Stand Alone YF-19

warrhead

I was holding off on the -19 until I saw some repaints. In light of the recent uninspired color schemes I have decided to get an original one after all, but obviously I don't want breakage or crooked gun pods. Is this stand alone -19 here http://www.hlj.com/product/YMT00053 free of the original design flaws?

Actually, the re-release of the YF-19 stand alone has the fixes, the one that came out about a year ago. However, its very hard to determine whether you are getting a reissue or not, unless the seller or shop stated so. I ordered mine from HLJ last year, thinking of getting the re-released (fixed) version after the release date. But turned out I was 'lucky' enough to get one of the dead stock of ver.1 from 2006. So I get all the crooked gunpod and some loose joints. So while you can get a fixed stand alone version, HLJ may not be the best place to go for. As it seems a crap shoot on what you may score.

Nope, to get the one with the fixes you have to track down the uber rare YF-19 Fastpack edition.

Unfortunately, getting the fastpack edition doesn't guarantee a perfect YF-19. I bought a YF-19 with the fastpack last year and was disappointed to find that both shoulders were very loose. I don't know if the FP version was ever re-issued. The best bet to get a perfect YF-19 is to probably get one of the repaints when they come out. Assuming, of course, that the shoulder issue will be non-existent in the newer versions.

I was lucky enough to get replacement shoulder and arm parts from Overdrive's Yamato replacement service. It's probably my dumb luck, but the replacement shoulders were very loose as well <_<

The looseness of the shoulders can be easily fixed with sneaking in some supa glue into the rotation points. Just squeeze small amounts of supa glue on the edge of a paper strip and apply into the small crevice of the shoulders and rotate the shoulder till the glue dries to create friction and its sufficiently tight after that. But be careful when you sneak the glues in so other surfaces of the yf19 don't come in contact with the glue. You can only sneak glue in as you can't really dismantle the whole shoulder... because the caps (at the armpits) that cover the screws that fasten to the shoulders together, are glued shut.

Sigh, I wish Yamato didn't do that. But I've noticed these people have always done that - glueing shut areas that aren't put together properly - the shoulders' articulation looseness are obviously a fixable problem but I'm forced to opt for a less appealing option to solve it. I wish there is some way to tell these people not to glue any parts at all... they should have the sense to see that it could save them money on the glue and the time to apply them, as well as save on the aggravation they are giving us. <_<

Edited by mr.chogokin

hmmm, then get the 25aniversary yf-19, or better yet, the new recolor orange and white that will come out soon. My stand alone yf-19 25th aniversary black and gold came in excellent condition without the bugs.

Not that it helps, but the first YF-19 I bought was a 25th anniversary and it was a total mess. Its leg swivels were so loose it couldn't stand in gerwalk mode, and its shoulders flopped around like they were barely attached. I took it back, and now I have a V1 YF-19 with a crooked gunpod and cracked plastic but at least it can stand.

Hopefully the new recolors would fix the issue then. Could Graham possibly ask Yamato about the issue? Pretty please with a cherry on top? I pre-ordered a Orange and white YF-19 (the historical comparison to the YF-15 won me over) and I hope that it will turn out ok.

I find it quite meaningless that the yf19 being the star of the show is crappily made, when compared to the yf21 and vf11b. The case is the same with the old 1/72 series. You start off with yf19 that most people think is the best in the world, then a year or so later when the vf11b w/ fastpack comes out, suddenly the yf19 does not even deserve to breathe the same air with his other mac plus brother.

Is the yf19 superior to the yf21 and the vf11b in name only? Yamato seems to be telling so.

In terms of quality both the YF-21 and VF-11 are superior toys.

I have the Fastpack edition of the 19 and it is fine in terms of crooked gunpod and landing gear and shoulders, but the worst issue is still the fact that it can't lock the chest properly in battroid mode which sucks.

Was the 19 the first 1/60 non VF-1 that Yamato did or was that the VF-0 ?

I guess they were still experimenting back then, which is why i would love Yamato to go back and re-engineer the YF-19 so that it has the same quality level as the 21 and 11.

Edited by thankheaven

I'm sorry, but can anyone tell me what exactly did Yamato fix since the first edition? How can you tell whether it is a fixed version when you order one?

You can ask the seller if they are selling a fixed version or not, but other than that the boxes are the same. IIRC, they fixed the crooked gunpod and the landing gear issue.

Last month I got the stand alone YF 19 Isamu Dyson Style and it too had the crooked gun pod. When I choose to display it, I am going to put it in Battroid mode. I also purchased the YF 29 25th anniversary special and that one is much better. Forget which site I ordered from there are so many I do business with.

Is the FP edition really that rare?

I don't know, I'm asking. :unsure:

It's not. People are just hanging on to it simply because it's the better version. If you can live with the crooked gunpod and the back landing gears that cannot fully deploy, get the 1st version. Both versions' nose necks are hard as hell to transform, file them down and you're okay. The fold boosters and the fast packs don't really add much to the YF 19 in my opinion, so you're not missing much. Either get the 1st version now, or wait for a new reissue in a month or two, :lol:

Is the FP edition really that rare?

I don't know, I'm asking. :unsure:

Well I've seen it go on eBay for 400-500 USD, wayy above the retail. Of course I don't think you can find it in stores/online stores anymore. Not worth it at such high prices IMO, since you can get a standalone YF-19, YF-21 and 2 Foldbooster/fastpack sets for that price.

I think there have been reports of a non-25th anniversary, standalone, fixed YF-19 floating around. Of course, to be safe, you could just buy the recolours that are coming out at the end of this month.

I think there have been reports of a non-25th anniversary, standalone, fixed YF-19 floating around.

yep, got me one last year... no crooked gunpod, properly canted rear landing gears... the standalone 19 plus the FPs only cost me less than $150. although it is floppy mid-transformation, it does hold reasonably well in all three modes... not nearly as tight as my YF-21, but good enough to be displayed on a flexy (gotta angle it downwards though in f-mode to hide that gullet :mellow: ).