Strike a Pose! Ver. 3.0

aw, thanks guys but I can see how awesome Vegas' pics are... they're plain to see and they leave me seething in jealous rage! :lol: I just bought a new laptop though so that booklight will have to do for now and the foreseeable future...

lol, i use my phone's led flash/light... :lol: ... but i hate the noisy background i get... i'm thinking of buying some black felt paper for a background... i read somewhere that it's a good non-reflective surface esp. the black one...

Monster, i use spot metering and long exposures to take those low light pictures. See if your camera has those features.

yeah, got those... i get the long exposure thing but not so sure about spot metering... i think i've tried this a couple of times but i don't remember the results (was just playing around and not really paying attention)... btw, the spot metering thing can only be set to center or auto-focus point... tips??? :)

Edited by m0n5t3r

gallery_8437_264_37358.jpg

(shot this last month so i can't remember the settings i used, but i do remember using a low iso :mellow: )

looks good to me, it just probably need a bump in contrast (curves or levels) in PS....maybe

lol, i use my phone's led flash/light... :lol: ... but i hate the noisy background i get... i thinking of buying some black felt paper for a background... i read somewhere that it's a good non-reflective surface esp. the black...

yeah, got those... i get the long exposure thing but not so sure about spot metering... i think i've tried this a couple of times but i don't remember the results (was just playing around and not really paying attention)... btw, the spot metering thing can only be set to center or auto-focus point... tips??? :)

Yeah, so I use the spot metering in two ways... all these shots are done in a dark room with my book light as the only light source

_DSC5984.jpg

For this shot I set the auto-focus control to manual and set the camera to aperture priority and set the F to 5.6-2.8 and focused on the illuminated part of the valk, that should allow the camera to get enough light to get a proper exposure on the parts of the valk hit by my light source.

Either manually adjust the lens or use the auto focus and while the lens is focused switch it over to manual focus so it doesn't seek in the dark.

Then I put the camera into timer mode (or use the remote if you have one) and take the picture.

_DSC5968.jpg

For this picture, the steps are mostly the same but after I've focused on the valkyrie I change the focus point to either the background (preferably a part of the background that's getting some spill over light) or a part of the subject that isn't getting direct light from the LED... this is gonna make the camera try to get a proper exposure off of the background or the dimmer parts of the valk which should throw the entire subject into the correct exposure but blow out some highlights so it looks like it's getting hit by lots of light...

hope that helps.

btw, just want to add that i like izzyfcuk's set-up the best... and of course his off-the-charts pics... :)

Yeah, so I use the spot metering in two ways... SNIP!

lol, still trying to digest all that info... lol :lol:

but seriously, i pretty much get what your saying except -

while the lens is focused switch it over to manual focus so it doesn't seek in the dark.

all these shots are done in a dark room with my book light as the only light source

yep. doing the same thing... i just want to have the background w/ less noise...

i'll try these out and see if it works or if it's just a matter of the limitations of my cam...

Edited by m0n5t3r

btw, just want to add that i like izzyfcuk's set-up the best... and of course his off-the-charts pics... :)

lol, still trying to digest all that info... lol :lol:

but seriously, i pretty much get what your saying except -

yep. doing the same thing... i just want to have the background w/ less noise...

i'll try these out and see if it works or if it's just a matter of the limitations of my cam...

I shoot with the ISO set at 200. It's done on a tripod with a long exposure anyways so no need to use a higher ISO

also, if find the light is too strong you can use a diffuser screen in front of the light... in my case, a thin fast food paper napkin that I wrap around the light head... haha

Edited by eugimon

I shoot with the ISO set at 200. It's done on a tripod with a long exposure anyways so no need to use a higher ISO

also, if find the light is too strong you can use a diffuser screen in front of the light... in my case, a thin fast food paper napkin that I wrap around the light head... haha

lol.

i stopped doing long exposures, my rebel xsi had alot of hot pixels stuck on the sensor and fortunately they eventually went away but not with my sd550 camera :(

lol.

i stopped doing long exposures, my rebel xsi had alot of hot pixels stuck on the sensor and fortunately they eventually went away but not with my sd550 camera :(

boohoo mr. 5D mkII... you'll get no camera sympathy from me! :lol:

get an ebay flash and triggers aka poverty wizards ^_^

... yeah... that's still around 400 bucks (after shipping) for an SB 800... and since I still have 4 valks on order and I just bought a new laptop... the "my light" will have to do. :lol:

... yeah... that's still around 400 bucks (after shipping) for an SB 800... and since I still have 4 valks on order and I just bought a new laptop... the "my light" will have to do. :lol:

400 bucks is nothing, Just need to cut down on some non-essentials. Cut out food and bathing and you'll save a ton on your grocery and water bills (also save a lot on toilet paper).

