Nintendo Gamecube Game Recommendations Needed!

trueblueeyes

Since I recently lost my PS2 to theft, I needed a new gaming system. I decided to save a little money and buy a gamecube. Now, all I need is some good games for it. Can I get some recommendations for good games?

I love action/adventure, RPG, and racing games. I don't really care for fighting games of any sort. I am also wondering if any of the Star Wars games available for the GC are a good buy. What think folks? Please help!

Thanks In Advance! :)

Melissa

as for star wars games, i found rogue squadron 3 to be a pretty good mix, driving, flying, walking. very well balanced in terms of those 3.

as for action rpg...can't go wrong with zelda.

haven't really played any racing games on the cube, but I'm sure you can do alot worse than F-Zero.

on a side not, I would go and grab ssx3, it been awesome for the first two. although i've heard it said that the GC version is the weakest, due to there not being enough buttons on the Cube controller.

Outside of Nintendo first party, I've found the GC to be lacking. Even though you don't care for fighting games, I'd still go with Super Smash Bros Melee, and definately grab a copy of Super Monkey Ball 2. Even if you find the main game kind of boring, the mini and party games are a blast. I think Monkey Billiards is actually the best console billiard game out there, including the stand alone billiard games.

GC was lousy for RPGs. The only good one that I can think of is Skies of Arcadia.

Well, the Squaresoft-Nintendo love is back. Nintendo will get FF Chronicles soon. And I love all of the titles I have, well, except for Yu-Gi-Oh! The Flasebound Hand, that's a lame quasi-RPG. Stupid kid brother <_< . Anyways, I've got The Legend of Zelda Wind Waker, RE 0 and RE 1, Rogue Squadron 2 and 3, Smash Bros Melee, 007 Agent Under Fire, Robotech Battlecry, FIFA World Cup 2002, Medal of Honor Frontline, Animal Crossing, The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time, and the two newest games I have are Yu-"Gee"-Oh! The Falsebound Hand, and Viewtiful Joe. VJ ROCKS!!!! B)) Since Rogue Squadron 3 and Viewtiful Joe I haven't played Animal Crossing in long ass time! My town!!! :ph34r:

If you ever liked side scrolling shooters, get Ikaruga. If you never tried them, get Ikaruga. Resident Evil is worth it if you can get it for under $20, Resident Evil 0, well don't ever speak of it. You might want Rogue Squadron, but only if it's cheap (I just thought something was off with this game). And Pikmin was good. And Skies of Arcadia. For racing, Auto Modellista is supposed to be halfway decent.

Zelda is NOT an RPG, it's an adventure game.

Anyways, PN03 is good if you like old-school action(it's more related to 1st-era arcade games like Galaga and Space Invaders than modern 3D action titles).

And Metroid Prime is a must-buy.

</pet-peeve>

Anyways, PN03 is good if you like old-school action(it's more related to 1st-era arcade games like Galaga and Space Invaders than modern 3D action titles).

zelda is was and will always be officially listed as action/rpg so twirl on it... ;)

If I'm right, there is suppose to be a special Gamecube bundle that will have the original 2 NES Zelda games, Ocarina of Time, and Majora's Mask all on one disk! :o This may be available at just Kmart righ now, but I would check around.

As for me, my current GC lineup is:

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (I also have the special preorder disc which has Ocarina of Time and the souped up version)

Metroid Prime

Rogue Squadron II

Ikaruga

Future games I plan on getting:

Soul Cailbur II (I know I'm a few months behind! :D )

Mario Kart Double Dash (this week!)

Mobile Suit Gundam (if the US release does indeed happen...)

F-Zero

</pet-peeve>

zelda is was and will always be officially listed as action/rpg so twirl on it... ;)

Actually, the first Zelda game to ever be listed as an RPG was Zelda 64. And that's only because Nintendo wanted to tap FF7's generation of a new market buzzword. The NES, SNES, and Gameboy games were all listed as adventures.

