JSI 1/18 Scale F-14 Tomcat Announced

Beautiful plane...the Tomcat, and especially the Jolly Rogers scheme was my absolute favorite plane growing up in the 80's...

I'd love to have this model, but have nowhere near the skill required to make it look good, or room to display it...

Additionally, I'd like to say I'm continually impressed with the level of real world aircraft knowledge that exists around here at MW...

I do believe it comes pre-finished!

Wow, that looks incredible. $230 definitely induces some... trepidation, though. What is the qualify of these like? Will it hover around MSRP? How long before it's sold out/out of stock, etc?

Wow, that looks incredible. $230 definitely induces some... trepidation, though. What is the qualify of these like? Will it hover around MSRP? How long before it's sold out/out of stock, etc?
It will stay at MSRP or close until JSI says so. Any retailer undercutting the price by more than 10% will not receive stock. This is why some of the etailers that were charging below $200 had to change the price to at least $209 before shipping.

As for quality, JSI is dedicated to avoiding the mistakes of 21st Century Toys. Fans who got the JSI Lightning and Corsair noted much improved quality control compared to the 21st' releases. The weathering is all pre-applied, so what you see in the initial pics is most likely what you will get.

So I expect the quality to be superb.

If you dont want to waste your time by having to register at Toyark just to look at widely available pictures......

Then you can go HERE and see them without hassle.

Enjoy.

Just a heads up, if you are a TFW2005/HISS Tank member, the login id/password should be the same

You know, it is beautiful.. but am I the only one who thinks something just looks... well, wrong about the head-on shots?

I know it's probably nit-picking to a riduculous degree, but the whole plane looks ... twisted. The nose looks off center from the canopy, and both look misaligned with the fuselage centerline. Or maybe it's just that both of the tails are leaning the same way... <_<

I dunno. I think if they offered an unassembled/unpainted version I'd probably jump on it, but I really don't like the factory weathering, and this thing would take a lot of work before it would be accurate. Sure, it's a nice display piece.. but for $230 I also could probably get a 1/32 kit (or two), build it, detail it up, and actually find that I have a place to put it when it's done.

Btw, seconded on the VF-1 scheme. I think it's actually completely unique in terms of markings. You see all manner of squadrons using some sort of diagonal band on the nose, but I've never seen anyone else who did a full length horizontal stripe... and now that I think of it, someone needs to make a VF-1 VF-1. ^_^

Edited by Chronocidal

David, I read in another forum that they are fixing the tails. Another person on the same forums thats about as nitpicky as you (not that that's a bad thing) was mentioning that the overall scheme and look is correct for a late 80's F-14A. Also mentioned that they were using the incorrect gun vents.

The one thing I noticed was the black paint around the cockpit and nose wasn't lined up very well. Other than that, it's beautiful. Can't wait to lose 250 bucks on this.

You are not the only one

I am concerned about these/this as well, even more when i have to consider the shipping to Australia "if" i am able to afford one and if i can not get one locally.. :(

Edited by altermodes

• 2 weeks later...

JSI Working On New Soldier/Pilot And Q/A Session

We are hosting a q/a session at Toyark with JSI and taking questions NOW! Not sure when we will see the new design for the pilot and soldier figures, I'm thinking the earliest is before this year but it's more likely the beginning of next year.

Edited by Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0

You might want to mention that the Ensign Jack Ernie story is total BS. (But it's so famous and so oft-told that most people and websites think it's true) :)

Are those markings final? Missiles seem lacking in paint apps, considering the scale. Sparrows especially, most 1/144 ones are much more detailed.

• 2 weeks later...

Will GI Joe / Star Wars figures fit in the cockpit?

Ive tried fitting my star wars figures in a MAISTO 1/18 scaled jeep wrangler but the star wars figures were a bit to big/tall to fit in the seats..Are GI Joe / Star Wars figures scaled at 1/18 or are they slightly bigger?

Edited by MolotovsHere

Gotta agree with David Hintgen: VF-84 flew only early to mid A's - this toy is definitely more an A+ which VF-84 never flew to my knowledge. Too bad, really, would've loved to see one in the scheme of VF-111 "Sundowners" which this particular model won't be correct for.

Edited by aquilon

• 2 weeks later...
You know what would be bad @ss? A 1:18 scale Valkyrie line. Can you imagine? An entire line of figures, destroids. That would be the toy to end all toys.

Unless they did a 1:18 Monster.

I like your thinking on a Valkyrie Line, but a 1:18 Monster, it would be as big as a car!! Hmmm, is that really a bad thing? :rolleyes:

Any new pics of the F-14 Tomcat?

• 2 weeks later...