MOSPEADA Fix

Ok, so I started a thread a little ways down here, about how terribly disappointed I am with Shadow Chronicles, but how it is the only thing that feeds my need for new MOSPEADA-esque material.

Well, that quickly devolved into some Harmony Gold bashing and arguing, so got closed down. Can't blame the mods for doing that.

... BUT...

I would still like some advice.

As I said before, with no new MOSPEADA material coming out (you lucky MACROSS people with all of your sequels and spinoffs!!! So jealous at times), I would like some advice.

What else can I watch to feed my need? Something else that a MOSPEADA fan might enjoy?

Love the underground rebel group fighting aliens who have already conquered Earth part of it.

LOVE the transforming bikes part of it.

I've already watch MOSPEADA (obviously), Love Live Alive, Megazone 23 (all parts), Bubblegum Crisis, Bubblegum Crash, AD Police (old one and newer one), Red Photon Zillion, Blassreiter, and am currently watching Viper's Creed and Rideback, working my way through Bubblegum Crisis: Tokyo 2040, will soon start Starship Troopers (anime, not Roughnecks, though I've seen that too) and Orguss, and am currently downloading Get Ride! AMDriver.

So what else would people recommend for me to watch?

Check out Appleseed and the sequel Ex Machina. Spiral Zone seems to fit your criteria as well. :ph34r:

I liked Ex Machina, and am downloading Appleseed now.

Thanks.

Wasn't there an old anime, also designed by Aramaki, about a kid who finds a military powered exosuit?

Not Megazone, though the basic premise is a little similar, though this battle suit doesn't transform.

Wasn't there an old anime, also designed by Aramaki, about a kid who finds a military powered exosuit?

Not Megazone, though the basic premise is a little similar, though this battle suit doesn't transform.

Gunhed? Come to think of it, Gunhed has a quasi-transformation.

Heard of it but never seen it. Is that the racing one?

Well yeah, it's mostly about racing (and fighting while racing). I don't want to spoil much, just watch and know for yourself.

But IMO, I think it's pretty good, second season is a letdown though.

Edit: And anyway, what about EXO-Squad? If you love the old Robotech, you are gonna love EXO-Squad more.

ad...if you like stuffs like VOTOMS or MOSPEADA, you might also like Vifam and Dougrams which are currently subbed.

Edited by REbirth

Gall force is a awesome series, Its old school and great. Eternal story has some awesome battles and mecha in it!! Some of the designers from Mospeada also worked on Gall Force, hence some of the similarities. B))

Edited by 505thAirborne

Ok, so I started a thread a little ways down here, about how terribly disappointed I am with Shadow Chronicles, but how it is the only thing that feeds my need for new MOSPEADA-esque material.

Well, that quickly devolved into some Harmony Gold bashing and arguing, so got closed down. Can't blame the mods for doing that.

... BUT...

I would still like some advice.

As I said before, with no new MOSPEADA material coming out (you lucky MACROSS people with all of your sequels and spinoffs!!! So jealous at times), I would like some advice.

What else can I watch to feed my need? Something else that a MOSPEADA fan might enjoy?

Love the underground rebel group fighting aliens who have already conquered Earth part of it.

LOVE the transforming bikes part of it.

I've already watch MOSPEADA (obviously), Love Live Alive, Megazone 23 (all parts), Bubblegum Crisis, Bubblegum Crash, AD Police (old one and newer one), Red Photon Zillion, Blassreiter, and am currently watching Viper's Creed and Rideback, working my way through Bubblegum Crisis: Tokyo 2040, will soon start Starship Troopers (anime, not Roughnecks, though I've seen that too) and Orguss, and am currently downloading Get Ride! AMDriver.

So what else would people recommend for me to watch?

Hey RavenHawk, just saw your list of Anime you've seen and noticed that GUNBUSTER, AKIRA and PROJECT A-KO are not on your list. Fighter planes, good laughs, total seriousness, awesome mecha and motor cycles are included with these, in no particular order. Either way amazing anime's if you haven't seen them yet. Sometimes, the older Anime's are way better. Artwork, talent and story are their strengths!! take the kids to grandmas, make some popcorn and enjoy!! B))

Edited by 505thAirborne

Gall force is a awesome series, Its old school and great. Eternal story has some awesome battles and mecha in it!! Some of the designers from Mospeada also worked on Gall Force, hence some of the similarities. B))

Yeah...I know Kakinuma worked on it...did Aramaki?