And I don't give a flying buttfrakk what Nintendo claims.

The only Zelda to even be close to an RPG is Zelda 2. Which sucked.

Metroid is closer to an RPG than Zelda(while still not being an RPG at all). But NO ONE ever calls Metroid an RPG, because it lacks swords.

Thanks for everyone's help! Seems like I have a nice list of titles to take to EB Games with me! (Thanks goodness they have plenty of used games on the cheap...luckily even new ones show up for sale in a week or two! )

I'll also make it a point to pick up Rogue Squadron II and III this week as well....and of course I want F-Zero. But since I am a big Star Wars fan, what about the other SW GC games? (Bounty Hunter, Clone Wars, Jedi Outcast...) Anybody have an opinion on these? Thanks again everyone! :) Nice to have a list of good games to pick up! B))

Melissa

Interesting little debate you kids got going here. What do you consider Secret of Mana and Secret of Evermore, eh? How about the Upcoming Crystal Chronicles?

Anyways, Games for the Cube?

Right off the bat, Metroid Prime. This is seriously the must-have title for the system. Beatuiful graphics, nearly flawless gameplay, and if you liked the old 2D Metroid games then this will be an even bigger treat for you because it plays exactly like the old games, just with a third dimension added and some different moves to take advantage of it. The game also lacks the annoyance factor every single other 3D platformer has suffered from. I'm pretty certain the game cheats in your favour whenever you need to do any platform style jumping, because it never becomes an annoying chore. You never find yourself trying again and again and again to make a single, simple jump. It just works.

Legend of Zelda:Wind Waker is a fun time, Mario Sunshine is allright, but rather weak for a Mario game. If you like the Zelda/Mana/Evermore style of gameplay, regardless of what you would call it, the Starfox Adventures game is a game to look for. My roommate loves it.

If you like to have friends over to play games with, then the Cube is definitely your system of choice. Mario Party is always fun when you've got a crowd over. The new Pac-Man game sound incredible! Three people control the ghosts, and one person, using a GBA controls Pac-Man. Pac-Man is the only person who can see the entire screen, and the ghosts have to track him down, and when they catch him, someone else gets the GBA and the game starts again with a different board. Again, Crystal Chronicles looks to be a shining example of group gaming, 4 people at once, all with GBAs to handle their menu options and attack menues, so the onscreen action never stops.

Not into the group thing? Well, Nintendo's 3rd party support steps in to offer some good news. Viewtiful Joe from Capcom is an interesting and innovative twist to the old sidescrolling brawler genre. Very stylish, very unique, very viewtiful!

If you liked the Resident Evil series, well the Cube has them all, and some new titles in the franchise. At the very least, the remake of Resident Evil is worth checking out. The graphics alone are some of the best on any system.

Liked Devil May Cry? While that particular series isn't on the Cube, P.N.03 might be just the thing. The same sort of action, but in a sci-fi environment.

Prince of Persia is getting a lot of praise, definitely a title to keep your eye out for.

RPG's are, unfortunately, a big shortcoming for the Cube, but that's probably going to change. Crystal Chronicles, while an action/RPG and not a straight up turn based traditional VGRPG, is on it's way from Square-Enix, the and seeing as how Nintendo is working with Square again, the Cube might see more games from them in the near future.

If you're big into RPGs and have a GBA, then chances are you've picked up one of the new Pokemon games. If this is the case you'll probably want to pick up Colosseum when it comes out in like March next year. Aside from the main idea of having Pokemon battles with 3D Gamecube graphics and effects, it apparently has an entire story mode in itself, and if it's anything like the N64 Pokemon Stadium games, it'll be packed with a ton of Mario Party-style minigames.

There's a couple more RPGs in the works for the Cube right now, but we won't know how they are until they're out.

The Star Wars games have pretty much been covered, though if you have a decently powerful PC you'll probably want to pick up Jedi Outcast and Academy for that, instead.

