GFF Gundams-are they worth it

I have been contemplating getting two that I like very much

GFF Fix Figuration 0024 MSZ-006 Z Zeta Gundam Bandai and Gundam Fix GFFN NEXT GENERATION #0041 Z II

just a few questions

How big are they

do they have metal

if you transform it will it crumble in pieces like the models

overall are they worth the high price?

thanks

Here's my experience with the wonderful world of GFF. :D

1. They are in 1/144 scale, more or less (at least, they seem to be the same size as my HGUC model kits). With all the extra hands, weapons, and add-on pieces, there are lots of little parts to keep track of.

2. They are all plastic.

3. I do not have any of the transforming ones, so I can't comment on them. However, most of them have parts that can be swapped out, and the fit is probably similar. My experience there is hit and miss. Some fit snugly and stay together even while you pose them. My GP04 Gundam is like that. Really nice in all configurations. Some fit together so tight that you need tools to pry them apart, so be prepared to get out a knife or file to get a better fit. Lastly, some are so loose that they fall apart routinely. My Shin Musha Gundam falls into that category. I can hardly pose the beast with some of the armour pieces falling off.

4. Value for price is kinda subjective. I'm a model guy mostly, so I usually only buy GFFs of things are even more expensive as models (typically as limited release resin kits). So, for me, it does tend to be worth it.

The only Fix Figuration figure I have is the very first one, the Full Armor Gundam. I love the styling and the detail, but the actual construction left a lot to be desired. There's very very little posability, the whole figure is made of PVC like some sort of expensive MSIA (gashapon disease and all). Lots of accessories and all that, but overall was a disappointment.

Supposedly they've gotten better. I've heard the new Inner Frame versions of the original releases are loads better and the Next Generation ones are supposed to be good. I just never understood why everyone thought the originals were so great.

Vostok 7

GFFs are mostly PVCs so they have bendy PVC problems especially those with long big guns. Otherwise they are really detailed with markings all over them. Try not to buy the transformable ones like the Zetas as they tend to fall apart and don't have much playability. You might consider getting the metal composite ones as i heard those are really awesome toys.

thanks guys that helps a lot

I think in this case im going to pass on them.

and instead i will get

BANDAI GUNDAM MG 1/100 SHIN MUSHA SENGOKU NO JIN MODEL

GUNDAM Bandai MG RX-93 Metallic Coating 1/100 MODEL KIT

BANDAI Gundam MG 1/100 Model - MSN-06S SINANJU Ver.KA

i was considering getting the GFFs because of my experience with MG Zeta V2 and Unicorn Gundam. I have the PG Zeta which is a masterpiece of work and engineering but the MG counterpart and Unicorn really suck. I have noticed any moving part models from Bandai are a disaster. So I thought the GFF Zeta and other one would be better designed

thank you again in making up my mind

I actually think that the Unicorn is the best MG in my collection now. What makes you say its bad btw? (other than the knee articulation which i felt was really dumb cuz they could've easily made it to have more leeway.

Edited by wolfx

I actually think that the Unicorn is the best MG in my collection now. What makes you say its bad btw? (other than the knee articulation which i felt was really dumb cuz they could've easily made it to have more leeway.

Well Once in a while i like to take my collection pieces out of the display and fiddle. All the panels on the Unicron Gundam are so hard to work around. The Piece that helps hold the bazooka broke nothing stays in place. I was thinking of replacing it with the Titanium version but I havent heard any review about it or seen pictures. The box pictures still make it look white and I am afraid it will break into a million pieces if I touch it.

I just wonder why they dont give some gundams the SOC treatment. Even the Spec would be nice

Generally speaking, I would treat GFF as posable, modifiable display models rather than toys that can be played with. A lot of optional parts that in some cases you can mix and match, incredible details (that you pay for), but very poor playability due to the sacrifice of fit/ joint space for looks.

Don't get them if you are not prepared to leave them to gather dust in the display. If you want to play with them on a regular basis, EMSIA, MSIA or even HCM-Pro is better.

I have only 1 GFF, #32 I think, the GM Sniper Custom / RX-78-2 Real Type. Here are some thoughts:

Pros:

- Very customizable, many of them can be part-swapped into a completely different mecha (though not all).

- Nice detailing

- Come with beautiful stands

Bad:

- 144 scale (this is more personal opinion, as I prefer 100 scale)

- Parts fall off easily. I've heard this from a few people so it's not just me :p . At the end I just crazy-glued the parts on mine to keep it in one form.

- Lots of accessories and parts to keep track off.

Generally speaking, I would treat GFF as posable, modifiable display models rather than toys that can be played with. A lot of optional parts that in some cases you can mix and match, incredible details (that you pay for), but very poor playability due to the sacrifice of fit/ joint space for looks.

Don't get them if you are not prepared to leave them to gather dust in the display. If you want to play with them on a regular basis, EMSIA, MSIA or even HCM-Pro is better.

what scale are the former ones you mentioned

Why are they better

What materials do they use.

and they dont seem to have a big line up

also whats with the Robot Spirits line.

Is this line Better???

Why are they better

Is this line Better???