I have to say, though, that I only really liked Eternal Story. It seemed too complete to really engender any sequels, although I thought they got around the definite finale in a rather clever way.

Once they finished off Lufy's story, I lost interest, and I never saw Rhea Gall Force or anything after.

Check out Venus Wars. It's not a really obscure anime, so I don't know why it can never be the first show that comes to mind everytime a bike related anime is requested. It's got bikes, tanks, bike chicks, tank vs bike goodness. It's nothing fantastic either... but it just might scratch that itch!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venus_Wars

post-7892-1236146167_thumb.jpg

post-7892-1236146198_thumb.jpg

post-7892-1236146234_thumb.jpg

post-7892-1236146259_thumb.jpg

First time I saw Venus Wars was at a small comic book convention in 1992, on VHS, raw and no translation. This is when Anime was still really under ground and no companies were releasing them yet or worse people would say "Japanese animation, you mean... Speed racer??" then roll your eyes.

For anyone else who has not seen Venus Wars, its awesome, A must see!!! Just make sure you watch it subbed though, the Dubbed version is terrible.

Ok, haven't been online all day, so will try to reply to everyone here in one posting:

RD Blade:

Never heard of Gunhed.

yellowlightman:

Yes, MADOX-1 was exactly what I was thinking of. Thanks.

REbirth:

Actually, I'm a big big Exo-Squad fan. Not surprisingly, the resistance fighters on Earth are my favorite part of that series. First volume comes out on DVD this month. Should be better quality than my downloads.

Gubaba:

I've downloaded the first Gall Force movie (Eternal Story) and the third (forget the name), but haven't had a chance to watch them. Looking forward to the first one a lot, including seeing the flying bike type thing that transforms, but from skimming through the third one, looks a little too silly and meant to be enjoyed because of the girls for my taste. I do have Rhea Gall Force on DVD, which is a great, dark, desperate, future terminator type of movie, and like it, and enjoyed Scramble Wars (lol).

505thAirborne:

Yeah, Gall Force was another ARTMIC production, like MOSPEADA, Bubblegum Crisis, Megazone 23, and Madox-1.

505thAirborne, again:

I have Akira, and enjoy the motorcycle part of it, but haven't watched it in years and need to rewatch it and see if I enjoy the rest. Never seen Gunbuster or Project A-KO... have to google those.

mr.chogokin:

I've heard of Venus Wars, but only in reference to the monowheels. Is it good?

Well, if you're looking for quality anime with bikes in it, you won't be disappointed with it. Only downside is they can't transform. :lol:

That IS a downside... but I'll check it out.

Thanks.

Any of you all here watched Blassreiter? If you haven't, though it starts with motorcycle racing and zombie-like creatures, it sort of ends up become... I guess I would call it a cross between the anime Witch Hunter Robin and the manga Biomega.

I think Spiral-Zone might be something to check out. The Japanese version not the craptastic US animation. The design and art work is amazing very Mospeada like, but it was never made into an anime just a series of stories in hobby magazines back in the 80's.

Lots of good info on it here.

I think I've seen some of these toys before, but assumed they were from Venus Wars, which I've never seen but have seen some vehicles from.

I think I've seen some of these toys before, but assumed they were from Venus Wars, which I've never seen but have seen some vehicles from.

Definitely make time for GUNBUSTER and Project A-KO when you get time!! Just watched A-KO today for the 1st time in like 8 years, it was exciting and I laughed my ass off, forgot how much I really liked that one!! Gunbuster is pure legend, all I can say!! B))

If you like bikes you can't go past Megaforce or Galactica 1980. ;) ;)

Taksraven

I remember those flying bikes in Galactica 1980.

But let's not forget Super Force and Streethawk!

RD Blade:

Never heard of Gunhed.

My mistake. After digging around a bit, I learned that there is apparently no anime version of Gunhed. I assumed there was because the concept lends itself well to anime. I saw the (horrendous) live action movie once and remember thinking to myself "I bet the anime version of this doesn't suck."

Edit:

Sorry for the double post. :unsure:

Edited by RD Blade