The Rogue Squadron games are fun, and definitely very pretty. Probably the best Star Wars flight games we're gonna get unless another X-Wing game ever comes out for the PC.

Bounty Hunter seems to be universally reviled. Apparently a great idea gone horribly, horribly wrong. Rent first to see what you think, before you buy it.

Haven't heard much on Clone Wars, mostly that it was ok but nothing special. I'd reccomend renting it to see what it's like.

The big thing with the Gamecube right now, if you couldn't tell already, is it's connectivity with the Gameboy Advance. Especially recently, companies are starting to take advantage of that more and more. Don't get me wrong if you have not intentions of ever picking up a GBA, the Cube is still a great little system on it's own, but the GBA connectivity is really making for some fun games that just cannot be done any other way. If you've already picked up a GBA for it's RPG or action lineup, then keep an eye out for upcoming games that take advantage of that.

All of Apollo Leaders recommendations are the best choices, and Viewtiful Joe also.

Make sure to pick up Double Dash!

I would pass on True Crime and Rebel Assault III, both of those games were really hyped and so far have gotten a bunch of negative reviews, or at least mediocre ones. But if you are a SW fan, Rebel Assault is far better than most of hte other choices. Stay away from games likes Clone Wars or Obi Wan.

Oh! And wait till the 17th/18th of November or until your local EB has the Zelda Bundle, its gonna have Ocarina of Time, Majoras Mask and two of the older Zelda games for the Gamecube for the same price as the normal Gamecube ($99)

Edited by Britai 7018

All of Apollo Leaders recommendations are the best choices, and Viewtiful Joe also.

Make sure to pick up Double Dash!

I would pass on True Crime and Rebel Assault III, both of those games were really hyped and so far have gotten a bunch of negative reviews, or at least mediocre ones. But if you are a SW fan, Rebel Assault is far better than most of hte other choices. Stay away from games likes Clone Wars or Obi Wan.

Oh! And wait till the 17th/18th of November or until your local EB has the Zelda Bundle, its gonna have Ocarina of Time, Majoras Mask and two of the older Zelda games for the Gamecube for the same price as the normal Gamecube ($99)

Screw EB (where the associates are like used car salesmen, and don't know anything more about games than what they read from the company e-mails). We at Gamestop have the Zelda Bundle NOW.

Well, I here is what I have:

Robotech Battlecry (Not too bad but gets boring but it the first game to fly the VF-1)

Starwars: Rogues Squadron II (finally on level 6)

RE0

Madden NFL 2003

Nascar Thunder 2003

Games I would like to get for the GC:

Madden 2004

NHL

2003 All-star baseball

Mario Cart

Starwars Rogue Squadron 3

Wallace and Grommit

Spyhunter 1 and 2

I will skip Medal of Honor because I have the series on PC.

I can't believe no one has recommended Soul Calibur II yet!

I own the Xbox version, and have played both the PS2 and the GC versions, and I'll recommend you get the GC version. The controller is surprisingly friendly to SCII (at least the way I hold it), and the graphics are only slightly les ssharp than the Xbox (barely noticeable). Link is also the best special character....

My only complaint about the GC version is the GC D-pad... it is just a bit small and unfriendly....

Yeah, some EBs have surplus Ocarina of Time and Master Quest on their shelves. Anyways, Trueblueeyes, I recommend that you get both Rogue Squadron games. Rogue Squadron 2 still hold's its own despite the amazing advancments in graphics and sound effects of Rogue Squadron 3. Clone Wars is awesome, great game. Rogue Squadron 3 is cool because you get Rogue Squadron 2 with suped up graphics and this time two player coop for a more challenging experience. Just make sure you have a damn good wingman playing with you. :D Splinter Cell for the GCN is better than on the Xbox and PS2 and PC. Hook up your GBA SP with Splinter Cell for GBA with the backlight on and turn off the lights and it's so cool. Your GBA becomes a cool little radar gadget. B))