Hi...I'm new here and I have a question about my 1/60

pondo

I just started getting back into macross last year. I've got a yamato 1/48 cannon fodder, some revoltechs and some other stuff.

Anyway, I just bought a MIB yamato 1/60 VF-1J with fast pack off of ebay.

I'm wondering if there are different versions of this. Many of the photos I'm seeing around here are slightly different. The ones I've seen around here look more like my 1/48. Moveable knee caps, for one thing.

And the legs come off mine, too. Is this an earlier version?

Anyway, I gotta say, going from a 1/48 to a 1/60 was a bit of a shocker. The robot mode is pretty flimsy and is a bit difficult to transform. Mind you, I'm VERY impressed with how well the fighter mode stays together. Even with Fast packs!

Take care!

one other question....It seems to me like the thruster/feet should be able to slide into the legs a bit when in fighter mode. But they won't. Am I right on this?

Edited by pondo

You bought a version 1.0 1/60 VF-1J... it's heavy and has metal in it. Not the same as the new 1/60 you're seeing around here (commonly called the v2). You should visit the site in my sig and surf around for a bit.

Edited by jenius

Yeah check the website anymoon (like jenius mentioned) and checkout overdrive.com to see the latest releases. Definately sounds like you purchased the old v1 not the v2 releases.

Also check out a sampling of the threads here:

VF-1J dedicated

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=28832

VF-1 2 seaters

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...t=0&start=0

VF-1 Max TV

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=28803

VF-1J Cannon Foder

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=29102

They should give a better idea of what you are looking for.

Edited by logos

I just started getting back into macross last year. I've got a yamato 1/48 cannon fodder, some revoltechs and some other stuff.

Anyway, I just bought a MIB yamato 1/60 VF-1J with fast pack off of ebay.

I'm wondering if there are different versions of this. Many of the photos I'm seeing around here are slightly different. The ones I've seen around here look more like my 1/48. Moveable knee caps, for one thing.

And the legs come off mine, too. Is this an earlier version?

Anyway, I gotta say, going from a 1/48 to a 1/60 was a bit of a shocker. The robot mode is pretty flimsy and is a bit difficult to transform. Mind you, I'm VERY impressed with how well the fighter mode stays together. Even with Fast packs!

Take care!

one other question....It seems to me like the thruster/feet should be able to slide into the legs a bit when in fighter mode. But they won't. Am I right on this?

Hopefully you are happy with it. I hate seeing the auctions on Ebay where the seller is not being clear on whether or not they are selling a v1.0 or v2.0. It's almost as if they are hoping some unsuspecting collector new to the hobby will take the bait and bite.

Yep, definitely a V1. Hopefully you didn't pay too much for it.

Vostok 7

Thanks a lot. I didn't actually pay that much. I got it for $60 U.S.

I'm not really bummed because I was looking for something that looked great in fighter mode with fast packs. and this was WAY cheaper than a 1/48 with FP. And like I said, it actually is more solid as fighter than my cannon fodder.

You bought a version 1.0 1/60 VF-1J... it's heavy and has metal in it. Not the same as the new 1/60 you're seeing around here (commonly called the v2). You should visit the site in my sig and surf around for a bit.

WOW!

That's a great site in your sig!

Thanks!

I'm not really bummed because I was looking for something that looked great in fighter mode with fast packs. and this was WAY cheaper than a 1/48 with FP. And like I said, it actually is more solid as fighter than my cannon fodder.

Be that as it may, I think your opinion might change when you get your hands a on a v2 1/60. Welcome to the boards and say good-bye to your bank account. ^_^

Be that as it may, I think your opinion might change when you get your hands a on a v2 1/60. Welcome to the boards and say good-bye to your bank account. ^_^

Thanks man.

Yeah, I made the fatal mistake of working in Hong Kong for a few months last year. You only have to see ONE 1/48 scale yamato in a window to get the ball rollin' on spend stupid money.

The big problem is that My partner is not only supportive of this addiction...she's an enabler.

I remember how pretty much the same "thing" pretty much happened to me when I got into Macross again as well. Not really knowing what was out there, I sampled a bit of this and a bit of that.

Ended up getting a 1/72 YF-21, 1/60 Elintseeker (v1), Toynami "Masterpiece" VF-1S and a shadow alpha fighter as well as 'Scott' Bernard and then I got my first 1/48 some time later.

