My Scratch-build ARMD Launch Arm and Base

MaveRick

i am an "aethetic type" collector of which i find happiness with just plainly looking at my toys, even the mere sight of some pile of boxes over my room's good enough to make my day..

Year 2008, i started trying out stuff that would compliment with my macross collection, took out some of the valkyries, and just felt the need to showcase them further.. so came the mechanical chain base idea and some 1/48 model kit aircraft crew.

This year, i thought of taking it to the next level, and do a scratch build diorama for my DRYL valks.. basically "we" were working on creating this:

mmvalk01a.jpg

took around a week, before i finished a 1/144 scale scratch build launch arm.. this will only serve as a guide since i intended to make one for a 1/48 Yamato Valkyrie:

c4au.th.jpg c1a.th.jpg

c2ap.th.jpg c3at.th.jpg

Grandma passed away just last week, so i had to take a leave from work and spend my week at her place.. since i don't mingle too much with relatives, i was basically spending my last 5 days of nothing but either working on this project or going online..

Day 1: Finished Detailing on ARMD Launch Arm

i've decided to make this part a bit thicker than lineart.. with the weight of a 1/48 Valkyrie and a Fast/Strike parts, using even a styrene sheet wouldn't hold it for prolonged time. Some details not present on the line-art were also added.

11590278.th.jpg 70987896.th.jpg

61503341.th.jpg 51534757.th.jpg

Day 2-3: Partially Completed Launch Arm's Wrist and 2 Clamp Fingers

I made a mistake at the Finger Plate area.. the yellow/black stripes should pretty much cover the entire plate. Still have to correct it.

13140575.th.jpg 99524134.th.jpg

63516112.th.jpg 20731499.th.jpg

Another stupendous mistake was i didn't test fit the clamp on the valkyrie with strike parts on.. it turned out wider than the valk, good thing i haven't permanently glued the finger part together.. quick fix i can only think is have the fingers angled at 45 degrees..

Day 4-5: Partially Completed ARMD Launch Base Section

Used a combination of styrene sheet, cardboard and mat.. im thinking of reinforcing it further with plywood at the back, depending on how it's gonna hold up.

15a.th.jpg 16ammv.th.jpg

17aqyh.th.jpg 18auqi.th.jpg

MechTech: Thanks.. main construction material is cardboard and styrene sheet.. I've been an avid follower of your scratch build project too, and i have to say your one of my inspirations.

nylcbv and big F: thanks! :D

BlueMax: i'm not sure about that.. but right now i'm contemplating of creating another one or building a 1/48 or 1/60 Scale Macross Factory and Maintenance Bay.. I'm starting on making measurements for the later.

anyway if any of you here guys have line-art scans/screen shots of it.. i'd be very glad if you can share it to me.

After a few modifications on the manipulators fingers and discarding the idea of reinforcing it with transparent acrylic.. here's how it looks like right now:

3528532366_3a1ba5a2cc.jpg

Very Cool Indeed! When the live action version of the movie comes out they need to give you a call!! :rolleyes:

Very Cool Indeed! When the live action version of the movie comes out they need to give you a call!! :rolleyes:

It's awesome Maverick. Do you have any sketches and plans of the launch arm? I'm planning on scratch building my launch arm in 1/72 and 1/144. Heard that Starship will release the 1/72 but there's still no release date yet.

BTW, for those who bought the 1/72 launch arm, did the arm sag?? I am thinking on making an aluminum arm.

Chris

maverick, this is the coolest...if u r building a macross diorama, i think u should paint, weathering, panel lines etc etc ur valk for more realistic effect...cant wait to see the finished dioramas.

Heard that Starship will release the 1/72 but there's still no release date yet.

chris, where did u hear the news?

Kicker773: hey pare.. pinoy ka pala!? i'll pm you just in case i plan on taking custom commission.. as for now, i am starting to plan out my next project, a blown up 1/60 Scale Macross Factory/Maintenance bay (Dimensions would be at 40" x 14" x 20") I'll make anther thread for it soon. ;)

big F: thanks mate.. a nice toy deserves at least an equally nice display :D

RedLion: thanks.. that would be cool! :D

shinagami: i intend on doing that for my ongoing project right now.. though i'm not that confident yet with doing modifications on the valk itself as i don't have a decent background on modelling, but i might as well give it a shot. (time to skim through some painting tips threads)

ahiachris: i do have some sketch plans... and some line art scans i' got from browsing through 'wem cheng's' build up threads. i didn't know too about Starship releasing it at 1/72, that would be cool!

thanks EXO..

does any have pics of the Macross Factory/Maintenance Bay.. lineart or anything i can use for reference?

i'll also need some detailed shot on the vehicles.. i hope anybody here could help me out.

Kicker773: WHAT THE...... BISAYA MAN SAD KO BAI!!!! pure breed that is hahahahaha... MG's? that would be overkill!! hahaha

>EXO<: gawwwdd... don't tell me pinoy ka rin?!?!

Vegas.: i am contemplating of making another one.. or two of it with the necessary changes (more accurate that is.. i flunk on the signal arm part obviously) :unsure:

thanks EXO..

does any have pics of the Macross Factory/Maintenance Bay.. lineart or anything i can use for reference?

i'll also need some detailed shot on the vehicles.. i hope anybody here could help me out.

Nice to see all the Pinoys coming out of the woodwork! :lol:

I'm sending you what I have so far on the Launch Bay, I hope it helps! Will look through the rest of my stuff and send you anything else I find. Cheers!

LaunchBay.zip

Edited by Jaybats

hahaha.. seems like this thread's turning out to be a haven for pinoys :p thanks guys for the compliment..

jaybats: woah! thanks a lot!!! looking at the pics made me figure out some inaccuracies with my build, i'll probably make the necessary changes on my next launch arm..

Kicker773: why don't you visit here once and bring one of your MG's, then we'll pair it with the launch arm :D

really.. i would wanna entertain custom commission, but shipping cost at sending something with this size would cost a bit.. i remember somebody selling his yamato valkyries at insanely cheap price, but turned out the total cost including shipping exceeds over the average selling price of it.

Ignacio Ocamica : thanks.. probably might need more improvements if ever :D

Edited by MaveRick