Edited by anime52k8

just get a sb25 or older kinda model, im planning to get one myself.

im using a set of yongnou CTR-301 poverty wizards right now....so far no misfires yet

400 bucks is nothing, Just need to cut down on some non-essentials. Cut out food and bathing and you'll save a ton on your grocery and water bills (also save a lot on toilet paper).

er... I'm married and we have a joint bank account? :lol:

just get a sb25 or older kinda model, im planning to get one myself.

im using a set of yongnou CTR-301 poverty wizards right now....so far no misfires yet

but it won't shoot in TTL mode with my camera... :(

Edited by eugimon

Okay. I found a black background. I found 1 lamp. I think I may need 2. Here are 2 test shots of my new baby. Any pointers are more than welcome.

i like them both. what camera did you used?

i like them both. what camera did you used?

I use a Samsung S630. anime52k8 guessed it. He must have one to. Did the settings give it away?

Here is test shot 3. I moved the light. I love this valk. I think I prefer the TV packs color over the Movie packs.

TestShot3.jpg

I use a Samsung S630. anime52k8 guessed it. He must have one to. Did the settings give it away?

Here is test shot 3. I moved the light. I love this valk. I think I prefer the TV packs color over the Movie packs.

TestShot3.jpg

actually I checked the EXIF data on your pictures :lol:

very nice photo's for such a little camera.

LOL

Are Samsungs not good cameras? I bought this one for $100US on sale about 1 1/2 years ago.

Well.. they're not bad cameras but the Samsung S630 in particular is known for taking noisy pics at pretty much any ISO over 100...

Your shots look great though, love the black backdrop!

actually I checked the EXIF data on your pictures :lol:

very nice photo's for such a little camera.

That's interesting. How do you do that. And thanks.

Well.. they're not bad cameras but the Samsung S630 in particular is known for taking noisy pics at pretty much any ISO over 100...

Your shots look great though, love the black backdrop!

Noisy? Does that mean the picture looks "grainy"? Thank you for the compliment. I can only get better from here though. I really need a 2nd lamp though. <_<

Noisy? Does that mean the picture looks "grainy"? Thank you for the compliment. I can only get better from here though. I really need a 2nd lamp though. <_<

photobucket rips all that info when you upload your picture. All someone needs to do is go view your account and they'll see the stats, what camera you used, lens, settings, all that stuff.

If you're looking at the original file, just right click from explorer and click on "properties" and it'll list it there as well.

and yeah, grainy = noisy.

edit:: and you're getting better so fast, just look at the difference from the 1D pictures you posted the other day! wow!

Edited by eugimon

all that info is viewable under the details tab of the properties window.

post-4286-1249098287_thumb.jpg

ISO noise. as the ISO goes up the images look more and more grainy. Higher ISO=higher light sensitivity (i.e. needs less light to take the picture) and greater amounts of noise.

post-4286-1249098347_thumb.jpg

:edit: and I get beaten to the punch again. that's what I get for trying to include visual aids.

Edited by anime52k8

post-4286-1249098287_thumb.jpg

ISO noise. as the ISO goes up the images look more and more grainy. Higher ISO=higher light sensitivity (i.e. needs less light to take the picture) and greater amounts of noise.

post-4286-1249098347_thumb.jpg

:edit: and I get beaten to the punch again. that's what I get for trying to include visual aids.

lol, I opened that first attachment and kept click on "cancel" wondering what new thing was wrong with this laptop... :lol:

photobucket rips all that info when you upload your picture. All someone needs to do is go view your account and they'll see the stats, what camera you used, lens, settings, all that stuff.

If you're looking at the original file, just right click from explorer and click on "properties" and it'll list it there as well.

and yeah, grainy = noisy.

edit:: and you're getting better so fast, just look at the difference from the 1D pictures you posted the other day! wow!

Oh I see. That's interesting that photobucket provides that sort of information. The pics of the 1D and the 1J are the same settings. I think the light and backdrop really make the difference.

In that case I think I'm going to stick to the lower ISOs. It will make my pics look good.

I call this set - Progression.

Progression1.jpg

Progression2.jpg

Progression3.jpg

Progression4.jpg

Looks good, but correct me if i'm wrong to state...

TV -

VF-1D Trainer

VF-1J CF Commander

VF-1J Vermillion Squadron Commander

VF-1S Skull Squadron Leader

DYRL

VF-1A Skull Squadron

VT-1 Super Ostrich (only linear when seen in the movie, and not rank)

VF-1S Strike Valkyrie

Looks good, but correct me if i'm wrong to state...

TV -

VF-1D Trainer

VF-1J CF Commander

VF-1J Vermillion Squadron Commander

VF-1S Skull Squadron Leader

DYRL

VF-1A Skull Squadron

VT-1 Super Ostrich (only linear when seen in the movie, and not rank)

VF-1S Strike Valkyrie

Well. I was close then right? I am just missing a few. I will soon have the 1J CF Commander and the VT-1 SO. I just don't have them yet.

Edit - I guess I also need to get a 1S with Yellow for the TV Skull Squadron Leader?

I apologize. I should have been putting these pics in the other thread. Since they are not really poses.

Edited by JCSaves

Well. I was close then right? I am just missing a few. I will soon have the 1J CF Commander and the VT-1 SO. I just don't have them yet.

Edit - I guess I also need to get a 1S with Yellow for the TV Skull Squadron Leader?

I apologize. I should have been putting these pics in the other thread. Since they are not really poses.

Keep them here they look very nice. ;)