I have to honestly say I was going off my Robotech nostalgia here; mainly Palladium Books nostalgia. At that point, I hadn't ever actually seen EITHER Robotech OR Macross.

One BIG thing that swayed me towards Macross was Yamato's rendition of the valkyrie.

I basically thought along these lines:

Hm.

So - if the Americans make these crappy cheap Jetfire imitations and call them 'Masterpieces' - then imagine what they did to the actual anime when translating it?

If the Japanese companies make these beautiful, precise cool things - then perhaps it's because the anime merits it?

Welcome and happy hunting.

Oh - and prepare some tissues to cry when you get your first QC problem Valkyrie :)

Pete

I have those Palldiumbooks too hidden under my 7 tons of Rifts books. :D Although my discovery of Macross came from Macross Plus and Macross II when they came over here. And then I learned why Robotech sucks in comparison...... Oh well if it wasn't for Robotech I would have never gotten into Battletech and bought all those Palladium books (I serious when I say I have allot of them).

FYI Nothing makes bookshelves sag like a Palladium game collection! :p

Edited by logos

I remember how pretty much the same "thing" pretty much happened to me when I got into Macross again as well. Not really knowing what was out there, I sampled a bit of this and a bit of that.

Ended up getting a 1/72 YF-21, 1/60 Elintseeker (v1), Toynami "Masterpiece" VF-1S and a shadow alpha fighter as well as 'Scott' Bernard and then I got my first 1/48 some time later.

I have to honestly say I was going off my Robotech nostalgia here; mainly Palladium Books nostalgia. At that point, I hadn't ever actually seen EITHER Robotech OR Macross.

One BIG thing that swayed me towards Macross was Yamato's rendition of the valkyrie.

I basically thought along these lines:

Hm.

So - if the Americans make these crappy cheap Jetfire imitations and call them 'Masterpieces' - then imagine what they did to the actual anime when translating it?

If the Japanese companies make these beautiful, precise cool things - then perhaps it's because the anime merits it?

Welcome and happy hunting.

Oh - and prepare some tissues to cry when you get your first QC problem Valkyrie :)

Pete

I wouldn't so much call this a major mistake since I didn't know that version 2.0 even existed. All I knew was what I saw in the "toys" section of macross world.

I remember I ALMOST bought a toynami robotech masterpiece until I saw the yamato one.....

The saddest thing is realizing how inexpensive they all were in hong kong compared to here. The same 1/48 that i got for $80 over there is $219 here.

If I knew back then.......

I wouldn't so much call this a major mistake since I didn't know that version 2.0 even existed. All I knew was what I saw in the "toys" section of macross world.

I remember I ALMOST bought a toynami robotech masterpiece until I saw the yamato one.....

The saddest thing is realizing how inexpensive they all were in hong kong compared to here. The same 1/48 that i got for $80 over there is $219 here.

If I knew back then.......

I remember being in your shoes when I first got into the hobby a little over a year ago. Buying all sorts of what nots and not knowing what I was getting. Heck, I got into a bidding war over a Joon for crying out loud; and won the damn thing! I purchased two Toynami Masterpieces and three v1 1/60's (before the v2 1/60's were available). Then when I got my 1/48's that was all she wrote. I got rid of those Toynami's pieces like a bad habbit as well as the 1/60's. I eventually purchased three more v1 1/60's just because they were more rare: Elintseeker, VF-1D and the VT-1. I plan on practicing my weathering skills with these though.

It would be nice if people new to the hobby could find this website before shelling out any cash for their toys. There's a wealth of information here to help collectors make the best possible purchases for their different tastes.

to each their own I guess.

Pondo,

One other thing about this site that might help. The folks on here are a LOT of help.

Back in December, I had purchased the Olive Drab and Speccial Weathering versions of Yamato's 1/60 Destroid Tomahawk. This is my favorite mecha in Macross, so I went ahead and got all three.

Now, when I got them, Olive Drab was missing the main decal sheet. Well, a friend of mine directed me here, where I was able to find a way of getting said decal sheet, and I was able to get it in short order.

I think you're in good hands.

And, for the rest of you, THANKS!!!

Enjoy your 1/60. Best of luck to you. This addiction is more expensive than any drug out there.

It is true! I just looked at what I spend in 2008 and I am way to embarassed to share even with my macross comrades. It is a larger percentage of my yearly income than I would have guessed.