have everything turn on when you turn on one thing, etc. It's the benefit of a Harmony remote without a Harmony Remote. It comes in handy.

I actually bought a Harmony One but, never opened it because of the Bravia Sync between my PS3, my Sony BD player and TV, and my Yamaha Receiver. I actually don't really need it anymore. (anyone want to buy a brand new Harmony One?...I also have the PS3 adapter for it which was used with my 60GB and Harmony 880) :D

I do, but it's not easily accessible as my PS3. Still it would be nice to play them on my PS3.

Yeah I hear ya. Unless you're a collector you don't want to have to sit on an old bulky system that may not even be hooked up...

Yeah I hear ya. Unless you're a collector you don't want to have to sit on an old bulky system that may not even be hooked up...

if it's important to you, you make the space in your life for it...

Edited by Shaorin

It's nice and safe, just not easy to get to and play in my room, same goes for my GC,PSone,DC,and N64. :unsure:

if it's important to you, you make the space in your life for it...

It is important to me. It does have a space in my room, unfortunitly it's not a space near my tv where I can easily connect it. :o

Edited by SkullLeaderVF-X