Macross Books

Penguin

16 hours ago, Shawn said:

Some more info on the book...can't wait!
https://www.shogakukan.co.jp/books/77803879
超時空要塞マクロスパッケージアート集
List price 5500 yen (tax included)
release date 2023.02.20
format/page A4 / 176 pages
ISBNs 9784778038793

More than 100 package illustrations are posted!
The SF anime monument "Super Dimension Fortress Macross" celebrated its 40th anniversary since its broadcast in 1982.
Its popularity began with the development of a wide variety of plastic models that reproduce a group of unique mechanics!

The plastic model package art that grabbed the hearts of boys at the time was by Yoshiyuki Takanagi and Artmic. The illustration still attracts many fans.
The package art illustrations are fully reproduced with high-definition printing technology! Valkyrie, Destroid, Regard's shadows, and the expression of dirt, the painter's brushstrokes are now vividly revived. Box images of plastic models are included as much as possible. Valkyrie, Destroid, Zentraedi army mecha, etc. Also introduces setting images that became materials for box art. Mr. Kazuki Miyatake who designed "SDF-1 Macross", Mr. Masaharu Kawamori who designed "VF-1 Valkyrie", an interview article, and Mr. Yoshiyuki Takani, a box art artist representing Japan, and Mr. Kazuki Miyatake Also includes a dialogue.
The listener is Mr. Hidetaka Tenjin!
<Recommended information from the editor>
Includes more than 100 original drawings in good condition, as well as valuable manuscripts as materials. Even the missing manuscripts that were not actually used in the box art. The definitive edition of the "Super Dimension Fortress Macross" package art collection.

This is a must buy! I can't wait to get my hands on it.

Masami Watanabe...the prolific Macross illustrator no one knows about....IMO the the 3rd member of the three greats of old school Macross illustrators...Takani, Suzuki, and Watanabe....we'll probably never get a Collected Works book filled with his art though...but I'll hold on to a fool's hope that someday we might...

3 hours ago, Shawn said:

The green tomahawk mystery to be revealed next month!
Another Takani(L) vs Suzuki(R) showdown

Guessing much like the "VF-1C"...The kits were already molded or were too far in the production line process...the VF-1C head on the Gerwalk kit and molded in Tan for the Tomahawk...LOL

In terms of "showdown"....my first impressions of Macross "art" came in the form of the boxart for the toys.....being a toy guy more so than a kit guy....my bias leans towards Suzuki...

No variant as far as I know...but can't rule it out I suppose...

Same color used for the Tomahawk included in the 4-pack...

large.20200429_222535.jpg.008635ff46a78b

In both of these Takatoku vinyl releases, as well as the conversion kit....the illustration used in the packaging art is the "cannon" color version established by Suzuki's Tomahawk illustration...so it would be interesting to know which one came first?  The idea that Takatoku's role and influence as a major sponsor seems plausible....especially since it seems that they went with Artmic's (Suzuki's) Macross illustrations exclusively for their Macross product lineup boxart....

Edited by jvmacross

The other Takatoku Tomahawk items....

large.20200509_194300.jpg.9abdfad5e17529

And the only Takatoku branded Tomahawk release not to feature Suzuki's illustrations...oddly enough it seems heavily influenced by Takani's "green" Tomahawk illustration...

large.20200501_215749.jpg.686fb4bf45fc26

image.png

In fact....several do....VF-1J Battroid...GBP-1J....lol

Not sure who this illustrator was...but an original art from this set of illustrations recently sold for a princely sum recently...

3 hours ago, jvmacross said:

And the only Takatoku branded Tomahawk release not to feature Suzuki's illustrations...oddly enough it seems heavily influenced by Takani's "green" Tomahawk illustration...

I'll bet we'll see a Miyatake drawing showing the dynamic original pose Takani based his on (like those rough draft action poses we saw in the HJ Vintage books..or was it the Kawamori book..one of those where they provided an action pose to the artist). It seems familiar already...was it already in recent book?

1 hour ago, Shawn said:

I'll bet we'll see a Miyatake drawing showing the dynamic original pose Takani based his on (like those rough draft action poses we saw in the HJ Vintage books..or was it the Kawamori book..one of those where they provided an action pose to the artist). It seems familiar already...was it already in recent book?

yes, the rough concept drawing from Miyatake was from HJ Vintage Vol.4....

large.20200904_165052.jpg.cbb2d60ec16b46

...Artmic based their illustrations seemingly off of the lineart....so more static poses

From Mr. Mikimoto's web site http://www.mikimotoharuhiko.com/diary.php?itemid=554&catid=16

"Regarding the delayed 'Macross Art Book', there are many things, and I can't explain them.
We are progressing little by little. Designs that were thought to be lost and unusable, it seems that some of them can be published by borrowing positives stored in the publisher, This year, it seems that we will be able to proceed with the work of adding and correcting the work for the art book."

Regards

They should just take a page (no pun intended?) out of Kawamori's last illustrations book and throw anything they can find into it..."usable" or not....some of the stuff in that book were extremely rough sketches...and they were awesome...:good:

With that said I will continue to patiently await the release of this book....because what else can we do...lol