EMSIA and MSIA are nominally 1/144, but EMSIA is a tad bit bigger. I'm not sure of the material, should be PVC? Rubbery. Definitely not on the same density and quality as GFF PVC. MSIA has a huge lineup, but EMSIA is a lot more restricted.

Why are they better? Suits my needs and style better. I like to play with them, change their pose frequently when I'm handling them, so they need to stand up to abuse and be much more posable than GFF. Detailing is definitely not up to GFF's mark, but that's always a bonus for me, so it's not a big loss IMO.

But if I'm to invest in a display piece that I can occasionally take out to repose, then GFF fits the bill. It largely depends on what you want to do with it.

If the Robot Spirits is what I think you refer to, I don't own any, so I can't tell...

EMSIA and MSIA are nominally 1/144, but EMSIA is a tad bit bigger. I'm not sure of the material, should be PVC? Rubbery. Definitely not on the same density and quality as GFF PVC. MSIA has a huge lineup, but EMSIA is a lot more restricted.

Why are they better? Suits my needs and style better. I like to play with them, change their pose frequently when I'm handling them, so they need to stand up to abuse and be much more posable than GFF. Detailing is definitely not up to GFF's mark, but that's always a bonus for me, so it's not a big loss IMO.

But if I'm to invest in a display piece that I can occasionally take out to repose, then GFF fits the bill. It largely depends on what you want to do with it.

If the Robot Spirits is what I think you refer to, I don't own any, so I can't tell...

MSIA are nice because they are posable and cheap. However, they suffer from gashapon disease worse than GFFs. I don't have any EMSIAs but they appear to be made from a similar material to GFFs but seem to have more posability (and conversely, less detail and less gimmicks).

HCM-Pros have become my favorites hand down. Killer detail and gimmicks (especially for the size), not very expensive, always tons of accessories, and primarily made from ABS (they feel like very well made miniature model kits). I have never felt disappointment with any of my HCM-Pros, something I can't say for my MSIAs or my GFF. The only real issue with them is that they can be a little fiddly to pose (similar to a newer MG kit) because they are just so posable, but once you have them posed they look fantastic. Unfortunately it seems like they are slowing down on the HCM-Pros. There's tons more designs I'd wish they'd make but they seem to be slowing down quite a bit :( Sad, considering they are so fantastic.

I don't have any of the Robot Spirits line but I have heard good things. There's a few I'd like to get I just haven't gotten around to it. I really hope they start releasing UC stuff in the Robot Spirits line, if they are as good as everyone says.

Vostok 7

Edited by Vostok 7

Why are they better

Is this line Better???

nugundamII,

MSIA and EMSIA are about 1:160-1:170 scale. They are not in any exact scale. A tad smaller than the GFF line. MSIAs are the earlier Gundam figures made by Bandai. IIRC, a good number of them were released here in the states. The MSIA catalogue is vast and plentiful. Prices are on the inexpensive side. Articulation is generally excellent.

EMSIAs are slightly updated versions of the MSIAs. Issues that plagued the MSIA version were generally improved upon in the EMSIA version. Personally, I don't like the MSIA/EMSIA line because the figures are not in an exact scale size. And because they are mainly made of PVC plastic, things like wings are thick and often come warped.

The Robot Damashii line is the successor to the EMSIA/MSIA line. The main change being - no more PVC plastic. Most reviews I've read of the Robot Damashiis have been highly positive. But all the Robot Damshii figures are so far only 00 Gundam related.

The GFF line is generally scaled to 1:144 but not exactly. The catalogue is decent with a good number of esoteric ones. The detail is fantastic on the GFFs and every pack gives you a ton of option parts that allow you to switch between 2 or more similar but different models (for ex. RX-78 <-> RGM-79). On the minus side, poseability is less than the MSIA/EMSIA line. Those same option parts that allow you to switch between models are also the reason why things continually pop off/fall off. EXTREMELY ANNOYING. Oh yeah, and those awful gumby hands that's a pain to insert a gun onto and won't hold securely. Once again the crappy PVC plastic used - though to be fair, things are a bit sharper and nicer on the GFF line. GFFs are fine as static display models, but terrible for any kind of posing activity IMO. Personally I also think they are overpriced.

Now the GFFN (Gundam Fix Figuration Next Gen.) line looks to be more promising. They are advertised as scaled down GFF Metal Composites. 1:144 scale. Less use of PVC plastic and more use of ABS. Also even some incorporation of metal! Reports say the ZII is fantastic with no more falling parts and not a bit of floppiness. A nice review here. The only downside is that they just started this line and only the ZII is out right now. The Aile Strike is next.

The one other Gundam action figure line to consider is the HCM Pro line. These figures are in 1:200 scale. Relatively inexpensive and poseability is fantastic. But they are small and as a result they aren't as detailed as the GFFs (though nice enough for me). Some of them have questionable non-canon markings and I think some of the early ones were rather floppy. On the other hand, they're mainly made of ABS plastic, so gone is the crummy gummy PVC plastic. While the catalogue is big, it seems Bandai is now less enthusiastic with this line. There has been suspicion by fans that Bandai will soon phase this line out. Sad because personally, I like HCM Pros. If anything, they make good company with Yamato's 1:200 VF Collections. :)

Edited by Vifam7