CG VF-4

mighty gorgon

Those both look good. I always thought that having the sun centered in the middle of the tail looked better (though I guess that's obvious since I chose it for my paintjob). One of the reasons I left the sharkmouth off is because it's a variable fighter. Who would want to pilot a mecha with a mouth on it's crotch?

Edited by Nied

Those both look good.  I always thought that having the sun centered in the middle of the tail looked better (though I guess that's obvious since I chose it for my paintjob).  One of the reasons I left the sharkmouth off is because it's a variable fighter.  Who would want to pilot a mecha with a mouth on it's crotch?

Ouch! and is still worse, who would want to pilot a mecha with *it's own* mouth on it's crotch?? :D:D:D

I always thought that having the sun centered in the middle of the tail looked better (though I guess that's obvious since I chose it for my paintjob).

Done, and with a yellow rim around the red. It appears in some references and in others doesn't... Still a lot of work to do (inner fins, starboard color map, etc.)...

Regds,

gorgon

(I'll be back after Kendo!)

post-5-1074211020_thumb.jpg

Any chance we could see your model in the SUndowners color scheme I made?

Version WITH sharkmouth. some artifacts from the rendering and some problems in the exhausts are evident, but it took 35 min to render (in a 2.8 GHz Hyperthread P4, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB Serial ATA!!!!), mainly due to the radiosity coupled with a heavy antialias setting, so I did not re-render it...

post-5-1074360449_thumb.jpg

Edited by mighty gorgon

...and version WITHOUT sharkmouth, artifacts or exhaust. Slightly different angle but same background. Any idea for backgrounds will be welcome... (this one was rendered in 40 min, the difference was in the settings to aviod artifacts).

Regds,

Gorgon

p.d.: work to do: finish panelling, spec and gloss maps, some other detail, redo helmet, etc. etc...

post-5-1074360894_thumb.jpg

Make that a little bit bigger and you've got one hell of a great wallpaper! One question: Are the wings all white, and if so, are they supposed to be that way? The standard "Navy" scheme is gloss gull grey over white with upper surfaces (except flaps and sometimes wing leading edges) in grey. I'll see if I can scare up some good airial photos for you to use as backgrounds.

Make that a little bit bigger and you've got one hell of a great wallpaper! One question: Are the wings all white, and if so, are they supposed to be that way? The standard "Navy" scheme is gloss gull grey over white with upper surfaces (except flaps and sometimes wing leading edges) in grey. I'll see if I can scare up some good airial photos for you to use as backgrounds.

The wings were white, because I made a mistake with the surfaces... I had the proper layer (gull gray), but I did not activate it. I thought the difference was because of different surface orientation, but no... it was just a plain old mistake. I am checking the correction with a render now (25% done and running), and I'll repost the renders. No problem to render it at 1280 x 960, but I should find a better background or at least post also the alpha map!

And finally a large render of the last version with "no step" signs in the wings, white ailerons and pilot name (myself!)

Regds.

Mighty "Iceman" Gorgon

:D:D:D

Sweet! Might want to clean up the AA a bit but other than, brilliant.

Now can you produce the same shot but with different squadron and color schemes? How about an Enigma, Blue Rose, Low Vis or something like that?

Keep it up!

Sweet! Might want to clean up the AA a bit but other than, brilliant.

Now can you produce the same shot but with different squadron and color schemes? How about an Enigma, Blue Rose, Low Vis or something like that?

Keep it up!

You are right... the AA was a bit low (LOW was the precise setting). Somehow I could not get the CPU above 50% and I did not used a higher AA. Now it is Ok (Enhanced High).

Other schemes? Yes, but give me some time... I would like to make first a couple of flanker schemes and another mesh also (see my other post!). And of course a scheme of the SVF-999 "Norwegian Blue Parrots"!!!!

Regds,

Gorgon

(at low AA)

post-5-1074660150_thumb.jpg

Edited by mighty gorgon

First (public) attempt at weathering. Main surfaces look OK, but I am not completely satisfied with the drips in the horizontal ailerons... It is exactly the same as in the wing leading edge, but it stands out too much over the white... Must improve that.

*** UPDATED *** following Doktor Gonzo observation (below)

p.d.: I rendered it too large... I'll keep the other WIP smaller...

post-5-1074987538_thumb.jpg

Edited by mighty gorgon

Gorgon:

Looks great!  Getting to the point though where that rendered jet exhaust is starting to look really hokey by comparison.  Why not drop that effect entirely, and paint it in with Photoshop after the fact?

Ouch!!! You're right! I have the desktop at 1024x768 and I did not notice the lousy exhaust!!! :blink::blink::blink:

I'm trying to get a better effect (turbulence ideally), but it's still miles ahead...

*** I 'VE UPDATED THE IMAGE ABOVE ***

Edited by mighty gorgon

Why show the exhaust at all? In real life you wouldn't be able to see anything unless the engine is set to full throttle. Most of you shots show it cruising, so no exhaust effect at all might be more apropriate.

You could try putting the glow from the engine fire inside the exhaust housing...

At the risk of sounding critical, the engine pod thrusters look as if they should go deeper than what they appear.

Good model, But it just doesn't seem like it could pass for a 'real' VF-4 yet...but good nonetheless.

• 3 weeks later...

Mmmm... Three weeks of heavy work are finally over. I could finally get back to the VF-4. Not much really (and that's why I reduced a little the image posted). Just added position (based on the F-14 distribution) and anticollision lights.

I know this can be a little "controversial", but I decided to add the anticollision lights of the tail fins (upper and lower) in the leading edge, rather than the other way around (as most profiles suggest), as the screengrab I got from 2012 shows them this way.

Comments welcome, before going to the next step... FINISHING THE DARN MODEL!!!! :p

Regds,

Gorgon

(already fed up with the surfacing of the VF-4)

post-5-1076476668_thumb.jpg

Edited by mighty gorgon